Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 28 Sep 2004, 13:37 (Ref:1109346)   #226
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That's a nice road down to TP. It eventually gets to Coo where there is a Karting centre amongst other things.
Old 28 Sep 2004, 18:23 (Ref:1109633)   #227
Mark Barton
Rookie

Mark Barton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didn't get as far as Coo, but the road of the week for me was definitely the N66 from Huy to TP (although we came off at Haute Bodeux, obviously). It was my stint at the wheel in the old Daimler, the sun was just starting to go down, and there weren't too many tractors. Would be a great road in something quick, but it was just as satisfying steering the "old barge" down there. Lovely...
Old 28 Sep 2004, 19:20 (Ref:1109701)   #228
carrera
Veteran

England
Gatwick
carrera should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stayed in Spa at a small hotel just a couple of hundred yards from the town centre. Reasonable rates, good breakfast and close to the bars and restaurants. Would certainly go there again.
Old 28 Sep 2004, 19:24 (Ref:1109705)   #229
carrera
Veteran

England
Gatwick
carrera should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Met some guys on the ferry home who had been at Spa for a karting event. Now there's a challenge for next year - compete at both events.

Last edited by carrera; 28 Sep 2004 at 19:30.
Old 29 Sep 2004, 05:26 (Ref:1110006)   #230
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Stayed in the Modernne,Francochamps.About to change owners which is a good idea.The new man seems to be ideal and understands what happens at the track.I note there are no opinions about the pre-war race which although it had few starters provided a decent few laps between the two most expensive cars at the meeting and a green bus.
Old 29 Sep 2004, 05:47 (Ref:1110015)   #231
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
As a thought does anyone know where I can get a decent photo of the start of the 6 Hours? Need to see that Merlyn lead through Eau Rouge.
Old 29 Sep 2004, 05:58 (Ref:1110018)   #232
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
John,

I used to stay at the Moderne but it got too expensive and the ambience changed. We now stay somewhere secret

We watched some of the pre war race from our paddock at the bottom of Eau Rouge and to be frank it seemed a little pedestrian. I'm sure the drivers enjoyed it. That was my opinion - sorry.

However it would be nice to see them return because I like the cars.

As to the most expensive cars? I see little relevance in that, but I suspect a GT40 would come close.
Old 29 Sep 2004, 06:46 (Ref:1110036)   #233
Kempi
Veteran

Germany
Düsseldorf, Germany
Kempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The 1964 250 GTO should have been right up there with the most expensives, considering there is so few of them and a regular 250 GTO once went for around 15 Million Euros... (at that time, and I believe still, the most money ever paid for a car).
Old 29 Sep 2004, 06:58 (Ref:1110045)   #234
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
john re photo's you should get the photographers contacting you. I am sufficiently vain that I give my details to any photographer who asks so when they contact me!! I will ask them if they took any of the start. I would be very surprised if there arent somewhere. Do you know Eric Sawyer he is normally at Spa taking smudges, I will email him for you today...
Old 29 Sep 2004, 07:47 (Ref:1110071)   #235
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Thanks for the help.Agree that not enough cars in pre war field but first three were lapping in 3min 26sec which would make them competive with some of the 60's things,The point about the comparative values was the speed of the green bus compared with the 3000000Euro Monzas.By the way G.T.40's are about 1300000Euros and real GTO's 12000000Euros.The comparative costs are relevant as it is<was> good to see Jordon beat Ferrari,the Crossle and Merlyn in front of the Ford etc,etc.
Old 29 Sep 2004, 11:01 (Ref:1110182)   #236
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Malmedy, best place to stay, clean cheap hotel inc brekky and a multitude of bars and excellent restaurants withing staggering distance!
Old 29 Sep 2004, 11:15 (Ref:1110193)   #237
nathcoo
Rookie

nathcoo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For pictures you can try :
http://www.RACINGPINCUS.COM and contact via email
I know he was there but normaly for the first lap always at the "Combes "
And or the official photograph of the circuit :
http://www.spa-francorchamps.be/gfx/...to/index_2.htm

regards

Regards
Old 29 Sep 2004, 16:29 (Ref:1110528)   #238
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
There is a fantastic shot of the Fami Group 2 Capri RS 2.9 (1972) in there. One of the very few genuine Ex-Works cars at the meeting.
Also a good shot of the late Tim Busby BMW 3.0CSL now owned by Nick Whale. Its the replica UFO Jeans car.