Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 5 Sep 2001, 12:15 (Ref:141721)   #1
Robert
Racer

Robert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Respect for DC?

Only 3 races left, DC is 2nd in the championship and has been the ONLY driver to mount a serious challenege to Michael Schumacher this year.

Isn't it about time the childish sniping at DC, on this and other boards, stopped and people gave him some respect, god knows he's earned it this year, only his car and team has prevented him from maintaining this challenge over the latter part of the season.

Come on, who's going to give some respect, even if it is grudgingly, and who is going to fail their graduation from primary school.

Robert
Old 5 Sep 2001, 12:22 (Ref:141726)   #2
GanjaGrizz
Racer

GanjaGrizz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Respect for DC?

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert
Only 3 races left, DC is 2nd in the championship and has been the ONLY driver to mount a serious challenege to Michael Schumacher this year.

If you call that a serious challenge..lol
David is and always will be an Average driver at best. Its not insulting him its just the truth! Just look at what hes done in the past. Hell even a plane crash couldn't wake him up.
I dont hate the guy but I dont think hes got talent either. He's had one of the best cars in recent years and what has he to show for it?
Old 5 Sep 2001, 12:33 (Ref:141734)   #3
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hi, Robert ! Welcome back.

I know we've been pushing a little hard on DC. Just for the fun of it.

And being a DC fan you are right to be angry.

But take this as a joke, we have a lot of respect for him, because he's a F1 driver and is at one of the best teams, something none of us will ever achieve.

Just relax and see the funny side of it.

Last edited by Bononi; 5 Sep 2001 at 12:34.
Old 5 Sep 2001, 12:38 (Ref:141738)   #4
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Re: Respect for DC?

Quote:
Come on, who's going to give some respect, even if it is grudgingly, and who is going to fail their graduation from primary school.
Well the teacher better get out old RED and hand me a fail.

Robert, are you saying that anyone who does'nt support your view on DC is childish?

He has'nt finished second yet, and apart from a few very good races (and I'd say that about almost all the drivers) it's been the same old David. Start every year with "no more Mr Niceguy", "This is my year - really" and then when he's kicked back into place by better drivers, the excuses roll in and the results dwindle.

He has had some excellent cars beneath him in the past, and when you compare his results to his team-mates he looks the driver he is - second rate - sorry, but the truth hurts.
Old 5 Sep 2001, 12:45 (Ref:141740)   #5
Robert
Racer

Hi, Ganjgriz,

Well, up until the start of Monaco, he was only 4 points behind after 7 races and he'd just stuck his car on pole!! You couldn't get a more serious challenge than that but, that's when his team and car went FUBAR on him.

I know this was only just over a third into the season but, there are many Williams/Jordan/Jaguar/etc etc fans who's drivers didn't even get this close to Mikey who still treat DC as a joke, I think he should have earned their respect this year, even if it is given grudgingly.

I was just wondering if they were man enough to give it!

Robert
Old 5 Sep 2001, 12:48 (Ref:141741)   #6
kuchi
Veteran

Colombia
Bogota, Colombia
kuchi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I respect him, yes, but I don't think he is a good driver. Let's just imagine if another driver like Kimi or Juan could have the car DC has got in the last 3 or 4 seasons. They would've been closer to the top than David has ever been. Even RB has been more consistant than DC in some races, eventhough Rubens has to work for TGF. So the bottom line is that DC is good for F1, but not for winning the WDC.
Old 5 Sep 2001, 13:20 (Ref:141760)   #7
GanjaGrizz
Racer

GanjaGrizz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Robert, I wouldn't say DC is a joke, Schumi now thats a joke... ok joking aside. The thing about DC that I find annoying is when he says its his year and then just shows us the same thing. The worst part is he has a chance to win, like you say he was just 4 points away and still finds a way to screw it. Mclaren didnt help him much with the stall after getting pole but thats racing.

How long will DC stay with Mclaren? and will next year be his year like he keeps saying?.
Old 5 Sep 2001, 13:52 (Ref:141774)   #8
Robert
Racer

<Robert, are you saying that anyone who does'nt support your view on DC is childish? >

No, Wrex, what I'm saying is that this year DC has earned some respect, he may not have clinched 2nd place yet but no-one else has given any serious challenge to Mikey this year. I'm asking people if they are man enough to give him some respect or are they just going to continue thier childish sniping.

And If YOU compare his results to his team mates, well he's outperformed Mika all season, truth hurtin' yet?

Robert
Old 5 Sep 2001, 14:40 (Ref:141821)   #9
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Okay Robert.. I somewhat agree with you, and I say somewhat..David has driven well this year, and bearing in mind that the McLaren has not really been that reliable, he is doing a good job. But not quite good enough. Look at Monaco with Bernoldi, and this last weekend at Spa. He just can't pass in races with the same conviction that Mika shows..Would Mika or Michael have stayed behind Bernoldi for that long.. Not a chance!

