Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 22 May 2004, 05:41 (Ref:978381)   #1
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Indy 500 memories (The IRL years)

Ok guys , lets have a look we have had 8 Indy 500's run under the IRL banner , what are your best memories of these years ?

was it 96 with lazier taking his increddible win (My personal fav) or last year with helio trying to chase down Gil deFerran in the final laps.

where you at any of these races ?

so whats your greatest memory from the IRL years ?

Get posting

P.S this is not going to fall into a Cart v's IRl thread , I will post a similar thread in the Cart forum if you want to discuss pre 96 500's

feel free to head to this thread to discuss the cart years.

Last edited by marcus; 22 May 2004 at 05:48.
Old 22 May 2004, 08:58 (Ref:978527)   #2
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Buddy Lazier's win was incredible - with a broken back he still came out on top. Amazing.
Old 22 May 2004, 09:14 (Ref:978541)   #3
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I haven't seen any of the early IRL Indy 500's - the 2002 farce was the first one I had a chance to see in full. Seeing Kenny Bräck drink the milk during the news reels here in Sweden from the 1999 race was pretty special though (for obvious reasons)

Perhaps I should say "Haven't seen any early races - yet, anyway" though - I'm looking at getting some 10-15 Indy 500 tapes in the next coming weeks, with several of the 1996-2003 races included
Old 22 May 2004, 12:03 (Ref:978663)   #4
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
I don't think of any of the recent runs as "classics" but Lazier's win was truly a great story.

Helio's enthusiasm concerning winning though to me has been "the story." Why? Because finally we got to see some of the emotion and feeling that drivers have for this unique race and it (to me) has helped rebuild the prestige of the race.

For a time (and let's be honest) those early fields were not real deep in talent. That story has changed with the influx of the top teams from CART (Penske, Ganassi et al) and their drivers.

Last year was a bit of an odd one with the controversy with PT and I do not wish to get into that here so I will simply say I think this year The Race has all the ingredients to be a real gem. There are some terrific driver/team combos out there and some great one-off efforts (R. Gordon) to make it more interesting.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 22 May 2004, 12:38 (Ref:978737)   #5
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnSSC
Last year was a bit of an odd one with the controversy with PT and I do not wish to get into that here so I will simply say I think this year The Race has all the ingredients to be a real gem. There are some terrific driver/team combos out there and some great one-off efforts (R. Gordon) to make it more interesting.
The Paul Tracy fiasco was in 2002 - Gil de Ferran won the 2003 race, a win I think was a real "feel good" win, being his first race returning from injuring his back at Phoenix.

Hmm, flashbacks to 1996 and Lazier, now that I think of it (although Lazier was hurt worse in his crash).
Old 22 May 2004, 12:47 (Ref:978761)   #6
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
97 was an interesting year , we had a rain delay and then the race started only for it to rain again , then it was held the next day and it was the first year of the spec IRL chassis and they were very unreliable back then , there was the Jim Guthrie story ending in tears for him and his wife Missy after a brave attempt.

In the end I have no idea who won it off the top of my head now , I will have to pull the tape out and watch it again.

I also remember Steve Kinser made his Indy debut that year , a legend of dirt tracks and sprint cars and done a decent job at Indy but wasnt as spectacular as on dirt
Old 22 May 2004, 14:11 (Ref:978844)   #7
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not a good memory but a memory just the same:

I was one happy fan when my man Scott Sharp took the MBNA pole in 2001, and promptly threw it away by hitting the wall on the first turn, of the first lap of the race! Major dohhhh!

How do you possibly live that one down, and race again? I would have cried like a baby for weeks!

Danica Patrick
Old 22 May 2004, 14:23 (Ref:978855)   #8
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally posted by GP Racer
Not a good memory but a memory just the same:

I was one happy fan when my man Scott Sharp took the MBNA pole in 2001, and promptly threw it away by hitting the wall on the first turn, of the first lap of the race! Major dohhhh!

How do you possibly live that one down, and race again? I would have cried like a baby for weeks!
That wasn't nearly as bad as Roberto Guerrero spinning into the inner backstretch wall, from the pole, during the pacelaps before the start in 1992 though.

