Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 29 May 2017, 13:43 (Ref:3737126)   #326
Quartermiler
Rookie

England
Quartermiler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tight race!

Just the tonic after a less than enthralling Monaco GP.

Well done to Takuma. Not sure what honours Japan can give him, but bringing Japanese manufacturers a long awaited win by a Japanese driver in a world class race for the first time has to be worth the very highest of them.
Old 29 May 2017, 13:52 (Ref:3737128)   #327
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
I'll be the heretic: I've never given Indy the weight everyone else does. Its just another unique oval to me. Dlesnt make sense to me that they need a month to practice there and stretch it out but don't for a place like say, Pocono.

But..... I watch it every year and enjoy it. This year was very entertaining and exciting.

Poor alonso, or should we say poor mclaren, who tried to keep him happy and the same Honda crap screws them over. I mentioned it in the barber thread. I thought it must have been awkward for Alonso to be there at barber and see one of his teammates be the only car to not take the start (marco), and see Hunter reay have troubles early. If all the teams he could partner with, andretti seems to have slightly more attrition than the rest.

What a day for former and current f1 guys! Rossi ran up front most of the race, Chilton had a shot late and ran up front, of course Alonso looked great and sato with an enjoyable win. Made me wonder if they had a little extra motivation to remind people that Alonso wasn't the only f1 guy out there...

I'll second the sentiment that if you're going to complain about that race, then racing just isn't your thing anymore.

I wish McLaren would run alonsos car in Detroit next week too, since f1 is off. Maybe Alonso would want to do more Indy races to keep building his resume to all time great status.
Old 29 May 2017, 14:07 (Ref:3737134)   #328
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
It's not a month of practice. It's a month composed of the road course race, a few days of practice within the rest of the month before the big race itself.
Old 29 May 2017, 14:25 (Ref:3737139)   #329
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
It's not a month of practice. It's a month composed of the road course race, a few days of practice within the rest of the month before the big race itself.
It's always been "the month of May". The road course race is only a few years old.
Old 29 May 2017, 14:39 (Ref:3737144)   #330
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWill2073 View Post
It's always been "the month of May". The road course race is only a few years old.
It's the "month of may" and your remark that all they do then is practice during that month is wrong.
Old 29 May 2017, 14:40 (Ref:3737147)   #331
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Could ask why Le Mans requires a week of practice and a dedicated test day too. Because that's what the big events have - big build ups. Even if the answer is just "It's tradition!" then I'm fine with that. Why does Daytona need the roar? Why does the Daytona 500 get a couple of weeks of stuff and Talladega gets nothing? Tradition. And that's a good enough answer tbh.
Old 29 May 2017, 14:47 (Ref:3737149)   #332
RWill2073
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Could ask why Le Mans requires a week of practice and a dedicated test day too. Because that's what the big events have - big build ups. Even if the answer is just "It's tradition!" then I'm fine with that. Why does Daytona need the roar? Why does the Daytona 500 get a couple of weeks of stuff and Talladega gets nothing? Tradition. And that's a good enough answer tbh.
I get that. It's mostly my bias against ovals. But, both the 24 and 500 at Daytona begin the year so extra time to sort things out makes sense. Le mans being a massive road course makes more sense to me as well. And I understand the big event thing. But a month long gap in the schedule prior to the Indy gp is a bit much. Like I said, it's mostly my bias against ovals.
Old 29 May 2017, 15:36 (Ref:3737159)   #333
Mr Pink
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Mr Pink should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
Almost every person watching the Indy 500 for the first time said they loved it. I watched it with a mate who's a casual F1 fan, and he was blown away. Seems it's only the seasoned fans who immediately want to jump in and say how much better the old days were. Can't you just wait until the excitement's died down a bit before doing that?

Happens on every spectator banking, grandstand, corner of the internet and social media platform in every single discipline of the sport. A great race or event is followed by fans saying they didn't enjoy it because it wasn't like how it was 20, 30, 40 years ago.

In the past two to three years, I've seen some truly spectacular motorsport moments both live and on screen. Last year's Indy and Le Mans 24 hours between them were two all-time jaw-dropping racing moments, there was a literal photo finish at the Daytona 24 hours last year, there are two drivers in different machines fighting for the world Championship in F1, Bernie's gone, drivers like Hulkenberg and Alonso are re-starting the magic of drivers switching disciplines - I could go on.

