Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 13 Dec 2020, 10:18 (Ref:4022541)   #226
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Cliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
I don't believe that I have seen mention of Mike's cherished transporter and rig. What happened to it?
Mike sold it back to Hopkins.
Old 13 Dec 2020, 13:55 (Ref:4022606)   #227
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Just catching up with this thread again, I'm delighted that at least one of the cars has been kept "in the family", so to speak......There were some good battles for some of the cars and I feel sure most, if not all, will have been bought by people with the right intentions, rather than just someone trying to make a quick buck.

I had registered just in case anything came in within budget but pretty much the only thing that was was the Ducati - which since I don't have a bike licence would have been a bit pointless. As an ex-Porsche 944 driver and racer I was tempted by the 968 which could maybe have been on if I divested myself of a few other things, but in the end my sensible head stayed on.......... I must have a word with myself!

I'll add my congratulations to all who put the effort into getting the best results in Mike's memory.
Old 13 Dec 2020, 17:15 (Ref:4022666)   #228
Terry Scannell
Veteran

United Kingdom
North Walsham, Norfolk
Terry Scannell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a superb auction result overall and a fantastic testament to Mike that so many people really appreciated the quality of his cars and indeed the man himself. It is great to see that the cars have all gone to new owners who will ensure that the history of the vehicles is maintained and that they will be used in the manner to which Mike would wish them to be.

Being based myself in Mike’s home area of North Walsham, Norfolk, hopefully the Lairy Canary will stay in that fantastic colour scheme of our beloved Norwich City.

Not nowadays being a regular myself on the forum as in past years, mostly due to constraints of time, I must say that I will certainly miss seeing Mike’s happy face around the various paddocks and his superb driving skills on the track.

In my role as CoC for the HSCC Snetterton meetings Mike very kindly assisted me for many years being our Safety Car driver for the Autosport 3 hr meetings. This was a role that he always enjoyed doing at his local circuit whenever his racing commitments would allow and I never had any concerns when we had to scramble the SC at short notice as I would only get to say scra……over the radio and there would be two black lines exiting the pitlane and that wonderful grin on Mike’s face! He was always both a true gentleman and a total enthusiast who was always so willing to help anyone in such a positive manner.

Well done also to those involved with the calendar… dear wife ordered one for me yesterday and look forward to receiving it whenever convenient and it will be in pride of place in my office to remind me of Mike throughout the year.
Old 13 Dec 2020, 17:33 (Ref:4022670)   #229
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Just catching up with this thread again, I'm delighted that at least one of the cars has been kept "in the family", so to speak......There were some good battles for some of the cars and I feel sure most, if not all, will have been bought by people with the right intentions, rather than just someone trying to make a quick buck.

I had registered just in case anything came in within budget but pretty much the only thing that was was the Ducati - which since I don't have a bike licence would have been a bit pointless. As an ex-Porsche 944 driver and racer I was tempted by the 968 which could maybe have been on if I divested myself of a few other things, but in the end my sensible head stayed on.......... I must have a word with myself!

I'll add my congratulations to all who put the effort into getting the best results in Mike's memory.
I thought for under 10k the 968 was a bargain. The Gilbern was less than we budgeted for, and I was very tempted to go for the 968 with the change but my wife was looking over my shoulder at the time and survival mode kicked in....
Old 13 Dec 2020, 18:42 (Ref:4022685)   #230
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
I thought for under 10k the 968 was a bargain. The Gilbern was less than we budgeted for, and I was very tempted to go for the 968 with the change but my wife was looking over my shoulder at the time and survival mode kicked in....
Agree that the 968 was a bargain; I was tempted but the divorce would have cost me more.
Old 13 Dec 2020, 18:52 (Ref:4022688)   #231
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Who's the Boss?
Old 13 Dec 2020, 19:03 (Ref:4022689)   #232
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Who's the Boss?
You’re married Gerard aren’t you? What do you think?!
Old 13 Dec 2020, 20:52 (Ref:4022715)   #233
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Yes I re-discovered that Andy, a side effect of the confinement I presume! And since I asked for my pension, her money earnings are bigger than mine. I've better keep cool… Une soupe, un suppositoire, une claque sur les fesses et au dodo!
Old 14 Dec 2020, 00:59 (Ref:4022787)   #234
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Agree that the 968 was a bargain; I was tempted but the divorce would have cost me more.
we should have gone halves on it - and both told them it belonged to the other ;-)
Old 14 Dec 2020, 07:16 (Ref:4022808)   #235
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
we should have gone halves on it - and both told them it belonged to the other ;-)
Me and 4 mates rent some storage for our cars between us and all our wives think we do that already
Old 14 Dec 2020, 09:26 (Ref:4022833)   #236
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Ryan View Post
Mike sold it back to Hopkins.

