Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 21 May 2006, 20:36 (Ref:1615794)   #26
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly
I have to say, the (1st) historic race was a total farce, and from a spectator point of view a woeful advert for the sport, even the commentators where extracting the urine, who ever came up with the handicap system needs their head examining. The wet weather just made it worse.
Couldn't have put it better myself.
The handicap could have worked in dry conditions but it was completely wrong for the intended audience. I don't have a problem with handicap races in the right context - Bentley DC or VSCC meetings for example - but suspect the sort of casual spectator that big meetings like the WTCC attract would have been completely lost on the idea.

That said the racing wasn't bad. The sight of Nick Swift's little Cooper S overtaking Adam Richardson round the outside of Paddock was well worth standing in the rain for.
Old 22 May 2006, 06:23 (Ref:1615996)   #27
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I agree red shoes, your average punter to my mind looked lost yesterday anyway !

Nick drove superbly, as did many others, Roger Wills was flying in the LC as well before dissapearing . . .not sure what happened. At one point all 3 minis where drifting down PHB sideways, a great sight on any day
Old 22 May 2006, 07:32 (Ref:1616028)   #28
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Roger was flying and having started at the back of the field due to the handicapping managed to get up to third position until out at the back our brand new propshaft snapped breaking the end of the gearbox off and launching him skyward. Fortunately damage wasnt too bad but kills any ideas we were entertaining re Dijon so next tim eout will be the Silverstone Classic. He had fastest in class, race two was off the cards so would be interested in how that went. Well done to Tara Agace she was in her first race and that weather was a baptism of fire!
Old 22 May 2006, 08:05 (Ref:1616046)   #29
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Well DOnbe Roger, he was working his way through the field in a very controlled manner in very difficult conditions, not that many people would have noticed due to the state of the grid!

Did the car get damaged underneath at all Simon ? hopefully its just bolt on bits that got damaged ?
Old 25 May 2006, 15:51 (Ref:1618745)   #30
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
both Brands and Silverstone had good write ups in Autosport!
Old 27 May 2006, 08:48 (Ref:1620018)   #31
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
I don't know much about the motorsport press, but if theyre anything like the Music press they'll write a full race report from the comfort of the nearest bar, which may not necessarily even be at the venue !

I also know of a Football match reporter who writes in the Clubs official programme . . .most of his reports are based on emails and text messages, he rarely goes to games !
Old 27 May 2006, 11:18 (Ref:1620102)   #32
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly
I don't know much about the motorsport press, but if theyre anything like the Music press they'll write a full race report from the comfort of the nearest bar, which may not necessarily even be at the venue !
I can assure you, Zef, that the national reporters for Autosport are at the meetings; usually do a lot of legwork; talk to the drivers when they are able to; get wet like the rest of us and do try sometimes to write the reports from the circuit if they don't get chucked out too early!
Old 28 May 2006, 19:17 (Ref:1621292)   #33
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
I'm not doubting that John . . . I just couldn't resist getting a dig in at the other half of the profession ! theyre like Estate Agents, half brilliant, half a waste of valuable oxygen !