Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 4 Dec 2008, 12:16 (Ref:2347182)   #51
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
I reckon John's suggstion of piloting the 90's tourer race as a support at a BTCC meeting would have been a better way to go

I wonder if there was some 'political' reason why that wasn't seen as a good idea?- after all, we wouldn't want the undercard showing up the main event, would we?
Old 4 Dec 2008, 12:22 (Ref:2347188)   #52
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not if the "Proper" drivers were driving them,I'm sure they would be more than happy to oblige.{Mansell's not invited!}
Old 4 Dec 2008, 13:25 (Ref:2347238)   #53
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The best era for any category of motor racing depends largely on your age - if, like me, you were young(ish) in the 60s and 70s then that was what you grew up with and seemed the best era. I'm sure my son would think the 90s were the best era.
The point is that the classic event is supposed to represent a certain era (60s/70s) and is popular for that. If there is support for 80s/90s racing then go produce an event for that era and see how popular that may be but don't taint older with newer!
It's just a way of making money for the promoter and sod the event itself.
Old 4 Dec 2008, 13:47 (Ref:2347269)   #54
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
The 25 year rule should kick in so cars up to 83 are acceptable.
Problem is that includes Group C where most of the teams turn up like Junior F1 operations and take over paddocks.Can't have everything.
With the pound being 1.14 against the Euro this morning less people will cross the Ditch and more will support UK events(or put the toys away).With these circumstances Silverstone could be the No 1 Open Historic Meeting if they play their cards properly.
Old 4 Dec 2008, 14:10 (Ref:2347287)   #55
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents
The best era for any category of motor racing depends largely on your age - if, like me, you were young(ish) in the 60s and 70s then that was what you grew up with and seemed the best era. I'm sure my son would think the 90s were the best era.
The point is that the classic event is supposed to represent a certain era (60s/70s) and is popular for that. If there is support for 80s/90s racing then go produce an event for that era and see how popular that may be but don't taint older with newer!
It's just a way of making money for the promoter and sod the event itself.
I think you're right on the mark there- I'm 41 and first started to seriously watch racing as a teenager in the early/mid 80's, so although I enjoy seeing the 50's/60's cars immensely, I've only ever known them as historics- Much as I enjoy them, I can't possibly have quite the same nostalgia factor with them as I do with, say the 80's Group C sportscars.

I wonder about tainting older with newer though. It's not a question I know the answer to, but if we're going to maintain the popularity of historic racing with spectators, but does aligning meetings into particular time bands with cars only from a specific period serve that? Personally, my ideal historic meeting would have a cross-section of representative grids for everything from pre-war to 80's Group C.

If I get to Silverstone next year, I'll certainly enjoy the 90's tourers, (I watched them a lot 'in period', so that nostalgia factor is there for me), but, as I've said before on this in other threads, it just seems to me their time hasn't come quite yet- I'd much rather see a fairly representative grid of 80's Group 1/Group A cars....
Old 4 Dec 2008, 14:24 (Ref:2347295)   #56
KA
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston
Problem is that includes Group C where most of the teams turn up like Junior F1 operations and take over paddocks.Can't have everything.
With the pound being 1.14 against the Euro this morning less people will cross the Ditch and more will support UK events(or put the toys away).With these circumstances Silverstone could be the No 1 Open Historic Meeting if they play their cards properly.
Actually 1983 would cut out a lot of the Group C cars, leaving only the earliest 1982/3 cars- Porsche didn't start supplying customer 956s until '83...

I think there's a lot to be said for a rolling cut-off point like that, Personally speaking I'd be tempted to put it at 20 years though, rather than 25, but I'm not running the show...
Old 4 Dec 2008, 15:18 (Ref:2347326)   #57
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston
Ive been to all the Silverstone Classic's and the Group C cars have allways been situated down at Becketts
Old 4 Dec 2008, 15:37 (Ref:2347337)   #58
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agree that Silverstone could/should be the No1 Historic event and that BRDC SHOULD be able to run the show,problem with having too many Blazers with chequebooks in a club,no one actually wants the hassle of organising it.One of the best assett's the circuit had has gone to pastures new.It would be far cheaper not to keep bringing in outsider managers,as has been proven in the past!
Old 4 Dec 2008, 15:41 (Ref:2347338)   #59
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Group C cars were also in Pit garages this year as someone with what must have been a sence of humour tried to sell me one
Old 4 Dec 2008, 15:45 (Ref:2347341)   #60
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
Agree that Silverstone could/should be the No1 Historic event and that BRDC SHOULD be able to run the show,problem with having too many Blazers with chequebooks in a club,no one actually wants the hassle of organising it.One of the best assett's the circuit had has gone to pastures new.It would be far cheaper not to keep bringing in outsider managers,as has been proven in the past!
Terry I am not sure that you are right - every memeber I knwo reckon's losing the GP is a blessing in disguise as it didn't make money and means that they have to concentrate on putting more energy into the other meetings
Old 4 Dec 2008, 16:04 (Ref:2347348)   #61
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

The GP at 11 Million ,and now probably more as its Euro cost based ,cost a fortune to hold and did nothing for BRDC.In the old days it was a cash cow now its just a c...The ticket figure sales were always dubious as with most of the major British meetings.If one person pays for three days he becomes three people.100000 spectators in reality is probably 45000 actual people.
These spectator figurers for minority sports are used but 80000 at Badminton,85000 for NFL.They mean nothing be it motor racing or any other sports.Its behind Football,rugby,cricket,horse racing and fishing.Rebecca Adlington or Chris Hoy should win SPOTY but it will probably be LH.All in minority sports

