Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 Mar 2003, 02:11 (Ref:549521)   #1
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
F1/CART Merger a step closer?

Well according to reports Bernie is set to wrap a 50% shareholding of the company that runs CART next monthhttp://f1.racing-live.com/en/ .This will give Bernie a monoply on top line open wheeler racing world wide.How long before they merge the 2 series together?.Would make perfect sense to have one formula world wide.As the F1 cars are being dumbed down at the moment,has there been talk in high places to already start bringing the 2 classes together with Bernies buy out in mind?.
As both Cart and F1 have been struggling lately makes a lot of sense to have a World F1,more appeal to US TV and overseas TV companies,world wide exposure for sponsors etc(and brings their money to Bernie.Would be nice to know what Bernies got in mind,I'm sure well know soon enough.
Old 27 Mar 2003, 02:22 (Ref:549530)   #2
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's a bit of a myth, that CART would give F1 better penetration in the US. The only thing Bernie really stands to gain from this is the death of a competing series, and the Long Beach GP (which he's always lamented losing to CART).
Old 27 Mar 2003, 05:26 (Ref:549603)   #3
golem
Veteran

golem should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nah, it's actually going to be called:

WWF - World Wacing Federation

Gawky supermodels may look stunning in the right clothes, on the right catwalk, in the right city, but in an M&S jumper, on a crowded street, on a wet Wednesday afternoon, only classic good looks will catch the eye. - Ian Eveleigh.
Old 27 Mar 2003, 05:33 (Ref:549609)   #4
Armco Bender
Veteran

New Zealand
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
That would be better than joining the 2 names together,
The "F" of F1 and the "ART" of CART wouldn't actually be a very appealling name for it.
Old 27 Mar 2003, 05:35 (Ref:549611)   #5
golem
Veteran

So can we get to see Barrichello get revenge by running his car off the turnbuckle onto Ralf's, and watch the two Minardi's lynch Kimi while he tussles with Pablo? That'd seriously rock.
Gawky supermodels may look stunning in the right clothes, on the right catwalk, in the right city, but in an M&S jumper, on a crowded street, on a wet Wednesday afternoon, only classic good looks will catch the eye. - Ian Eveleigh.
Old 27 Mar 2003, 12:27 (Ref:549858)   #6
Maxmil
Veteran

United States
New England, USA
Maxmil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: F1/CART Merger a step closer?

Quote:
Originally posted by Armco Bender
Well according to reports Bernie is set to wrap a 50% shareholding of the company that runs CART next monthhttp://f1.racing-live.com/en/ .
Armco Bender. Could you check that URL? I can't find this story anywhere on F1Live.

:confused:
Old 27 Mar 2003, 13:21 (Ref:549937)   #7
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Try this, Maxmil
http://f1.racing-live.com/en/index.h...27124812.shtml
Old 28 Mar 2003, 02:15 (Ref:550651)   #8
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
I hope CART doesn't disappear, be it by merging or by financial death. I prefer two or more good open wheel series, so we have the option to watch what is best for each one.

In the glory days of CART I definitively prefered to watch it that F1. Even nowadays I prefer to have two races to watch than one. I don't think an eventual "merge" (and I cannot believe seriously in it) meant anymore than good drivers without drive and good-looking cars gone.

Anyway, my prefered series currently is FIM bike races (and I mean even 250cc and 125cc). I'm really looking for the beginning of the season!
Old 28 Mar 2003, 02:48 (Ref:550668)   #9
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
There would be greater probability of Australia annexing New Zealand than Cart joining up with F1.
Old 28 Mar 2003, 04:05 (Ref:550693)   #10
Armco Bender
Veteran

New Zealand
You only want to do that so you can claim Scott Dixon as an Aussie when he wins the WDC in 2005.

Makes a lot of sense to run a common formula of car with both series though.You can still have 2 seperate series,but it would be easier for teams and drivers to interchange between them.I bet Bernie has some cunning plan like that in mind if he's sticking his hand in his pocket.
Old 28 Mar 2003, 04:31 (Ref:550701)   #11
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cart and F1 won't become 1, but Bernie may soon be one of the most influencial people in BOTH series very soon...
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 28 Mar 2003, 10:44 (Ref:550891)   #12
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hmmm, Bernie and sticking his hand in his pocket don't mix, AB...
Old 28 Mar 2003, 10:49 (Ref:550895)   #13
golem
Veteran

I believe he's been sticking his hand in his pocket for years myself...
Old 28 Mar 2003, 12:17 (Ref:550987)   #14
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If the two did join would that mean more races in the US, or even worse at ovals. Or would it just make Bernie even richer.
Old 28 Mar 2003, 13:29 (Ref:551060)   #15
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't want this to happen. CART is a differnet entity, a series with its own traditions and styles (they should stick to turbo engines running on methanol, not go over to gas, if at all possible), and has always provided more wheel-to-wheel action than F1. F1 meanwhile has its political aspects with major companies involved, and arguably the world's best racign drivers, and celebrities adding a glamour aspect. If Bernie bought into CART I ear that it would become a homogenised clone, probably aimed as an F1 Junior rather than a genuine companion.
Old 28 Mar 2003, 13:37 (Ref:551074)   #16
ASCII Man
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Smokey 6 litre
If the two did join would that mean more races in the US, or even worse at ovals. Or would it just make Bernie even richer.
I honestly believe it would be the latter.
Old 28 Mar 2003, 20:23 (Ref:551487)   #17
Maxmil
Veteran

United States
New England, USA
Maxmil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by ®îjñtjûh
Try this, Maxmil
http://f1.racing-live.com/en/index.h...4812.shtml</a>
Close, I finally found it here: http://f1.racing-live.com/en/index.h...4812.shtml</a>

That's a weird one! (It's also not the one I copied. You have to look down below to get the very short article on Bernie buying CART)

I don't put much credence in the story, but it could be interesting if it is real. If they make the CART guys race clockwise, they will get dizzy.

Last edited by Maxmil; 28 Mar 2003 at 20:25.