Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 23 Jul 2006, 09:33 (Ref:1662619)   #1
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
"Karting Father" moves up the ranks!

Before anybody gets worked up again, I relate this tale as a humourous incident. It's just ironic that it comes so soon after a thread I innocently got involved in about drivers wanting us to put reds out.

At Brands yesterday i was on the pit lane entry post (24) and since it was only meself and one other, we were kept well occupied. As is the norm this month we had blazing sunshine in the morning, but by the second race of the afternoon, black clouds were forming and the occasional drop of rain was coming down.
Race 2 was for single seaters, with a reasonable number of them on slicks, naturally, it was'nt wet enough at the start for wet tyres, so by about lap 10, it was chucking it down...

At this point, my eyes are rivetted to the track and the cars being driven fast, but safely. Then I hear a voice behind me in the pit lane shout
"Red Flag,Red Flag"
I double check start line (thank god I did) - nope, nowt
"Get the red flag out now"
yells the voice, and this time I see a chap running down the pit line towards me. I shake my head towards him to indicate that no, I'm not going to do that thank you very much.
I shout
"Why?"
ye never know something nasty might have happened that only he's seen.
"My son's out there and it's dangerous"
sorry, but i think I may have shrugged at this point as I said
"Clerk of the Course's decision" (and to myself) "and your son's to carry on"
At which point I get the classic
"I'll sue you if anything happens to him"
as he about turned and went back to his perch on the pit lane.

Why oh why oh why do they let these people out? I can just imagine the rest of the field and the poor boy's reaction if the race was stopped and the time sheets had on them "stopped because so and so's daddy wanted it".
I know some may think he had a valid point and I know some think that venting/slating officials is all part of the game, but should it be? I tried to point him in the right direction, but I get the feeling he just wanted to yell at somebody and I was the nearest.

Other than that silly wee bit of silly aggro, a good day's racing, shame I can't be there again today
Old 23 Jul 2006, 12:13 (Ref:1662694)   #2
M Greenslade
Veteran

England
Chipping Norton, Oxon
M Greenslade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well done you for not reacting to some idiot Father, after all I can remember the days 'sex was safe and motor racing was dangerous' or was it the other way around!! - Balders
Old 23 Jul 2006, 13:08 (Ref:1662718)   #3
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
The STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is what comes of having younger and younger racind drivers
Old 23 Jul 2006, 13:59 (Ref:1662738)   #4
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
did he say exactly why it was dangerous...i assume the dad knew he was racing?!
Old 23 Jul 2006, 16:58 (Ref:1662816)   #5
archaic gold
Veteran

England
Medway
archaic gold should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Also, the fact that "Dad" probably paid for the car might influence his feelings!!!!
Old 23 Jul 2006, 19:29 (Ref:1662871)   #6
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
That's why the Clerks keep themselves in a nice control room away from the Madding crowd.
Old 23 Jul 2006, 19:51 (Ref:1662886)   #7
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
You may not be aware that someone whose sons race single seaters posts on ten-tenths as 'kartingdad'. Unless you can postively identify the person in question maybe you should make it clear that 'kartingdad' is not the subject of your attack.
Old 23 Jul 2006, 20:12 (Ref:1662902)   #8
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand
you should make it clear that 'kartingdad' is not the subject of your attack.
Seconded, as I initially thought that that was indeed the subject!
Old 23 Jul 2006, 20:20 (Ref:1662906)   #9
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The STIG
Seconded, as I initially thought that that was indeed the subject!

So did I!
Old 23 Jul 2006, 20:31 (Ref:1662914)   #10
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, I have been disappointed too. Please offer a suitable kartingdad story to compensate us.
Old 23 Jul 2006, 20:48 (Ref:1662932)   #11
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
You may not be aware that someone whose sons race single seaters posts on ten-tenths as 'kartingdad'. Unless you can postively identify the person in question maybe you should make it clear that 'kartingdad' is not the subject of your attack.
I hardly think it's an attack, as the original post says, it is supposed to be related as humourous incident.
BTW isn't kartingdad off here into karts not single seaters?