Sometimes wish the moaners would clear off and watch historic racing instead. Although, to be fair, I've heard it's not as good as it used to be...
It's been a while since I watched open wheel oval racing, I managed to catch the last 50 laps and I had the same reaction as your friend. Maybe it isn't what it used to be, and I do think there are things to improve, but the bottom line is that the racing was spectacular to me!

Takuma is an old favorite of mine since the Super Aguri days so I'm very happy that he got the win, he did a stellar job both with passing and defending. Also Alonso deserves every bit of respect for his performance, I hope he'll be back.

(A bit off topic but on drivers switching disciplines, I would really like to see Felix Rosenqvist at Indy. There's a guy who just likes driving, no matter what he's in.)
Old 29 May 2017, 16:24 (Ref:3737167)   #334
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Congratulations to Taku-sensei!

Helio fought hard but couldnt overtake Taku. Still a hero.

I'm very happy that Max Chilton and Ed Jones didn't win.

It was intense and a great birthday journey.
Old 29 May 2017, 16:37 (Ref:3737170)   #335
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I can't remember the last time I watched the 500. Maybe a decade or more ago? I wasn't able to watch all of it live due to other commitments. I caught around laps 150-170 live, then later on fast forwarded through the first 150 and then watched 170 and beyond. I thought it was a good race and exciting. Clearly a different thing than classic road racing, but still very exciting and entertaining.

I will continue to focus on F1 and sports/prototype racing, but will definitely try to squeeze in some Indycar and the 500. I hope Alonso returns next year.

Richard
Old 29 May 2017, 17:08 (Ref:3737183)   #336
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
In the Zanardi era, or perhaps that should be Ganassi era and extend it a year or two before and after, I used to watch most Indycar races live - Eurosport allowing!

I've followed and watched a lot of the Indy 500s since, but never worried if I couldn't. However Alonso got me enthused again. I'm not embarrassed to admit that and don't worry that it might make me appear that I'm not a real fan, or even a know nothing. I enjoyed it so I win
Old 29 May 2017, 17:14 (Ref:3737186)   #337
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
In the Zanardi era, or perhaps that should be Ganassi era and extend it a year or two before and after, I used to watch most Indycar races live - Eurosport allowing!

I've followed and watched a lot of the Indy 500s since, but never worried if I couldn't. However Alonso got me enthused again. I'm not embarrassed to admit that and don't worry that it might make me appear that I'm not a real fan, or even a know nothing. I enjoyed it so I win
Similar story here. I watched through the 90s and early 00s. It got a bit dull in the mid 00s. The reunion was fun and got me watching again. The lack of exciting drivers and a hideous car turned me off from the DW12 onwards.

Looking forward to a new car next year. Let's give them nice sounding exhausts too. Lets make IndyCar an attractive series to drivers again. It wasn't that things were better in the old days, I just think it lost its sparkle a little, but last weekend brought it back a bit.
Old 30 May 2017, 14:24 (Ref:3737391)   #338
ebdon
Rookie

ebdon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
HI All, just to follow the last comments, this race really gave me a good buzz like the Daytona 500 in the late 90's, the "jelly mould" indy cars from a few years ago were a turn off, but the indy 500 is all about the racing isn't it? although I do miss the lola march eagle Reynard and all the engine combo's from years past. the big crash was 2 bullets dodged I reckon, looking at how close howard's helmet was to dixon's undertray.
Attached Thumbnails
scott dixon crash indy 2017.JPG  
Old 30 May 2017, 15:25 (Ref:3737406)   #339
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post
I am 60 years old, and still get a lump in my throat, although I do miss Mr. Nabors.
A lump or.....???

Ms. Nabors....

'But, agreed....

Last edited by jimclark; 30 May 2017 at 15:51.

jimclark
Old 30 May 2017, 15:43 (Ref:3737412)   #340
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Quote:
Similar story here. I watched through the 90s and early 00s. It got a bit dull in the mid 00s.
For me it was Mansells move that made me watch Indycars. Not that I was a big Mansell fan, but the fact he moved over made broadcasts available and offered the possibility to watch.

At the time, we had a satellite dish (I still do) and even though the race wasn't broadcasted live anywhere, there was always a feed somewhere. Even if it was only used as means to get the images to somewhere in Europe where it could be used to make a very brief summary.
Those streams were always unencrypted, just hidden on an unused transponder or something.

My father took great pleasure in finding things broadcaster tried to hide, I took great pleasure in actually watching the thing

Great memories
Old 30 May 2017, 15:54 (Ref:3737417)   #341
jimclark
Veteran

United States
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Sheesh...all of 25 years ago.

