Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 2 Sep 2000, 19:39 (Ref:34606)   #1
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It occurred to me this evening as I was being cut up by yet another dork who was about to miss his exit, that it's high time the idiots on the road were named and shamed.

Just think, instead of sounding your horn in anger, or waving the irremovable digit, or driving up their tailgate, you could sit back and relax, your sense of justice comforted by the knowledge that you can sound off about them to the entire planet when you get home.

When I logged on tonight, I glanced at the "5 people you would get rid of" thread, and realised that right here and right now, my five were all on the M40 between Silverstone and Ruislip.

One note of caution - best not to go the whole way with scribbling down licence plates or anything - you might have an accident all on your own doing that!

So tonight's candidate, to start things off...

The white 1991 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.0, off the sliproad to Ruislip and Ickenham. Yes, sir - that's you I'm talking about. Not content with hareing onto the roundabout without bothering to stop for oncoming traffic, you then had the nerve to come clattering along the central reservation and duck in front of me, neatly filling my braking area. Then you had the temerity to flash your dick'ead lights at me and give me a wave of thanks.

Thanks nothing, pal. You're lucky I'm not in your boot.

Over to you, people - who really got your goat on the road today?....
Old 2 Sep 2000, 19:52 (Ref:34609)   #2
White Van Man
Racer

White Van Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The wave of thanks is essential if you are not to end up in a fight... it usually raises a chuckle in the other car, and you get away with whatever you've done
Old 2 Sep 2000, 20:00 (Ref:34611)   #3
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Actually, if it's done to me, WVM, it generally raises my hackles even more. I'm being thanked for something that was totally outside my will.

The one hand gesture that has dissipated a situation for me - as the aggrieved party - was the driver who once chopped me, and then made a signal of raising a pointed finger to the temple of his head and made as to pull a trigger...

"Sorry mate, I should be shot for that..." It's tricky to know how to get an apology across from one car to another. But that came pretty close for me.

Hey, White Van Man, does your monicker suggest that you drive for a living? I'll bet you've got some classics you can share with us...?
Old 2 Sep 2000, 20:10 (Ref:34612)   #4
White Van Man
Racer

Yes, it does TimD... and I have, but i'll save them for another time

If someone did the gun thing at me i'd probably ram them! It could be taken to mean that they want to kill the person they've just carved up
Old 2 Sep 2000, 21:07 (Ref:34628)   #5
MichaelC
Veteran

MichaelC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who really wound me up today -

The group in front of us, who held us up on every shot for all 18 holes. Such that a very public screaming match was required to enable me to vent my anger on the inconsiderate heathen who destroyed my afternoon. He wasn't even dressed properly...
Old 2 Sep 2000, 22:20 (Ref:34642)   #6
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This week more people than you could imagine have made me MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD!

Old 2 Sep 2000, 22:38 (Ref:34653)   #7
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

It's the dorks who sit in the middle lane get me, with the nearside lane empty for miles ahead. Next time the goverment wants to add a lane maybe they should look at adding another middle lane rather than a nearside lane.

Another fustrater is the person who pulls out a junction jussssttt before me & then procededs to hover between 1st & 2nd gear, just over 23 mph until making a right turn 1/2 mile up the road. GGGggrrrrrrrrr.

Maybe we should set up a web site. Name & shame

Simon
Old 3 Sep 2000, 03:04 (Ref:34709)   #8
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We have a "right turn on red" rule in Canada which some people take to mean WITHOUT STOPPING FIRST. Today one of them nearly ran me down in the crosswalk, slammed on his brakes and then sat there screaming out the window at me for being in the crosswalk! Being a politely raised young lady as I am, I could scream a lot louder than he could and after reminding him that the law requires him to stop at the red light, I told him I was a lawyer (not exactly true) and if he kept it up he'd be hearing from me further. He decided to make his turn and get the heck out of Dodge instead.

I would add to him the inconsiderate prats on bicycles and skateboards who use the sidewalks and scream at pedestrians, the morons who PARK THEIR CARS on the sidewalks, and all those with doublewide baby carriages who walk slower than the average slug.
Old 3 Sep 2000, 14:04 (Ref:34794)   #9
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
while i was enjoying my south of france annual vacation, i took the car out for a drive down the coats. i needed some petrol, and stopped. as i turned out of the petrol station, a guy with a little car and a local (06) 'plate threw his brakes on, got out of his car, and tried to open the door of the car behind him (a tourist - 31 plates, i believe). the person inside (a woman, i think) held onto the door for dear life, and locked it quick. this guy then proceeded to kick the living daylights out of her car door, and tried to destroy it. the driver pulled around his car (which had rolled forward cause he forgot to put the handbrake on), and sped off quick. mr peeved from mandelieu stood in the middle of the road for a while, and looked like he was about to kill someone, then went back to his car (now quite a way dow the road), and drove off. nice one.

