Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Closed Thread

Old 18 Sep 2008, 22:57 (Ref:2293463)   #1
Ed Peters
Racer

Ed Peters should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2009 Rumours & 'Stories'

Can't seem to find a 2009 BTCC Rumours thread.. So lets see what bites.

I see that BMW and Ford have been mentioned as looking at the BTCC in the British Motorsport press.
Funny really, No mention of them last year when they were looking, but then I suppose the BTCC needs all the positive press it can get at the moment!

Chances are that at least one will come on board in 2009.

Lets see what other 'stories' are around..

Last edited by Ed Peters; 18 Sep 2008 at 22:59.
Old 18 Sep 2008, 23:18 (Ref:2293471)   #2
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Reading Autosport Gow is implying that there's some good news on the manufacturer front forthcoming in a couple of weeks. Steve Neal seems to think a RWD make will be joining up, so unless Ford are going to enter the GT I'd put money on BMW. Gow also recognises that Plato is an asset to the BTCC and wants him to stay on if possible.

And the annual rumours of Kia entering have resurfaced again.. weren't TD close to a deal with them a couple of years ago?
Old 18 Sep 2008, 23:59 (Ref:2293483)   #3
Jon411
Racer

Guernsey
Jon411 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Team AFM (Rick Kerry and Nick Leason to return in BMW 120ds:

http://touringcartimes.com/news.php?id=2710

I read somewhere that Motorbase were looking to run 3 cars (cannot find link at the moment)

And the almost mythical CVR look like they may be out next year:

http://www.crash.net/motorsport/btcc...2009_btcc.html
Old 19 Sep 2008, 00:00 (Ref:2293484)   #4
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cos
Reading Autosport Gow is implying that there's some good news on the manufacturer front forthcoming in a couple of weeks.
You must have read a different Autosport to the one I read. Gow implied there was some good news coming in the next few months - not a couple of weeks.

It's nearly 7 months before the new season starts so lets not get too carried away with rumours. I don't expect we will hear anything for quite a long while about whos doing what next year.
Old 19 Sep 2008, 00:12 (Ref:2293489)   #5
Ed Peters
Racer

The Steve Neal comment was, I think was said to see how a certain manufacturer would respond to it!

At the time of the 'RWD manufacturer' comment, BMW had not seriously considered the BTCC and certainly NO decision had been made to join!

And now that SEAT have left the BTCC and cut back their WTCC commitment, who knows what BMW's decision might be!

Yes Plato is an asset to the BTCC, but finding a manufacturer to take him will be difficult.. Lets just suppose BMW join! Why would they take him? They have enough drivers with BMW experience!

If Ford take the same route they started last year and join. It will be difficult for him to fit in there!

Since SEAT announced their plans to withdrew from the BTCC, all the car and driver permitations have completly changed!

The Motorbase story about running three cars next year was in Motorsport News. Motorbase have shown that they are more than capable of running three cars, they have also been mentioned as a promising candidate for being the 'BMW Works Team'.
Old 19 Sep 2008, 00:33 (Ref:2293493)   #6
Jon411
Racer

Guernsey
Jon411 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Peters

The Motorbase story about running three cars next year was in Motorsport News. Motorbase have shown that they are more than capable of running three cars, they have also been mentioned as a promising candidate for being the 'BMW Works Team'.
Personally I would like to see WSR get it but any of the 3 main BMW teams I think would be a great team to run a BMW works entry - if this does happen, whoever decides which team gets the works status is in for a tough job

Last edited by Jon411; 19 Sep 2008 at 00:36.
Old 19 Sep 2008, 11:20 (Ref:2293665)   #7
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Where did the Ford rumour come from, is this a continuation of the Tom Chilton / Arena talk last year ??

What exactly is the setup with Mat Jacksons team being BMW Dealer Team UK? I've read stories that several teams reckon this is just a works team in disguise so why wouldn't a works squad end up being run out of that team ?
Old 19 Sep 2008, 12:47 (Ref:2293715)   #8
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm expecting Ben Winrow to get a BTCC drive next year (funding pending, of course).
Old 19 Sep 2008, 13:09 (Ref:2293731)   #9
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend
Where did the Ford rumour come from, is this a continuation of the Tom Chilton / Arena talk last year ??

What exactly is the setup with Mat Jacksons team being BMW Dealer Team UK? I've read stories that several teams reckon this is just a works team in disguise so why wouldn't a works squad end up being run out of that team ?
As SEAT leave the building, why would BMW want to field a works team in the BTCC at all ? Its questionable whether they'll even continue with works outfits in the WTCC.
Old 19 Sep 2008, 15:17 (Ref:2293772)   #10
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
I'd love to see a new Mondeo in the BTCC. Imagine racing against the Insignia, kinda like a domestic version of Ford v Holden. :P
Old 19 Sep 2008, 16:03 (Ref:2293784)   #11
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:

The car is prepared by works team Racing Bart Mampaey.
Old 19 Sep 2008, 17:00 (Ref:2293810)   #12
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
According Midweek Motorsport on RadioLeMans (at 49m00):
  • Priaulx and BMW UK (RBM) switch to BTCC?
  • Nissan interested but no cars
Old 19 Sep 2008, 18:03 (Ref:2293834)   #13
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Can you define prepared FIRE, do you mean the car goes back to RBM between races ?

