Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 5 May 2010, 22:59 (Ref:2685077)   #1
Eep
Rookie

United States
Houston, Texas
Eep should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brands Hatch Masters Festival

Hello, all! I'm a lifelong racing enthusiast from the States (mom says I would kick in the womb when the cars went by, and she spent a good part of her pregnancy turning a Midget into a race car with my dad and the driver). I'm headed to the UK for a wedding and, lo and behold, the timing works out for me and the wife to catch the last day of the Brands Hatch Masters Festival. I already ordered my tickets and I'm very excited but I know next to nothing about the venue from a viewer's standpoint, so I thought I would throw myself at the mercy of you fellows and see if anyone had any advice to maximize the experience. I'm already squared away for accomodations in London, but I'd love to hear which corners I should stand on, whether I should spring for the grandstand seats, where to get good food around the track, anything along those lines.

Cheers!
Erik
Old 6 May 2010, 06:55 (Ref:2685156)   #2
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Erik. Brands Hatch is an excellent circuit for viewing - it's much more undulating than it appears in photos. I suggest that you have a look round the paddock, then make your way slowly up the hill to the Druids hairpin. From there, you can walk across to the straight running down to Hawthorns, watching the cars go by as you do so. There is a bridge where you can cross to the inside of the circuit, and you can then walk round, fairly close to the action.

I don't usually go to circuits as a spectator, but I think you'll find that most of the grandstands will be free admission.

As for food - I suggest you have a Full English Breakfast at the hotel, so you won't feel too hungry during the day...
Old 6 May 2010, 07:56 (Ref:2685190)   #3
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Welcome Erik.
One of the best English meetings of the year. I wouldn't bother with grandstand tickets, it's on the full circuit so I would take a walk round, it's not often used these days. Paddock Hill bend is the favourite spectator point, followed by Druids. I would cross the bridge to the inside of Druids. Definately have a walk round to Hawthorns, Westfield and Dingle Dell and then up to Clark Curve.
I'll be attending as a marshal and will have to drive through London to get there, so if you guys want a lift you're quite welcome, you can then get breakfast at the circuit with the rerst of us marshals.
Old 6 May 2010, 08:46 (Ref:2685214)   #4
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The "Pitstopper" breakfast at the Kentagon is very good (and huge), and is best enjoyed whilst listening to the banter of the marshals (corner workers in US racing parlance).
Old 6 May 2010, 08:59 (Ref:2685220)   #5
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Best overall view is from the grandstand at the top of Paddock bend but I would advise you walk the entire outside of the circuit, it takes about an hour at a leisurely pace. As for food then Hailwoods in the outer paddock is pretty good now, I steer clear of the burger vans.
Old 6 May 2010, 09:01 (Ref:2685221)   #6
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sorry Alan, served in Hailwoods, not the Kentagon
Old 6 May 2010, 09:17 (Ref:2685226)   #7
E-racer
Rookie

Sweden
London
E-racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone know anything about entries for the various classes? Particularly interested in the sportscar masters and the 70s prototypes/interserie. Agree with the previous posts. Brands is a great little circuit with many good spectating opportunities. Inside of Druids is my favorite.
Old 6 May 2010, 09:26 (Ref:2685229)   #8
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with Tim - the grandstand on the outside of Paddock gives a great view all the way from Clearways, along the pit straight, through Paddock and up to Druids. You lose a bit of site round Druids but then catch them coming out and down the hill to Graham Hill bend and the Cooper straight.

But a walk up to Druids then round the back is also a good idea.
Old 6 May 2010, 09:48 (Ref:2685238)   #9
westfieldbend
Veteran

westfieldbend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Food at hailwoods is excellent and pretty reasonably priced, don't buy from any of the burger vans..

According to the fixture guide grandstand seats are £5 a day.

