Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 3 Feb 2001, 15:19 (Ref:62239)   #1
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
OK, we all love em - one make series. Clios, Tuscans, Fiestas, Elises - but which is *your* favourite ? And why ?
Old 3 Feb 2001, 19:11 (Ref:62286)   #2
MichaelC
Veteran

MichaelC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Difficult to call that one. With any one-make series the racing is usually quite close, if sometimes a bit processional (Fiestas, are you listening??!!)

Never let it be said that I'm predictable, but I'm going for Clios. Something of a destruction derby sometimes, but almost always entertaining.
Elises really should be more fun than it is, but somehow usually disappoints.

I have yet to see mini racing, so I can't really comment.
Old 4 Feb 2001, 00:12 (Ref:62329)   #3
pitstopralph
Rookie

pitstopralph should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by MichaelC
Difficult to call that one. With any one-make series the racing is usually quite close, if sometimes a bit processional (Fiestas, are you listening??!!)

Never let it be said that I'm predictable, but I'm going for Clios. Something of a destruction derby sometimes, but almost always entertaining.
Elises really should be more fun than it is, but somehow usually disappoints.

I have yet to see mini racing, so I can't really comment.
Not realy ure how to work this forum yet but had to comment.
Never seen Mini7/Miglia racing ...Never lived
Old 4 Feb 2001, 11:39 (Ref:62362)   #4
Chris Y
Nature's servant
Veteran

United Kingdom
Over there, over here
Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!
Hello again Ralph, and welcome to Ten-Tenths

I agree, Mini racing of any type is usually very close and exciting, especially the Se7ens/Miglias - most of the races are clean and the drivers show each other a fair amount of respect..

Clios on the other hand are nothing short of spectacular! I don't think I've seen a boring Clio race. There's a fair amount of argy-bargy, and panel damage is more or less guaranteed. The first 4 Clio races this season finished on red flags..

I also used to like Fiesta racing, back in 1998 when it was really close, and there were about 20 cars fighting for second place Nowadays though it's become a bit more processional - I think the drivers have calmed down a bit..

I think if I had to pick one - it'd have to be the Clios. Sorry
Old 4 Feb 2001, 12:08 (Ref:62365)   #5
pitstopralph
Rookie

Fair play....We race at some of the same powertour meetings this year. Come and say hello.

Ralph
Old 4 Feb 2001, 12:08 (Ref:62366)   #6
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Minis by miles - clean racing, loads of repsect between drivers (the way it should be..).. A train of minis flying round Castle Combe lap after lap used to be the biggest event of the year.

I don't agree that panel bashing makes entertaining racing - it's meant to be a non contact sport, and for good reasons..
Old 4 Feb 2001, 21:38 (Ref:62471)   #7
RIKB
Veteran

RIKB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like the Clio's very much, I have enjoyed some (but not all) Fiesta's. I once saw one of those Proton races, It wasn't all that fast, but was quite good.

But the best for me has to be Caterham superlights. They are mad! Last race I saw, the lead changed 14 times in 20 mins.
Old 4 Feb 2001, 22:01 (Ref:62483)   #8
Sparky
Veteran

Sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Minis! Minis! Minis! Minis! Minis! Minis! Minis! Minis! Minis!

Sorry if I missed your introduction elsewhere, Ralph.
Can I infer from your posts that you are a Se7en/Miglia racer?

If so, Good stuff! Which Number? we'll come and cheer you on!!
Old 5 Feb 2001, 00:14 (Ref:62517)   #9
Chris Y
Nature's servant
Veteran

United Kingdom
Over there, over here
Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Sparky
Can I infer from your posts that you are a Se7en/Miglia racer?

If so, Good stuff! Which Number? we'll come and cheer you on!!
No. 49 Sparky! Remember - the one I borrowed at Brands last November? There's piccies in Parc Ferme in case you've forgotten

Old 5 Feb 2001, 09:40 (Ref:62550)   #10
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Its really a toss up between, Mini's and Tuscans in the UK, they're completely different but both are fantastic. Mini's being super close and (usually) clean, and Tuscans, well, one on its own is exciting to watch, 40 together are just mind blowing

How long is to the start of the season?
Old 5 Feb 2001, 21:10 (Ref:62715)   #11
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
A very warm welcome to 10 Tenths, Ralph, hope you can stick around. Have you read Chris' novel about his exploits at Brands in your car last year ? I've just finished reading it this week...

For my money, my fave has to be the Elf RenaultSport UK Clio Cup, but then again, I have just been given the email address webmaster@cliosport.com...

