Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 Sep 2007, 15:48 (Ref:2024476)   #1
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
2007 Japanese GP.

Well that is quite possibly the most dreary part of this political cesspit of a season out of the way. The WMSC had its hearing, everyone had their say, Max listened intently (to his iPod by the looks of things) and Luca de Montezemolo is a happy man once again as he campaigned successfully to end Ferrari's recent world title famine.

But enough, that is the last you'll hear about it from me.

What we are left with, strewn amidst the wreckage, is a pure title shootout over three races. Lewis Hamilton leads the way by a meagre two points over teammate Fernando Alonso. And sneaking up ever closer is Mr Raikkonen. I really don't think we can rule him out yet.

So what better time to go to a new track, a new challenge? Well, yes, but did it really have to be at the expense of Suzuka? Whatever, it does leave us guessing a bit and this can only be a good thing I suppose. All adds to the tension.

Kimi will be hoping that Ferrari have the upper hand here. If it turns out that McLaren have the advantage, and they hold it through the race it is game over for him you feel. Kimi has to finish ahead, ideally win, to keep things going.

Massa on the other hand needs a miracle. He needs the three ahead to retire. Preferably in both of the next two races! He can be mathematically ruled out quite easily on Sunday.

On a neat note, DC is running a helmet this weekend in the colours of the legendary Colin McRae. A real nice touch that.

Enjoy the race. It's time to forget the past.

Current drivers championship standings
Pos.DriverTeamPointsWins
1.Lewis HamiltonMcLaren-Mercedes973
2.Fernando AlonsoMcLaren-Mercedes954
3.Kimi RaikkonenFerrari844
4.Felipe MassaFerrari773
5.Nick HeidfeldBMW-Sauber560
6.Robert KubicaBMW-Sauber330
7.Heikki KovaleinenRenault220
8.Giancarlo FisichellaRenault170
9.Nico RosbergWilliams-Toyota150
10.Alexander WurzWilliams-Toyota130
11.Mark WebberRed Bull-Renault100
12.David CoulthardRed Bull Renault80
13.Jarno TrulliToyota70
14.Ralf SchumacherToyota50
15.Takuma SatoSuper Aguri-Honda40
16.Jenson ButtonHonda20
17.Sebastien VettelBMW-Sauber10

Current constructors championship standings
Pos.ConstructorPointsWins
1.Ferrari1616
2.BMW-Sauber900
3.Renault390
4.Williams-Toyota280
5.Red Bull-Renault180
6.Toyota120
7.Super Aguri-Honda40
8.Honda20
9=Scuderia Toro Rosso-Ferrari00
9=Spyker-Ferrari00
9=McLaren-Mercedes07

Japanese GP: recent history

2006 top eight finishers
Pos.DriverTeamTime/gapGrid pos.
1.Fernando AlonsoRenault1h23m52.4135th
2.Felipe MassaFerrari+16.151Pole
3.Giancarlo FisichellaRenault+23.9536th
4.Jenson ButtonHonda+34.1017th
5.Kimi RaikkonenMcLaren-Mercedes+43.59611th
6.Jarno TrulliToyota+46.7174th
7.Ralf SchumacherToyota+48.8693rd
8.Nick HeidfeldBMW-Sauber+1m16.0959th

Other previous winners
YearDriverTeam
2005Kimi RaikkonenMcLaren-Mercedes
2004Michael SchumacherFerrari
2003Rubens BarrichelloFerrari
2002Michael SchumacherFerrari
2001Michael SchumacherFerrari
2000Michael SchumacherFerrari
1999Mika HakkinenMcLaren-Mercedes
1998Mika HakkinenMcLaren-Mercedes
1997Michael SchumacherFerrari
1996Damon HillWilliams-Renault

Circuit and race weekend information
Circuit map and timetable
Live timing
Event artwork
Official site

Cheer and commiserate in the chat room.

And try to guess stuff in the predictions competition.
Old 27 Sep 2007, 15:56 (Ref:2024480)   #2
pottiella
Veteran

pottiella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
about time knowlesy

it's gonna rain!!!!

yes, Mr Raikkonen shouldn't be counted out...in fact I might have changed my predictions to him...

