Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 18 Nov 2009, 18:59 (Ref:2584406)   #1
Quintin03
Veteran

Netherlands
Quintin03 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stadium Speedway

After about a week working on my first track in sketchup I present my latest work, the Stadium Speedway.
It's a small complex of a 5/8ths mile oval a roadcourse for clubracing and larger karts with a total of 7 options, a dirt course for autocross and motocross, the latter on the longer version and finaly also options for rallycross and supermoto with two decent options.
A special feature is that it's completely indoors. The roof will be made like most larger soccer stadia. This shouldn't be a problem as the track isn't wider than a soccer field is long.
Help with sketchup is welcome. Helping me draw good circuits isn't all that welcome here though as this is more a test.
In the future you can expect me using this model as a secondary circuit on GP sized tracks but even I am not too sure.
Attached Thumbnails
Stadium speedway top.png   Stadium speedway from turn 1-2.png   Stadium speedway from turn 3-4.png  

Stadium speedway dirt.jpg  
Old 19 Nov 2009, 00:17 (Ref:2584677)   #2
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
While I applaud your sketch-up efforts, and the concept of the enclosed oval.

I'm afraid the multi layout simply wouldn't fit. you only have to look at Martinsville or Bristol (each half mile ovals) to see that there simply isn't any space for anything inside an oval so small. The hairpin would be a hand-brake turn
Attached Thumbnails
Martinsville.jpg   Bristol.jpg  
Old 19 Nov 2009, 01:29 (Ref:2584715)   #3
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
The hairpin would be a hand-brake turn
... or, worse, a knee-break turn

bio
Old 19 Nov 2009, 06:46 (Ref:2584803)   #4
Quintin03
Veteran

Netherlands
Quintin03 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know SBF that such a small oval with infield options would mean slow and tight turns but I've tried to do anything to prevent this. The hairpin has a radius of 10 metres so that may cause truble but I don't see why it would be a problem. If clubracing can't use it they can always use the later entry. Would make for a shorter club circuit than kart track but that's no problem.

One problem of your comparison with M'ville and Bristol. They're smaller. Another problem: I know an oval track with infield portions to be used for karting and motocross so there shouldn't be a problem there either.

Still I thank you for the compliment on my sketchup skills.
Old 21 Nov 2009, 17:44 (Ref:2586532)   #5
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
LuiggiSpeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
tho' I'm not a fan of ovals, I understand their nature, I was on Indy motoGP this year, Liked the layout but most people tend to design keeping the oval shape and making a small infield at each end(like Indy) I'd like to roll a different approach , avoiding the big turns(no run-off for motorcycles) and having a rather horseshoe approach,something like this:

I purposely broke up the left carrousel into a slower set of chicanes,so we bikers are not facing a wall @ triple digit speeds and dragging elbow,used up a nice portion of the upper straight, then balanced with some lefts,so that it's not a perpetual circle(boring) and tried to exit back to the oval with a shallow angled turn,avoiding too much side force against the oval wall.

Maybe the plan can be reversed if it's nesesary.