Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 30 Mar 2015, 20:39 (Ref:3521966)   #1026
Pontlieue
Racer

Pontlieue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPontlieue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
Has it passed the crash test yet?
The BR01 passed the crash tests just a few days before the ELMS test days.
Old 30 Mar 2015, 21:05 (Ref:3521978)   #1027
Danske
Veteran

Danske should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danathar View Post
I find it hard to believe that they couldn't entice the big p1 teams to compete at those events (or at least the first two). I'm not sure what is keeping that sort of arrangement from happening. I mean..I get it. P1 in Tudor for the season just does not have the cars for it, but not one race? Not Sebring or Daytona?
The Internet rumor I saw was that IMSA was willing to add P1 to the NAEC races if enough (all?) of the manufacturers would commit and they didn't.
Old 31 Mar 2015, 02:18 (Ref:3522051)   #1028
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Damian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't see a place in P2 for the American teams. I think the place for the American teams is the P1-L. But to allow them to compete, P1-L should use engines with standard block and not prototipes. This way, P1-L could be a good place for Chevy and Ford. Currently, P1-L is just powered by AER, so it could be changed. Other way, I don't see a place for the current US teams.

P1-L could compete at Sebring, Daytona and Petit Le Mans, it could be the best (called it cheap) of both worlds.
Old 31 Mar 2015, 05:45 (Ref:3522083)   #1029
BrentJackson
Racer

Canada
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
BrentJackson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBrentJackson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian Baldi View Post
I don't see a place in P2 for the American teams. I think the place for the American teams is the P1-L. But to allow them to compete, P1-L should use engines with standard block and not prototipes. This way, P1-L could be a good place for Chevy and Ford. Currently, P1-L is just powered by AER, so it could be changed. Other way, I don't see a place for the current US teams.

P1-L could compete at Sebring, Daytona and Petit Le Mans, it could be the best (called it cheap) of both worlds.
P1-L is not appreciably cheaper than P1s as it is, and I doubt that`s gonna change any time soon. I think IMSA will end up either with a very short field prototype field or without them in entirely in three years or so.
Old 31 Mar 2015, 10:38 (Ref:3522157)   #1030
pablocomics
Racer

Spain
Madrid
pablocomics should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There an aditional problem with LMP1-L and small constructors, the cars just can run on WEC, and that's very expensive. Being forced to move to a expensive series without any chance to win anything is totally unnatractive.

ACO will shoot on their oun foot if they continue with that nosense 2017 regulations
Old 31 Mar 2015, 10:51 (Ref:3522163)   #1031
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
http://sportscar365.com/industry/wol...-car-for-2016/

After 2015-rebranding-year, Wolf still wants to have their own new P2 car for next season + 2017 under grandfathering rules, but this is the interesting bit:

“The idea is to run the GB08 Tornado for the next two years before moving in LMP1 if we cannot continue in the small category,” Bellarosa said.
Old 31 Mar 2015, 11:18 (Ref:3522181)   #1032
Starfish Primer
Veteran

Spain
A Spaniard in Milton Keynes
Starfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
How many shots had the Wolf guy before the interview?
Old 31 Mar 2015, 11:28 (Ref:3522188)   #1033
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Maybe few but it's not like he could go anywhere else than LMP1 in the future with the machinery. Except LMP3, but that's not allowed at Le Mans apart from test day

As for still going ahead with own P2, yeah 1+1 years of eglibility isn't great, but there have been cars with even shorter lifespan so I guess as temporary placeholder it could be okay and show them how the business works...
Old 31 Mar 2015, 13:49 (Ref:3522251)   #1034
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
wdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Maybe few but it's not like he could go anywhere else than LMP1 in the future with the machinery. Except LMP3, but that's not allowed at Le Mans apart from test day

As for still going ahead with own P2, yeah 1+1 years of eglibility isn't great, but there have been cars with even shorter lifespan so I guess as temporary placeholder it could be okay and show them how the business works...
Wanna bet the old cars are grandfathered for a year or two? It seems unlikely that 3 or 4 manufacturers are going to have manufactured and sold a full field of cars by the start of the 2017 season.
Old 31 Mar 2015, 13:51 (Ref:3522253)   #1035
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdave0 View Post
Wanna bet the old cars are grandfathered for a year or two? It seems unlikely that 3 or 4 manufacturers are going to have manufactured and sold a full field of cars by the start of the 2017 season.
I don't have to bet, it's certain that they'll have year of grandfathered specs. Like they always do.The Wolf guy even says that the chassis would/will get second year that way. That's why I said 1+1

But I think by 2018 FIA will outlaw anyone apart from the trusted spec circle of lameness
Old 31 Mar 2015, 15:53 (Ref:3522315)   #1036
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Or maybe only the current cars from the 4 selected constructors will be grandfathered in and the rest being outlawed?
Old 31 Mar 2015, 16:16 (Ref:3522326)   #1037
Deleted
Veteran

That'd be BS, but I don't believe in it. ACO never had strict restrictions for grandfathered cars and who's allowed to run. I mean sometimes they've even made them kinda overpowered in comparison to cars complying with regs. Remember Pescarolo 01 in 2011 for example?

But if you reread the statement from Wolf you can sort of sense that ACO isn't feeding information too well atm...
Old 31 Mar 2015, 23:37 (Ref:3522526)   #1038
madfast
Rookie

madfast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
this is what i'd love to see

WEC: LMP1-H, LMP1, LMP2, GTE-Pro, GTE-Am
TUSC: LMP1, LMP3, GTE-Pro, GT3
ELMS: LMP2, LMP3, GTE-Am, GT3

the "new" LMP1 can be similar to what we have now in LMP2 except you can raise the cost cap, allow all pro drivers, allow race engines, allow limited manufacturer involvement, limit testing and development, etc. this way the "spec" 2017 LMP2 class is offset with a new LMP1 class that is relevant, competitive, and sustainable.

