Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 11 Mar 2014, 16:03 (Ref:3377434)   #351
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I thought you said you were a Lazenby fan there for a moment.
Old 11 Mar 2014, 16:56 (Ref:3377445)   #352
aki13
Racer

aki13 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by henners88 View Post
I'm a bit of a lazy fan in comparison and don't need some of the geeky stuff to enjoy the race.
Hello old chap.

I always find myself looking at the stats and graphics and end up missing half the race.
Old 11 Mar 2014, 17:35 (Ref:3377459)   #353
henners88
Veteran

Wales
henners88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
Haha, well I'm sure there is at least one out there somewhere. Whether or not they would be willing to admit it is another matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aki13 View Post
Hello old chap.

I always find myself looking at the stats and graphics and end up missing half the race.
Good to see you old bean
My wife finds it annoying enough as it is that I dare watch F1 so I wouldn't want to risk a divorce! The stick I get for discussing it with strangers on the internet usually gets me a ribbing in front of our friends.
Old 11 Mar 2014, 17:56 (Ref:3377476)   #354
aki13
Racer

Do we know if BBC are clinging onto F1 in 2015. It seems as though F1 generally is going to collapse in the UK. If this happens.
Old 11 Mar 2014, 20:22 (Ref:3377524)   #355
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Yeah what the hell was all that about?
Brundle and Impey were trying to follow up on their joke about him with something serious about his talent etc but got shouted down by the 2 sets of expensive teeth and the Joe Soap brigade!!

"Wur not really a legend then hu hu' Oh no, not on your levels Ponsonby and Pinky!

Brundle was curious. He's often said in the past that he admired Montoya and felt he would be missed yet the other day he laid into him. He is right though, he can get a tad surly!!
I suppose the trouble is the title of the programme. F1 Legends. To Stinkham and the dull, blonde mannequin this means five times F1 champions. Although interestingly they had no objection to Eddie Irvine and John Watson editions of the programme, perhaps because they may have the problem of bumping into them one day.

But the F1 Legends programmes come alive when they are talking to people like Berger and JPM. They aren't champions, but are definitely legends of the sport. I am far happier hearing their story than Mansell/Stewart etc for the millionth time.
Old 12 Mar 2014, 10:12 (Ref:3377725)   #356
henners88
Veteran

Wales
henners88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Do we know if BBC are clinging onto F1 in 2015. It seems as though F1 generally is going to collapse in the UK. If this happens.
I think they will see out their current contract until 2018, but think it is highly likely it will be dropped after that. I can't see the sport allowing it to be solely on Sky though as they just can't attract enough viewers. Qualifying for the Australian GP is apparently being shown on Sky One so its clear the lack of viewers is a concern. Whether that is a concern for Sky themselves or Bernie, we might never know
Old 12 Mar 2014, 12:46 (Ref:3377776)   #357
aki13
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by henners88 View Post
I think they will see out their current contract until 2018, but think it is highly likely it will be dropped after that. I can't see the sport allowing it to be solely on Sky though as they just can't attract enough viewers. Qualifying for the Australian GP is apparently being shown on Sky One so its clear the lack of viewers is a concern. Whether that is a concern for Sky themselves or Bernie, we might never know
As I said elsewhere....on another forum..... opps

Anyway I think Bernie clearly doesn't care about fans as we know.

You have to question though whether Bernie actually cares about F1, because its clearly causing the worst dip in F1 following in the UK since either ITV days or even pre 78 when only some races were shown live.
Old 12 Mar 2014, 13:51 (Ref:3377812)   #358
csirl
Subscriber
Racer

csirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Setanta are showing all the races live.
Old 12 Mar 2014, 20:06 (Ref:3377936)   #359
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I hope they are, having sport soley broadcast by Sky etc. isn't a good thing from a fan's point of view or for the fan base.
Old 12 Mar 2014, 20:37 (Ref:3377943)   #360
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think the football world would disagree with that.
Old 12 Mar 2014, 20:43 (Ref:3377945)   #361
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
I like him, although that is based in his rugby role not so much his F1 role.
Old 12 Mar 2014, 20:44 (Ref:3377947)   #362
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
I think the football world would disagree with that.
Football, soccer, is the exception then again if you want to watch a Premier League match on Sky and don't have Sky, you can go to your local pub and watch it there, you can't always do that with other sports.
Old 12 Mar 2014, 20:49 (Ref:3377948)   #363
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I suspect the Rugby world likes sky, and now subscription TV more generally, though.
Before sky, you couldn't get to see much Union on the telly. Now there is the opportunity to get what you want, because of sky. Huge variety too. This is a good thing.
F1, unlike club rugby, is in a position where it is viable to put it on a free to air terrestrial channel. That is because of Bernie and the work he did promoting the sport. Was it too successful though...
Old 12 Mar 2014, 20:53 (Ref:3377951)   #364
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I suspect the Rugby world likes sky, and now subscription TV more generally, though.
Before sky, you couldn't get to see much Union on the telly. Now there is the opportunity to get what you want, because of sky. Huge variety too. This is a good thing.
F1, unlike club rugby, is in a position where it is viable to put it on a free to air terrestrial channel. That is because of Bernie and the work he did promoting the sport. Was it too successful though...
I don't have Sky, so if I want to watch Union on TV, I have to watch highlights on ITV4 and I'm sure I'm not the only Union fan without Sky.
Old 12 Mar 2014, 20:57 (Ref:3377953)   #365
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
True. I suspect that there wouldn't even be highlights on free telly if the main broadcaster wasn't there for every game. Knock on benefits.