True, that was before the IRL era, but I think thought it was worth mentioning because, frankly, it has to be one of the most embarrassing moments ever experienced at Indy
Old 22 May 2004, 14:28 (Ref:978864)   #9
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
I stand corrected! When you get to my age everything was "last year" as I am simply happy to still be here to remember any of it...Thanks Rustyfan!

Either way I am glad that that particular bit of unpleasantness is behind us...
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 22 May 2004, 18:03 (Ref:978995)   #10
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Arie Luyendyk's four-lap qualifying run in 1996, barely a whisker shy of 237mph.

How long do you suppose that record will stand?
Leon Duray's 1928 run at 122.4 stood for eleven years. The guy to beat him, Jimmy Snyder, ran 130.1 and that stood for seven more years. Those were war years, though, and perhaps the race didn't take place for a few of them? Since then, no record other than Arie's has lasted more than four years.
Old 22 May 2004, 18:25 (Ref:979005)   #11
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
To be honest macdaddy I thought they were way too fast then. Too many bad things can happen at 237 at that track so I hope the rules commitees of whoever sanctions the race in the future keep the speeds well below that record.

Arie could be fast at Indy, as could Jim Crawford, but you gotta wonder what Tom Sneva in his prime or Danny Ongais (the flyin' Hawaiian!!) in his prime could have done there with the rule package Arie set the record with.

Ongais is still the fastest driver I have ever seen.
Old 22 May 2004, 18:36 (Ref:979009)   #12
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
I agree with 237 being, simply, too fast.
But, as I mentioned, records are made to be broken!
If the IRL adopts a more road-course-friendly chassis package, then perhaps Arie's record will stand for many more years to come... Having spent a decade at MIS, fast is fast regardless. From one year to the next, you couldn't tell if the cars were 5mph faster or slower than the year before. The important thing, IMO, is simply to remain (significantly) quicker than NASCAR. And, obviously, to remain as safe as possible while doing it.

Sorry, marcus, for having brought your thread somewhat off-topic.
May I bring it even more off-topic by wishing you a happy 30th birthday?
Old 22 May 2004, 19:26 (Ref:979031)   #13
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ahhh, 30, it was a great year... HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARCUS!

Danica Patrick
Old 22 May 2004, 20:25 (Ref:979063)   #14
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would have to say the one IRL Indy500 that sticks in my mind is Montoya's win in 2000. A rather boring race actually but a really impressive win for Montoya. Lead 167 of 200 laps and won by 7+ seconds. On an Oval that is a lifetime. The guy is just a pure racer and always impressive to watch.
The PT/Helio mess also sticks in my mind ,however for all the wrong reasons. I'll just leave it at that.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 22 May 2004, 21:52 (Ref:979119)   #15
racefanatic
Racer

United States
Mindy
racefanatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by marcus
97 was an interesting year , we had a rain delay and then the race started only for it to rain again , then it was held the next day and it was the first year of the spec IRL chassis and they were very unreliable back then , there was the Jim Guthrie story ending in tears for him and his wife Missy after a brave attempt.

In the end I have no idea who won it off the top of my head now , I will have to pull the tape out and watch it again.

I also remember Steve Kinser made his Indy debut that year , a legend of dirt tracks and sprint cars and done a decent job at Indy but wasnt as spectacular as on dirt
Yeah, 1997 was fun - the race went on until Tuesday and I got to miss school! Arie Luyendyk won but I was cheering for Tony Stewart!

P.S. Happy Birthday Marcus!

Last edited by racefanatic; 22 May 2004 at 21:54.
Old 22 May 2004, 22:02 (Ref:979130)   #16
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Happy birthday Marcus!
Old 22 May 2004, 22:33 (Ref:979147)   #17
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
Oh man! Tony Stewart! What a monster he was out there! I miss him in Open Wheel.

Marcus - 30 - you are almost all grown up now!!!

Happy Birthday!
Old 23 May 2004, 00:36 (Ref:979216)   #18
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by marcus

Arie Luyendyk won in 1997....I'm STILL a little water-logged from the two straight days of rain...