from a more personal point of view, i hate people who sit on my bumper in the fast lane. i'm doing 90 - i'd like to see them go faster in their fiesta....

any stupid english driver should be sent to france, eg nice, to learn how to drive properly. it'd keep them off the road forever.

and the idiots who ride their bicycles on the road when there's a clearly labelled cycle/pedestrian path just alongside. horses are not in favour either.
Old 3 Sep 2000, 17:11 (Ref:34812)   #10
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Horses and cyclists, eh, Bella? That may be perceived as fighting talk in some quarters....!

You drive a BMW, don't you? I just ask, because I wondered how long it would be before I cited a BMW in my personal little Pseuds Corner.

I need wait no longer, because tonight's Richard Cranium award goes to a grey 1999 BMW 318i on the M4 Eastbound near the Newbury turnoff. Yes, that's right, Mister T179***, I'm talking about you. Remember that move you pulled coming out of the crawler lane? Yes, I know you were trapped behind a camper towing a trailer tent, and that 40mph is an unnatural speed for a car like yours, but the green Subaru Impreza was doing at least twice that when you pulled out, without indication, right in front of it.

Thank heaven I was keeping a prescribed braking distance behind the Subaru, because I was able to take evasive action. Incidentally, T179***, if you did glance in your mirrors, the smoke from all four tyres is not a standard feature of the Impreza. Doubly impressive as I believe they are actually fitted with anti-lock brakes. No accident was caused, but you better put your guardian angel on danger money, and quickly.

Honourable mention also goes to the blue Nissan Terrano II 4wd which stopped in the middle of a street wide enough for but one car, in order to ask directions, in Bruton village, Somerset this morning.

That showed a certain initiative, but in comparison with that grey BeeEm, our jeep driver will have to work on his technique.

Old 3 Sep 2000, 18:41 (Ref:34815)   #11
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well, Tim, we have our share idiots in Massachusetts. Last week it was announced that we have the safest driving record of all fifty states. When this fact was published last week in the press, there was a collective guffaw from the 6 million residents of this State who risk their lives on the highways each day.

Liz, I fully agree with you, It is my contention that the ridiculous traffic law most in need of repealing is the idiotic "Right-Turn-on-Red". Not only do most drivers not stop, but many force their way into oncoming traffic making those with the right-of-way slam on their brakes to avoid a collision or even miss their green light and wait for the next cycle. Often when I am at an intersection, waiting to make a right turn against a red light, I will wait for the traffic on the cross street to subside or a pedestrian or bicycle to pass and some lunatic behind will honk at me in frustration because their little Jason and Tiffany are late for soccer practise. The worst is when a a sign is posted forbidding said turn and the cretin will pull around you on the left and cut across your nose, giving the finger. I guess that I am operating under the delussion that literacy is a prerequisite for obtaining a driver's license.

Some sadist in the Massachusetts Highway Department has come up with the brilliant idea that the Breakdown Lanes on the freeways MAY be used for travel in RESTRICTED AREAS during rush hour. Unfortunately, many pigs with a heightened sense of entitlement fail to understand the limited times and limited areas where this is allowed.
As I head north from Boston each evening with the traffic moving at a steady 65-70 MPH, I curse the cowboys who hurtle along in the right-hand breakdown lane at 80, daring anyone to exit at the next off-ramp.
Old 4 Sep 2000, 14:01 (Ref:34939)   #12
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Ive gotta get in on this.

the clown I work with who drives a red holden Commodore VB..who decided to go home for dinner and then return to work ..but he left his brakes at home apparently and managed to ram my car in the car park....he didnt even come and tell me just went back to work as if nothing happened..until the end of the shift..when we both were leaving..I noticed he was a bit close to my car and had a closer look to discover that he had hit it..i waited for him to exit the building..and calmly said to him.."umm it looks like you need to buy a new radiator..ya stupid PR*CK"
hahaha..i have a lovely tow bar on the back and it brilliantly punctured a hole in his radiator..to this I hoped in my car and drove off..leaving him there..no damage was done to my car..tomorrow should be interesting
Old 4 Sep 2000, 15:01 (Ref:34953)   #13
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Eero, Liz, I agree with you completely about the turn left on red rule. It is that rule that makes it so dangerous for pedestrians and cyclists at busy intersections. In the province of Quebec they have banned right hand turns on red light rule, and Quebec is still the most dangerous province in Canada to cross the street. Although I think this is because Quebec has some of the most dangerous drivers in the world, and might work better somewhere else. Is there somewhere else in the world where you cannot turn left on a red light? I am curious if it has meant fewer people hit by cars.
Old 4 Sep 2000, 15:41 (Ref:34960)   #14
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Quebecois are the worst pedestrians in the world as well - they just wander out in front of everything from express buses to bicycles and expect the world to come to a screeching halt for them. (My nephew, who jaywalks incessently, always prefaces his lunges into traffic with "Pardon me, we're from Montreal.")

