Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 3 May 2009, 17:03 (Ref:2454673)   #1
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ireland wins A1 GP Crown

Its not that often we win things but I make no excuse for abject patriotism. Oh lay oh lay !

... oh and for feck sake will somebody in Formula One give Adam Carroll a drive !
Old 3 May 2009, 17:12 (Ref:2454675)   #2
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Well done on the title, I've recorded that today, I won't bother watching now. Don't you know one of the unwritten rules of forum etiquette is you don't post spoilers.
Old 3 May 2009, 17:23 (Ref:2454679)   #3
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcemob View Post
Well done on the title, I've recorded that today, I won't bother watching now. Don't you know one of the unwritten rules of forum etiquette is you don't post spoilers.
Really sorry about that... didn't mean to spoil it for anyone
Old 3 May 2009, 18:29 (Ref:2454703)   #4
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcemob View Post
Please accept my apologies for my response, very over the top but I had just woken up after an afternoon nap due to being kept awake last night by a screaming baby next door.
Congratulations Ireland.
Old 3 May 2009, 20:54 (Ref:2454770)   #5
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
I have to say that I was absolutely delighted for Team Ireland and Adam Carroll. I also thought that Neel Jani was very gracious in losing the title. Bloody hell, these are racing drivers; they're not supposed to act like decent people.

The biggest problem with posting spoilers is that people in different parts of the world don't get to see the TV coverage until later than we in the UK do. Even we don't see the Sprint Race live, but I thought I would like to see it 'as live' so I carefully avoided going anywhere on the 'net, particularly autosport.com and the official website, which would have let the cat out of the bag.

On the event thread I posted a link to a report and results report after the sprint race, so people could make up up their own minds about whether or not to take a look.
Old 4 May 2009, 09:39 (Ref:2455054)   #6
kerrmanningjarv
Veteran

England
London
kerrmanningjarv should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well done to Ireland, totally deserved the title - after yesterday's performance nobody can say you didn't deserve it. Neel and Filipe gracious in defeat which was great to see.

Also turning some heads was Dan Clarke. The British contingent was a bit muted until the feature race, where the sight of him rising to 9th at the first corner then passing AUS and closing down MEX got the crowd going. Hopefully now he has more experience in the car he can be a force to be reckoned with next season if he returns as seems to be expected.
Old 5 May 2009, 01:32 (Ref:2455550)   #7
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Champions!!

Had a fantastic weekend at Brands Hatch, thanks in no small part to Adam Carroll's superb qualifying performances and race wins to claim the championship for Ireland. As davyboy says, hopefully one of the F1 teams will pick up the phone and offer Carroll a drive for next season.

Old 5 May 2009, 01:52 (Ref:2455553)   #8
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
regarding the title - adam did what was necessary to win the title and you can't ask for more than that can you? superb work.

regarding spoilers - my view is that if you're waiting for a delayed broadcast of the event you should stay away from news sources and the internet. it is not the internets responsibility to enable you to remain unspoilt, nor is it the televisions responsibility. i have no problem with the timing and the title of this thread. suggest to mr mob that he stays off the internet post-nap and pre-broadcast (especially when grouchy) in future
Old 5 May 2009, 11:28 (Ref:2455764)   #9
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
Its not that often we win things but I make no excuse for abject patriotism. Oh lay oh lay !

... oh and for feck sake will somebody in Formula One give Adam Carroll a drive !

Hear hear!!

And re the spoilers, it's not often that Ireland can claim a notable motorsport achivement so I think you can be forgiven for the excitement!

Not a bad year for Ireland sporting wise as a whole so far considering how little or no facilities there are here for people to pursue sport at a high level, except for bloody nag racing.
Old 5 May 2009, 13:15 (Ref:2455835)   #10
lucky charms
Rookie

lucky charms should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brilliant season for Adam & the whole team & well deserved win, it made the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end,

I've been very disappointed at how little coverage our whole participation in A1 has recieved in Ireland whether the team wins or not, the car should be paraded down O'connell St. except for the fact most people would have no idea what the hell it was.
there was talk at the end of the coverage about the possibilty of an irish road circuit event for next year.......which would in some small way address this issue lol

i agree with previous statement about complete lack of facilities
Old 5 May 2009, 13:26 (Ref:2455839)   #11
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And what does Motorsport Ireland, the countries governing body have to say about Ireland winning a major international championship?

http://www.motorsportireland.com/ind...C13B1E3403.htm

3 paragraphs!
Old 5 May 2009, 15:50 (Ref:2455916)   #12
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's a bit pathetic. Being nation vs nation perhaps A1GP should have done more to get national associations on board, on the other hand most of them are clueless administrators, and they are aligned with the FIA that tolerates but does not promote A1GP in any way, and the national associations would also bulk at supporting anything that exists to make a profit for a privately owned business. Oh hang on, the last one isn't really an issue...
Old 5 May 2009, 16:14 (Ref:2455933)   #13
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graz View Post
And re the spoilers, it's not often that Ireland can claim a notable motorsport achivement so I think you can be forgiven for the excitement!
I don't think anyone needs to apologise as there has been no spoiler.
The event had happened, and so by the time this thread was started was history. If the thread starter had breached any rule (unwritten or otherwise), then how long should people refrain from discussing a past sporting event? Perhaps talk of the 2007-08 season should be restricted because I haven't seen the DVD yet?