Anyway, looks like everyone's a little pleasantly surprised at finding the circuit more of a challenge than they first expected. All the teams have been out "walking the track"..or in some of the drivers' cases, "riding the track on a motorbike!".

I would like to believe we will be rewarded for our sufferings from over the last few races, and have more than a procession...

As for DC...yep...a very fitting kinda tribute from racing driver to racing driver...and friend.
Old 27 Sep 2007, 16:17 (Ref:2024503)   #3
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I must say I don't want Alonso to win this championship anymore. I have always been happy for him to well before, but now I'm well and truly behind Hamilton. Alonso's attitude to the challenge faced by having a decent team-mate and towards his team stinks.

If that is considered "bashing" then so be it. You just can't convince some people that you have a right to an opinion and I have briefly stated why I feel this way. Anyway, it's good to feel passionate about something in a way I guess It's a shame I have to feel this way about him right now but at least a situation has arose in which I have a clear person to cheer on as we approach the final races in the championship.
Old 27 Sep 2007, 17:19 (Ref:2024545)   #4
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
The weather is forecast to be considerably cooler this weekend at the Fuji circuit.With showers predicted throughout Saturday and Sunday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?world=2330

Kofu is,I think,just North of Mount Fuji.

Last edited by Marbot; 27 Sep 2007 at 17:22.
Old 27 Sep 2007, 17:29 (Ref:2024551)   #5
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Poor visibility for sunday, but it says now that it's going to be cloudy.
Old 27 Sep 2007, 17:35 (Ref:2024557)   #6
koper
Veteran

Poland
Tychy(PL)
koper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkoper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer
I must say I don't want Alonso to win this championship anymore. I have always been happy for him to well before, but now I'm well and truly behind Hamilton. Alonso's attitude to the challenge faced by having a decent team-mate and towards his team stinks.

If that is considered "bashing" then so be it. You just can't convince some people that you have a right to an opinion and I have briefly stated why I feel this way. Anyway, it's good to feel passionate about something in a way I guess It's a shame I have to feel this way about him right now but at least a situation has arose in which I have a clear person to cheer on as we approach the final races in the championship.
For me the only WDC can be Raikkonen. If any of McLaren drivers get the crown, it won't mean anything for me.

That's funny that they haven't been taken all points. Why? well...first of all - Formula 1 is a business and than it is sport.

But don't we have a different threat for that?

Anyway from those two i would prefer Alonso to win.
Old 27 Sep 2007, 17:43 (Ref:2024568)   #7
pottiella
Veteran

If you want a more visual perspective of the weather forecast...not relying on "the nearest town" then this might help:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/world/east_asia/#no_url

You have to scroll forward for the day that you want to see for...

rain on Sunday methinks...
Old 27 Sep 2007, 18:03 (Ref:2024580)   #8
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
All it takes is a DNF for either McLaren driver and Kimi is right there, this could still turn into a Ferrari double.
Old 27 Sep 2007, 18:07 (Ref:2024584)   #9
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pottiella

rain on Sunday methinks...
This could be it! The wet race we've all been waiting for! Goooooo Jenson!

No seriously though.A Honda win here would be really good,particularly if you don't like Toyota.
Old 27 Sep 2007, 20:54 (Ref:2024671)   #10
Leighton Irwin
Veteran

Canada
Victoria Harbour (on Georgian Bay)
Leighton Irwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Martyn: Where did you get that good stuff you have been smoking?
Old 27 Sep 2007, 21:03 (Ref:2024675)   #11
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There we go to the japanese realms... an exciting race hopefully !
Old 27 Sep 2007, 21:12 (Ref:2024682)   #12
S.Moss
Racer

England
Wakefield, West Yorkshire
S.Moss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think the only time we'll here Formula One and Exciting together is either on a racing game, if we have a wet race and half of them spin out like at Interlagos (can't remember the year) and Nurburgring this year

I hope it rains, come on Sutil, win from the back
Old 27 Sep 2007, 21:13 (Ref:2024684)   #13
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Your definition of an exciting race is one where everyone spins out?
Old 27 Sep 2007, 23:48 (Ref:2024749)   #14
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
For all those Ferrari conspiracy theorists out there (and you are still around despite Michael's departure), note that had the FIA kept the Japanese race at Suzuka, it could well be argued that its fast and flowing nature would most likely have suited the Prancers right down to the ground - and a Spa-esque result would have followed.

