Old 21 Mar 2008, 15:50 (Ref:2158249)   #1
Dennis de Rooy
Rookie

Netherlands
Amersfoort, the Netherlands
Dennis de Rooy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Choosing suspension hardware

Hi Guys,

I've been lurking here for a while and found tons of interesting info. I'm planning to build my own front suspension for my Alfa Romeo 75 2.0 TS. This car has a torsion bar setup on the front from the factory, but this has long gone and I'm running a coilover setup. To lose the heavy a-arms and to correct the geometry (which is terrible on a racing car running 7cm of ground clearance) I want to start building my own. I've read some very interesting pointers here and I hope you guys can help me out with this.

My first problem is the tubing. I would like to use 25crmo4 tubing (for strength/weight), but what diameter is safe on a 910 kg car? 20x1,5 mm? Or is that overkill?

The next one are the bearings. I would like to adjust camber on the lower ball joint location (and use the rod end under the upright). What kind of rod end do I need to withstand the forces? Or should I use a uniball and adjust camber on the top of the upright? The front static weight is about 250 kg per wheel. The bearings on the lower arm (where it attaches to the chassis) would be regular ball bearings.

Here is a pic of somebodies home brewed suspension to give you guys an idea of the setup.

Any pointers are appreciated and if you know a online shop for this stuff, great.
Cheers, Dennis