Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 20 Oct 2020, 15:52 (Ref:4011670)   #926
Derwent
Racer

Derwent is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Of course Goose and other businesses have made millions out of these events over the years so don't feel sorry for them. I was saddened to read that they run Formula Student. That's just the sort of series that should be run by MSUK and backed by the motorsport industry as it is they that will benefit.
As regards MSUK committee meetings, that is the cost of democracy. Delegates travel costs are large because of the current location of Motorsport House and that many of us have flights into Heathrow. A three hour meeting at MSH involved a 90 miles drive to the airport, a day's parking a flight to Heathrow, a taxi ride an three hour meeting and the same in reverse. I am away for 16 hours. Fortunately we now Zoom and it takes less than three hours of my time. There will be a huge saving there
But moving to Bicester will be a big improvement and more accessible.
Old 20 Oct 2020, 17:06 (Ref:4011675)   #927
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwent View Post
Of course Goose and other businesses have made millions out of these events over the years so don't feel sorry for them. I was saddened to read that they run Formula Student. That's just the sort of series that should be run by MSUK and backed by the motorsport industry as it is they that will benefit.
As regards MSUK committee meetings, that is the cost of democracy. Delegates travel costs are large because of the current location of Motorsport House and that many of us have flights into Heathrow. A three hour meeting at MSH involved a 90 miles drive to the airport, a day's parking a flight to Heathrow, a taxi ride an three hour meeting and the same in reverse. I am away for 16 hours. Fortunately we now Zoom and it takes less than three hours of my time. There will be a huge saving there
But moving to Bicester will be a big improvement and more accessible.
To be fair, and speaking as an events person on these type of events, I doubt the organisers make anything like the return you imagine. Generally these sort of events might make a reasonable surplus in a good year and are high risk as has been shown this year. The CEO himself admitted the cancellation of the SC had put their business back 10 years.

Formula Student is owned and run by the Institue of Mechanical Engineers and is generally supported by assorted automotive industry - e.g Bosch have been a supporter, GLE are part of the organising team, but the event is ultimately an Imeche one.
Old 20 Oct 2020, 17:17 (Ref:4011678)   #928
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Shock news - Goose is a commercial firm which , like every other firm , exists, y'know , to make a profit . I don't really lose too much sleep that some of what I've paid them is profit . I have enjoyed many of their events , found any contact with them helpful and efficient and I feel very sorry for its staff , many of whom won't be shareholders , in this horrible time .

Am I supposed only to feel sympathy for volunteers - whose livelihood doesn't even depend on events happening ?
Old 21 Oct 2020, 08:27 (Ref:4011760)   #929
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There are two ways of looking at motor sport workers - some think everyone should do it "for the good of the sport" and some appreciate those who try to earn a living from it. I'm lucky to be working in the sport and get some very unpleasant comments from those in the former camp.

It's an expensive sport, both to compete in and put on. It needs certain skills that Goose will have brought to the table to ensure a fun and SAFE event. I don't begrudge a single penny of profit to big companies who absorb risks and costs to bring an amazing spectacle to life.

That they made good profits and may be able to ride out the disaster of CV-19 is terrific forward planning. Hopefully it means they will be around in 2021 or 2022 or whenever we're allowed out again. If they had run on a shoestring with no profits, the Classic and many other events would be dead by now.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 21 Oct 2020, 08:38 (Ref:4011761)   #930
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Totally agree with last post.
These same people are sticking their necks out putting on events now with reduced entries and no gate money.
Silverstone this weekend with MRL ( help from various sponsors) and Goodwood last weekend going ahead despite lots of outside pressure to stop them happening
Old 21 Oct 2020, 08:52 (Ref:4011764)   #931
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It's the dedication of racers and the like that have kept Motorsport going at a difficult time. I take my hat off to them
Old 21 Oct 2020, 09:11 (Ref:4011771)   #932
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Without the organisers their are no races!
That’s the bottom line.
Looking at the entry at weekend most racers would go to an opening of an envelope
Old 21 Oct 2020, 10:23 (Ref:4011780)   #933
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
Without the organisers their are no races!
That’s the bottom line.
Looking at the entry at weekend most racers would go to an opening of an envelope
Oy!

Its a good entry no doubt bolstered by the lack of Spa. We should celebrate this because unless we still have the Covid problems next year it's unlikely to happen again.
Old 3 Nov 2020, 20:29 (Ref:4014773)   #934
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting that the BARC Interclub meeting @ Brands is going ahead this weekend, looking at the timetable there's definitely no 'elite' formulas there.
Old 3 Nov 2020, 21:04 (Ref:4014776)   #935
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
Interesting that the BARC Interclub meeting @ Brands is going ahead this weekend, looking at the timetable there's definitely no 'elite' formulas there.
Hmmm, I think they are the support races for the British Truck Racing Championship and that appears to be classed as “elite motorsport”. I kid you not.
Old 4 Nov 2020, 03:16 (Ref:4014797)   #936
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Just as you people in the UK / Europe are going back into lockdowns and curfews as we had here, we have just been told here after a few months of nothing in Victoria under any circumstances, that small events will be allowed.... no spectators at this stage but if we continue to display good numbers after being released out into the public, and allowed to go to socially distanced restaurants, shops etc, (we can even get a haircut now!) that might change.

Otherwise competitors are allowed but one 'helper'. Sandown and Phillip Island have events planned as does Rob Roy have a hillclimb, all on consecutive weekends from the end of November through early December. (At least our weather is improving into summer)
A baptism of fire.
Old 4 Nov 2020, 14:29 (Ref:4014859)   #937
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
We had test at Silverstone booked Nov 13th. Just been told its postponed.
Old 4 Nov 2020, 19:57 (Ref:4014898)   #938
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I did my last test today, all the kart tracks are closing. PFI near Newark has opened entries for its race 5/6 December. Let's hope BJ keeps his promise and opens us up again on 2nd December!

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 4 Nov 2020, 20:35 (Ref:4014904)   #939
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Had our last bike day today before the latest closedown.
The next event I know of is the Plum Pudding on Boxing Day, subject to our glorious leader, although Javelin have pencilled in December 4th.

On another note, Real Motorsport, my employer have taken over the East Midlands Racing Association (EMRA) and will organise the running of their bike meetings which all happen @ Mallory.

Last edited by The Fat Clerk; 4 Nov 2020 at 20:42.
Old 5 Nov 2020, 10:38 (Ref:4014968)   #940
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Had our last bike day today before the latest closedown.
The next event I know of is the Plum Pudding on Boxing Day, subject to our glorious leader, although Javelin have pencilled in December 4th.

On another note, Real Motorsport, my employer have taken over the East Midlands Racing Association (EMRA) and will organise the running of their bike meetings which all happen @ Mallory.
Don't suppose Javelin will let in single seaters that day ?
Old 5 Nov 2020, 12:24 (Ref:4014976)   #941
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
You could ask them.
Old 5 Nov 2020, 13:24 (Ref:4014990)   #942
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Cancelled now, apparently
Old 5 Nov 2020, 13:25 (Ref:4014991)   #943
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Cancelled now, apparently
Yep: https://www.barc.net/statement-cance...-brands-hatch/
Old 5 Nov 2020, 14:08 (Ref:4015005)   #944
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
We're surprised because?

The thought that Truck Racing on an Interclub permit is classed as 'elite' is stretching a point in my opinion.

I'm sure they're nice people and competent drivers but come on.

At least the meeting @ Silverstone has an International Permit.
Old 6 Nov 2020, 19:25 (Ref:4015238)   #945
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Sadly, I understand that one of the event organisers of a large UK classic event has made a number of redundancies, tough times for event organisers and promoters.
Old 6 Nov 2020, 19:59 (Ref:4015241)   #946
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

A few organisers have redundancies and many on furlough
It’s today’s norm as they now say about most things!
Old 6 Nov 2020, 20:01 (Ref:4015243)   #947
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Forgot to add
Buy a Mike Bell calendar!
Old 8 Nov 2020, 19:22 (Ref:4015525)   #948
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
We had test at Silverstone booked Nov 13th. Just been told its postponed.
Now cancelled
Old 8 Nov 2020, 19:44 (Ref:4015527)   #949
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hmm. I guess that's it for 2020. I think I read earlier today that the pubs have had their licences for takeaway services extended to March 2021. Suggests we aren't getting back to any kind of normal soon.
Old 8 Nov 2020, 19:58 (Ref:4015537)   #950
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Suggests we aren't getting back to any kind of normal soon.
I dont know if we can rely on the big numbers launched by media but it seems the situation is far worse than was in March. We are prepared to have several periods of lockdown depending on how many people the hospitals can accept.