Eero, the driving test in Toronto does not require any knowledge of English. Astounding, but true. The triumph of Political Correctness over sanity, I guess.
Old 4 Sep 2000, 17:40 (Ref:34981)   #15
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I lose track of the number of idiots I see on the M60 Manchester ring road every day, there's far too many to mention. However, a recent encounter worthy of note was returning from Donington a few weeks back and finding myself behind the idiot on the M6 who spotted one of the speed cameras just before the roadworks at Knutsford. His reaction was the slam on the anchors and the entire middle lane suddenly found itself braking down to less than 20mph!!! Lets just say I found out how good my brakes were that day!
Also had fun going to Silverstone the other weekend. I left Hilton Park services and quickly found myself behind an Omega and a Volvo estate who must have found something to argue about further back up the motorway. Obviously they were now intent on winding one another up, overtaking, undertaking, swerving across all 3 lanes and doing all of this at about 55mph, so they were building up a nice queue of cars behind them because they were so intent on being silly with each other that it was not apparent which lane they would swerve into next, so nobody dared to try to pass them. This fun didn't stop until one of them took the M5 and the other the M6.
Old 4 Sep 2000, 22:04 (Ref:35031)   #16
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On the way to Donington some pillock drove past us on the M69 at what we reckoned to be over 100 mph, given we were doing 80... Therefore we were most amused when we passed said vehicle in the hard shoulder with a policeman questioning the driver.

Old 4 Sep 2000, 22:25 (Ref:35037)   #17
White Van Man
Racer

100mph is hardly unusual for a vehicle to top the ton. Indeed, on a suitable (and empty) length of tarmac there is nothing remotely dangerous about it.

I did once have a big Jag pass me at what was WAY over the hundred on the M3. I saw it again shortly after - on the central reservation, facing the direction from whence it had come. Made me chuckle anyway
Old 5 Sep 2000, 02:36 (Ref:35059)   #18
Liz
Veteran

Driving 100 mph down the breakdown lane is only a good idea if you are Nelson Piquet or Gilles Villeneuve. Otherwise you are likely to slam into someone who is, well, broken down.

The bird that gets me is the one that sits at a red traffic light incessantly blowing his horn because he wants to turn right on red and the guy in front of him is going straight and is so inconsiderate sa to not, I assume, run the redlight so the nitwit behind him can turn right two seconds sooner! Unless he has to go to the bathroom right away, there is no reason for this.
Old 5 Sep 2000, 14:26 (Ref:35131)   #19
enzo
Racer

enzo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ahhhhh, EERO - Driving in Taxachusetts is so much fun ! 128 in rush hour is great practice for Lime Rock !

I lived there for many years, and compared to here in Indy, Massachusetts drivers are quite skillfull! The highways here have 1/4 the number of cars, but the accident rate is twice as high. Most of the drivers here should be limited to riding lawnmowers.

For a while I commuted from Hull to Watertown daily via 128- the cops used to sit on certain spots of the breakdown lane, usually just past the top of a hill, to surprise those who tried to use it as a shortcut. Every morning I would see at least 10 cars being ticketed - seems some people aren't very observant, or their memories are very short !

I moved & then commuted from Woburn to Watertown daily via the back roads. Most of the drive was quick & civil - you saw the same cars every day & everyone behaved themselves, except for one guy at a particular intersection in Waltham. As we approached a T intersection, the road widened to 3 lanes, with the center lane for left turns at the lights. As almost everyone turned right there, the left turn lane was always empty. Well, this one clown in an jacked up orange Chevelle SS396 ( real inconspicuous car !) would come screaming down the center lane & turn right, cutting everyone off & causing untold numbers of close calls - it got to the point that you would keep an eye on your left side mirror as you turned right!

