Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 24 May 2006, 08:51 (Ref:1617707)   #26
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Well done LAK, and JK, although not quite the end resuly he wanted !

bad news for us this weekend . . .looks like no races till Spa now, but we have plenty to be getting on with instead
Old 24 May 2006, 08:51 (Ref:1617708)   #27
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble
I was taking pics on the outside of Becketts during the BRDC 1950's Sports Car event, won by Barrie Williams driving a 1951 XK120 Jag.
Didn't he do well. I don't know if it was done to entertain himself, us, or just get the old girl moving, but super to watch whichever!
And to think we NEARLY bailed out when the Derek Bell trophy was cancelled...

I have shots from Becketts INSIDE, link further up to the gallery.

Tim
Old 24 May 2006, 10:04 (Ref:1617754)   #28
LAK
Racer

LAK should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLAK should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks Zef. I heard the news this weekend re the cancellation of your next event. How about doing the Silverstone Classic at the end of July instead on the GP track? Just a thought - I can't bear of you having all this spare time on your hands.
Old 24 May 2006, 10:42 (Ref:1617778)   #29
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
whats spare time ?

possible LAK but A I won't race in the hot rod series, a bit pointless, and I don't want to go home with sideswiped go faster stripes, and I'm not joing all the clubs for one 20 minute race !
Old 24 May 2006, 11:22 (Ref:1617803)   #30
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Super result Louise. Sorry I didn't get down to congratulate you personally but I was watching you on the monitors (for the best possible reasons! )and was impressed. Sorry about Jason's problem. Hope to see you at the 'Classic', if not before.
Old 24 May 2006, 13:16 (Ref:1617881)   #31
LAK
Racer

LAK should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLAK should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hi Zef - we are running in the K class (FIA legal cars) at the Classic so I guess as last year it will be a race within a race. Also, its not a sprint - last year I think it was a 40 min 2 driver race. The chance to race on the GP circuit is always a must surely?

Thanks for your kind words John - my little car and I were doing our very best and I have to say that the little fella always amazes me at how much he looks after me! I'm so sorry that we haven't had the chance to chat with you (in an informal manner of course!) this year but I always wave at your car when you're going round in between races!
Old 24 May 2006, 15:25 (Ref:1617962)   #32
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble
A great meeting and covered by two local BBC radio stations!!
I was taking pics on the outside of Becketts during the BRDC 1950's Sports Car event, won by Barrie Williams driving a 1951 XK120 Jag. He beat a Cooper Monaco, which should have won hands down, while the Listers etc, struggled and Mark Gillies took third in a 3000s Maserati. Barrie was power sliding the Jag around Becketts in atrocious conditions, always under control. It was a fabulous sight and I have the pics to prove it, if only i knew how to attache them!
no wishing to steal Barrie's thunder as he is a very talented driver and rain is a great equalizer and often when the old masters show their talent, however the XK120's which run in the BRDC are at best hotrods - they run disc brakes and 3.8 engines so it is not always a fair comparison to look at them against the "genuine" FIA cars running in that series
Old 24 May 2006, 15:28 (Ref:1617966)   #33
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAK
Hi Zef - we are running in the K class (FIA legal cars) at the Classic so I guess as last year it will be a race within a race. Also, its not a sprint - last year I think it was a 40 min 2 driver race. The chance to race on the GP circuit is always a must surely?
sadly I will be on holiday but Roger the Lotus Cortina's "other half" as it where will be running it in the Appdx K class. If the Mustangs come out to play I guess he will have to hope for rain!
Old 25 May 2006, 07:27 (Ref:1618416)   #34
LAK
Racer

That's very poor timing of you Simon!
Old 25 May 2006, 07:56 (Ref:1618435)   #35
simon drabble
Veteran

I think it was a case of my wife getting even - we are flying out on the Friday! Suggestions that I would come out Sunday were not met with approval so seems that apart from some testing I am now done til Spa ;-(
Old 25 May 2006, 08:16 (Ref:1618441)   #36
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Still saturday; Study in red 2 (and not any Italian car amongst them!). Jason Kennedy's TVR Griffith 200 appears to be getting some help from Tony Howard's Morgan Plus 8. Mike Eagle's Milano GT is not in quite such close attendance!:-

Sunday, now and Dick Dickson prepares to leave the pitlane garage for qualifying in his Lotus 61:-

The Lotus Cortina's of Louise Bracey (no.34) and Jonathan Gomm. Yes, No. 57 is jacked up one side!

Chris Atkinson (Merlyn Mk20) gets crossed up in Luffield. He got on the grass but avoided the gravel and regained the track. Greg Thornton (Titan Mk4) and Crispin Schlaefi (Macon MR8) are deciding where to go!

