Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 5 Jan 2021, 19:55 (Ref:4027048)   #1
STR_Strat
Rookie

STR_Strat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Vixen F4 restoration

Hi,

I have just purchased a chassis (No. 109) and collection of parts for an Imp powered Vixen F4 car from around 1967.
I am looking for any information or source of parts to complete the build and would appreciate any leads that may help.
The chassis was stripped and painted by the previous owner and comes with 3 sets of bodywork and moulds.

https://tentenths.com/forum/attachme...1&d=1609876406
Regards

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4584.jpg  
Old 7 Jan 2021, 08:59 (Ref:4027364)   #2
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Morning Dave, I am not going to be much help to you I am afraid. I along with Alan Morgan raced in F4 but we did not start until 1977. Richard Page and Duncan Rabagliati have written a book with all the F4 results from 1966 too 1976. There is a full index of drivers and cars from this period. Another tenther is Marcus Mussa who did race a Vixen in F4. I am in touch with him so I will ask if he has a pictures that might be of help with the rebuild.
I have very fond memories racing bin F4 so would love you to keep posting pictures and reports on how the rebuild is shaping up. Good luck. If you want a copy of the book than e mail me and I will put you in touch with Richard.
Old 7 Jan 2021, 09:06 (Ref:4027365)   #3
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Click image for larger version

Name:	F4 book..jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.61 MB
ID:	66128
Old 7 Jan 2021, 10:01 (Ref:4027373)   #4
STR_Strat
Rookie

Thank you for your reply.
Any information would be gratefully received and yes I would be interested in the book, particularly if there is any clues as to the history of the chassis I have.

BR

Dave
Old 7 Jan 2021, 15:55 (Ref:4027448)   #5
Marcus Mussa
Veteran

United Kingdom
Monaco
Marcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hi Dave, Iain asked if I could help. I cannot help much with the rebuild, although I can confirm the engine goes in the back (!) and the gearbox comes from a Hillman Imp (Jack Knight). The car I bought was the ex Keith something (? I can check my notes) VB1 prototype car. It would have started life with a motorcycle engine. I bought it from Giorgio Costa, who got it from Bob Jarvis and sold it indirectly to Mike Wilds, again via Bob Jarvis. Bob is the one who probably knows the most about Vixens, everything seemed to go through him and Pat Longhurst. Bob is still around I believe, he was in South London, so go there armed.
My car had 10 inch. Mini wheels at the front (with Dunlops) and 13 inch. at the back (with Firestones). It ran Reece Fish carburettors, but some cars had Strombergs or Webers. Another person who might know is Ron Parker (I met him at Castle Combe in 2013), so he is still around, and I have an email address for him.
I was contacted about the same time by a Myles Castaldini who was rebuilding a Vixen Imp and I think was on Ten Tenths as well.
Good luck anyhow, Marcus
Old 7 Jan 2021, 16:05 (Ref:4027454)   #6
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Mussa View Post
I was contacted about the same time by a Myles Castaldini who was rebuilding a Vixen Imp and I think was on Ten Tenths as well.
Could that be -

https://www.tentenths.com/forum/member.php?u=38632
Old 8 Jan 2021, 11:09 (Ref:4027614)   #7
STR_Strat
Rookie

Hi Marcus/Aysedasi

The car that I have is the same car that Myles started to restore in 2004.
Due to lots of other commitments and projects he never finished it, I spotted the car when I went to collect some machinery from him in the summer and expressed an interest in it.
Thank you for your response I will keep digging as much as I can without being able to get out and about. When we are allowed out to play, I am hoping to find some still competing in any form of motor sport so that I can talk to owners and maybe take some reference pictures.

BR

Dave
Old 8 Jan 2021, 12:39 (Ref:4027638)   #8
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have just put 'Vixen F4 racing car' into google using firefox then clicked the images icon at the top of the page and found plenty of photos of Vixen F4s. There was also one of a rather nice looking Vixen GT car from 1964 which I had never heard of previously.
Old 9 Jan 2021, 09:58 (Ref:4027805)   #9
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Dave , I have some very good news . Good mate of mine who lurks on here tells me there is a complete car not five miles away . Where are you based . Vixen in Reading area.
Old 9 Jan 2021, 11:55 (Ref:4027825)   #10
STR_Strat
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Dave , I have some very good news . Good mate of mine who lurks on here tells me there is a complete car not five miles away . Where are you based . Vixen in Reading area.
Hi that sounds promising, I am in Banbury North Oxfordshire.

BR

Dave
Old 17 Jan 2021, 13:16 (Ref:4029612)   #11
RWM27
Rookie

RWM27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi
I have a formula f4 Vixen which I have complete but in bits. Is there any way I can contact you direct rather than through the forum? I have a few questions to run though to help me with my build.