After about a month of this foolishness (we never, ever, saw a cop there), someone decided to take matters into their own hands, and as luck would have it, they were at the right spot at the intersection to carry it off. One morning, Mr. Orange Chevelle found a bucket of white paint splashed across his windshield just as he got to the intersection. Needless to say, he panicked, and drove straight on through the intersection into a very large oak tree on someone's front lawn at about 30 mph. The number of horns that honked as everyone drove by, accompanied by laughing, clapping & cheering, was amasing ! The hero of the day, a grey haired gentleman in an expensive suit, driving a Merc 450SL, took a bow, waved to everyone, and then got back in his car and drove off as if nothing happened!

We never did see that Chevelle again, nor anyone else trying the same stunt.
Old 5 Sep 2000, 15:54 (Ref:35140)   #20
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
tim, i do drive a bmw. and i even let people in at junctions, drive under 30 in villages and all the naughty things we're not supposed to do. but she's not really a bmw. she's too old.
carrie - speed cameras? on the m 60? oops.....

anyone ever had a 'race' with someone up the motorway? i had one with a chauffeur driven merc 4 by 4, and by the end of the slipstreaming and overtaking down the a1, we were doing 110.....*whistles innocently*

you'd all probably hate me. i'm the one who knows exactly how wide her car is, and will squeeze through any gap big enough. i'm also the one who annoys you when you're doing 40 in a 50mph zone, and goes straight past you before a roundabout when the 1 lane turns to 2. i'm the one who parks on double yellows opposite the maypole pub in cambrige, and never pays her way in pay and display car parks.

rock on, speed deamons....
Old 5 Sep 2000, 18:01 (Ref:35152)   #21
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Great story, Enzo. As luck would have it, I happen to work in Watertown. My commute follows much the same route as your past commute. I live about 10 miles North of Woburn on 93. Its a hellacious commute, particularly at the intersection with 128 where people will screech across three lanes of heavy traffic to cut into the line of cars waiting to exit onto 128.

I'm soon going to have to keep nitro-glycerine in my glove box for my heart.
Old 6 Sep 2000, 02:16 (Ref:35260)   #22
Liz
Veteran

Or you could lob it through an open window - I hear it does blow up if sufficiently concentrated!
Old 6 Sep 2000, 06:10 (Ref:35280)   #23
enzo
Racer

enzo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gads - you are definetely masochistic if you live up there & take that route to work ! That interchang is horrible !

You other Euro-types haven't seen anything until you've experienced Boston rush hour traffic ! Even Rome is a piece of cake in comparison.

I refused to drive via 128 to work, even though I lived 1/2 mile south of it on Rt.3 ( Cambridge Road) - the back way through Lexington was a lot easier.

Try changing your commute time - my house-mate worked in downtown Boston & found that leaving at 6:30 rather than 6:45 saved 45 minutes of commute time ! I found the same when living in Hull - if I left 10 minutes later, it would take 45 minutes longer ! Sorry - not much can be done about the return trip ! Maybe go up Rt.3a thru Burlington & cut over so as to miss the 128/93 interchange ?

It's either that, or move to Wayland, Wellesley, or Lincoln ! Can you say "Big Bucks" ?
Old 6 Sep 2000, 18:08 (Ref:35368)   #24
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
Actually, Enzo, I avoid 128 at all but off hours.

To get to Watertown, I take 93 into Medford and wind through Somerville and Cambridge entering Watertown by Mt. Auburn.
My wife's office is coincidently also in Watertown. Between us, we have tried every permutation including Rte. 3. At best I can make the 27 mile trip in 45 minutes, but at rush hour it can easily drag into an hour and a half.

I don't know how long it has been since you lived here, but now even New Hampshire is a commuting suburb to Boston. This means that even as early as 6:00 AM, a steady line of Ford F150's and Dodge Rams is racing south from the State where they'd rather "Live Free or Die" to jobs on the Big Dig.
I almost got hit by an empty "Bud" can tossed from a careening "Suburban" on my way into work this morning.

Our commuting schedule is dictated by School hours, but when I can, I'm out the door by 5:30, other days only after the school bus has picked my son up at 8:30. Either way, I miss the worst of the traffic.

Old 8 Sep 2000, 00:15 (Ref:35619)   #25
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
And tonight's candidate for Pseuds Corner is...

A black "H" registered Saab 9000CD. He has bought his car from Will Gollop, the rally driver. I can tell, because the dealer sticker on the licence plate says so. And the reason I was reading his dealer sticker so closely is because he decided to emulate that rally driver by galloping across the grass verge when he missed the M27 - A326 turnoff at Lyndhurst and decided he could still make it. And he decided he could still make it even if it meant slotting into the gap I had left between myself and the car in front.