Last edited by madfast; 31 Mar 2015 at 23:46.
Old 1 Apr 2015, 01:09 (Ref:3522549)   #1039
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would perfer if TUSC went this route:

GTP, Lmp2(replaced PC),GTLM, GTD

LMP1 class appears only at NAEC races.

Tires are free but are cost capped with a set limit for every race.
Old 1 Apr 2015, 01:17 (Ref:3522550)   #1040
Bob Baldwin
Racer

United States
Shelbyville Ky
Bob Baldwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The question will be where does TUSC fit the LMP3 car in

Do they make it 5 classes ?
Old 1 Apr 2015, 01:46 (Ref:3522558)   #1041
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Baldwin View Post
The question will be where does TUSC fit the LMP3 car in

Do they make it 5 classes ?
In honor of Grand Am, they would be part of their own series, called the IMSA GRAND AM cup. Races would be two and half hours long and would race along with GT4, porsche americans, and some legacy tube frame cars. They would run along in some NAEC races like daytona and the Glen. But excluded from sebring and road atlanta.

The LMP3 cars would have a choice of any 5liter stock block V8 engine they choose.
Old 1 Apr 2015, 02:00 (Ref:3522559)   #1042
Bob Baldwin
Racer

United States
Shelbyville Ky
Bob Baldwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why ? would they be excluded from Sebring and Road Atlanta ?
Old 1 Apr 2015, 02:08 (Ref:3522561)   #1043
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Cost reason.
Old 1 Apr 2015, 02:29 (Ref:3522564)   #1044
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Damian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have to say that I never liked the DP cars until two years ago. From 2012 to today, the DP cars looks good, like a prototype from the 80s with soft lines. I always liked the idea to run engines from street cars block. But then I heard about the cost of these cars superior to the current P2.

I find very difficult to find a place for the american competition on the actual scenery. Their races deserve high level competition, but I can't see it on the current P2 (even worse if you add the future unique engine). What' the idea of the P3? Another unique engine "formula"?.

If the P1 cars are not going to Daytona and Sebring, I think the DP doesn't deserve to die.
Old 1 Apr 2015, 03:59 (Ref:3522579)   #1045
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian Baldi View Post
I have to say that I never liked the DP cars until two years ago. From 2012 to today, the DP cars looks good, like a prototype from the 80s with soft lines. I always liked the idea to run engines from street cars block. But then I heard about the cost of these cars superior to the current P2.

I find very difficult to find a place for the american competition on the actual scenery. Their races deserve high level competition, but I can't see it on the current P2 (even worse if you add the future unique engine). What' the idea of the P3? Another unique engine "formula"?.

If the P1 cars are not going to Daytona and Sebring, I think the DP doesn't deserve to die.
I think in TUSC the cars will end up being carbon fiber tubbed ('spine' in TUSC terms) cars that look very close the the gen3 DP as well as the 'WEC' models.

L.P.
Old 1 Apr 2015, 04:05 (Ref:3522581)   #1046
Rcz
Veteran

United States
People would probably like DPs more if they were freed up rule wise. I actually like the areo restrictions on the nose or bumper, because it prevent that weird raise nose gap thing that current prototypes have these day.

A DP at around 900kg with unrestricted ground effects and 600-700hp, yeah I think people would like them a little bit more.
Old 1 Apr 2015, 04:56 (Ref:3522587)   #1047
BrentJackson
Racer

Canada
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
BrentJackson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBrentJackson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
I think in TUSC the cars will end up being carbon fiber tubbed ('spine' in TUSC terms) cars that look very close the the gen3 DP as well as the 'WEC' models.

L.P.
No, they will end up looking quite similar to the LMP2s in Europe, at least while they exist, which by 2018 or 2019 they probably won't. And, frankly, if they are like these rules, they don't deserve to.
Old 1 Apr 2015, 05:14 (Ref:3522592)   #1048
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Depends if Chevy will play ball or not.
Old 1 Apr 2015, 13:41 (Ref:3522729)   #1049
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
wdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcz View Post
Depends if Chevy will play ball or not.
Depends on if GM will pay IMSA enough to get the engine they want to use made legal. The IMSA rules really look like carbon fiber DPs in concept, they are a natch for it - P2 Corvettes ahoy!
Same with free tires, the other manufacturers would have to pony up a total to exceed the Contnental stipend, otherwise no change.

Last edited by wdave0; 1 Apr 2015 at 14:09.
Old 1 Apr 2015, 14:32 (Ref:3522744)   #1050
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Aren't the new-for-2017-spec-P2s supposed to be more powerful than the current cars (+50hp or something)? That might/probably will result in slightly faster cars.

I believe IMSA should go for a P2+ (or P1 Light or DP 4.0 or whatever you wanna call it) car which shares the spec P2 platform but has more powerful engines with more liberal bodywork allowed (don't care if it's manufacturer specific or not) and other design freedoms (bigger wings etc.) in order to speed up their top prototype class significantly - and make their series more appealing. (Allowing an unlimited number of constructors would be desired but not essential.)

Competing at LM would be a whole different matter - unless the ACO recreates the IMSA class (for their protos this time). But it's not like many US prototype teams have participated at La Sarthe in the recent past (last 10 years or so) and the US manufacterers do not seem to be overly interested in competing in the prototype classes either (their interests are in GTE/GTLM), so it's almost a non issue I would say.