Last edited by John Turner; 25 May 2006 at 08:20.
Old 25 May 2006, 08:35 (Ref:1618453)   #37
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
I got the entry forms for the classic last night . . .tempting . . .but I know I'll be trailing the field, and looking at those 2 LC's and knowing how their prepared is a just reminder of how unoriginal most of these cars are, sorry, GP circuit or not, itjust doesn't appeal. I'm saving my beans and efforts for Spa, might do 2 races if I can afford it.
Old 25 May 2006, 08:49 (Ref:1618460)   #38
simon drabble
Veteran

hope you are not including my Lotus Cortina in that rant Zef!!
Old 25 May 2006, 09:28 (Ref:1618479)   #39
LAK
Racer

I know what you mean Zef, we weren't exactly up the field last year but it was and will be great to be part of the event - the end result doesn't really matter and we are realistic that our 400 bhp Falcon will be passed by Anglia's and the like. A really good event and we shall enjoy watching all the other races and being "part" of the crowd.

Will you do Barry's race as well as Top Hat at Spa? We are hoping to get an entry in another Barry race at Spa in July - if all goes to plan we'll take the Griffith as we've always wanted to race that car there - awesomly fast car and not a little bit scary!

John - great photos as usual - a shame that neither the Griff or Morgan finished - talk about an 8 wheeled car! We still have the trye marks on the rear side of the Griff where the Morgan lunged up the side and bounced off the Griff....who ever said TVRs are fragile!
Old 25 May 2006, 09:47 (Ref:1618497)   #40
simon drabble
Veteran

Is that the July 15 meeting? what races are there?
Old 25 May 2006, 10:25 (Ref:1618525)   #41
LAK
Racer

That's the one - the Spa Historic Grand Prix. Looking at the Historic Motor racing News websites the following look to be there:
- Lurani Trophy
- World Sports Cars Masters
- TGP
- Group C
- Gentleman drivers
- Orwell Supersports
- Sports Racing Masters
- and Barry's one hour race
- not sure what else

I should find out more details next week if you're interested.
Old 25 May 2006, 12:02 (Ref:1618597)   #42
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's an impressive lineup.
Old 25 May 2006, 14:06 (Ref:1618684)   #43
simon drabble
Veteran

yes I would be interested - might spurr me into getting the Merlyn back together!
Old 25 May 2006, 15:29 (Ref:1618731)   #44
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Simon, of course not, and re the Merlyn, you shouldn't have taken it to bits !

In all honesty I really not that bothered by Silverstone, regardless of the competition, or event.

Had a call from the K club at lunch . . . Assen in August sounds good, can't make Snett in July though. is it me or is it all getting a bit political these different historic race series . . .too many fingers in the pie me thinks.
Old 26 May 2006, 14:43 (Ref:1619535)   #45
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Alan Fairbrother and his Merlyn Mk20. It was his first time out this year and only his 2nd time out since he acquired it. He said he kept and maintained it in a shed in the garden!:-

Paul Anderson's 928, Julian Barter's TVR 3000M and Richard Thorne's Morgan keep close company:-

A Marshall's life can be lonely ....... and wet! Louise K's Fulvia Zagato, Jai Sharma's Fulvia and Mark Bennett's MGB GTV8 provides the entertainment:-

James Schriver could not repeat his Saturday win, and on Sunday struggled to keep 2nd ahead of the well driven E-type of Les Ely. The B8 was not as sure-footed as would be expected for this model and James was clearly struggling with a skittish car under both braking and acceleration (he'll correct me if I'm wrong!):-

Last edited by John Turner; 26 May 2006 at 14:49.
Old 26 May 2006, 14:55 (Ref:1619540)   #46
simon drabble
Veteran

all sports racers suffer in the wet with understeer even when you knock the anti rollbars off so at that point the front heavy E Type is for once at an advantage
Les has clearly become more adept at keeping it on the black stuff - last time I saw him in it he stuffed it into Woodcote on the way to the grid for the formation lap!!!!!!
Old 26 May 2006, 15:13 (Ref:1619552)   #47
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Simon, he does indeed stay on the tarmac most of the time these days, and usually near the front, too, particularly in his BMW.
Old 29 May 2006, 14:48 (Ref:1622094)   #48
simon drabble
Veteran

well his BMW was aways quick when Simon Garrard ran it but it is a car which can only race with HSCC as it is about as far removed from FIA as it is possible to be!
Old 29 May 2006, 18:40 (Ref:1622271)   #49
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
I guess quite a few are like that. I imagine you think I should be going to some of the alternative FIA meetings, and I'd like to, but they never seem to occur at the right time or the right venue for me! I'll keep trying!
Old 29 May 2006, 19:14 (Ref:1622294)   #50
simon drabble
Veteran

In my opinion its a great shame that HSCC dont run the saloons to FIA spec. They passed a motion a few years ago tyo do that but then the committe overturned it - I think that they are missing the point. I think FIA races level the playing field and to a degree ensure the results are not too distorted, however having said that nothing is perfect!
In respect to the "right" meetings to go to I reckon that in no order its the Classic, Goodwood and Spa 6 Hour meeting order and all for different reasons but that is another topic and a well worn subject!!
In respect to Les Ely - he is an all or nothing driver - either there at the squirty end or in the kitty litter from my experience! Definately not a percentage racer!!