Personally I wouldn't bother with grandstand seats especially if its your first visit to the circuit as you will probably want to walk around the back. If you are doing so its advisable to bring a radio as there are no speakers on the GP loop and I believe 87.7FM is in use at all meetings this year. And if its raining bring some boots as dingle dell/westfield gets very muddy!
Old 6 May 2010, 09:49 (Ref:2685239)   #10
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-racer View Post
Does anyone know anything about entries for the various classes? Particularly interested in the sportscar masters and the 70s prototypes/interserie. Agree with the previous posts. Brands is a great little circuit with many good spectating opportunities. Inside of Druids is my favorite.
Details arrived this morning with entrant, 70's/interserie are garaged, it would appear entrants tickets are 'limited' but as yet not issued. This will be 'my mans' first race with B21 other than that I'm orf till Brands...
Old 6 May 2010, 11:56 (Ref:2685302)   #11
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just make sure your man doesn't give me anything to do Stuart,I'll be there for the duration.
Old 6 May 2010, 12:39 (Ref:2685328)   #12
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Erik

Come up to Race Control and ask for me - I'm sure I can arrange a trip round the circuit in the Course Car.
I've had so much hospitality in the US, it would be nice to be able to reciprocate
Old 6 May 2010, 12:58 (Ref:2685339)   #13
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Erik that is an invitation few of us have had and rarely one with a happy ending ;o)
Old 6 May 2010, 13:08 (Ref:2685350)   #14
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Maybe, but, at least, YOU'RE still speaking to me!
Old 6 May 2010, 13:12 (Ref:2685353)   #15
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
Just make sure your man doesn't give me anything to do Stuart,I'll be there for the duration.
I'll come round and annoy you Terence as my daughter wants to come down and talk shop and watch the cars so I'll be showing her around.
Old 6 May 2010, 13:53 (Ref:2685369)   #16
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngee View Post
Erik

Come up to Race Control and ask for me - I'm sure I can arrange a trip round the circuit in the Course Car.
I've had so much hospitality in the US, it would be nice to be able to reciprocate
You beat me to it John, we should be able to arrange to run Erik and Mrs Erik around the circuit in the X6.
Old 6 May 2010, 14:10 (Ref:2685380)   #17
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

I'll let you do it then - always takes me 15 minutes to start the X6.
Old 6 May 2010, 14:48 (Ref:2685403)   #18
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
Should be fairly bomb proof Terence, wi new RSJ splitter and rear spoiler...
Old 6 May 2010, 14:54 (Ref:2685408)   #19
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
LOL...I know - and then there's the handbrake
Old 6 May 2010, 15:03 (Ref:2685410)   #20
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet View Post
LOL...I know - and then there's the handbrake
I never found that! I was told it disengaged automatically! LOL
Old 6 May 2010, 15:07 (Ref:2685413)   #21
Piglet
Veteran

Quote:
I never found that! I was told it disengaged automatically! LOL
Yeah...they tell everyone that...then you find it's on manual!

I think driving random vehicles ought to be part of the clerks training modules!
Old 6 May 2010, 15:08 (Ref:2685416)   #22
Eep
Rookie

United States
Houston, Texas
Eep should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow, I am completely overwhelmed, this has to be the friendliest response to a first post on a forum I have ever received, thank you all so much. The tips are duly noted and very much appreciated. As for the offer from johngee and piglet--besides instilling their love of racing, my parents also did their best to raise me not to be a fool, so I humbly and gratefully accept and will be in touch via pm to work out the details. White flag man--that is very generous of you as well. I will have to look into exactly where our hotel is and get back to you, as it would be nonsense to send you far out of your way over a couple of pounds train fare, but if it works out well for everyone, conversation with a fellow enthusiast makes any trip more pleasant.

Again, I'm absolutely blown away. The racing community in the States tends to be a friendly bunch as well so I was hopeful that I would get a decent response, but this is something special.
Old 6 May 2010, 15:15 (Ref:2685419)   #23
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Gordon Bennet I know what you mean, my wife has a new BM and it is the dickens to start. I think the garage have inserted a chip in her finger 'cos she can start it ok. But I have had to play musical chairs with it (in the rain), outside to lock it up and reset it, then back in to try and get it to fire up. Whatever I do with the gears and clutch it doesn't like and refuses to start. Happily it seems to be working ok at the minute, although I haven't a clue what I am doing differently!
Old 6 May 2010, 15:41 (Ref:2685433)   #24
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eep View Post
White flag man--that is very generous of you as well. I will have to look into exactly where our hotel is and get back to you, as it would be nonsense to send you far out of your way over a couple of pounds train fare, but if it works out well for everyone, conversation with a fellow enthusiast makes any trip more pleasant.
Brands isn't the easiest place to get to by train but if wfm can't oblige there is a station at the end of my road which is on the line from London Charing Cross so I could always meet you there and give you a lift the 11 miles from my home, providing John sends me some tickets
Old 6 May 2010, 16:39 (Ref:2685454)   #25
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
providing John sends me some tickets
I hadn't forgotten!