You guys missed the real good times.

jimclark
Old 30 May 2017, 16:07 (Ref:3737419)   #342
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimclark View Post
Sheesh...all of 25 years ago.

You guys missed the real good times.
I apologise for not being born then, so I'll just have to try my best to enjoy the current era, which is the worst ever.
Old 30 May 2017, 16:20 (Ref:3737423)   #343
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Quote:
I apologise for not being born then, so I'll just have to try my best to enjoy the current era, which is the worst ever.
Tee-hee. Don't be ashamed....it's not your fault.

jimclark
Old 30 May 2017, 17:16 (Ref:3737435)   #344
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Nostalgia is just heroin for old people. Every generation seems to say everything was better in the old days about everything. They'd have you believe the world is in an endless downward spiral and nothing new could ever be better. In reality they were just younger and getting laid more.

My granddad used to say things were better when he was a kid. He'd ignore that if he turned on the lights, the Germans would bomb his house. But to him it was better because it happened when he was younger.
Old 30 May 2017, 19:51 (Ref:3737477)   #345
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
?.. In reality they were just younger and getting laid more.
I suspect not in some cases. Maybe it would have helped if they had got paid more.
Old 30 May 2017, 20:22 (Ref:3737486)   #346
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Nostalgia is just heroin for old people. Every generation seems to say everything was better in the old days about everything. They'd have you believe the world is in an endless downward spiral and nothing new could ever be better. In reality they were just younger and getting laid more.

My granddad used to say things were better when he was a kid. He'd ignore that if he turned on the lights, the Germans would bomb his house. But to him it was better because it happened when he was younger.
Har dee har har.

'Posted this in the "Penske" thread, but if you're satisfied with one chassis and two engines for a choice and just barely filling the field, 'God bless....
Yes I prefer what we had 50 years ago.... :

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimclark View Post
Oooohhhh...let's say '68:

Fin St Driver # Owner Car Laps Money Status Laps Led
1 3 Bobby Unser 3 Robert Wilke Eagle 68/Offenhauser TC 200 177,523 running 127

2 10 Dan Gurney 48 Oscar Olson Eagle 68/Gurney Weslake Ford 200 64,678 running 0

3 17 Mel Kenyon 15 Fred Gerhardt Gerhardt 67/Offenhauser TC 200 44,843 running 0

4 20 Denis Hulme 42 Oscar Olson Eagle 68/Ford 200 26,508 running 0

5 5 Lloyd Ruby 25 Gene White Mongoose 68/Offenhauser TC 200 30,248 running 42

6 26 Ronnie Duman 59 Hayhoe Racing Enterprises Hayhoe 68/Offenhauser TC 199 19,088 running 0

7 23 Billy Vukovich 98 J.C. Agajanian Shrike 66/Offenhauser TC 198 17,903 running 0

8 27 Mike Mosley 90 Robert Wilke Watson/Offenhauser TC 197 16,819 running 0

9 31 Sam Sessions 94 Tassi Vatis Finley 68/Offenhauser TC 197 15,104 running 0

10 25 Bobby Grim 6 Gene White Mongoose 67/Offenhauser TC 196 15,053 running 0

11 24 Bob Veith 16 Don Gerhardt Gerhardt/Offenhauser TC 196 14,393 running 0

12 1 Joe Leonard 60 STP Lotus 56 4WD 1/Turbine 191 37,403 fuel shaft 31

13 11 Art Pollard 20 STP Lotus 56 4WD 4/Turbine 188 1,833 fuel shaft 0

14 13 Jim McElreath 82 Jim Greer Coyote 66 1/Ford 179 12,793 stalled 0

15 28 Carl Williams 84 A.J. Foyt Coyote 67 2/Ford TC 163 13,138 accident 0

16 18 Bud Tinglestad 10 Federal Automotive Associates Gerhardt 67/Offenhauser TC 158 12,553 oil pressure 0

17 12 Wally Dallenbach 54 Tassi Vatis Finley 68/Offenhauser TC 146 11,413 engine 0

18 21 Johnny Rutherford 18 Alan Green Eagle 202/Ford 125 11,468 accident 0

19 2 Graham Hill 70 STP Lotus 56 4WD 3/Turbine 110 13,693 accident 0

20 8 A.J. Foyt 1 A.J. Foyt Coyote 68 3/Ford 86 11,013 rear end 0

21 19 Ronnie Bucknum 45 Weinberger & Wilseck Eagle 206/Ford 76 10,853 fuel leak 0