The rather stop-start and slow nature of particular sections of Fuji could well and truly reverse the favour towards the unholy union (Lewis and Fernando).
Old 27 Sep 2007, 23:57 (Ref:2024757)   #15
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Has anyone ever suggested that tracks are selected to favour team?

Tracks are selected for money!
Old 28 Sep 2007, 00:06 (Ref:2024763)   #16
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Looking forward to catching the replay of this one. (Race starts at 2AM my time, that = NO.)
Old 28 Sep 2007, 00:07 (Ref:2024764)   #17
pottiella
Veteran

am I the only one stayin' up to follow free practices and quali/race this weekend? I love following F1 through the night in east Asia..
Old 28 Sep 2007, 01:14 (Ref:2024795)   #18
koper
Veteran

Poland
Tychy(PL)
koper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkoper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pottiella
am I the only one stayin' up to follow free practices and quali/race this weekend? I love following F1 through the night in east Asia..
I'm following free practice, despite it is 3am where I am.
I have no doubt I will be sleeping while the next one is on.
Old 28 Sep 2007, 01:45 (Ref:2024799)   #19
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone noticed the track diagram on the live timing is Suzuka? Oops.

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.
Old 28 Sep 2007, 01:48 (Ref:2024800)   #20
pottiella
Veteran

Those Ferraris are lookin mighty fiesty on first glance...and they're doing long runs too!

I think Alonso initially got caught up in a yellow flag situation...but even then he's not lookin particularly racy at the moment! He better pick it up over the next couple of sessions, else if this will be his relative pace compared to the other three, as they will all steadily improve, he can kiss the championship goodbye...

Early times yet, I know...but still worth noting!
Old 28 Sep 2007, 02:20 (Ref:2024808)   #21
pottiella
Veteran

haha, Adrian Sutil fifth!! For now only maybe...but still nice to see him up there as the "best of the rest" after Ferrari and McLaren!!

Looks tight so far between McLaren and Ferrari...the "fastest lap" disparity is a bit deceptive, as ultimate sectors times are almost identical, with Ferrari just edging it by a tenth or two...

Will be fascinating to see each team's progress! Sutil for Spyker podium though ...for sure!!
Old 28 Sep 2007, 02:27 (Ref:2024813)   #22
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Look at Adrian Sutil....you go and get them lad!
Old 28 Sep 2007, 02:28 (Ref:2024814)   #23
Smurfer
Racer

Australia
Smurfer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
Enjoy the race. It's time to forget the past.
[/COLOR][/B][/URL].
Ahhhhhmen
Old 28 Sep 2007, 02:34 (Ref:2024818)   #24
pottiella
Veteran

has someone suddenly set Kimi alight or something? lol because that guy is fire!! Took him a little longer to get used the track than Massa it seems...but now he's dwarfing Massa! Good stuff from the kimster...

The McLarens look paler and paler...do they have something more? I'm not so sure...considering how practice sessions really have shown all year to be indicative of relative performance between the two teams for respective races.

Adrian Sutil finished 9th...doing much the same number of laps as most of them above him!! Consistent stuff as well...I wonder if it will hold all weekend? Would be brilliant if it did!

Last edited by pottiella; 28 Sep 2007 at 02:36.
Old 28 Sep 2007, 02:35 (Ref:2024819)   #25
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
Has anyone ever suggested that tracks are selected to favour team?
I never suggested that anyone had suggested it.

Merely making the point that for those who for many years have suggested that the sport's organisers have been puppets of Ferrari, the decision to switch from Suzuka to Fuji may (if recent races are anything to go by) have provided a significant blow to Ferrari's championship bid this year.

Get down off your horse.