Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 3 Feb 2008, 22:25 (Ref:2120072)   #176
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC
I don't think that they've sold the Bank of Terre Haute, either...then there is the Coca Cola bottling franchise...yeah, the Hulman's are starving to death.

Funny how some posters will happily chime in when someone knocks down TG, but if anyone points out what the Hulman family is worth, then they ask why we are talking about TG in a CC forum.

You can't have it both ways.
They sold the Coca Cola business almost 3 decades ago.

I really don't care about their family business. The only point I speculate about is that mr. george doesn't have the "right currency" anymore. If he did this would have been over months ago.
Old 3 Feb 2008, 22:26 (Ref:2120073)   #177
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by indycool
Link(s)?
Links to what?
Old 3 Feb 2008, 22:41 (Ref:2120084)   #178
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The right currency would be paying The Amigos for their mistaken spending and that would be just silly. What do you think the CC assets are worth?

Link(s) means to "half a billion spent" and "lowest amount of cars and sponsors for 2008."
Old 3 Feb 2008, 23:03 (Ref:2120105)   #179
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Links to the sale of the Coca Cola business would be nice as well.

A lot of stuff gets thrown here and when it is challenged the subject gets changed...
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 3 Feb 2008, 23:09 (Ref:2120110)   #180
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
I don't think you'll have too much trouble finding that info as many articles regarding such have been posted here. Then do the math.

John your answer is easily available by doing a search online. It only took me 20 seconds to find it.
Old 3 Feb 2008, 23:26 (Ref:2120122)   #181
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bored now guys - looks like we're going to have two series in 08 so let's just can this thread for a season can we.........please. We all want one series and want "the other guys" to fold but it ain't gonna happen yet. Me? I'm just happy to see Justin Wilson in a great car for once in his career and am looking forward to seeing Franchitti, Villeneuve, Montoya and Wheldon doing great also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Magnusson
Let's just hope the Eurosport coverage continues like it was last year, because I think it will be a good season...
Were you watching a different Eurosport, Jimmy. I see to recall some pretty damn awful scheduling actually. Nothing unusual about that though......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Knight_(Monty_Python)

Maybe it's time for the Black Knights of Open Wheel to take a realistic evaluation of how bad things have become?
It's only a flesh wound - classic
Old 4 Feb 2008, 00:21 (Ref:2120152)   #182
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Okay, again, mountainstar, what do you think the CC assets are worth?
Old 4 Feb 2008, 07:28 (Ref:2120256)   #183
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzza
Actually it is NPV - net present value.
Sorry, my fault, that's what I wanted to say, but I had an amnesia and couldn't recall the exact english term
Old 4 Feb 2008, 07:34 (Ref:2120258)   #184
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery
Were you watching a different Eurosport, Jimmy. I see to recall some pretty damn awful scheduling actually. Nothing unusual about that though......It's only a flesh wound - classic
I was, and it being live on Eurosport 2 meant that the awful Swedish commentators (well, one of them; Mattias Andersson isn't too bad actually) went away and got replaced by Shaw & Hinch.
Old 4 Feb 2008, 09:56 (Ref:2120327)   #185
Kieran20
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Kieran20 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It IS a CC forum and those in the know here want to discuss TG's finances. I don't know them, and neither does anyone here. That's why there were no numbers in my post. It APPEARS that The Hulman Co. sold some things -- as I mentioned, the TV stations were sold -- but we have no clue as to how that money and whatever other money they have is invested or how it's performed.

But if the track in Loudon, N.H., was sold for $340 million to SMI, somehow you're not very convincing that the world's largest seating facility, also designated a National Historic Landmark, isn't worth pretty close to what I quoted as an appraisal I'd read.

TG started a series with only Indy from scratch and has developed it WITH competition. CART started a series around Indy without competition from USAC after 1 1/2 years. CC started a series with the remnants of a bankrupt CART WITH competition from the IRL. One series, despite the brickbats thrown at guys like Stokkan and Craig, did better than two. It should have been one when CART went bankrupt, but The Amigos got in the way. So we continue with two halves fighting each other to be the whole. Judging TG's management is solely the province of the CW mentality.

And luke, I didn't say a thing about TG being a saint. I responded to the poster's question. Your sarcasm is unwarranted. The IRL was fully mentioned and being discussed before I posted.

The IRL is failing? Oh.
i think you will find no one wants to talk what your on about as its clear biased BS because you work for the man.

I think you will also find that the series was kept alive to keep going what was one of the best series in the world, not to get in the way of indy car and its current fall.
Old 4 Feb 2008, 10:28 (Ref:2120363)   #186
blaarg
Racer

blaarg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No matter what one believes, Tony George ruined the sport for fans worldwide when he 'created' the split.

None of this garbage would have ever happened if Tony George remained a simple track owner.
Old 4 Feb 2008, 11:42 (Ref:2120643)   #187
AJdinger
Rookie

AJdinger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Well, profits on the Indianapolis 500 and Brickyard 400, for starters. Then there's Clabber Girl baking powder, Brickyard Crossing Golf Course and the restaurant, bar and motel at the golf course. There's still IMS Productions, an award-winning state-of-the-art video production company. The Hulman Co. used to own several TV stations but sold them years ago. Where they put that money is unknown because it's a private company. But, as a private company with an asset like the Indianapolis Motor Speedway that has been appraised at $3.6 BILLION, I doubt that it's hurtin'.

Couldn't keep F-1? No, Bernie wanted more money than an independent promoter could possibly make. He could get it out of Arab oil sheiks. IMS was probably the only place it could be tried in the U.S. with enough mioney to give it a whirl, but it only drew in the neighborhood of 125-130,000 and was not a pretty full house like the other two. It wasn't going to work. It's been replaced by the Moto GP. Time will tell, but at least in Indy people are excited about that because Nicky Hayden is from down the road near Evansville.
If TG didn't create the split and ruin the best series in the world there wouldn't be a problem today. He is not going to be superman and save AOWR. It is beyond repair after the years of him not wanting to merge. 2000 would have been ideal but he didn't wanna do it with CART. The IRL will probably have even less cars and this is why TG gave the offer in the first place, not to save open wheel but to make his series even better and stuff CC. It isn't in CC's best interests.

Also IC you shouldn't try make TG look like a saint like luke said. The IRL is not a success either. If it was it would have passed CART in its glory days. It only passed CART in its dying year because, well it was dying! anyway, how's IMS and Tony? Good is he?
Old 4 Feb 2008, 14:08 (Ref:2120744)   #188
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Tiresome wrangling about the IRL and its ownership. Also, a tedious need for one-upmanship. None of this any more discussing the thread purpose.

Closed.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James