Thanks for all the updates, Cliff. And well done on your part in settling Mike's estate.

I sincerely hope that the family were satisfied (probably not the appropriate word to use) with the way that the sale went on Saturday. And good luck to Mary with her ARDS and Gilbert; I look forward to reading about her exploits in the near future.
Old 14 Dec 2020, 14:05 (Ref:4022888)   #237
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Me and 4 mates rent some storage for our cars between us and all our wives think we do that already

When I ran my scrapyard one of my Alfa customers was Steve Berry (ex-Top Gear) who bought a few cars off me, as well as parts. Apparently he had two mates both called "Steve" who were also petrolheads, and whenever marital questions were asked about new automotive acquisitions the response (from any of them!) was regularly " Oh it's Steve's, I'm just checking out a few issues for him"........
Old 14 Dec 2020, 15:31 (Ref:4022909)   #238
Robyn Slater
Veteran

England
Sudbury Suffolk
Robyn Slater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My calendar dropped through the door over the weekend.

A superb tribute to a much loved and valued Gentleman.
Old 14 Dec 2020, 15:34 (Ref:4022910)   #239
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Still not got mine yet
Old 14 Dec 2020, 16:06 (Ref:4022917)   #240
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
Still not got mine yet
That's a worry Tim, I'll check it out.
Old 14 Dec 2020, 16:35 (Ref:4022923)   #241
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
That's a worry Tim, I'll check it out.
I'll give it a few more days, the post can be pretty dire round here
Old 14 Dec 2020, 16:46 (Ref:4022928)   #242
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
I'll give it a few more days, the post can be pretty dire round here
Tim, a calendar was posted out on the 9th., so should be there soon.

Cheers,

Bob
Old 14 Dec 2020, 18:44 (Ref:4022945)   #243
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Yes, I've got an email saying "being posted" on the 8th so that's probably the one.
Many thanks for checking
Old 14 Dec 2020, 22:07 (Ref:4022983)   #244
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
calendars

My 2 have arrived :-) - fantastic job Bob, one for the study and one for the workshop. My dilemma is whether to leave them permanently open at April (which I've raced) or June (which I intend to next year). Spoiled for choice, me. Either way they are a fitting reminder of good times with Mike.
Old 15 Dec 2020, 08:32 (Ref:4023027)   #245
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Pride of place here at Midgetman Mansions

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 15 Dec 2020, 10:33 (Ref:4023039)   #246
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My calendar has now arrived this morning, and it is superb!

Congratulations to Bob, Matti Rogers &n all the photographers.
Old 15 Dec 2020, 10:39 (Ref:4023040)   #247
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I'm proud to announce that I'm the successful bidder for the Gilbern :-)
It's a joint venture with Iain and Mike's sister Mary and her partner also Dave.
We hope to be exercising it in the New Year, and Mary wants to do her ARDS test. We're really pleased that the family connection is continued... and Mike would be chuffed too.
Great job; well done.

Since I'm here, am I allowed to say that I still haven't received my (3) calendars, yet. However, with a surname beginning with 'T' I'm used to being at the bottom of the list …… or maybe there is another reason for that
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 15 Dec 2020, 10:58 (Ref:4023041)   #248
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Great job; well done.

Since I'm here, am I allowed to say that I still haven't received my (3) calendars, yet. However, with a surname beginning with 'T' I'm used to being at the bottom of the list …… or maybe there is another reason for that
My surname begins with a Y and I received mine 2 days ago. I just think it depends on the vagaries of your local and regional sorting office to be honest.
Old 15 Dec 2020, 11:04 (Ref:4023042)   #249
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
I’m still waiting
Old 15 Dec 2020, 13:33 (Ref:4023060)   #250
bauble
Veteran

England
i have sent an e,mail to CCA thanking them for their handling of the sale, and the sympathetic presentation of the cars, properly giving Mike full credit for the standard of the vehicles. I also provided a link to the calendar site on E Bay, which they are sending on to the purchasers, so if anyone did buy one of the cars, I hope they will also buy a calendar ()

Bauble.