Jim Crawford was very fast that day as well....as was Jeff Ward....

When those deep-throated nornally-aspirated V-8's came down the front straight to take the green, a new catch-phrase started spreading through the crowd...

"No More Whining at Indy!"

I damn near got a T-Shirt that said that I liked it so much!

I liked the 1999 race....a lot of emotion in those final laps when Robby Gordon ran out of fuel when he had the race in his pocket....clearly the fastest guy on the track...

But his crew felt there would be another yellow and he did not pit at about 169 during the last yellow of the race....he had pitted about 6 laps before....all he would have needed was a splash and go to top it off...he would have left the pits in the lead....

But 20/20 hindsight is always right on the money, isn't it...

It is one reason why I hope Robby wins Indy....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 23 May 2004, 11:31 (Ref:979628)   #19
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
I died when he ran out of gas.

If there is one guy I would like to see win this race it is him.
Old 23 May 2004, 17:02 (Ref:980190)   #20
drdisque
Veteran

Antarctica
Chicago
drdisque should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
my favorite winner of the IRL era was definitely Cheever. Something about an owner-driver sponsored by a small potato chip company winning the indy 500 sorta makes me smile.

the '99 race was definitely the most intense of the IRL era.

I didn't like how Goodyear whined so much at the end of the '97 race, he clearly lost, and I wasn't even a huge luyendyk fan. I was on a field trip that day and my mom was driving, I forced the other kids in the car to listen to it the whole way back and got home in time to see the end.
Old 23 May 2004, 18:30 (Ref:980258)   #21
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Goodyear whined after the 95 race, too. He was fresh out-of-the-car, I'm sure emotions were extremely high, and so I can understand it. "I'm sure thw world knows who the real winner is." But I remain a big Scott Goodyear fan. Seems like a nice guy, he's Canadian, and he won both of the first two motorraces that I ever attended. (Michigan, in 92 and 94). Perhaps he should have put me on payroll and brought me on the tour as a good-luck charm? Afterall, he was 2-for-2 when macdaddy was in the grandstand!

I'll never forget the race in 2001. I was to start Sunday's production shift at work, I was the only one with a key, and I showed up over an hour late. The other guys were quite upset, standing around in the parking lot waiting for me. But there was no way I could leave my television. If I remember correctly, the race was running late because of a rain delay? At any rate, it was (surprisngly) Penske's first 1-2 finish, and at the time I was a HUGE fan of both the team and every one of their drivers. Just ask my dog, Penske. I bought a celebratory pizza for the guys at work that night, and all was well.

Last edited by macdaddy; 23 May 2004 at 18:34.
Old 24 May 2004, 21:36 (Ref:981877)   #22
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Personally, I think THIS YEAR will be one that many will talk about in the "Future Threads" of this nature...

Realistically, there are at least 12, and more like 15 cars that could win the race this year....as competitive as I can ever remember it being....

I can't wait until next Sunday....

Old 24 May 2004, 21:38 (Ref:981879)   #23
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Northcutt
I can't wait until next Sunday....
Me neither - should be great

Of course, I'll have to wait until I get the race on DVD from England, seeing as there is no live coverage of the race here in Sweden...
Old 24 May 2004, 21:48 (Ref:981895)   #24
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
If you don't get visual coverage, do you get radio????

The IMS radio Netowrk goes to many, many countries around the world via "Voice Of America" and other radio networks....

They "black out" the Race telecast here for a 75 mile circumferenece around the City....we can watch a tape of the ABC telecast at 7 p.m. the night of the Race itself....

many people use their satellite dishes to pick up an uncut ABC feed or another satellite feed for foreign lans (Like Japan) and listen to the radio broadcast of the Race on radio for the sound...

I always watch the taped version that night...even though I was there in person just hours earlier...

Old 25 May 2004, 06:46 (Ref:982200)   #25
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
I hate to go off-topic twice in the same thread, but I must...
Happy birthday, DownFOrce!
When I was your age, I was half my age!