For the past five or six years David Coulthard has driven what is considered by many to be the best F1 race car period..He just can't seem to get the job done can he??

It's fine to tell yourself that "this is my year" "No more Mr niceguy" etc etc but he should keep those thoughts to himself and drive his tail off, I still think that he is in for a big shock at McLaren.. As far as going up against Michael is concerned my vote has to go to Mr Montoya...Just arrived, made mistakes yes,but that boy is fast..Kimi very fast and very smooth with the right attitude..So David go and win your WDC, we are all waiting with open arms..The truth is Mika Hakkinen can see David off any day of the week,which is why he will stay at McLaren..

Best regards...Jeremy

Last edited by JeremySmith; 5 Sep 2001 at 14:41.
Old 5 Sep 2001, 14:43 (Ref:141825)   #10
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
And If YOU compare his results to his team mates, well he's outperformed Mika all season, truth hurtin' yet?
WOW!!!! DC actually outperformed Mika for the first time ever. It only took him 6 years.

As for other comments, I have a certain amount of respect (as I do for any person who can race in F1, except for perhaps Deletraz [remember him??? ]), but I still think he is an over-rated, wannabe world champion, who in 8 years in some of the best cars has done basically NOTHING!!

Anyone who makes into F1 has got to have at least some talent (again, but for Deletraz!) but DC just seems to lack either commitment or talent in othe areas. Maybe it's his mindset, driving, team play etc.

FACT: Mika is a two time world champion
OPINION: DC is as good as Mika
Old 5 Sep 2001, 14:47 (Ref:141829)   #11
jiggly_puff
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leeds/St.Albans
jiggly_puff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
fact: mika is not as good as people think!

i have never understood everyones hate for DC on this forum - someone explain
Old 5 Sep 2001, 14:55 (Ref:141840)   #12
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Say what you will..

The facts are..Mika Hakkinen two time WDC driving a McLaren.

David Coulthard driving that same car, zero WDC's.. I don't think anyone hates any driver here do they? I like David a lot, Mika and David are good team mates, Mika has the results to prove his worth at McLaren..End of story!
Old 5 Sep 2001, 15:30 (Ref:141872)   #13
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by jiggly_puff

i have never understood everyones hate for DC on this forum - someone explain
Noone really hates him... Heck, the closest I can come to hating someone is Montoya <ducks for cover yet again>, but I don't really HATE him. As Bononi pointed out, to even be in an F1 car is an accomplishment, meaning you are amongst top handful of drivers in the world. Yes, even <grudgingly> Montoya...

But that being said, personally I think David's arse has been filling some of the best seats in F1 for the past.. oh... 6 years or so. And he simply has not responded. This was probably his best year and he's got half the points of Schummi. Its time for him to step aside and let someone else have a crack at top machinery so we can get some excitement back in F1. David has clearly demonstrated he is not up to the task.
Old 5 Sep 2001, 15:47 (Ref:141886)   #14
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
David should have lost his seat at McLaren years ago. Like Rubens, he is an average driver taking up a space in a top team.
Old 5 Sep 2001, 16:03 (Ref:141901)   #15
Raoul Duke
Veteran

Raoul Duke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In the past I have often defended DC when others put him down. But I am getting tired of making excuses for him. He's spent his ENTIRE career driving the best machinery and has very little to show for it. Yes, he's had good days, even brilliant days. But the bottom line is, he is not consistent enough to mount a WC chanllenge.

I think that it takes un unmeasurable amount of courage and skill for any race driver to step inside that cockpit every day and risk their lives at 200+ mph(and yes that includes "grudgingly" TGF).

Do I think that DC is a talented driver?, of course, he wouldn't be in F1 if he didn't have any talent. But do I consider him in the same league as TGF, Senna, Prost, etc, not a chance!.

If he ever wants to be a WC, he's going to have to dig very deep into his reserves to maximise his own level of performance and driving ability, and at the same time hope that Mclaren(or whatever team he's driving for) provide him with a car good enough to do the job. I sincerely hope that he has it in himself to make this improvement. But he's been in F1 for 7 years now and it's a little late in the game to start making those types of improvements.
Old 5 Sep 2001, 17:37 (Ref:141960)   #16
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

I would be man enough to admit i do not support DC in F1.
I dunt hate him, i don't get angry over him...i respect him as one of 22 drivers who risk their life to put up a show for us... but i just have no liking for this chap.

The reason have been so obviously stated by many other members of this forum...
"he makes lame excuses..."
"he is good...but not as good as Mika..."
"he had the best cars in his career, but no..."
etc.
Just read the above and u'd see...

