Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 20 Sep 2012, 08:51 (Ref:3138946)   #1
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Castle Combe Classic event featuring Bernie's V8's

6/7th October, its looking good with some exciting new cars entering incluging some exotic Italian stuff in the shape of a Maserati Bora, Jan Shippers in his Camaro and his friend in his Tom Walkinshaw Rover SDI (original) race car. Both coming over from Belgium and all the usual faces and more. I will be there with Cliff Ryan co-piloting in the IROC-Z I will try to sort a few things out on her before the meeting. See you guys there its going to be a good un!
Old 20 Sep 2012, 13:24 (Ref:3139089)   #2
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Im there with the S-type in pre-66 Jags, been a while since I've done Combe so looking forward to it esp as I'm missing the saloon race at Brands this weekend.
Old 20 Sep 2012, 13:40 (Ref:3139097)   #3
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Be good to see you again Colin.
Old 20 Sep 2012, 19:50 (Ref:3139247)   #4
modes
Racer

England
Harrogate
modes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looking forward to it! Last races of the season. Only beaten Moosehead's Mustang once this year. Another chance yet! Wonder if Al will get his handling sorted beforehand...... that IROC goes well in a straight line!
Old 20 Sep 2012, 20:17 (Ref:3139262)   #5
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
I will put the dizzy on from the other car thats all set up to suit the cam in the IROC so hopefully will restore some grunt. Needs the close ratio box back but wont have time for that as still requires rebuilding.
Old 20 Sep 2012, 20:19 (Ref:3139263)   #6
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looking forward to this, down to marshal. Any idea on the expected grid size??
Old 20 Sep 2012, 20:37 (Ref:3139272)   #7
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Looks a cracking days action

Timetable for the 6th http://www.castlecombecircuit.co.uk/...%20sept%29.pdf
Old 21 Sep 2012, 07:31 (Ref:3139495)   #8
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Grid sizes as far as v8s go according to Bernie are looking good. Its in fact a two day meeting v8s on both days although Sunday is more a regular Combe event with a good race card.
Old 21 Sep 2012, 07:42 (Ref:3139500)   #9
deley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bramley, Guildford
deley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll be over to marshal at this.... really enjoyed your visit to Brands

Are you planning on doing an interesting start - the one at Brands was certainly different

Dave
Old 21 Sep 2012, 09:07 (Ref:3139532)   #10
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Yes I believe a Le Mans start is on the cards!
Old 24 Sep 2012, 16:46 (Ref:3140972)   #11
modes
Racer

England
Harrogate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
Yes I believe a Le Mans start is on the cards!
That'll be good. Had to miss the Le Mans start at Brands due to a broken valve spring. Car's ready.
Old 27 Sep 2012, 23:05 (Ref:3142758)   #12
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You sods! Sounds like it's gonna be a great event, and I'm gonna miss it as my car's sat in the workshop in a sorry state!

It's going to be some time before I'll be out again in the TR, but I hope you all have a great weekend.
Old 28 Sep 2012, 07:10 (Ref:3142883)   #13
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Did you crash her Paul?
Old 28 Sep 2012, 08:46 (Ref:3142955)   #14
modes
Racer

England
Harrogate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
You sods! Sounds like it's gonna be a great event, and I'm gonna miss it as my car's sat in the workshop in a sorry state!

It's going to be some time before I'll be out again in the TR, but I hope you all have a great weekend.
Sorry to hear that Paul. I was hoping you were going to be out again at Castle Combe. We had the two "Martins" out at Donington at the September meeting in their TR7 V8s and both went really well. Martyn Adams' similar car to yours and Martin Lofthouses's black beast...
Old 28 Sep 2012, 09:57 (Ref:3142993)   #15
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Did you crash her Paul?

Erm... erm... well... yes, just a bit!

It's all explained in painful detail on the CSCC forum, but for those with no access to that, I'll expand.

It was all my own stupid fault really, and wasn't even down to trying too hard (which is the usual reason for me going off!). Basically, I'd moved my lap timer before the meeting, to a location in the car that I thought was OK - but I failed to check it wearing a helmet, and hadn't realised that, with helmet on, it required quite a significant head movement to see it clearly.

During qualy, I'd wanted to check a lap before losing the time, so coming out of Devil's Elbow onto the finish straight, I took my eyes off the ball for just a fraction too long as it turns out (due to the aforementioned position of the timer), and when I re-focussed on the track, I'd drifted to the right and had two wheels on the grass - at probably around a ton. As I tried to ease back on to the circuit, it started to go sideways on me which caused me to spear across the track, in a spin, and I smacked hard into the armco on the other side, driver's side first, probably still travelling at maybe 70!