BTW. Congratulations to Ireland for the result.
Old 5 May 2009, 22:38 (Ref:2456143)   #14
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnetON View Post
And what does Motorsport Ireland, the countries governing body have to say about Ireland winning a major international championship?

3 paragraphs!
Pathetic and dare I say typical. I also see Eugene Laverty's exploits in World Supersports is going largely unnoticed in the Irish media too. We're a strange bunch us Irish.
Old 5 May 2009, 22:39 (Ref:2456145)   #15
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Perhaps talk of the 2007-08 season should be restricted because I haven't seen the DVD yet?
Switzerland won that one. There, saved you a couple of hours of your life, you can thank me later...
Old 6 May 2009, 00:36 (Ref:2456173)   #16
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

3 paragraphs!
that's completely ridiculous. mind you, i'm not sure what the msa would do if we won, perhaps buy a round of tea in the brdc centre...
Old 6 May 2009, 08:10 (Ref:2456296)   #17
davyboy
Veteran

It is, you're right. I'm not sure whether its to do with the FIA disdain for A1GP, or just laziness on the part of Motorsport Ireland... either way, its a great shame.

My brother told me yesterday that Adam Carroll's got an offer of a drive in F1... not sure that he wasn't just whipped up in the euphoria of it all, or whether there's a glimmer of truth in it. It would be awesome if he did.
Old 6 May 2009, 10:57 (Ref:2456370)   #18
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Well I don't care what MSI thinks - I had a brilliant weekend and I got to stand at Brands Hatch and sing the Irish national anthem while our team received an international title. It don't get any better than that!
Old 6 May 2009, 12:45 (Ref:2456452)   #19
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Quote:
It is, you're right. I'm not sure whether its to do with the FIA disdain for A1GP, or just laziness on the part of Motorsport Ireland... either way, its a great shame.

My brother told me yesterday that Adam Carroll's got an offer of a drive in F1... not sure that he wasn't just whipped up in the euphoria of it all, or whether there's a glimmer of truth in it. It would be awesome if he did.
He could easily get a crack in the Force India. Fisi and Sutil are on very thin ice as I understand.
Old 6 May 2009, 13:24 (Ref:2456478)   #20
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilPumpkin View Post
I got to stand at Brands Hatch and sing the Irish national anthem while our team received an international title.
That'll be the remixed version they played? But you're right, it doesn't get any better than that, what a proud moment.

Quote:
My brother told me yesterday that Adam Carroll's got an offer of a drive in F1... not sure that he wasn't just whipped up in the euphoria of it all, or whether there's a glimmer of truth in it.
I overheard a fella in the Brands Hatch megastore saying that Adam Carroll will be driving for Lotus in F1 next year. I presume he meant Lola, as I haven't heard anything about Lotus entering a team, but hopefully he was right in saying that there is a seat waiting for our champion!
Old 6 May 2009, 14:17 (Ref:2456506)   #21
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnsie View Post
I overheard a fella in the Brands Hatch megastore saying that Adam Carroll will be driving for Lotus in F1 next year. I presume he meant Lola, as I haven't heard anything about Lotus entering a team, but hopefully he was right in saying that there is a seat waiting for our champion!
If Lola do enter F1 next year, I'm sure Birrane would have him in a race seat in a heart beat.
Old 6 May 2009, 14:25 (Ref:2456514)   #22
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Declan Quigley wrote very positively in the Independent about Carroll's chances:

Quote:
Irish A1 ace Adam Carroll is set to drive in Formula One next season and has his sights set on joining a new Irish-owned F1 team which is aiming to join the grid...
Old 6 May 2009, 14:33 (Ref:2456518)   #23
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So..... stay in A1GP where he's a proven fast driver and try and win "the double" next year, or go to a new F1 team where they are likely to pedal around at the back of the grid for at least a year.....
Old 6 May 2009, 14:51 (Ref:2456531)   #24
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Quote:
So..... stay in A1GP where he's a proven fast driver and try and win "the double" next year, or go to a new F1 team where they are likely to pedal around at the back of the grid for at least a year.....
If I may wander slightly off-topic for a moment, the introduction of the £40m budget-cap in Formula One should greatly reduce the gap between front-runners and back-markers, so regardless of what car Carroll may be driving, I think that he would be capable of scoring points regularly - which is a solid aim for a debut season. There's no reason to say that Lola wouldn't be a race-winning outfit either, as F1 is becoming increasingly unpredictable... on paper, Ferrari is almost the worst team on the grid so far this season, and only three months ago you would have been scoffed at for suggesting that would be the case.

As an Irish motorsport enthusiast, I would love to see Team Ireland challenging for the A1GP championship again next season, and Adam Carroll is one of the best men for that job, without any doubt. Having said that, for the sake of his future career and the possibility of leaving his mark in Formula One, I feel that Carroll should "take the plunge" (if the opportunity presents itself) and race in F1 next season. It's an exciting prospect - an Irish driver racing for an Irish team in Formula One, while Team Ireland continue to be successful in A1GP and try to win back-to-back titles.
Old 6 May 2009, 15:58 (Ref:2456563)   #25
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnsie View Post
Declan Quigley wrote very positively in the Independent about Carroll's chances:
Well Declan was lurking around the Ireland garage in the pits with a microphone so you have to figure he knows something