Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 30 Jun 2021, 09:31 (Ref:4058993)   #1
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
BTCC 2022 season discussion, News and Rumours!

Rounds-Date-Venue/Circuit
1,2,3-23/24 April-Donington Park (National)
4,5,6-14/15 May-Brands Hatch (Indy)
7,8,9-28/29 May-Thruxton
10,11,12-11/12 June-Oulton Park (Island)
13,14,15-25/26 June-Croft
16,17,18-30/31 July-Knockhill
19,20,21-13/14 August-Snetterton (300)
22,23,24-27/28 August-Thruxton
25,26,27-24/25 September-Silverstone (National)
28,29,30-8/9 October-Brands Hatch (Grand Prix)
Old 30 Jun 2021, 10:09 (Ref:4058999)   #2
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Was going to say that was quick, but then remembered that due to the season starting late, we are already in June. Nice to see it mixed around a bit, although I wish they would use a second event at Donny, Oulton or Silverstone on a different layout, rather than a second Thruxton meeting again
Old 30 Jun 2021, 10:14 (Ref:4059000)   #3
CarfanLUFC
Racer

Zimbabwe
A Yorkshire Farm
CarfanLUFC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCarfanLUFC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I quite like Thruxton although there is a couple of other tracks I'd rather see get a 2nd date above it.

A 2nd Donington date could possibly use the full track? Or is that not possible with all the support races using that section as make shift garages?
Old 30 Jun 2021, 13:12 (Ref:4059025)   #4
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarfanLUFC View Post
A 2nd Donington date could possibly use the full track? Or is that not possible with all the support races using that section as make shift garages?
No, they use the paddock for that; on National Circuit days the Loop is used as the assembly area for support races. For big international meetings on the national circuit the return leg of the Loop is sometimes used for the TV trucks and ancillary bits and pieces.
Old 30 Jun 2021, 10:18 (Ref:4059002)   #5
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Come to think about it, they could also use the Snetterton outer circuit
Old 30 Jun 2021, 13:48 (Ref:4059027)   #6
AnnoyedMoose
Racer

AnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Come to think about it, they could also use the Snetterton outer circuit
I may have my circuits mixed up but I seem to remember the last time they raced on the 200 rather than 300 it was such a boring race they said they wouldn't do it again.
Old 30 Jun 2021, 15:20 (Ref:4059041)   #7
S griffin
Veteran

BTCC 2022 season discussion, News and Rumours!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnoyedMoose View Post
I may have my circuits mixed up but I seem to remember the last time they raced on the 200 rather than 300 it was such a boring race they said they wouldn't do it again.

The series hasn’t used the 200 since the track got changed
Old 30 Jun 2021, 15:24 (Ref:4059043)   #8
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnoyedMoose View Post
That was when they used the full Oulton Park International layout that includes Shell Oil Bend rather than the usual Island layout.
Old 30 Jun 2021, 10:22 (Ref:4059004)   #9
CarfanLUFC
Racer

Zimbabwe
A Yorkshire Farm
CarfanLUFC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCarfanLUFC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or a 2nd date at Oulton using one of the other layouts.
Old 30 Jun 2021, 10:47 (Ref:4059006)   #10
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I'd vote for any of the above. I would like to see Oulton Fosters or Snetterton 200. I wonder what happened to the plan of using the Silverstone International Circuit? Has that opportunity vanished now?
Old 30 Jun 2021, 12:12 (Ref:4059016)   #11
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I'd vote for any of the above. I would like to see Oulton Fosters or Snetterton 200. I wonder what happened to the plan of using the Silverstone International Circuit? Has that opportunity vanished now?
This is what left me wondering as well. Quite a shame to be honest, there aren't many tracks eligible for BTCC but at least this could be some variation. Nothing against Thruxton, it's a fine track but nothing justifies going there twice.
As for Silverstone's international loop it's quite a shame that we were close to seeing BTCC go there and after Covid came there was no word about it anymore.
Probably a reason was mentioned somewhere but my memory may be too short!
Old 30 Jun 2021, 16:30 (Ref:4059053)   #12
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I wonder what happened to the plan of using the Silverstone International Circuit? Has that opportunity vanished now?
I was thinking the same. 2020 meeting was dropped following the Covid enforced calendar shuffle when supposedly Silverstone had no dates available. I can partly understand why it wasn't back for 2021 with some uncertainty over more Covid restrictions, but I was expecting it back in 2022.