davyboy, that may be true in the WTCC but I guess it rests on what BMW UK want to do. I doubt however they'd take on the BTCC if they didn't have the backup of Germany developing cars.
Old 19 Sep 2008, 18:09 (Ref:2293835)   #14
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Can you define prepared FIRE, do you mean the car goes back to RBM between races ?
That's what I conclude after listening to Midweek Motorsport radio show.
Old 19 Sep 2008, 18:36 (Ref:2293851)   #15
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Aslak Vind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anything about Alan Jones, guys?
Old 19 Sep 2008, 19:40 (Ref:2293880)   #16
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
davyboy, that may be true in the WTCC but I guess it rests on what BMW UK want to do. I doubt however they'd take on the BTCC if they didn't have the backup of Germany developing cars.
Very much so, and also the actual value of the enhanced marketing they would get by fielding a works effort in the BTCC over what's there right now. Given that SEAT have left, that would seem to be lesser in 2009 than in 2008. Factor in the economic environment and the chances seem very remote to me.

It would be brilliant to have them back though and even now I think the privateer BMWs add a huge amount to the grid. They're the only proper cars out there... sorry I'm an out and out rwd fan !
Old 19 Sep 2008, 20:05 (Ref:2293896)   #17
Icebaby
Veteran

Icebaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anythings possible for next year at this rate, another manufacturer is needed for sure or a change to the championship to compensate. If BMW do enter as a works team Turkington and Jackson are the only viable candidates to take on board, WSR are a crack outfit and do come with a big sponser in RAC.

I would still say Honda and BMW the likely teams to go "works" driven which will mean more paid drivers rather than paying which is better.

Plato, great for the championship but i would not say he's a great PR man behind a brand image on or off track.
Old 19 Sep 2008, 20:46 (Ref:2293917)   #18
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Adam Jones? Could stay with GR Asia.

As for any BMW factory team, assuming they don't bus in guys from the WTCC Matt Jackson has to be a probable due to BMW Dealer Team and Colin Turkington as he has done well.

Other possibles could include Tom Onslow-Cole - pay driver at VXR, very impressive this year and was good in a 320si in 2007.

Last edited by duke_toaster; 19 Sep 2008 at 20:49.
Old 19 Sep 2008, 20:54 (Ref:2293924)   #19
Icebaby
Veteran

Icebaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ahh Adam Jones, the star of the year again for me who has done wonders with his team, if GR Asia get hold of a TD Seat next year and can run it without trouble he will be more of a threat to the overall championship than just the independants.

Adam is a class act both on and off the track.
Old 19 Sep 2008, 21:33 (Ref:2293940)   #20
Ed Peters
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aslak Vind
Anything about Alan Jones, guys?
Adam Jones??

Adam could go anywhere!

Adam is a talent that almost any serious team would be proud to have. And there are a few teams that Adam could end up at.. Too early to tell!
Old 19 Sep 2008, 23:10 (Ref:2294005)   #21
Wilbo
Racer

Wilbo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE
According Midweek Motorsport on RadioLeMans (at 49m00):
  • Priaulx and BMW UK (RBM) switch to BTCC?

Now that would be a story worth talking about.

One would expect him to 'wipe the floor' in the BTCC. 4 Years at the the top level of ETCC/WTCC is serious experience and would certainly be something worth watching.

Perhaps Priaulx and Jackson run by Bart. Wowser, that would be the business!!!
Old 19 Sep 2008, 23:15 (Ref:2294007)   #22
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
Meant to say thanks to FIRE for posting that link, was a very interesting interview and the bit I found interesting is they said it's Bart Mampaey himself who is pushing to get 2 cars in the BTCC.
Old 20 Sep 2008, 09:30 (Ref:2294104)   #23
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting. I expect Priaulx to leave WTCC, since he has won it so many times, and is a bit fed-up with the policy over there. But I thought he would go to the States racing the ALMS in the new BMW GT2.
Otoh, he hasn't got the BTCC-title on his resume yet. Giovanardi-Priaulx could make for a great year.
*fantasy-mode on* And what if Thompson is not able to get a good WTCC-seat, and goes to drive for the (finally seriously factory-supported) Dynamics-team, and Plato and N&S find some money somewhere to run the Seat for the next year. *fantasy mode off*
Old 20 Sep 2008, 09:31 (Ref:2294106)   #24
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting. I expect Priaulx to leave WTCC, since he has won it so many times, and is a bit fed-up with the policy over there. But I thought he would go to the States racing the ALMS in the new BMW GT2.
Otoh, he hasn't got the BTCC-title on his resume yet. Giovanardi-Priaulx could make for a great year.
*fantasy-mode on* And what if Thompson is not able to get a good WTCC-seat, and goes to drive for the (finally seriously factory-supported) Dynamics-team, and Plato and N&S find some money somewhere to run the Seat for the next year. *fantasy mode off*
Old 20 Sep 2008, 20:26 (Ref:2294363)   #25
the sniper
Veteran

European Union
Birmingham
the sniper has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I hope Autosport is right about about Ford, I'd love to see a professional Mondeo S2000 project, especially if Prodrive were involved again. I'd prefer it to be in WTCC though .

I can see a BMW factory team becoming reality, especially seeing how many teams would be more then capable of running it i.e. WSR, RBM, Jacksons M.Sport and even Motorbase.

If both those happen, the only other thing I'd want is for VXR to stay with a 3 box car.
Closed Thread

Tags
2009, btcc, entries