Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Club Level Single Seaters

Old 3 Feb 2006, 21:54 (Ref:1515116)   #1
chewy pappas
Rookie

chewy pappas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
dataloggers and bodywork painting

Hi,Sorry if these are "joe junior" questions,but I'm new to this game and need all the help I can get.Ive just bought an RF91 and am wondering firstly,what would I expect to pay to have the car repainted,single colour,nothing to fancy.Secondly I can get a secondhand AIM datalogger from another car fitted which I am intending to have done.Unfortunately I dont know the exact model yet.Are they any good? plus there is no software with it,can this be sourced on its own? I also need a lead to connect the car to the PC,is this just a USB cable? thanks
Old 4 Feb 2006, 06:37 (Ref:1515266)   #2
kmsport
Veteran

Australia
SA
kmsport has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The AIMS are good...but I dont know where to get one
Old 4 Feb 2006, 10:15 (Ref:1515317)   #3
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
AIM are not bad, I can look it up at the office on Monday about the update / software.
Old 6 Feb 2006, 10:54 (Ref:1516477)   #4
Matt22
Rookie

Matt22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep they are good and do use a USB lead. I'm pretty sure you can download the software for free. I've used www.kkckartshop.com to supply extra bits.

By the way, where are you intending to race?

Matt
Old 6 Feb 2006, 13:08 (Ref:1516534)   #5
chewy pappas
Rookie

Thanks Matt.I will be out at Kirkistown.I have only ever tested and done a couple of sprints there,and will initially do a few more of those prior to racing.I just havent had enough time in the car or experience of the circuit to race yet.I dont think there is a class for someone as slow as me! Hopefully I'll improve enough to justify having a race sometime later in the year.And yourself....?
Old 6 Feb 2006, 18:26 (Ref:1516708)   #6
mattray
Veteran

mattray has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
seriously, the best way to get faster is to race! if you wait until you are fast enough it will take 10 times longer! just get on the track with other people and you will find your level suprisingly fast! The faster people will find a way past, thats their problem!

Matt
Old 6 Feb 2006, 19:00 (Ref:1516751)   #7
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think it is fair to say that you can get dragged on by other people in a race. So once you are quick enough not to be a mobile chicane get out there on the grid and have a go.
Old 7 Feb 2006, 13:42 (Ref:1517274)   #8
heel'n'toe-no
Veteran

United Kingdom
Albrighton, Shropshire
heel'n'toe-no has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy pappas
Thanks Matt.I will be out at Kirkistown.I have only ever tested and done a couple of sprints there,and will initially do a few more of those prior to racing.I just havent had enough time in the car or experience of the circuit to race yet.I dont think there is a class for someone as slow as me! Hopefully I'll improve enough to justify having a race sometime later in the year.And yourself....?
I raced at Kirkistown for the last two years with Mike Edgar Racing. I think my seat in the team was still available last time I spoke with Mike about it. He's a great mentor and will soon get you up to speed. In my first season I was NEVER lapped or finished last. Mike is also a teacher at the race school at Kirkistown and knows the circuit like the back of his hand. His rates are good too. You should give him a call and get a jump start to your racing career.....Good luck, it's not an easy championship.
Old 13 Feb 2006, 08:53 (Ref:1521589)   #9
youngoldy
Racer

United Kingdom
Somewhereorotherville
youngoldy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
We use Pi. I know some people have had problems with it, but so have we, but when it works, like all the other systems, its good. Not used any other software, but I think Pi is the easiest to use. It tells you anything you need to know, predicted fastest lap, where your slower and quicker, unfortunately, it doesn't tell you where you'r going to finish in the race.

I've not seen the prices of any other systems such as AIM and Astratech (if thats how you'd spell it), but Pi seems abit on the pricy side, but alot of the people looking for race cars want some sort of data logging on it, and if you have a fully working system, and the car has some good background, such as championship runner up, the price of the car could be knocked up a couple of K.

Think about waht you want to know from the logger, and get the oner that matches the requirements.
Old 16 Feb 2006, 13:36 (Ref:1524309)   #10
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
CP, try here for an update of the AIM datalogger.
Old 14 Mar 2006, 13:23 (Ref:1547972)   #11
Dataspares
Rookie

Dataspares should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To clear up some poor information about Aim loggers ...........

Software is free and available of the manufacturers web site www.aim-sportline.com. In my experience the users view of software being good or bad largely depends on how long they have been using it. However we have had some die hard Pi users say that Race Studio 2 is better than Pi so draw your own conclusions.

The early ( around 2000, 2001 ) loggers used Race Studio 1 software and serial connection to the PC. Since then USB has been used.

Formula Renault and Clio have been using Aim EV3 logger since 2000. The Seat Cupras use the MXL dash from 2004. All Aim car products use the same Race Studio 2 software. Currently many Mychron 3 XG logs are going onto Formula Fords and hillclimb cars.

The UK car and bike distrubutor is Dataspares Acquisition Ltd. For karts go to KKC Karting.

Apologies for looking like an advert, but not all the information here was correct.

www.dataspares.com
www.aim-sportline.com
www.kkckartshop.com/
Old 15 Mar 2006, 21:34 (Ref:1549841)   #12
chewy pappas
Rookie

thanks for the advice.Rightly or wrongly I went for a Pi system,which I am trying tomorrow for the first time.
Old 16 Mar 2006, 12:24 (Ref:1550197)   #13
Triple J Motorsport
Veteran

England
Burgess Hill W Sussex
Triple J Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
thanks for the advice.Rightly or wrongly I went for a Pi system,which I am trying tomorrow for the first time.
I have always used a Pi system 2 which I find perfect

3rd 2009 & 2012 FFZetec festival final
Old 16 Mar 2006, 18:08 (Ref:1550407)   #14
heel'n'toe-no
Veteran

United Kingdom
Albrighton, Shropshire
Quote:
Well then Ronan, how did you get on?

If you don't want to publish it to the world - just PM me. I hope it went well, and was Mr. Morrow out with you?
Old 4 Apr 2006, 22:02 (Ref:1570937)   #15
chewy pappas
Rookie

If anyone is interested or is thinking of buying one, I can honestly say the Pi system (compact logger with x-sport dash) is absolutely brilliant.It has taken a while to get it working 100% but now that it is,it provides so much useful information,and both the dash and the software are very straightforward to use,once you get used to it.There have been plenty of "niggles" which has required a fair number of phone calls to Pi to sort out,but it has to be said,the after sales support from the guys at Pi has been first class.
Old 5 Apr 2006, 09:08 (Ref:1571206)   #16
heel'n'toe-no
Veteran

United Kingdom
Albrighton, Shropshire
Quote:
but it has to be said,the after sales support from the guys at Pi has been first class.
Told ya.

And before I get any PM's on this - I've sold mine now.
Old 10 Apr 2006, 20:12 (Ref:1577956)   #17
youngoldy
Racer

United Kingdom
Somewhereorotherville
youngoldy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I'm surprised mr 'D Hart' hasn't been on here going on about his AIM that he's had for 5 years and hasn't gone wrong once (quite I'm sure)

Not that I'm jealous dave

(wow, you can get font in beige so you slightly less easy seeing people can't read what I put on very well )