I dont deny i often critise him. For a man in his position, i really expect much more. Yeah, sure...he's MS's closest rival this year...but 40points away...that's close...but i deny these comments are just "childish snipes" because many would share the same view...

i never thought that any comments i make about him is unwarranted or unfair towards him, and so childish my comments towards him are not. Because they are not based on my feelings for him, but are what i witness and understand.

And for a driver who doesnt show other's the much needed respect, i do not see him. A gentleman many thinks? Not if you ask me. Gentlemen do not go put downers on his own team, pull long faces when he loses, and scold somebody idiot when the other did nil wrong...and these are views from a person who was brought up with impressions that Brits=Gentlemen..

And considering the lack of "respect" (or the presence of excessive bad jokes) on somebody of Michael's calibre... who cares a hoot about DC?

Old 5 Sep 2001, 18:52 (Ref:142004)   #17
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Robert, I'll stand up with you, but supporters of DC here are rare and only, Jay, Moffat and I seem to continue to believe in him. (Looking at the company, I'm keeping, I'm worried about myself...)

I'm no fan of Ron Dennis, but the man knows his stuff and would not keep re-signing Coulthard if he felt he were worthless. The sad thing is that Coulthard drove better than ever this past season and he gets no credit for it. He was let down by the car on several occaissions and yet he managed to outperform Hakkinen cleanly. Mika was a great driver, but the edge is gone and the momentum within the team has switched to the Scot.

Saddly, next year may be even more difficult for McLaren as Williams will raise their game and Ferrai isn't going anywhere yet.

DC may not be Schumacher's equal, but he's better than most of the field.

If Hakkinen is considered to be the only near-peer that Schumacher contested over the past few seasons, then the McLaren must really have stunk this past season for Mika to be so far behind, and yet Coulthard, as Robert has said, is the ONLY driver to have mounted a serious challenge.
Perhaps DC had the best car in 98 and 99, and didn't exploit that advantage, but I believe he is still growing and is a better driver now than he was then. He is not **** now because he didn't win then.
Old 5 Sep 2001, 19:17 (Ref:142020)   #18
Raoul Duke
Veteran

Raoul Duke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think that DC is a **** driver, never did. To reiterate what I've said before, anybody who makes it into F1 has a large amount of skill and raw courage that surpasses by far anything we could ever dream about. But sometimes I question DC's commitement, his motivation, his self confidence. Yes there have been times when his car simply wasn't up to the job, but there have been times when HE wasn't up to task either. He simply cannot rely on his Mclaren to bring him the results. It didn't work when Mclaren were the best car on the grid, and it surely won't work now that their not. Part of what makes a successful world champion is the ability to dig deep into your own personal reserves of courage and stamina to get the absolute limit out of the car, and I question whether or not DC does this. TGF does, Hakkinen did, Ralf and Montoya do(and will be ones to look out for in the futur), but DC?, I guess the jury's still open. Would I like to see DC be WC?, absolutely(and I will retract all the comments I've just made about him if he does). Do I think he ever will?, I don't see it happening.

Last edited by Raoul Duke; 5 Sep 2001 at 19:18.
Old 5 Sep 2001, 19:18 (Ref:142022)   #19
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Fair enough, Raoul.
Old 5 Sep 2001, 19:38 (Ref:142031)   #20
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Re: Re: Respect for DC?

Quote:
Originally posted by Wrex
He has'nt finished second yet, and apart from a few very good races (and I'd say that about almost all the drivers) it's been the same old David. Start every year with "no more Mr Niceguy", "This is my year - really" and then when he's kicked back into place by better drivers, the excuses roll in and the results dwindle.
Ditto Wrex - DC has been saying for about three years now that there's "No More Mr. Nice Guy" (and I'm sure it's been an Autosport cover story for at least two of those) and all I can say is that he must surely be a very nasty man by now.

I respect him in the sense that as a Formula 1 driver he is one of the 22 best drivers in the world and a whole lot better than anything I could ever do. But compared to what his team-mate has achieved in the same car, he's pretty poor.
Old 5 Sep 2001, 20:17 (Ref:142049)   #21
jiggly_puff
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leeds/St.Albans
jiggly_puff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ok guys i see where your coming from now i getcha!!!!
Old 5 Sep 2001, 20:58 (Ref:142075)   #22
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just because he hasn't won a WC yet it doesn't mean he'll never improve. But of course now that he is beginning to pose a serious(-ish) challenge Mclaren isn't up to scratch.

He's lost his chance now, it'll be Ferrari Vs Williams next season.
Old 5 Sep 2001, 21:06 (Ref:142079)   #23
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The proof of the pudding is not whether we on this forum respect DC. At best we all just speculate and offer opinions based on personal bias and second hand accounts.

The measure of respect that DC gets from his colleagues, including M. Schumacher, is all I need to know to give him my respect.
Old 5 Sep 2001, 22:14 (Ref:142127)   #24
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
Well said.
Old 5 Sep 2001, 22:41 (Ref:142144)   #25
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Good one Neil.