Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 27 Jul 2018, 16:51 (Ref:3839138)   #1
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
New SRO GT2

SRO has brought back GT2.
http://www.dailysportscar.com/2018/0...ighlights.html
It is intended to be the GT4 concept of allowable development but on more powerful cars. I am interested to see who is building cars for this. And I wonder if the cars will be faster than gt3?
Old 27 Jul 2018, 20:37 (Ref:3839183)   #2
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The impression i get from the press conference is that although the cars will be more powerful they are likely to be heavier and have very little aero because Ratel still wants GT3 to be the "premium" brand. Im not convinced there is that much demand, after all buy a GT3 or GT4 car you can race pretty much anywhere, this GT2 class will only be certain championships. Good thing is im wrong about almost everything so its going to end up a massive success.

Anyone watch the new Porsche GT3 testing at Monza on Youtube? During those videos there was a unidentified turbo 911 "cup" car on track, i wonder if that was designed for this new GT2 class?
Old 27 Jul 2018, 22:25 (Ref:3839194)   #3
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
The impression i get from the press conference is that although the cars will be more powerful they are likely to be heavier and have very little aero because Ratel still wants GT3 to be the "premium" brand. Im not convinced there is that much demand, after all buy a GT3 or GT4 car you can race pretty much anywhere, this GT2 class will only be certain championships. Good thing is im wrong about almost everything so its going to end up a massive success.

Anyone watch the new Porsche GT3 testing at Monza on Youtube? During those videos there was a unidentified turbo 911 "cup" car on track, i wonder if that was designed for this new GT2 class?

This new gt2 spec does sound like it sits in the Cup spec class. Porsche/Ferrari cup anyway, I know the Huracan is kinda a different league
Old 28 Jul 2018, 19:43 (Ref:3839538)   #4
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
SRO has brought back GT2.
http://www.dailysportscar.com/2018/0...ighlights.html
It is intended to be the GT4 concept of allowable development but on more powerful cars. I am interested to see who is building cars for this. And I wonder if the cars will be faster than gt3?

In a straight line, they probably will be. Less aero allowed, which will generally mean less drag, but more power. Question is how much will the cornering ability of the GT3s affect the overall lap times.

Honestly, this sounds exactly like what PWC needs right now to supplement GT3.
Old 1 Aug 2018, 17:29 (Ref:3840700)   #5
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
The name is stupidly confusing. Just call it GTSC or something, for GT Super Car. Or GTX. No number, definitely not GT2. That number system makes it seem like a step up from GT3, but they'll actually be slower Can't say this idea is good, at least in naming. Maybe there's some rich guys out there that want to run their expensive toys, but it doesn't make sense to name it GT2 if they're not going to be faster in lap time than GT3. I feel like this will fail as did the mid-late 2000's GT1 sadly.
Old 3 Aug 2018, 05:32 (Ref:3841002)   #6
Mountain Man
Racer

Mountain Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
The name is stupidly confusing. Just call it GTSC or something, for GT Super Car. Or GTX. No number, definitely not GT2. That number system makes it seem like a step up from GT3, but they'll actually be slower Can't say this idea is good, at least in naming. Maybe there's some rich guys out there that want to run their expensive toys, but it doesn't make sense to name it GT2 if they're not going to be faster in lap time than GT3. I feel like this will fail as did the mid-late 2000's GT1 sadly.
Sums up my view pretty well. I suspect this will just spread entries thinner and hurt other series
Old 1 Aug 2018, 19:45 (Ref:3840724)   #7
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I’ll reserve judgement on whether the idea is a good one, but the name is plain silly.
Old 1 Aug 2018, 21:04 (Ref:3840744)   #8
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
I’ll reserve judgement on whether the idea is a good one, but the name is plain silly.

Wait! The name is the correct on. Let it take off and wait one year or two.
Old 1 Aug 2018, 22:04 (Ref:3840762)   #9
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
GT Super?
Old 2 Aug 2018, 04:46 (Ref:3840794)   #10
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very good article by John Dagys that deal with many of the GT2 questions.

https://sportscar365.com/features/co...ture-with-gt2/
Old 2 Aug 2018, 10:20 (Ref:3840820)   #11
Koenigsegg
Veteran

Netherlands
Netherlands
Koenigsegg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafan37 View Post
Very good article by John Dagys that deal with many of the GT2 questions.

https://sportscar365.com/features/co...ture-with-gt2/
Why are the Aston Martin Vulcan and Porsche 911 GT2 RS targeted? Why would those manufactures build these cars to GT2-regulations? Which is supposed to be slower than GT3, where those manufactures use cars which are a step (s)lower compared to the targeted GT2 cars.
Old 2 Aug 2018, 10:36 (Ref:3840822)   #12
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koenigsegg View Post
Why are the Aston Martin Vulcan and Porsche 911 GT2 RS targeted? Why would those manufactures build these cars to GT2-regulations? Which is supposed to be slower than GT3, where those manufactures use cars which are a step (s)lower compared to the targeted GT2 cars.
Surely if the GT2 format is a slight step down from GT3 the right model would be a DBS Superleggera? The Vulcan makes no sense for GT2 as its more in line with GTE
Old 2 Aug 2018, 12:42 (Ref:3840843)   #13
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koenigsegg View Post
Well Porsche has already stated the GT2 RS is an interesting car for the GT2 class so that's straight from the horse's mouth so to speak. And it seems like GT2 is about power, power and a little more power. Thus the GT2 RS is a perfect fit for the class over the NA GT3 engine. The Vulcan seems out of place because it is more of an old-school (non-hybrid) hypercar than the rest. Outside of the GT2 RS and a Superleggera Lamborghini (I had forgotten the DBS Superleggera, thanks bcarr for that reminder), I'm not sure what else out there matches the class on the street. Do they think Ferrari is going to build up the new F12 into a racer? Corvette I think uses, or used, the ZR-1 as the GTE car model so making an additional car with the same moniker but now slower? And unless GT2 is guaranteed a spot in WC there's no way P&M are building one. Audi, MB, BMW, Nissan, Bentley are already using their halo car in GT3 (and a couple in GT4) so they're expected to build another car? Although I understand the desire to get the R8 and AMG out of GT4 to GT2, they are not like the rest of the field. And honestly a big(ger) power AMG coupe?? It's a baby Vette with that rumble, of course occasionally AMG seems to have stood for A(merican cars) M(ade by) G(ermans) with their more power than chassis 63 series cars.
Old 3 Aug 2018, 08:24 (Ref:3841028)   #14
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
In my view it should be GT5. Sure it has more power, but lower aero.

Id like to see a GT1 category return. Its a shame the ACO and SRO can't cooperate and unify rules for the sake of common sense. I see the gap between GT3 and GTE which is now bigger due to the GTE rule changes, but I just shake my head a little bit. I think ground could have been conceded from both sides to unify things, sadly it didnt happen.
Old 3 Aug 2018, 10:28 (Ref:3841051)   #15
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
In my view it should be GT5. Sure it has more power, but lower aero.

It's supposed to have the same aero as GT4. In my mind, that puts it above GT4 as the cars will be faster.
Old 3 Aug 2018, 10:31 (Ref:3841053)   #16
gregc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedford
gregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's obvious. Just call it GT3.5
Old 3 Aug 2018, 17:57 (Ref:3841169)   #17
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker
Veggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregc View Post
It's obvious. Just call it GT3.5

Forget about the nomenclature today. This is Ratel building the future and showing the middle finger to those idiots in light blue-shirt in Paris.
Old 3 Aug 2018, 19:46 (Ref:3841194)   #18
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juntos View Post
Forget about the nomenclature today. This is Ratel building the future and showing the middle finger to those idiots in light blue-shirt in Paris.
Now that's a future that I think can be met agreement with many here.
Old 4 Aug 2018, 02:34 (Ref:3841279)   #19
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juntos View Post

I’m ok with this. I’d rather Ratel be in charge of Gt future then the FIA. Sure he makes some mistakes and sometimes one wonders what the heck he is thinking but on the whole hes looking long term and has a genuine love for GT unlike those of the light blue shirts.

Still yet to be convinced about this new GT2 but we’ll have to wait and see what pans out over the next few years. I think the biggest hurdle will be getting manufacturers to build cars and gentlemen to buy them.
Old 4 Aug 2018, 03:47 (Ref:3841290)   #20
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
Still yet to be convinced about this new GT2 but we’ll have to wait and see what pans out over the next few years. I think the biggest hurdle will be getting manufacturers to build cars and gentlemen to buy them.

I do think Ratel is enough smart by now to not launch a new category without knowing he had the backup from the manufacturers in advance. Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards. He learnt his lessons in hard way.
Old 4 Aug 2018, 08:37 (Ref:3841312)   #21
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you ask me something about GT2, the first three things getting in my mind are a great 1999-2000 ps1 videogame and 430 GTC and 997 gt3 rsr..... "GT2" simply doesn't fit with the kind of cars involved in this new class.

GTS could be a better option, giving some vibes of GT1-like considering the power range of these cars. Anyway still need to figure out how (and if) manufacturers will support this class.

About GTE, this year corvette gt1 2008 le mans record was crashed by bruni's pole. No doubts that cars like ford gt, 488, corvette and AMR new vantage have performances and aesthetics of GT1 cars.
Old 4 Aug 2018, 11:15 (Ref:3841354)   #22
Badlands99
Racer

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Badlands99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What it will or won't be called is completely irrelevant at the moment ……….

Personally I rather like the idea of so called Supercars with a minimum of aero development being raced - there are certainly enough very rich gentlemen would be racers out there with deep enough pockets for this to work - just look at the Super Trofeo series in Europe and the US to see this.

I like Ratel ……… having read the book '25 years of SRO', whilst he has made the odd mistake here and there and I am sure you could question one or two of his decisions, he certainly doesn't mind taking a risk or two.

He lives, sleeps and breathes GT racing and doesn't often do things on a whim - GT2 (or whatever) is a cute move that not many would have seen coming. GT4, whilst a very good series with a lot of manufacturers taking part is not the place for detuned supercars (R8, Merc AMG GT etc) - leave them for GT3.

However it evolves, I can see this really working and, whilst I certainly would like to see GT3 keep going as I reckon at the moment it is the most spectacular series, this will appeal to a lot of people - different cars, different drivers and hopefully some close racing with all the vehicles looking and sounding different could be a bit special.
Old 8 Aug 2018, 12:13 (Ref:3842306)   #23
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
The SRO 'GT2' plan is surely much reminiscent of the very first BPR GT series, supercars for wealthy amateurs (paired with professionals?)

And like many posters have said Ratel wouldn't do something without knowing it has a good prospect of succeeding. Ratel is now the global expert on promoting GT racing so he will already have done some canvassing with manufacturers and entrants about this new sub category.
Old 14 Aug 2018, 15:51 (Ref:3843588)   #24
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lamborghini Eyeing Huracan Super Trofeo for GT2.
Ferrari is also reportedly evaluating the build of a GT2 car for 2019.

https://sportscar365.com/industry/la...rofeo-for-gt2/
Old 14 Aug 2018, 22:15 (Ref:3843690)   #25
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker

Everyone is. There is loads money to be made.