After the big fuss they made when the 2020 date was first announced it all seems to have been quietly swept under the carpet.
Old 1 Jul 2021, 11:56 (Ref:4059157)   #13
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
After the big fuss they made when the 2020 date was first announced it all seems to have been quietly swept under the carpet.
I would surmise - I definitely don't know this as fact, so take it as read - that the International circuit using the Wing pits is considerably more expensive to hire than the National.

Add to that the relatively small size of the paddock which would push some of the support series over to the National paddock areas and have to move pit equipment, tyres, team personnel between the two (like they do at the Grand Prix) I would imagine that TOCA looked at it and thought.... yeah nah.
Old 1 Jul 2021, 16:50 (Ref:4059210)   #14
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Add to that the relatively small size of the paddock which would push some of the support series over to the National paddock areas and have to move pit equipment, tyres, team personnel between the two (like they do at the Grand Prix) I would imagine that TOCA looked at it and thought.... yeah nah.
I had questioned the size of the paddock at the time and assumed that TOCA would have been satisfied it was all ok. I don't think using the National paddock was ever an option - the link road between the two works for the GP but cuts across the International track. Opening and closing the movable concrete barrier is not the work of a moment.

Ironically it would have been easier last year as they would have had much more space in the paddock with no hospitality units.
Old 3 Jul 2021, 11:41 (Ref:4059538)   #15
CroftPilgrim
Racer

CroftPilgrim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
I would surmise - I definitely don't know this as fact, so take it as read - that the International circuit using the Wing pits is considerably more expensive to hire than the National.

Simple answer, as Alan Gow stated about this year's calendar, it was Silverstone's preference to use the National circuit
Old 5 Jul 2021, 14:35 (Ref:4059957)   #16
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroftPilgrim View Post
Simple answer, as Alan Gow stated about this year's calendar, it was Silverstone's preference to use the National circuit

So at least we can’t blame Gow, at least he tried with the ‘South’ circuit
Old 30 Jun 2021, 12:37 (Ref:4059022)   #17
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Could the double visit to Thruxton have anything to do with it also being the BARC's own circuit?
Old 30 Jun 2021, 13:04 (Ref:4059024)   #18
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Could the double visit to Thruxton have anything to do with it also being the BARC's own circuit?
There’s no other reason.
Old 30 Jun 2021, 17:07 (Ref:4059059)   #19
CroftPilgrim
Racer

CroftPilgrim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As much as it would be nice to have a different circuit to Thruxton hosting a second event, it all comes down to who actually wants to or can put a second event on. I know in previous years the option has been there for other circuits but in the absence of any takers, Thruxton gets it
Old 30 Jun 2021, 18:22 (Ref:4059068)   #20
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would be nice for the BARC to get their other main track up to standard again. Pembrey would have a good catchment area of Cardiff and Swansea and there's no other rounds within about 200 miles of there. Would fill a big gap in the series' geographical reach.
Old 1 Jul 2021, 08:27 (Ref:4059134)   #21
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetool View Post
It would be nice for the BARC to get their other main track up to standard again. Pembrey would have a good catchment area of Cardiff and Swansea and there's no other rounds within about 200 miles of there. Would fill a big gap in the series' geographical reach.
Absolutely agree with that. Probably needs a shed load of money though... last time I was at Pembrey I had hair and it was pretty rundown and basic. Nice track layout, good to drive on and some great viewing points.
Old 1 Jul 2021, 10:57 (Ref:4059149)   #22
Teletubby
Veteran

England
Hampshire
Teletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTeletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Absolutely agree with that. Probably needs a shed load of money though... last time I was at Pembrey I had hair and it was pretty rundown and basic. Nice track layout, good to drive on and some great viewing points.
Courtesy of the Welsh Government, Pembrey has hosted zero race meetings in over a year, that's an awful lot of lost revenue. Combine that with the cost of actually hosting a BTCC event vs the number of spectators that would make the journey and I suspect that the sums just don't add up.
Old 1 Jul 2021, 16:38 (Ref:4059202)   #23
S griffin
Veteran

We are still waiting for the Circuit of Wales….
Old 1 Jul 2021, 16:40 (Ref:4059204)   #24
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Is 2022 the year when the teams need to start running the hybrid kit?
Old 1 Jul 2021, 16:51 (Ref:4059211)   #25
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
Is 2022 the year when the teams need to start running the hybrid kit?

Yes, I think so