The Premiership is now on BT Sport, BTW. Are you a BT customer as it'll be free if you are. Two or three games a weekend.
Old 12 Mar 2014, 21:03 (Ref:3377956)   #366
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
True. I suspect that there wouldn't even be highlights on free telly if the main broadcaster wasn't there for every game. Knock on benefits.

The Premiership is now on BT Sport, BTW. Are you a BT customer as it'll be free if you are. Two or three games a weekend.
Possibly a knock on benefit, then again ITV4 is a commercial channel and advertising revenue will play some part.

No I don't. I work in IT and have found BT nothing but problematic.
Old 12 Mar 2014, 21:07 (Ref:3377958)   #367
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Yes, they may do it anyway, but it is more cost effective. Who presents the ITV4 show, is it still the double glazing salesman? He does BT now, but may do both?

I don't work in IT and have the same opinion.
Old 12 Mar 2014, 21:15 (Ref:3377964)   #368
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
BT will only be free for a year at the time of sub. Or so far has been

After that you are bound to have to start paying for it. I hope for sports fans sake you can have a footie channel and anotehr sport channel that may be cheaper.

They didnt pay over a billion for footie to give it away free on package subscription deals I am afraid.
Old 12 Mar 2014, 22:11 (Ref:3377993)   #369
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
I'm sure. Someone has to pay to get the Rugby on the telly. Might as well be those who watch it.
Still I am with BT generally because of this. I guess it has worked.
Old 12 Mar 2014, 22:23 (Ref:3378000)   #370
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I don't have Sky, so if I want to watch Union on TV, I have to watch highlights on ITV4 and I'm sure I'm not the only Union fan without Sky.
The question BJ, how often do you bother watching the highlights?
Old 12 Mar 2014, 23:00 (Ref:3378015)   #371
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
BT will only be free for a year at the time of sub. Or so far has been

After that you are bound to have to start paying for it. I hope for sports fans sake you can have a footie channel and anotehr sport channel that may be cheaper.

They didnt pay over a billion for footie to give it away free on package subscription deals I am afraid.
It will inevitably go up, they have paid an incredible amount of money. Once they start showing Champions League football the subs will go up.

But for now it is good value, and may continue to be. £15 for non BT customers is not extortionate. If you are new to Sky and want to watch F1 you have to fork out for the sports package which is about £30-£40, and their football coverage is diminished this season thanks to BT. So if F1 and football are your two sports, then you are screwed!
Old 12 Mar 2014, 23:51 (Ref:3378031)   #372
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Just seen the Montoya bit.

The silly bimbo is the worst, as she says "from legends of the sport to legendary races" and gesticulates speech marks as she says "legends" of the sport.

And what has been her contribution other than run around like a squeally little kid after drivers?
Old 12 Mar 2014, 23:58 (Ref:3378034)   #373
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Yes, they may do it anyway, but it is more cost effective. Who presents the ITV4 show, is it still the double glazing salesman? He does BT now, but may do both?

I don't work in IT and have the same opinion.
You lost me there on the double glazing salesman. I sometimes get lost with English vernacular.
Old 13 Mar 2014, 00:13 (Ref:3378036)   #374
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
The question BJ, how often do you bother watching the highlights?
When I can but I'd prefer to see a live game.
Old 13 Mar 2014, 08:37 (Ref:3378105)   #375
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The difference between Formula One and other sports mentioned [i.e. soccer, rugby etc...] is that under the current model the F1 teams need as big an audience as possible in order to secure the millions they get in advertising revenue from their sponsors. If that exposure is reduced [by migrating to pay per view], sponsorship revenue will be reduced too. The teams will need the gap plugged in some way - through increased PPV charges, driver funding or [perish the thought (!)] lower budgets.

Tags
pinks