Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Closed Thread

Old 17 Aug 2012, 18:34 (Ref:3121156)   #26
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Gilham has said he plans to be running a pair of NGTC cars next, I'm not sure he's said anything about building them. I would be very surprised if the team did build their own cars.

Robb Holland has said he is looking to run in BTCC full time next year but has also mentioned looking at WTCC and various other options. At the minute he has involvement from HPD (Honda's US racing arm) so if he stays in BTCC I don't expect to see him in anything other than a Civic.
Old 17 Aug 2012, 18:50 (Ref:3121158)   #27
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Clive Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewC96 View Post
I do honk will bratt could of done well
What is this in English, please?
Old 17 Aug 2012, 19:10 (Ref:3121165)   #28
Aunt Sally
Veteran

Aunt Sally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
Gilham has said he plans to be running a pair of NGTC cars next, I'm not sure he's said anything about building them. I would be very surprised if the team did build their own cars..
That's what I heard also Redshoes.
Old 17 Aug 2012, 20:18 (Ref:3121179)   #29
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Any rumours what brand?
Old 17 Aug 2012, 20:52 (Ref:3121188)   #30
MatthewC96
Rookie

MatthewC96 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive Brown View Post
What is this in English, please?
Sorry lol is was using my iPod, what I meant to say was that will bratt could of have been promising in the rounds coming up
Old 17 Aug 2012, 20:53 (Ref:3121189)   #31
Pettersson
Racer

Sweden
Pettersson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by markreeves View Post
Correct
http://www.touringcartimes.com/article.php?id=7426

They sold the two cars with NGTC engines in which Boardman and Newsham drove last year
As I've understood it, only Santosh Berggren's car is Newsham's 2011 car. Appelqvist's Leon is one of Brovallen's old cars.
Old 17 Aug 2012, 23:15 (Ref:3121216)   #32
markreeves
Racer

England
Hull
markreeves should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pettersson View Post
As I've understood it, only Santosh Berggren's car is Newsham's 2011 car. Appelqvist's Leon is one of Brovallen's old cars.
As I understand it both cars were bought with NGTC engines already fitted, which the only team to have these was STR I could be wrong, also the article says that the cars were bought from england
Old 18 Aug 2012, 11:12 (Ref:3121330)   #33
Jiiiiiiim
Veteran

England
Devon
Jiiiiiiim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=redshoes;3121156]Gilham has said he plans to be running a pair of NGTC cars next, I'm not sure he's said anything about building them. I would be very surprised if the team did build their own cars.

I'll agree with that, Gilham still looking at options for best deal/way forward with what NGTC cars will be available for 2013, hence checking out the Thorney Insignia and discussing future options with Rob Austin with the A4's.

Holland seems to want to stay with Team Hard for next year but I think that depends on what they run if he is still being backed by HPD!

Can't see Team Hard building there own cars (yet anyway), they do have big plans and are looking at adding more of the TOCA package to their forays!
Old 18 Aug 2012, 12:40 (Ref:3121342)   #34
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiiiiiiim View Post
Can't see Team Hard building there own cars (yet anyway), they do have big plans and are looking at adding more of the TOCA package to their forays!
I know this has been questioned before but I just don't understand where this is all coming from. 12 months ago Gilham was struggling to find the budget to buy a BTCC seat for himself, now he's running a BTCC team, multiple VW Cup cars, a Clio Cup car, plus being able to buy himself a ride in a rival BTCC squad. Next years there's talk of more Clio or a move into Porsche Cup, plus the one-off BTCC legends shoot-out he's trying to organise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiiiiiiim View Post
Holland seems to want to stay with Team Hard for next year but I think that depends on what they run if he is still being backed by HPD!
If Holland does stay then Civics seem inevitable. Dynamics have always said they would be prepared to build more customer cars, and even if they don't I would expect them to build two new cars for next year and sell this year's cars.

Other than that options are fairly limited.
- You could go to GPR and get them to build something for you but given their track record so far I don't see that option being top of anyone's list.
- I don't know if the MG/KX/888 deal extends beyond this year, which obviously has an impact on whether 888 build new cars for next year or not. If the deal does continue and there are willing buyers then it makes financial sense for 888 to build extra cars.
- I'm sure Thorney would be more than happy to cut their loses and sell the Vauxhall(s?) for the right price but would you want a car that even the team who built it can't get to grips with?
- I wouldn't be hugely surprised to see the RAR Audis on the market if someone makes them the right offer. With RAR's lack of budget and appalling luck this year it's difficult to see the true potential of the cars and how much development is still needed.
- Not sure about the availability of the Dynojet and Speedworks Toyotas. I could be wrong but I'm expecting the teams to stick with those cars for another year. Same with the Welch Proton.
- Motorbase are a latecomer to the game and have said they may be prepared to build customer cars. WSR haven't said anything but assuming the rumours of them building a BMW NGTC are correct I'm sure they would willing to build extra cars if the demand was there.
Old 18 Aug 2012, 12:59 (Ref:3121345)   #35
tin-top fan
Rookie

England
tin-top fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
- I don't know if the MG/KX/888 deal extends beyond this year, which obviously has an impact on whether 888 build new cars for next year or not. If the deal does continue and there are willing buyers then it makes financial sense for 888 to build extra cars.
From the initial press release from triple eight:

Quote:
Ian Harrison remains the only one of three directors who set up the company alongside former F1 racer Derek Warwick and Roland Dane in charge today and he admits he wants to add to the success of the team straight away despite a 3 year deal and said, “We’ve got a three-year programme here – that’s not to say we want to wait until ‘year three’ to win. The objective is to go out and challenge straight away.”
(my emphasis)

I think honda also have a similar three year deal with Yuasa title sponsorship, which is good news for the championship
Old 20 Aug 2012, 19:31 (Ref:3122239)   #36
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by markreeves View Post
As I understand it both cars were bought with NGTC engines already fitted, which the only team to have these was STR I could be wrong, also the article says that the cars were bought from england
I asked Appelqvist at Mantorp last month, and he said he was still using Brovallen's old SEAT. He was hoping to get the STR car pretty soon, though.
Old 21 Aug 2012, 15:13 (Ref:3122571)   #37
Tja
Racer

Tja should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Magnusson View Post
I asked Appelqvist at Mantorp last month, and he said he was still using Brovallen's old SEAT. He was hoping to get the STR car pretty soon, though.
Interesting, does anyone remember what happened, when O'Young's car burnt down at Monza? If I remember correctly, his chassis was taken to SEAT in Spain to be rebuilt, but was his car replaced by one of the ex-BTCC cars from STR?
Old 22 Aug 2012, 16:27 (Ref:3123084)   #38
Thorney
Racer

Thorney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
- I'm sure Thorney would be more than happy to cut their loses and sell the Vauxhall(s?) for the right price but would you want a car that even the team who built it can't get to grips with?
Fair point I guess but Snetterton did show we'd got the car sorted with Tony getting into the top three speed traps and top 5 in sectors with near zero seat time. I'd say we'd sorted the car now nicely and would be a race winning car with a little more time.

We do want to sell cars (perhaps not the whole project) and I think the Insignia ia viable now for other teams to consider.
Old 22 Aug 2012, 16:45 (Ref:3123095)   #39
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorney View Post
Fair point I guess but Snetterton did show we'd got the car sorted with Tony getting into the top three speed traps and top 5 in sectors with near zero seat time. I'd say we'd sorted the car now nicely and would be a race winning car with a little more time.

We do want to sell cars (perhaps not the whole project) and I think the Insignia ia viable now for other teams to consider.
Not going against the Insignia (car still looks awesome), but would the Astra(or GTC) had a chance of being in NGTC?
Old 22 Aug 2012, 17:10 (Ref:3123101)   #40
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Rosputnik View Post
Not going against the Insignia (car still looks awesome), but would the Astra(or GTC) had a chance of being in NGTC?
Astra GTC isn't allowed, as three door cars need to be the same shape as the 4-5 door model.

Astra hatch is possible, but the whole point was to encourage saloon-style cars like the Insignia and Avensis, though Honda prefer to promote the Civic and Motorbase similarly chose the Focus - would make little sense to go with the Mondeo as it's soon to be replaced.
Old 22 Aug 2012, 19:52 (Ref:3123157)   #41
Icebaby
Veteran

Icebaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Based on 2012 a few drivers don't deserve to be in the BTCC based on merit alone. Back in 2009 WSR were a force but appear to have been left standing. 2013 will be a make or break year for them as they cannot continue running old stock now.
MG need to decide what is imprortant for them to win at the end of the season, Shedden IMO needs to leave Dymanics, Paul O'Neill needs to be given a full time drive.

What has happened to Techspeed and the Cruzes along with John George?
I am also suprised no one has bought the 4th Vectra that Smith used last year.
Old 22 Aug 2012, 20:33 (Ref:3123178)   #42
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Have you not got that record player fixed yet Icebaby?
Old 22 Aug 2012, 20:49 (Ref:3123193)   #43
Thorney
Racer

Would love to run an Astra GTC but as has been said, it's not eligible for Btcc as not the same roofline as the 4 door. Insignia was picked for a few reasons:

1. Aerodynamics, it's brilliant, best on the grid in race trim, second only to the Audi in road trim and other than the Honda the only car to see a wind tunnel in race spec. With TOCA engines being standardised we decided that aero would be a telling feature as ngtc develops, Snetterton confirmed that with top three speed traps with low boost and compromised corner exit speed.

2. Weight. Insignia shell as standard is heavy but a lot of weight can be removed, once we were done we were the lightest shell prepared, lighter than all the Toyotas, the Audis and even the Proton. Generally the more weight you take out the more you compromise the rigidity but this is dealt with by

3. Ngtc cages are spec, we all have to run the same design and frankly it is massively over engineered, it's over twice the weight of an S2000 cage for example, it's overkill and then some. However this over engineering meant we could hack the Insignia shell to pieces and still retain stiffness. At Lola (before the HMRC killed them) deflection tests on the shaker rig were near zero.

We researched this for a long time before selecting the Insignia, it wasn't pure luck or marketing.
Old 23 Aug 2012, 11:06 (Ref:3123483)   #44
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!

Team Dynamics going prototype racing?
http://tentenths.com/forum/showpost....&postcount=900

Old 23 Aug 2012, 11:13 (Ref:3123487)   #45
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewC96 View Post
What about gilhams civic or boardmans seat?
I really can't see anybody using an S2000 in the BTCC next year... the performance differential could be such that they'll end up being lapped on a regular basis. There really is no point at all.
Old 23 Aug 2012, 11:47 (Ref:3123513)   #46
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shame about the Astra GTC, I'd love to see one out racing in touring car racing sometime. (Just like the Scirocco, WRX, Megane or an Alpina...) At least it's still great to the see the Insignia doing the business!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post

Team Dynamics going prototype racing?
http://tentenths.com/forum/showpost....&postcount=900

MY EYES BLEED WITH THE FURY OF A THOUSAND SUNS!
Old 23 Aug 2012, 14:06 (Ref:3123573)   #47
Thorney
Racer

Plan is to build a GTC for Britcar next season, should be a lot cheaper than a BTCC car!
Old 23 Aug 2012, 14:26 (Ref:3123580)   #48
snowen250
Veteran

snowen250 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is that your plan Thorney or team dynamics?

If yours that sounds interesting, what car would you use as a base? And do you still have that VX220? That always looked so cool!

Simon
Old 23 Aug 2012, 19:30 (Ref:3123714)   #49
BtccLee
Veteran

BtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorney View Post
Plan is to build a GTC for Britcar next season, should be a lot cheaper than a BTCC car!
And leave the BTCC? Might it be worth finishing one project properly before starting another?
Old 23 Aug 2012, 19:41 (Ref:3123717)   #50
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by BtccLee View Post
And leave the BTCC? Might it be worth finishing one project properly before starting another?
I imagine finances have a significant influence on what's best to do over what they'd prefer to do.
Closed Thread