Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 11 Dec 2008, 11:31 (Ref:2352536)   #26
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRSTR5
I would like to race at Anglesey too, supposed to be a great circuit, and I would make the effort to get there.
Understand the drivers love it but the clubs lose money going there. Go figure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRSTR5
Finally, a small plea to HSCC, please, please can we get to Thruxton ... my car was hors de service when we went in 2005, and I want to race there - as a child/teenager I spent many meetings freezing my bits off, either spectating or in the race office while Dad was scrutineering there, so I reckon I deserve a chance to race there!
James
Lol, the Easter weekend meeting was where I'd get my first suntan, or was it windburn, of the year!
Old 11 Dec 2008, 11:36 (Ref:2352544)   #27
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Thruxton seems to invite clubs other than BARC alternate years so HSCC should of been this year. I think Graham is playing safe for next year. I had my first Modsports race there in 1977 we only had one set of wheels and it rained for qualifing so we fitted the wets to the wheels. Then of corse it dried out but we were to knackard to change them all back. "we did it with tyre levers in those days". But as luck would have it started raining and i had a great race and only got lapped once. Happy days.
Old 11 Dec 2008, 11:39 (Ref:2352550)   #28
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Went to Anglesey last year . Must for you all. Dear Compte might tell you about the time i was nearly linched up when we raced on the old circuit. Race was a bit of a demolishion derby.But i won. !!!!!!
Old 11 Dec 2008, 11:40 (Ref:2352551)   #29
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I think Croft is overated myself, all a bit mickey mouse in places and the facilities, well simply there ain't any not even a permanant toilet block or cafe, I think the places sucks and I doubt I will bother again.
Old 11 Dec 2008, 11:54 (Ref:2352565)   #30
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the HSCC calendar for 2009 is as good as it gets with mostly good quality meetings. I think that the early October 2 day meeting is on the calendar though missed off Dikkos thread opener.

Don't have much sympathy with the southerners who don't come north to race as Cadwell and Oulton must be the most challenging circuits in the country and matched only by Brands GP circuit in the south. Can't say I agree with the Croft comments as the new layout is very mickey mouse at the back of the pits complex and has totally destroyed what was a good circuit in the 60s/70s.

My lads and I did 5 races this year before the engine let go - Donington, Cadwell, Silverstone, Snetterton and Brands. From York, Donington is the closest at 1 hour 45 mins towing. Cadwell, considered a 'northern' circuit takes 2 hours towing. Snetterton and Brands are about the same at just over 4 hours.

Can't see that Thruxton should have any claim to be added to the programme, particularly with Castle Combe and Pembrey there.
Old 11 Dec 2008, 12:21 (Ref:2352586)   #31
fasted
Racer

England
fasted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To those who find Croft a Mickey Mouse circuit. I can`t help but wonder as to their views on the inclusion of Mallory Park. Or is it the case that location has a direct influence on their perceived level of "Disneyfication".
Old 11 Dec 2008, 12:24 (Ref:2352587)   #32
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I would not race at Mallory regardless of how far or close it is - I think it is fundamentally dangerous
Old 11 Dec 2008, 12:28 (Ref:2352592)   #33
James Murray
Racer

James Murray should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I used to think that Simon, but in reality is it anymore dangerous than Cadwell or Oulton. I think I will go next year, I have never raced there before only tested. I also think its a good addition to HSCC programme.
Old 11 Dec 2008, 12:42 (Ref:2352607)   #34
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You surprise me with that Simon,although I understand the point.I'm not a lover of circuits that you do half a lap and look across the infield only to see the startline,but they do fantastic breakfast's.
Old 11 Dec 2008, 12:55 (Ref:2352613)   #35
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasted
To those who find Croft a Mickey Mouse circuit. I can`t help but wonder as to their views on the inclusion of Mallory Park. Or is it the case that location has a direct influence on their perceived level of "Disneyfication".
Not sure what your last comment means, Fasted. To me Mallory is an average circuit but more challenging than, say, Croft. I have no great feelings about whether Mallory should be added to the calendar or not. From a location point of view Croft is one and a quarter hours away towing and Mallory is more than double that but I would rather race at Mallory (not including the 'Edwina' bit) than the present Croft.
By the way, I only said that part of Croft was mickey mouse.
Old 11 Dec 2008, 13:00 (Ref:2352616)   #36
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Meeting Edwina was always the highlight of a Mallory BRSCC meeting.
Old 11 Dec 2008, 13:34 (Ref:2352655)   #37
Simon Hadfield
Veteran

