Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 13 Mar 2003, 06:03 (Ref:534755)   #1
FPRXR-6
Racer

FPRXR-6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RPM pays tribute to Barry Sheene

Network Ten's RPM program, which returns to air this Sunday (16 March), will pay tribute to Barry Sheene in a special 90-minute episode.

Sheene sadly passed away on Monday, 10 March in a Gold Coast hospital. The 52-year-old was diagnosed with cancer late last year.

Each week on RPM in segment two, Barry joined host Bill Woods RPM to discuss the week in motorsport.

It is fitting, then, that segment two this Sunday be a dedication to the amazing life and career of Barry Sheene whose passion for motor sport, touched so many.
Old 13 Mar 2003, 08:35 (Ref:534803)   #2
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope they pay more respect to Baz than Tim Webster did when he made the announcement on Monday about his passing.

You could clearly see that robot did not give a dam at all and was pretty much ho humming the event - I have never been so offended by anything I've seen on TV before.

If it had have been one of his cricket/football/tennis/golf playing boyfriends it would have been a different story alltogether.
Old 13 Mar 2003, 08:48 (Ref:534806)   #3
Scott75
Veteran

Scott75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Buckshot you think that is terrible, in the Melbourne Herald-Sun they have a TV guide on Wednesday's and in the it had on the program for RPM as returning and being hosted with Bill Woods and Barry Scheene. I thought that was an absolute disgrace. Someone needs to be disaplined for that shocking mistake or oversite.
Old 13 Mar 2003, 08:51 (Ref:534808)   #4
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The thing that really upset me though about Tim Websters attitude is that he would have personally known baz and have spoken to him or had dealings on countless occasions as they both work in the Channel 10 Sport department !

The media really treats motorsport like a redheaded stepchild...makes me sick.

Did anyone see the article in one of the weekend editions of the Daily Telegraph were they had a photo of Williams F1 driver Juan Carlos Montoya ?

Last edited by Buckshot; 13 Mar 2003 at 08:54.
Old 13 Mar 2003, 08:55 (Ref:534811)   #5
Scott75
Veteran

Scott75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I suppose in NSW Buckshot you would get just NRL in the media, in Melbourne we have to put up with the AFL shoved in our faces. I used to like the AFL but I can't stand it now. Thank god I've got heaps of videos to watch and old mags to read to keep my motorsport passion going.
RIP Barry, you will never be forgotten.
Old 13 Mar 2003, 10:15 (Ref:534864)   #6
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott75
Buckshot you think that is terrible, in the Melbourne Herald-Sun they have a TV guide on Wednesday's and in the it had on the program for RPM as returning and being hosted with Bill Woods and Barry Scheene. I thought that was an absolute disgrace. Someone needs to be disaplined for that shocking mistake or oversite.
That's really awful...the media is bloody hopeless at times.
Old 13 Mar 2003, 12:47 (Ref:534970)   #7
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott75
I suppose in NSW Buckshot you would get just NRL in the media, in Melbourne we have to put up with the AFL shoved in our faces. I used to like the AFL but I can't stand it now. Thank god I've got heaps of videos to watch and old mags to read to keep my motorsport passion going.
RIP Barry, you will never be forgotten.
Well here we get the NRL and now thanks to Channel 10 televising the AFL we now get that rammed up our dates as well.

I can also never understand why Sports Tonight will show the NRL, the AFL, the cricket (in it's off season!), golf, tennis, yak racing and then maybe a V8 story. V8's are their sport, they helped put it where it is today yet they might give it 30 seconds at the end of Sports Tonight if you're lucky.

Somebody here has mentioned it before in another thread and it has always stuck in my head as funny - how many times did you here Matty White say during a V8 telecast last year "...and coming up on your home of motorsport - AFL !"
Old 14 Mar 2003, 10:49 (Ref:535897)   #8
nedloh
Rookie

Australia
Victoria
nedloh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My deepest sympathy and respect to the family of the Barry Sheen, Thanks Baz for what you have contribuited to our sport you are sorely missed RIP
Old 16 Mar 2003, 03:48 (Ref:537777)   #9
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Excellent job channel 10
Old 16 Mar 2003, 03:52 (Ref:537778)   #10
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Yes, well done. I think that's the hardest thing poor Billy Woods will ever have to do in his career. Gret job Bill.
Old 16 Mar 2003, 04:07 (Ref:537781)   #11
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Bill Woods did pretty well, he was teary eyed thru the whole thing

Lets hope Woodsy doesnt have to do it again any time soon
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 16 Mar 2003, 04:10 (Ref:537783)   #12
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree that Bill Woods had a very hard job, and i never thought i would see the day that the normally emotionless Woods would shed a tear. But it shows what a character Barry Sheene was that Bill Woods, Russel Ingal, others and certainly most people on this board would reduced to tears.

