Home  
Site Partners: Veloce Books OldRacingCars.com  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History > The Driver Files

Old 3 Mar 2006, 15:10 (Ref:1803631)   #1
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Ludwig, Klaus

Klaus Ludwig must go down as one of the most versatile drivers and one of the all time greats with a 'roof over his head.' He excelled in vitually any prototype he was asked to drive, or a touring car. Always a frontrunner.

Last edited by John Turner; 2 Jan 2007 at 16:01. Reason: Driver Files edit.
Old 3 Mar 2006, 15:20 (Ref:1803632)   #2
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Thank you, chunterer. I have been trying to put a name to a face for a couple of days, in order to mention him here, but it completely eluded me. Yes, indeed, Klaus Ludwig, great driver. He never really wanted to retire did he?

Last edited by John Turner; 2 Jan 2007 at 16:02. Reason: Driver Files edit.
Old 3 Mar 2006, 15:34 (Ref:1803633)   #3
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Yes John,

If we look back at his achievements they must rank as equivalent in points/titles and overall successes with any F1 superstar.

I can go back to the late 70's (but you might be able to tell us a bit about what he did before that? )

He won and was always on the pace with:

The Grp 5 Zakspeed Capri's, (still got a Burago 1:24 scale Liqui Moly one somewhere!) often humbling the more powerful but awkward Kremer Porsches.

The Zakspeed developed C100 which was succesful in Interserie if not WSC and dropped before it really got going!!

Numerous successes with Joest 956/962's including Le Mans/Group C and USA/IMSAGTP

Eggenberger's RS500's in the ETC and DTM

ITC/DTM with Mercedes then Opel

And to round it off as quick as any of the young guns in the bizarre Merc CLK- GTR!

Now that's a driver!!!
Old 6 Mar 2006, 10:35 (Ref:1803634)   #4
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agreed Ludwig was mega in roofed cars, not quite so great in single seaters tho'. He struggled in F2 in 76 for example, with an up to date March, then also the next year in the awful Kahusen, which had won the series the year before.
Old 6 Mar 2006, 10:59 (Ref:1803635)   #5
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Thanks Dan, I'd always wanted to know bit more about what he did 'before he was famous'!!

Sounds like a similar story for a number of drivers who've made it outside of top line single seaters.

How many years did Ludwig toil away in single seaters before realising there were better options for him to achieve success?
Old 7 Nov 2009, 13:46 (Ref:2577628)   #6
markjtaylor
Rookie

United Kingdom
South Nutfield SURREY
markjtaylor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember seeing him win at Le Mans with the Whittington Brothers, who funded the operation. Interesting, some years later these brothers turned out to be Drug Barons and were locked up for several years, this time for pedalling drugs, not a 935!!