Simon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSimon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Simon, if you feel Mallory is dangerous I cant see how you would race at Goodwood. Apart from being the most helpful people in the business the fact that the circuit (for cars) has never changed makes Mallory one of the BEST circuits there is. Now if you were to consider the circuit as it was with two feet of runoff and warm cuddly sleepers to hit I might agree with you.....
Old 11 Dec 2008, 13:39 (Ref:2352659)   #38
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Most of the top historic teams use Mallory as a test circuit along with Snett.
Both should be used more often by Race Organisers.
Old 11 Dec 2008, 13:40 (Ref:2352662)   #39
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quite agree Simon,especialy now the bikers have decreed that certain sections have to be moved back a bit,but what about the lake?all that nasty water.
I have to say that despite my comment earlier,it is probably the friendliest circuit in the country.
Old 11 Dec 2008, 13:41 (Ref:2352664)   #40
fasted
Racer

England
fasted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents
Not sure what your last comment means, Fasted. To me Mallory is an average circuit but more challenging than, say, Croft. I have no great feelings about whether Mallory should be added to the calendar or not. From a location point of view Croft is one and a quarter hours away towing and Mallory is more than double that but I would rather race at Mallory (not including the 'Edwina' bit) than the present Croft.
By the way, I only said that part of Croft was mickey mouse.
Morninggents. I`m going to back out of this one, your views are every bit as valid as mine. But I think we should agree calling anything to do with motorsport "Mickey Mouse" is not in the sports best interests.
Old 11 Dec 2008, 13:45 (Ref:2352667)   #41
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
friendly - yes and good for testing but it seems that meetings there always result with a lot of bent metal and sadly a few nasty accidents.
Simon you are absolutely correct about Goodwood but as everyone is on best behaviour (well most are!) it somehow works.
Old 11 Dec 2008, 13:47 (Ref:2352671)   #42
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasted
Morninggents. I`m going to back out of this one, your views are every bit as valid as mine. But I think we should agree calling anything to do with motorsport "Mickey Mouse" is not in the sports best interests.
Very happy to agree and I didn't mean to offend. A bad choice of words but I still don't like the twiddly bits of the current Croft layout.
Old 11 Dec 2008, 13:48 (Ref:2352675)   #43
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
But the accidents are driver related,not down to the circuit,[apart from the irregularitys in the surface on entry into Gerrards]
Old 11 Dec 2008, 14:24 (Ref:2352723)   #44
simon drabble
Veteran

I stand corrected - drivers are dangerous at Mallory!
Old 11 Dec 2008, 14:31 (Ref:2352731)   #45
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble
I stand corrected - drivers are dangerous at Mallory!
Strange thing about the circuit,it does seem to bring out the worst in some.Perhaps it is because they can see the start line from the other side and they want to get to it quicker?
Old 11 Dec 2008, 14:35 (Ref:2352736)   #46
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Im going next Friday for a finnal blast in something that needs a test then its Christmas Dinner in the cafe. Fantastic.
Old 11 Dec 2008, 14:41 (Ref:2352741)   #47
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta
Im going next Friday for a finnal blast in something that needs a test then its Christmas Dinner in the cafe. Fantastic.

Which Friday?
Old 11 Dec 2008, 17:49 (Ref:2352875)   #48
Derwent Motorsp
Veteran

Scotland
Cumbria
Derwent Motorsp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The problem is that most series do not have a very good geographical spread. The north of England and Scotland get a poor deal and for those of us in those areas it means some long trips. There are a good number of racers north of Manchester!
Old 11 Dec 2008, 19:47 (Ref:2352977)   #49
paddy
Veteran

England
Nottingham
paddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpaddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As a spectator I'm delighted that the HSCC is back at Mallory. I will probably take in that round and Cadwell as both are easy for me to get to and provide great viewing.
As I've said on other forums I do feel some drivers get blase driving at some circuits and forget to treat some others with the respect they deserve. I went to Oulton for the first time this year and I'm sure there are places there you wouldn't want to go off.
Old 11 Dec 2008, 20:15 (Ref:2352991)   #50
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Thats true, one of our guys wrecked a lovely M3 there this season, coming out the 2nd chicane, gets out of shape and bang into the barriers.

Tags
historic racing