Well done channel 10.
Well done Bill Woods,
and goodbye Barry Sheene.
Old 16 Mar 2003, 05:11 (Ref:537800)   #13
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was alright til that sook Bill Woods started.
Old 16 Mar 2003, 05:19 (Ref:537802)   #14
golem
Veteran

golem should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's one of the bigger losses to Australian Motorsports in recent times to lose Barry Sheene, but congratulations to him on leading the life he did.

I think the way he's held himself through life is something for his family and friends to be proud and grateful for. I know alot of motorsport fans think he was about as good a guy that ever raced or got in front of the camera.
Gawky supermodels may look stunning in the right clothes, on the right catwalk, in the right city, but in an M&S jumper, on a crowded street, on a wet Wednesday afternoon, only classic good looks will catch the eye. - Ian Eveleigh.
Old 16 Mar 2003, 06:17 (Ref:537813)   #15
AussieV8
Veteran

Australia
Orange, NSW Australia
AussieV8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just watched it as my wife and I were out and I taped it.

Bill Woods did a great job in delivering such a hard and emotional segment. We have lost a great icon to this country and a forward commentator on 10 which made watching the V8 taxi's interesting.

Last edited by AussieV8; 16 Mar 2003 at 06:18.
Old 16 Mar 2003, 07:16 (Ref:537839)   #16
hearwegoagain
Rookie

hearwegoagain should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bill Woods has just aired had to do something on national television that no one reading these strings would like to have done. The dignity and pride he represented for our recently deceased icon was both moving and worthy.
Well done Bill Woods and I for one will never say a bad thing about your commentry again.
Good Bye Barry Sheene and may your bike in heaven be the one of your dreams> our great country lost a great man.
Old 16 Mar 2003, 08:28 (Ref:537865)   #17
Archer
Veteran

Archer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I feel for Bill Woods, all Barry's friends and family.

We will always remember.

Rest in peace Barry.
I support (V8): Holden, Holden Racing Team, Perkins Motorsport, #888, #2, #22, #11, #7, #3, #34, #51, #55, #33, #88, #18, #4, #5 & #1. I support (F1): Williams Toyota, Red Bull Renault, #15, #16, #23, #9 & #10.

RIP Peter Brock and Mark Porter
Old 16 Mar 2003, 10:28 (Ref:537927)   #18
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Woods did a outstanding job it was very moving

Rest in peace Barry
Old 16 Mar 2003, 10:44 (Ref:537933)   #19
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great tribute by RPM, my tear ducts struggled to stay shut during some of it. Russell look particularly upset, his message at the AGP last week to Baz, on hindsight, was really moving
Old 16 Mar 2003, 11:44 (Ref:537985)   #20
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Emotional and moving are the two words that come to mind concerning that tribute to Barry Sheene. There would not have been one dry eye in the studio or in living rooms around Australia watching that.

The ultra-professional Bill Woods was even reduced to tears, but seeing how close he and Barry were, I was surprised he even managed to get through segment one. I'm not one to bag out Woods, I think he tries his best, but my estimation of the man has gone up after getting through what must have been his toughest job ever - saying goodbye to a great mate on live TV.

All three segments dedicated to Barry's life were well-crafted and researched and purely emotional. They showed the true man Barry was - the extrovert character, the fierece competitor, the great mate and also the family man at heart.

The interviews at the end were heart-warming and glowing examples of how everyone rallies when someone so close to so many people is taken. I will agree that Russell looked particularly upset during his interview, while others such as Mick Doohan looked to be struggling to get through it at times. That was the impact of Sheene...

Barry will be missed by one and all. But he's now in heaven with giants of motorsport...
Old 16 Mar 2003, 19:21 (Ref:538257)   #21
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well done 10, and Billy.
RIP Barry.
Old 17 Mar 2003, 14:15 (Ref:538954)   #22
The Tool Man
Veteran

The Tool Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very well Done Channel 10 - Couldnt Fault it.

Felt really sad for Billy Woods to have to go on the show he has Kinda Co hosted with Baz for so long and host a tribute to the man.

Pleased to hear that the V8s will pay respect to him on the grid at Adelaide. Expected that but its great to have it confirmed. Baz was just such a great bloke- it would be hard to find ANYONE with a serious Bad thing to say about him.