22 14 Jim Malloy 27 Jim Robbins Vollstedt 66/Ford TC 64 10,013 rear end 0

23 15 Jerry Grant 78 Friedkin Enterprises Eagle 68/Ford 50 9,643 oil leak 0

24 22 Gary Bettenhausen 11 Don Gerhardt Gerhardt 68/Offenhauser TC 43 9,743 hit debris 0

25 32 Arnold Knepper 21 Rolla Vollstedt Vollstedt 67/Offenhauser TC 42 9,463 hit debris 0

26 6 Al Unser 24 Retzloff Racing Team Lola T150 4WD SL-150-01/Ford TC 40 10,003 accident 0

27 9 Gordon Johncock 4 Johncock Race Team Gerhardt 68/Offenhauser TC 37 9,363 rear end 0

28 33 Mario Andretti
Larry Dickson 64 Andretti Racing Enterprises Hawk II/Ford 24 9,043
piston 0

29 7 Roger McCluskey 8 Lindsey Hopkins Eagle 401/Offenhauser TC 16 9,343 oil filter 0

30 30 Jim Hurtubise 56 Jim Hurtubise 1967 Mallard 1/Offenhauser TC 9 9,213 piston 0

31 29 George Snider 29 Vel's Ford Sales Mongoose 67/Ford 9 9,353 oil leak 0

32 16 Jochen Rindt 35 Jack Brabham Brabham BT25 1/Repco 5 9,713 piston 0

33 4 Mario Andretti 2 Andretti Racing Enterprises Hawk III/Ford TC 2 9,843 piston 0

34 34 Bruce Walkup 62 Hayhoe Hayhoe 68/Offenhauser TC 0 0 did not qualify 0

35 35 Bob Harkey 88 Ken Brenn Gerhardt/Ford 0 0 did not qualify 0

36 36 Larry Dickson 36 Jack Adams Lola T92/Ford 0 0 did not qualify 0

37 37 George Follmer 41 George R. Bryant Gilbert 68 2/Ford 0 0 did not qualify 0

38 38 Sonny Ates 31 Federal Engineering Gerhardt/Offenhauser TC 0 0 did not qualify 0

39 39 Bill Puterbaugh 77 George Walther Gerhardt/Ford 0 0 did not qualify 0

40 40 Bill Cheesbourg 22 Michner Racing Eagle 214/Ford 0 0 did not qualify 0

41 41 Al Miller 32 Walter Weir Gerhardt/Ford 0 0 did not qualify 0

42 42 Bob Harkey 71 Carol Horton Horton 1/Ford 0 0 did not qualify 0

43 43 Jerry Titus 76 Friedkin Enterprises Eagle 203/Ford 0 0 did not qualify 0

Roger McCluskey 38 Lindsey Hopkins Eagle 209/ 0 backup car 0

Johnny Rutherford 90 Robert Wilke Watson/Offenhauser TC 0 0 practiced car 0

Bill Puterbaugh 63 Mickey Thompson Thompson 68/Ford 0 0 rookie test 0

Bill Puterbaugh 71 Carol Horton Horton 1/Ford 0 0 practiced car 0

Wally Dallenbach 94 Tassi Vatis Huffaker 64/Offenhauser TC 0 0 practiced car 0

Al Unser 5 Retzloff Racing Team Lola T150 4WD SL-150-02/Ford TC 0 0 practiced car 0

Sam Sessions 45 Weinberger & Wilseck Eagle 206/Ford 0 0 practiced car 0

Sam Sessions 45 Weinberger & Wilseck Gerhardt/Ford 0 0 refresher test 0

Sam Sessions 14 Myron Caves Gerhardt/Offenhauser TC 0 0 practiced car 0

Gary Bettenhausen 97 J.C. Agajanian Mongoose 67/Ford 0 0 rookie test 0

Gary Bettenhausen 47 Joe Hunt 1958 Lesovsky D/Offenhauser 0 0 rookie test 0

Ralph Liguori 71 Carol Horton Horton 1/Ford 0 0 refresher test 0

Ralph Liguori 88 Kenny Brenn Gerhardt/Ford 0 0 refresher test 0

Ralph Liguori 77 George Walther Gerhardt/Ford 0 0 refresher test 0

Bud Tinglestad 31 Federal Engineering Gerhardt/Offenhauser TC 0 0 practiced car 0

Larry Dickson 88 Kenny Brenn Gerhardt/Ford 0 0 practiced car 0

Larry Dickson 77 George Walther Gerhardt/Ford 0 0 practiced car 0

LeeRoy Yarbrough 59 Hayhoe Hayhoe 68/Offenhauser TC 0 0 practiced car 0

LeeRoy Yarbrough 20 STP Lotus 56 4WD 4/Turbine 0 0 practiced car 0

Art Pollard 40 STP Granatelli/Turbine 0 0 practiced car 0

Art Pollard 11 Don Gerhardt Gerhardt/Offenhauser TC 0 0 practiced car 0

Jim Malloy 67 Jim Robbins Vollstedt 66/Ford 0 0 practiced car 0

Sonny Ates 19 MVS Inc. Cecil 66 1/Ford 0 0 rookie test 0

Bob Harkey 81 Peter Salemi Gerhardt/Offenhauser TC 0 0 practiced car 0

Mario Andretti 60 STP Lotus 56 4WD 1/Turbine 0 0 practiced car 0

Bill Cheesbourg 75 Carol Horton Horton 2/Ford 0 0 practiced car 0

Bill Cheesbourg 81 Peter Salemi Gerhardt/Offenhauser TC 0 0 practiced car 0

George Snider 90 Robert Wilke Watson/Offenhauser TC 0 0 practiced car 0

Joe Leonard 40 STP Granatelli/Turbine 0 0 practiced car 0

Joe Leonard 9 Vel Miletich Morris 68 1/Ford TC 0 0 practiced car 0

Lloyd Ruby 60 STP Lotus 56 4WD 1/Turbine 0 0 practiced car 0

Dempsey Wilson 51 Lysle Greenman Halibrand 66/Chevrolet 0 0 practiced car 0

Dempsey Wilson 63 Mickey Thompson Thompson 68 1/Ford 0 0 practiced car 0

Chuck Stevenson 94 Tassi Vatis Huffaker 64/Offenhauser TC 0 0 practiced car 0

Dan Gurney 42 Oscar Olson Eagle 68/Ford 0 0 practiced car 0

Les Scott 50 Navarro Watson 64/AMC 0 0 refresher test 0

Jerry Grant 76 Friedkin Enterprises Eagle 203/Ford 0 0 practiced car 0

Rollie Beale 32 Walter Weir Gerhardt/Ford 0 0 practiced car 0

Rollie Beale 88 Kenny Brenn Gerhardt/Ford 0 0 rookie test 0

Al Miller 32 Walter Weir Gerhardt/Ford 0 0 practiced car 0

Al Miller 9 Vel Miletich Morris 68 1/Ford TC 0 0 practiced car 0

George Follmer 28 George R. Bryant Gilbert 67 1/Ford 0 0 rookie test 0

Denis Hulme 69 Shelby-Dowd Shelby 68/Turbine 0 0 practiced car 0

Graham Hill 20 STP Lotus 56 4WD 4/Turbine 0 0 practiced car 0

Jack Brabham 35 Jack Brabham Brabham BT25 1/Repco 0 0 refresher test 0

Jack Brabham 95 Jack Brabham Brabham BT25 2/Repco 0 0 practiced car 0

Bobby Johns 26 Malcolm Boyle Gerhardt/Offenhauser TC 0 0 did not qualify 0

Bobby Johns 17 Rolla Vollstedt Vollstedt 67/Ford 0 0 did not qualify 0

Chuck Hulse 73 Myron Caves Gerhardt/Offenhauser TC 0 0 practiced car 0

Chuck Hulse 90 Robert Wilke Watson/Offenhauser TC 0 0 practiced car 0

Chuck Hulse 14 Myron Caves Gerhardt/Offenhauser TC 0 0 practiced car 0

Jerry Titus 50 Navarro Watson 64/AMC 0 0 practiced car 0

Jerry Titus 75 Carol Horton Horton 2/Ford 0 0 rookie test 0

Jerry Titus 71 Carol Horton Horton 1/Ford 0 0 practiced car 0

Bobby Grim 59 Hayhoe Hayhoe 68/Offenhauser TC 0 0 practiced car 0

Arnold Knepper 17 Rolla Vollstedt Vollstedt 67/Ford 0 0 practiced car 0

Ronnie Duman 22 Michner Racing Eagle 214/Ford 0 0 practiced car 0

Ronnie Duman 26 Malcolm Boyle Gerhardt/Offenhauser TC 0 0 practiced car 0

Billy Vukovich 97 J.C. Agajanian Mongoose 67/Ford 0 0 practiced car 0

Billy Vukovich 16 Don Gerhardt Gerhardt/Offenhauser TC 0 0 practiced car 0

Greg Weld 30 STP Lotus 56 4WD 2/Turbine 0 0 refresher test 0

Greg Weld 17 Rolla Vollstedt Vollstedt 67/Ford 0 0 practiced car 0

Carl Williams 5 Retzloff Racing Team Lola T150 4WD SL-150-02/Ford TC 0 0 practiced car 0

Bruce Walkup 59 Hayhoe Hayhoe 68/Offenhauser TC 0 0 rookie test 0

Rick Muther 28 George R. Bryant Gilbert 67 1/Ford 0 0 did not qualify 0

Rick Muther 22 Michner Racing Eagle 214/Ford 0 0 rookie test 0

Bob Hurt 36 Jack Adams Lola T92/Ford 0 0 refresher test 0

Bob Hurt 81 Peter Salemi Gerhardt/Offenhauser TC 0 0 practiced car 0

Bob Hurt 90 Robert Wilke Watson/Offenhauser TC 0 0 practiced car 0

Bob Hurt 14 Myron Caves Gerhardt/Offenhauser TC 0 0 did not qualify 0

Bob Hurt 11 Don Gerhardt Gerhardt/Offenhauser TC 0 0 practiced car 0

Masten Gregory 28 George R. Bryant Gilbert 67 1/Ford 0 0 practiced car 0

Masten Gregory 95 Jack Brabham Brabham BT25 2/Repco 0 0 practiced car 0

Dee Jones 46 Otto Becker Lotus/Chevrolet 0 0 practiced car 0

Dee Jones 34 Frank Fiore Huffaker 66/Chevrolet 0 0 practiced car 0

Bruce McLaren 66 Shelby-Dowd Shelby 68/Turbine 0 0 practiced car 0

Bruce McLaren 69 Shelby-Dowd Shelby 68/Turbine 0 0 rookie test 0

Ronnie Bucknum 64 Andretti Racing Enterprises Hawk II/Ford 0 0 practiced car 0

Henry Pens 17 Rolla Vollstedt Vollstedt 67/Ford 0 0 rookie test 0

Mike Spence 60 STP Lotus 56 4WD 1/Turbine 0 0 practiced car 0

Mike Spence 30 STP Lotus 56 4WD 2/Turbine 0 0 practiced car 0

Last edited by jimclark; 30 May 2017 at 20:38.

jimclark
Old 31 May 2017, 00:43 (Ref:3737531)   #347
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I finally watched the rest of the race and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Obviously I knew the result but not the complete story and found myself riveted. I thought it had pretty much everything one would want in the Indy 500, though maybe there were a couple of cautions too many. Just a shame I couldn't watch the whole race live.

I really hope Alonso makes a full recovery from his Hondaitis and does come back. He generated a genuine interest in the race, not seen for a long time and hopefully that will benefit the series as a whole, something it needs as it emerges from what has been a very difficult period for AOWR.
Old 31 May 2017, 03:13 (Ref:3737540)   #348
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Congratulations to Taku-sensei!

Helio fought hard but couldnt overtake Taku. Still a hero.

I'm very happy that Max Chilton and Ed Jones didn't win.

It was intense and a great birthday journey.
I would have been okay with Ed Jones winning, some kind of sugar for Dale Coyne after so much promise for the weekend , unfulfilled
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 31 May 2017, 07:39 (Ref:3737579)   #349
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Re: Nostalgia

Indy's resident Donald Davidson summed it up very eloquently in a podcast recently when asked "What was the best era of IndyCar in his opinion"

I'll paraphrase, but he said that an answer would be more or less meaningless. He said that our peak love and adoration for something is 4-5 years after first discovering it. By that time, you have become knowledgeable enough to truly appreciate it, you accept it for what it is and you accept everything that has come before it. From then on, it's easy to fall into the trap of becoming disillusioned with any changes to that thing you first fell in love with.

I found that to be quite profound and it totally rings true with my relationship to Formula One, for example. I've fallen out of love with it, but I remember the mid 00's with great fondness. An era that alot of older people deride as being one of the worst era's.
Old 31 May 2017, 09:18 (Ref:3737598)   #350
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Peat -

I understand the above and it's true for many. Not for me and some auto racing friends of mine. I still love F1 and LMP1 (could do without the "hybrid" and excess aero in both) for it's technology just as I used to enjoy USAC and CART. BoPd venues turn me off. It's not the time, it's the concept that I enjoy or not.

Bottom line is, I like to see the best teams build the best cars and the best drivers pilot them. 'Don't wish to see "leveled playing field" racing. That's it.

jimclark