Todays ramble
Old 4 Dec 2008, 16:16 (Ref:2347358)   #62
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble
Terry I am not sure that you are right - every memeber I knwo reckon's losing the GP is a blessing in disguise as it didn't make money and means that they have to concentrate on putting more energy into the other meetings

Where does the GP come into it? I thought everyone was glad of Bernies decission to do away with it.But being able to put more effort into the Classic will mean sorting out those who can actually put it together in the first place,the enthusiast's like James are few and far between!
[Simon,by best asset,I was of course reffering to James Beckett,not Bernies make belive racing circus]

Last edited by terence; 4 Dec 2008 at 16:24.
Old 4 Dec 2008, 16:23 (Ref:2347361)   #63
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Terry - John and I clearly misunderstood what you meant when you said: "One of the best assett's the circuit had has gone to pastures new" in the context of "the blazers" referring to Bernies description of Sears et co when they called him a "jumped up second hand car saleman" - quite a comment for a chap who went to a regional public school!!!
Old 4 Dec 2008, 16:28 (Ref:2347364)   #64
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble
Terry - John and I clearly misunderstood what you meant when you said: "One of the best assett's the circuit had has gone to pastures new" in the context of "the blazers" referring to Bernies description of Sears et co when they called him a "jumped up second hand car saleman" - quite a comment for a chap who went to a regional public school!!!

My refference of Blazers was aimed at the non-race members Simon.
Old 4 Dec 2008, 16:29 (Ref:2347365)   #65
simon drabble
Veteran

James is a very good bloke but I have to tell you he took the BRDC Historic Sportscar Championship down a couple of cul de sac's that pretty much decimated the grids. He allows his enthusiasm cloud good judgement at times
Old 4 Dec 2008, 16:38 (Ref:2347369)   #66
simon drabble
Veteran

Quote:
My refference of Blazers was aimed at the non-race members Simon.
As neither of us are members we can only summize why decisions are made.

However I think it is fair to say that the BRDC is a hot bed of self interests which is a shame as I agree with you that as owners of Silverstone it should not be difficult for them to stage a great festival
Old 4 Dec 2008, 18:40 (Ref:2347429)   #67
Finn
Racer

Finn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs
I am now led to believe that the HSCC races for 60-70's roadsports cars have been dropped.

If this is correct and we have Porsche's and 2L Touring Cars it will not be much of an Historic festival.

I will be gutted if they do. The roadsports represented cars from a lot of the classic car clubs that had stands there.
Old 6 Dec 2008, 07:33 (Ref:2348640)   #68
Peter Horsman
Racer

Peter Horsman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I read all this chatter about the draft race schedule for 2009 with interest, but I understand that Mr Ectell (sp?) has had his contract to run the Classic rescinded.

Whither Silverstone Classic 2009?
Old 6 Dec 2008, 08:11 (Ref:2348663)   #69
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
The rumor has been going around for a while now Peter,along with others about who will host it,it could turn out to be very interesting.
Old 6 Dec 2008, 09:00 (Ref:2348699)   #70
fasted
Racer

England
fasted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Horsman
I read all this chatter about the draft race schedule for 2009 with interest, but I understand that Mr Ectell (sp?) has had his contract to run the Classic rescinded.

Whither Silverstone Classic 2009?
Having booked hotels for various guests and commenced negotiations with the hospitality firms at the circuit I would be grateful if anyone could throw some more light on this!!
Old 6 Dec 2008, 09:08 (Ref:2348705)   #71
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Early days yet and I dont think this is the place for these things to be discussed,just a little more patience and I'm sure all will be made public.
Old 6 Dec 2008, 12:27 (Ref:2348824)   #72
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Early days yet and I dont think this is the place for these things to be discussed,just a little more patience and I'm sure all will be made public.
I agree - there's so many rumours, claims and counter claims going around at the moment and it's difficult, nay impossible, to seperate truth from fiction and speculation. I'm sure the event, as such, will take place but in what form and run by which organisation(s) will, no doubt, emerge soon.
Old 6 Dec 2008, 12:53 (Ref:2348836)   #73
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

In other words none of you know anything and its pure speculation.
Motion Works went quite about five weeks ago after looking for sponsors.
Does this mean anything,have not got a clue.
If it does change it will probably be a Masters extravaganza.
Makes the decision to go to Laguna easier where its the Porsche year
Old 6 Dec 2008, 13:15 (Ref:2348847)   #74
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Enjoy it John. Personally I'd be pleased just to be able to race at Silverstone if there's a space but then I'm just one of those enthusiast types.
Old 6 Dec 2008, 13:32 (Ref:2348855)   #75
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

I assume that means if you do not believe in the Masters Business plan of dominating the Historic Racing scene you are not an enthusiast-TOSH
Silverstone Festival in my view should be an amalgamation of all the best organisers with their top race series,not dominated by one organisation.
Masters are becomming a class operation but dictatorships or monopoly's seldom work.We will wait and see what happens,HSCC and FJ should be there etc etc

Tags
historic racing, pre '63 gts