Last edited by Tim Falce; 23 Jul 2006 at 20:51.
Old 23 Jul 2006, 22:13 (Ref:1662990)   #12
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Not last I saw. Kartingdad had become karting FFord dad
Old 24 Jul 2006, 07:33 (Ref:1663141)   #13
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I've changed the thread title to Karting Father to avoid any unneccesary confusion
Old 24 Jul 2006, 08:24 (Ref:1663178)   #14
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
"karting dad" is a syndrome
kartingdad is a person on 10ths

How could you all possibly confuse the two? I'm ashamed that all of you would jump to the conclusion that I'm knowingly telling stories about another member of this board.

And Mr Brand, it was not an attack, merely an anecdote, a relating of circumstances, hopefully with a humourous tint and maybe it can even be seen as a homily ( websters.com entry no.1) for those that sit on the pit lane.

I have no idea who the gentleman concerned was, nor who his son was, nor did I even identify which sort of single seater race it was. Finally, I think the father's idea of dangerous was allowing the race to continue whilst it was raining.
If he in some way or another gets to read this, it's not an attack, but next time go the other way up the pit lane to race control.
ok, now go off and have a laugh again about the overprotective dad that suddenly realised racing was dangerous...
Old 24 Jul 2006, 11:04 (Ref:1663284)   #15
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had a similar thing happening to me on Saturday. Somebody starts yelling "use the blimmin' blue flag" several times.
Finally I look up into the paddock and see a driver / mechanic of the Mono series getting all very fired up, because the leading cars where catching slower ones.
He looks at me, shouts the same thing again, where I reply: if you could find me a flag marshal, we will do so. Big open eyes all of the sudden, mouth shuts just after mumbling something like "I'm sorry, I ......."

Not that the incident marshal who was flagging wasn't doing his best, quite the opposite I think. But that is the way people react nowadays.
They open their trap too soon, too often.
Old 24 Jul 2006, 11:13 (Ref:1663289)   #16
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
Quote:
But that is the way people react nowadays.
They open their trap too soon, too often.
caused by a failiure to engage brain before opening mouth
Old 24 Jul 2006, 11:28 (Ref:1663297)   #17
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The situation Eddy V decscribes is fairly similar to what would happen at any football/cricket/rugby match.
Old 24 Jul 2006, 12:30 (Ref:1663343)   #18
Walshy
Veteran

England
Lancashire
Walshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Sowman
The situation Eddy V decscribes is fairly similar to what would happen at any football/cricket/rugby match.
What are you on about Ian.

I've never heard of anyone asking for a Blue Flag to be waved at a Football, Cricket or Rugby Match!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stick to motorsport.
Old 24 Jul 2006, 13:07 (Ref:1663369)   #19
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Move over, the ball is about to be passed..... All linesmen should be equipped with a blue flag for passing, a yellow flag for overtaking under the offside rule, and a red flag for a sending off.
Old 24 Jul 2006, 13:12 (Ref:1663370)   #20
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And a white flag for when England are about to take part in a penalty shoot out...
Old 24 Jul 2006, 15:19 (Ref:1663432)   #21
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Clive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridClive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about an Oscar for when Portugal are playing (OK I know it's not a flag, but it's in the same spirit!), or score boards for the diving??
Old 24 Jul 2006, 15:35 (Ref:1663442)   #22
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodysnatcher
And Mr Brand, it was not an attack, merely an anecdote, a relating of circumstances,
OK, 'attack' was a bad (hasty!) choice of words, but, probably unknown to you, there were more coincidences than just the name.
Old 24 Jul 2006, 18:10 (Ref:1663540)   #23
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
diz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As far as I am concerned "our" kartingdad deserves everything he gets