It was the biggest hit I've ever had - put me in hospital for the day - and I'm still not fully fit now, almost five weeks later. I'm thankful that I was in a racecar however, and wearing a decent helmet, as I reckon the same shunt in a road car would have seen me in hospital for a lot longer than a day!

If you have a look on David Stallard's website (CSCC Mallory 26th Aug.), he did extremely well to capture the whole thing in a sequence of stills. Scroll through the pages from the start - it's only a few pages in.

Oh, and just in case you were wondering - my previous lap (the one I'd been trying to check) was my quickest one!
Old 28 Sep 2012, 11:12 (Ref:3143040)   #16
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Oh no that sounds bad, just maybe there should be a lesson here to everyone, in the same way as SatNavs can be lethal just prehaps these distracting incar devices should be banned.
Old 2 Oct 2012, 10:20 (Ref:3145111)   #17
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
So apart from the V8 guys who else is out in their historic vehicles at this event as I haven't seen any chat about it on here or anywhere else come to that?
Old 2 Oct 2012, 11:12 (Ref:3145137)   #18
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Not many by the response!
Old 2 Oct 2012, 11:50 (Ref:3145155)   #19
Brian A
Racer

England
Sunny West Sussex
Brian A should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Not many by the response!

Give us a chance Al - less than an hour to respond

There is a pretty healthy looking grid for the pre 66 Jaguars with 13 XKs mixing it with some saloons and E-types. It's nice to see some of the guys who were in the original race back in 1999 that kick started the XK Championship are due to be out. Well done to Terry Dye for dragging them out of the woodwork.

There are 26 cars out in the pre-war race - the normal eclectic mix from 750 cc to 4.5 litres. Should be interesting.

I'll be out in the Fiscar race for 1950s sports cars in the Elite, the smallest car in the field mixing it with the Astons, Healeys Jags etc. Together with the other Elite entered, we would still hope to lock out the front row!!!

Don't know about anything happening on Sunday as I'll be at Mallory for the HRDC meeting.

Weather forecast is looking surprisingly favourable at the moment. Better pack the sun cream.....and the wellies, just in case.
Old 2 Oct 2012, 12:40 (Ref:3145177)   #20
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Ops sorry Brian always was an impatient sod and age has mellowed me! That looks pretty good, its just I saw on Combe's site not so many entered so obviously they were a bit previous, the ususal problem I guess announcing enty lists openly which is why BARC no longer do it. We apparently should have around 23 cars but Bernie is hoping for several more as last minute repairs are being undertaken on several cars. Still 23 is not bad these days.
Old 2 Oct 2012, 12:47 (Ref:3145182)   #21
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
On the Combe forum there's some dis-satisfaction with the size of the grids, pretty thin entertainment. Interesting that the cheap race on Sunday hasn't attracted many entries either, clearly the lure of £100 entry isn't enough to attract drivers. Looks like it's put on by the Playstation GT Academy as a chance for their drivers to get their signatures.
Old 2 Oct 2012, 13:29 (Ref:3145215)   #22
Brian A
Racer

England
Sunny West Sussex
Brian A should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that part of the problem has been the entry fees for this meeting.

Our Fiscar race is 40 minutes, but with an entry fee of £425 and coming at the end of the season when budgets could be running low, it was always likely to result in thinner grids. The Big Healey race is £499 for 45 minutes and even the half hour Jaguar race is £375. Hardly what you'd call great value for money.

The circuit is trying to dress it up as the "Autumn Classic" and gain some reflected glory from other high profile events that charge big money to enter. But I feel a number of drivers have voted with their feet.

Old 2 Oct 2012, 15:09 (Ref:3145242)   #23
Teddington Ted
Racer

Teddington Ted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
pre 66 GTs

To add to Brian's comments I think that they have missed a trick with the programme by not having a pre 66 GT race - would probably have resulted in a fullish grid and given me a race to enter the Morgan at one of my favourite circuits !

I don't like spectating much but am making an exception for this meeting so look forward to bumping into a few 10/10thers.

Mark
Old 2 Oct 2012, 20:47 (Ref:3145388)   #24
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Jag grid is smaller than hoped for (22) and I agonized over whether to bring the S or the E, but with only 3 other saloons I thought the S would be of more interest. We have a Mk1, a Mk2 and 2 esses, so a nice evolutionary line up and I'll be mixing it with both the guy I bought my first car from and the guy I sold it to!
Old 2 Oct 2012, 21:52 (Ref:3145416)   #25
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm on the scrounge for 1x Private Vehicle pass & 2x Paddock (person) passes if anyone has them they're not going to use.
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang