Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 30 Jan 2016, 12:21 (Ref:3609233)   #2776
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's probably about the engine bay themselves.

IMSA would probably want a big enough engine bay so they can fit as many engine combination like a Audi V10 or a Chevy V8. So the sizes of the chassis engine bay might have to be universally the same.

I don't think it's about aerokits because they'll be removed for LeMans anyway. And the biggest difference between the P2 cars and the DPIs is going to be the engine.

The WEC will probably want some sort of limitations so they can easily BoP the P2 and the DPIs more easily.
Old 30 Jan 2016, 17:53 (Ref:3609319)   #2777
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
I already know that some people probably think that DPi (Daytona Prototype international, and international in that DPs will use ACO spec chassis from next year onwards) ought to be called DPM (DP Modernized).

However, when I hear the terms DP and DPM, I don't think of IMSA or Grand Am prototype cars, but rather Russian light machine guns used in the pre- and World War II period and are still found around the world:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Degtyaryov_machine_gun

I think that IMSA and ISC are doing this because the ACO call their prototypes LMP cars after Le Mans, and IMSA/ISC feel they should also name their prototypes after a race track.
Old 30 Jan 2016, 18:36 (Ref:3609338)   #2778
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
I already know that some people probably think that DPi (Daytona Prototype international, and international in that DPs will use ACO spec chassis from next year onwards) ought to be called DPM (DP Modernized).

However, when I hear the terms DP and DPM, I don't think of IMSA or Grand Am prototype cars, but rather Russian light machine guns used in the pre- and World War II period and are still found around the world:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Degtyaryov_machine_gun

I think that IMSA and ISC are doing this because the ACO call their prototypes LMP cars after Le Mans, and IMSA/ISC feel they should also name their prototypes after a race track.
They're just IMSA P2s to me.
Old 30 Jan 2016, 19:21 (Ref:3609353)   #2779
Danske
Veteran

Danske should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullMan View Post
They're just IMSA P2s to me.
Which are also racing in the same class at the same time as WEC P2s.
Old 31 Jan 2016, 12:08 (Ref:3609901)   #2780
Lizardfolk
Rookie

Taiwan
Lizardfolk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can someone confirm or deny something I thought heard by Hindy on the 24hr broadcast?

Did Bentley confirm that they are not coming on board for 2017 P2s after all? I think i could have sworn Hindy say something like that on the broadcast but I was only semi-paying attention and he didnt revisit that point.

Did anyone else hear that Bentley is, after all, not doing 2017 IMSA P2s?
Old 31 Jan 2016, 20:59 (Ref:3610298)   #2781
Rcz
Veteran

United States
I thought he said something like it wasn't confirmed.
Old 31 Jan 2016, 22:21 (Ref:3610327)   #2782
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizardfolk View Post
Can someone confirm or deny something I thought heard by Hindy on the 24hr broadcast?

Did Bentley confirm that they are not coming on board for 2017 P2s after all? I think i could have sworn Hindy say something like that on the broadcast but I was only semi-paying attention and he didnt revisit that point.

Did anyone else hear that Bentley is, after all, not doing 2017 IMSA P2s?
It was also said that the only way such a program could go forward was if the resulting cars were salable and profitable, so it was unlikely much would happen.
Old 1 Feb 2016, 05:40 (Ref:3610405)   #2783
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
What will be the entry changes from Daytona to Sebring you think? I'm not sure about GTD. But I'll guess the pro categories:

-Subtract: 72 Ferrari 488
-Subtract: 01 Ford DP
-Subtract: 02 Ford DP
-Subtract: 37 BR01 LMP2
-Add: Dragonspeed Oreca LMP2
Old 1 Feb 2016, 05:48 (Ref:3610406)   #2784
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Dyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
What will be the entry changes from Daytona to Sebring you think? I'm not sure about GTD. But I'll guess the pro categories:

-Subtract: 72 Ferrari 488
-Subtract: 01 Ford DP
-Subtract: 02 Ford DP
-Subtract: 37 BR01 LMP2
-Add: Dragonspeed Oreca LMP2
I don't think the Frikadelli Racing Porsche (GTD) will be there, the 2nd Konrad entry (GTD) is probably a maybe, Riley/Viper Exchange will probably be down to 1 Viper (GTD), and I have no idea what Highway to Help's plans are. SMP was playing it by round so I think their BR01 might be like a 40/60 for Sebring.
Old 1 Feb 2016, 07:30 (Ref:3610419)   #2785
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rebellion is thinking about racing in IMSA in the future.

http://www.racer.com/wec-le-mans/ite...imsa-expansion

Imagine if IMSA took them away from P1(and took Toyota with them)
Old 1 Feb 2016, 13:29 (Ref:3610520)   #2786
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcz View Post
Rebellion is thinking about racing in IMSA in the future.

http://www.racer.com/wec-le-mans/ite...imsa-expansion

Imagine if IMSA took them away from P1(and took Toyota with them)
ESM winning as a partial season entry may spur further interest in the class from Rebellion and others. 2017 will be interesting though because of the new cars attrition may be key and the reliability of the new cars could be in question.
Old 1 Feb 2016, 15:13 (Ref:3610563)   #2787
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Highway to Help says they're running the 4 big races this year. They're going to be in the way so much at Sebring.
Old 1 Feb 2016, 15:18 (Ref:3610565)   #2788
Ephaeton
Veteran

Austria
Between Österreichring and Nordschleife
Ephaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Mathias Lauda also mentioned during the broadcast that they will be tackling sebring as well.
Old 1 Feb 2016, 15:18 (Ref:3610566)   #2789
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Entry changes for Sebring 12H?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyson Mazda View Post
I don't think the Frikadelli Racing Porsche (GTD) will be there, the 2nd Konrad entry (GTD) is probably a maybe, Riley/Viper Exchange will probably be down to 1 Viper (GTD), and I have no idea what Highway to Help's plans are. SMP was playing it by round so I think their BR01 might be like a 40/60 for Sebring.
SMP
- P2 is a big maybe, Rolex pole was a huge plus, race performance not so much
- GTLM entry is another big maybe, according to DSC there were no plans for SMP to run the car anywhere else but Daytona this year, perhaps Ferrari will order it to be run by Scuderia Corse as a warm up for their LM24 Pro entry (if that is granted on Friday)???

Konrad
2nd GTD entry looks likely but nothing confirmed right now, car's performance at Rolex certainly didn't hurt prospects!

Highway to something
Team have already announced a full NAEC campaign, therefor they should be back

Riley/Viper
2nd Viper is a good possibility - 3rd place for #93 at Rolex is a good start for a NAEC campaign and/or maybe Stan Knox and his Lone Star Racing will join the party?

Overall I expect to see 2-3 cars less than Daytona which leaves the car count around 50. Not too bad imo.
Old 1 Feb 2016, 15:50 (Ref:3610581)   #2790
godlameroso
Racer

godlameroso should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgodlameroso should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sebring is a much more challenging track than Daytona, and also isn't as dependent on outright grunt(and more prone to FCY's). I expect a closer fight everywhere than in Daytona.
Old 1 Feb 2016, 16:23 (Ref:3610599)   #2791
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by godlameroso View Post
Sebring is a much more challenging track than Daytona, and also isn't as dependent on outright grunt(and more prone to FCY's). I expect a closer fight everywhere than in Daytona.
Agreed, especially on the cautions - it could be 2014 all over again (!) and the current positive vibe might be over before it ever took off...

And I'm sure Corvette Racing is looking for that second bit of your statement!
Old 1 Feb 2016, 17:05 (Ref:3610614)   #2792
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Dyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by godlameroso View Post
The one thing that I will say to this point, is that the modern ACO cars were not initially designed for the banking at Daytona so it is a bit of a misfit. That is why you high attrition rates across all classes in 2014 and 2015.
Old 1 Feb 2016, 21:15 (Ref:3610701)   #2793
Coach Ep
Veteran

Any word if the Kermit Audi (FLM & Krohn) will be back for Sebring?
Old 4 Feb 2016, 19:48 (Ref:3611666)   #2794
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Nissan is considering entering the DPi class

http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/12587...ogram-for-2017
Old 4 Feb 2016, 20:13 (Ref:3611669)   #2795
Danathar
Racer

Danathar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcz View Post
Nissan is considering entering the DPi class

http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/12587...ogram-for-2017
Yup, and I think that's one of the reasons why the ACO is having issues with the DPi/P2 formula. They didn't believe that manufacturers might bolt for IMSA's DPi formula over LMP1 in the WEC.

They were dumb to think not.

The opportunity to win Daytona + Sebring and have exposure to the U.S. market at a tenth of the cost of building an LMP1 and racing in the WEC is really enticing I bet.
Old 4 Feb 2016, 20:24 (Ref:3611671)   #2796
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
It's a prototype gt3 type structure with less choices of chassis. Looks like a big boom of interest, but I don't see it happening. There's going to be a catch. Too many cooks in the kitchen want their say and I don't think IMSA/NASCAR know who to listen to. They should ignore the ACO and go about their own way. I can see a GTP/GROUP C type clash if this falls through.
Old 4 Feb 2016, 20:33 (Ref:3611674)   #2797
Danathar
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
It's a prototype gt3 type structure with less choices of chassis. Looks like a big boom of interest, but I don't see it happening. There's going to be a catch. Too many cooks in the kitchen want their say and I don't think IMSA/NASCAR know who to listen to. They should ignore the ACO and go about their own way. I can see a GTP/GROUP C type clash if this falls through.
Agree, and we all know how THAT turned out

I think IMSA knows it needs to be related in some way to international specs to attract teams from overseas, enough so that an overseas team can be BoP'd with IMSA specific car types. The way fan's look down on Daytona Prototypes demonstrate that they can't go back that route of being too spec.

Using the p2 as a base and then enhancing it seems to be the way to go, although that is walking a mighty thin tightrope.

I'd love to see LMP1 in IMSA again, but the costs are just too darn high.
Old 4 Feb 2016, 20:37 (Ref:3611675)   #2798
Danathar
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
There is already talk of letting Nissan take the same route as Mazda by letting them use the engine from the failed LMP1 car.

If they let two manufacturers do it, you can bet GM will want to develop a bespoke engine as well.
Old 4 Feb 2016, 20:54 (Ref:3611677)   #2799
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
And then everyone wants their own bespoke racing engine. Then the manufacturer's get upset because their engine has to be pegged back to play nice with a production based one. Then there's the chassis issue which will probably be a talking point about bop also. It looks like a good idea, but then it'll be dumbed down or we'll either end up with a Audi like spending spree or a big disagreement between manufacturers and other interested parties (aco) that ruins the class. I hope not, but that's how I envision this.
Old 4 Feb 2016, 21:05 (Ref:3611682)   #2800
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Maybe IMSA should just replace P with "Super GT3" - a name I've given to an idea that's been popping up on occasion ever since there was rumor that Super GT was going to switch to a "souped up" GT3 class for GT500 out of frustration over DTM's hesitance to switch to 2-liter turbo engines(that rumor has been debunked by both sides, though).

People really seem to like the idea - take any GT3 car, and swap the suspension to widen the track and fit bodywork not unlike the aero treatments of the old GT500 cars and open up the engines(it's believed most GT3 engines are reliably capable of as much as 200 horsepower over what they get restricted down to in the various championships) and you have GT-derived cars that can take the position of prototypes with ease.

Series loses the Le Mans tickets, but with how much disagreement there is over the P class it might actually be easier to do this. It doesn't look like the IMSA/ACO collaboration has much of a future regardless at this point.