Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 17 Nov 2008, 00:04 (Ref:2336112)   #1
jackschmidt
Racer

jackschmidt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alan Jones hits back at Doom and Gloom news

Either he's trying to mask the financial woes (RAB Capital thing) and preserve his Surfer's Paradise race or he's telling the truth.

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/...oast-news.html

Hopefully things do go well for A1GP. Getting Surfer's Paradise is certainly the step into that direction. Let's see the contract signed and delivered.
Old 17 Nov 2008, 03:11 (Ref:2336152)   #2
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alan Jones was answering an article that appeared in the Gold Coast over the weekend that was a sloppy piece of journalism - merely copying old reports from the beginning of September but with no first hand or updated information.

There were worries about RAB Capital in September but they steadied their ship back then. Receiving a sum from Tony Teixeira was perhaps one thing that helped them steady their ship.

Besides I don't think he would be able to state in public that TT has purchased it back if he hadn't.

Plus he is right that the Queensland government would have sought financial guarantees. As would the Indonesian government, who are putting money into the Lippo Village track. It's not for nothing that A1GP are showing a habit of signing long term deals.
Old 17 Nov 2008, 04:07 (Ref:2336169)   #3
jackschmidt
Racer

jackschmidt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi3
Alan Jones was answering an article that appeared in the Gold Coast over the weekend that was a sloppy piece of journalism - merely copying old reports from the beginning of September but with no first hand or updated information.

There were worries about RAB Capital in September but they steadied their ship back then. Receiving a sum from Tony Teixeira was perhaps one thing that helped them steady their ship.

Besides I don't think he would be able to state in public that TT has purchased it back if he hadn't.

Plus he is right that the Queensland government would have sought financial guarantees. As would the Indonesian government, who are putting money into the Lippo Village track. It's not for nothing that A1GP are showing a habit of signing long term deals.
What I do fear with this is that A1GP still seems to be paying to race instead of getting some kind of revenue. You can't bleed forever.
Old 17 Nov 2008, 04:22 (Ref:2336172)   #4
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If 80% is owned by TT and the other 20% by Sheikh Maktoum Hasher Maktoum Al-Maktoum (cut and paste works great!!), you'd say that he's still tipping something into the pot. And at the same time you'd think that TT bought the share back because he could if he didn't it would go down the drain. Just because a Dorna can run MotoGP, doesn't mean every other Capital fund can. RAB probably grabbed A1 because they saw a nice figure on the return sheet, plus not to mention the long term investment. But looks like it went the other way.

Like Jones said, some people are a bit sour at loosing the Champcar/IRL series and the INDY race tag, but the writing was on the wall before they even started talking. Plus seriously, other than the 3 locals and the "Drama Queen" Danica, most of the people at the event wouldn't even know anyone else in the IRL field. Mind you same could be said for most of the A1 as well.
Old 17 Nov 2008, 04:43 (Ref:2336177)   #5
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denosaur
Plus seriously, other than the 3 locals and the "Drama Queen" Danica, most of the people at the event wouldn't even know anyone else in the IRL field. Mind you same could be said for most of the A1 as well.
I guarantee they could name more Indy drivers than A1GP drivers.
Old 17 Nov 2008, 07:35 (Ref:2336208)   #6
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackschmidt
What I do fear with this is that A1GP still seems to be paying to race instead of getting some kind of revenue. You can't bleed forever.
Actually I think that is now a thing of the past. 99% sure China are paying A1GP, I have been told Indonesia as well, I would presume the same for Mexico and South Africa now. With the crowds that turn up at Zandvoort and Brands there is no reason why A1GP would be paying rather than vice versa. Taupo is also paying, the only one I am really not sure about would be Sepang.

All of the teams also now seem to be standing on their own two feet (GBR maybe an exception?). Almost all teams now have some degree of sponsorship on the car.
Old 17 Nov 2008, 21:25 (Ref:2336626)   #7
RichardRenes
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam
RichardRenes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am pretty sure Sepang is paying too, otherwise A1 wouldn't have renewed the contract .
Old 22 Nov 2008, 06:05 (Ref:2339331)   #8
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
More here: http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...-23770,00.html (second last paragraph)

"...we’re not in dire straits by any stretch of the imagination.".
Old 23 Nov 2008, 20:16 (Ref:2340364)   #9
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
AJ Australia's first and only F1 Champ? Isn't it a pity when an article destroys it's credibility in the first paragraph.?
Most of the rest was interesting.