(although I was really rather impressed with the Euro V6 Trophy cars at Donny last year )
Old 5 Feb 2001, 21:36 (Ref:62722)   #12
pitstopralph
Rookie

Chris Chris Chris Chris

Mate.
I can't believe you've never let me see a copy of the article. I really enjoyed reading it. We race at Mallory together this year you will always be welcome at our "van"
Any other readers that fancy a go we always have Se7ens and Miglias for hire.

LOok forward to meeting you all.

P.S Didn't I look after Rick Pearson a couple of times in a Caterham. Wasn't it me that he made write Rick in tipex on the roll bar so that his name would show up when he was carrying the eurosport camara. [Maybe not]
Old 5 Feb 2001, 21:48 (Ref:62725)   #13
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Ralph, I heard stories of the no 49 mini being retrieved from a Silverstone gravel trap, tarted up a bit and shipped to Brands for 'our Chris' to play with. If you keep advertising your cars for hire, you might get someone like myself having a go and likely doing a lot more damage than sticking it in the beach

BTW, the Caterham story sounds like Rick!
Old 5 Feb 2001, 22:05 (Ref:62731)   #14
pitstopralph
Rookie

Craig

It wasn't a gravel trap it was a wall.

Come and have a go.

Ralph
Old 5 Feb 2001, 22:10 (Ref:62733)   #15
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Ouch!

You make a good salesman...
Old 5 Feb 2001, 22:32 (Ref:62734)   #16
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to say I was a Vectra fan - lots of 'incidents' there but the Clios have filled the gap very nicely!!
Fiestas are a little slow but fun to watch (especially those at the back!) but I am afraid minis are just TOO slow.
Old 5 Feb 2001, 22:33 (Ref:62735)   #17
Chris Y
Nature's servant
Veteran

United Kingdom
Over there, over here
Quote:
Originally posted by pitstopralph
I can't believe you've never let me see a copy of the article. I really enjoyed reading it.
I thought you'd hate it! Sorry mate, I was going to send you an email, but I just completely forgot because I'm so disorganised

We race at Mallory together this year you will always be welcome at our "van"

Ooh cool! You may have to put up with the rest of the Ten-Tenths lot though.. Actually - you did meet Craig at Brands last year.. He was most probably wearing an England cricket shirt

Looking forward to Mallory now - unless I see you at a Se7en meeting before that
Old 5 Feb 2001, 22:49 (Ref:62739)   #18
Sparky
Veteran

Sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Les
...but I am afraid minis are just TOO slow.
Steady on Les! The Ten-Tenths Mini Enthusiasts Group are growing in number!

The Miglias are some of the best racing I've ever seen. (Especially the Miglia/Se7en race at Mini@40, Silverstone.)

It's not all about speed, (although if there is little in the way of neck 'n' neck racing, it helps) Miglias offer fair, close racing and these cars are as technically advanced as SuperTourers these days!

Minis! Minis! Minis! Minis! Minis! Minis! Minis! Minis! Minis!
Old 6 Feb 2001, 11:22 (Ref:62839)   #19
pitstopralph
Rookie

A decent miglia will do the 0-60 in about 4 secs. Slow are you sure you've seen them race?

Ralph.
Old 6 Feb 2001, 12:49 (Ref:62854)   #20
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I reckon a Miglia would stuff a Clio round Brands Indy circuit - what are the lap times??
Old 6 Feb 2001, 13:33 (Ref:62861)   #21
MGF
Racer

MGF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mini's get my vote along with the Tuscans.

Also, I like (takes a deep breath and waits for the torrent of abuse and ridicule) the MGF Trophy... I'm sure that this year will be better for the series.
Old 7 Feb 2001, 12:04 (Ref:63112)   #22
MGF
Racer

Shock Horror!!! Doth nobody want to taketh a swipe at the MG's?
Old 7 Feb 2001, 12:10 (Ref:63116)   #23
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Nope, there's no need.

I've been at trackside. I've seen the kinds of swipes they give and take amongst themselves!

Most entertaining it is, too.
Old 7 Feb 2001, 12:11 (Ref:63117)   #24
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
I own one..

I used to really enjoy the MG midget Halfords series, racing was never very good but the cars were interesting and pretty unique.. last years MGOC series was good too.

I thought the MGF's were running with the MGCC series this year??
Old 7 Feb 2001, 12:19 (Ref:63119)   #25
MGF
Racer

I'm not sure where or when they are racing this year, details seem to be rather scarce.

P.S mine's a BRG, what yours Dan?