Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 10 Jul 2003, 01:26 (Ref:657518)   #1
Joe Fan
Veteran

Joe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJoe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The impact of Gordon-Montoya swap

I wonder if Jeff Gordon's performance in the Williams F1 car at Indy a few weeks back will have much of an impact in raising the profile of NASCAR and the talents of its drivers around the globe.

As most already know, Formula One is the most popular form of motorsport outside of the U.S. At one time, stock car racing was viewed as a lower rung regional Southern sport and too low brow for most open wheel or sports car fans. Even today, many race fans around the world poo-pooh the talent of NASCAR drivers. Will this change some minds and attitudes? Jeff Gordon is not the only talented driver in the series, there are quite a few drivers in NASCAR who are versatile or talented enough to successful in just about any major type of motorsport.

Last edited by Joe Fan; 10 Jul 2003 at 01:32.
Old 10 Jul 2003, 02:00 (Ref:657529)   #2
danieljboys
Racer

United Kingdom
Aldershot, Hampshire
danieljboys should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gordon's original aim was to break into IndyCars about ten years ago and he has single seater experience from his early years. The same can be said for Tony Stewart and Robby Gordon, with Robby having a good track record in single seaters, stock cars and Off-road racing.

The question is: how would somebody like Kurt Busch or Dale Jr. fair in a Formula 1 car? These guys have plied their trades purely in ovals and might have difficulty turning their hand to circuit racing.
Old 10 Jul 2003, 02:04 (Ref:657531)   #3
Stephenw
Rookie

Stephenw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that is an unfair generalization. Most knowledgable Formula One fans; especially American F1 fans; have thought Jeff Gordon would do well in F1. There was no surprise there.

Having said that; Jeff openly admitted that the last second off the lap time would be very hard to take off.

What I saw was a very surprised and impressed Jeff Gordon after that 'test'. I'd have to say the opening post is way off the mark.

Last edited by Stephenw; 10 Jul 2003 at 02:12.
Old 11 Jul 2003, 00:40 (Ref:658389)   #4
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe that Jeff Gordon and Tony Stewart could possibly adapt to F1. The remainder of the drivers would find difficulty in F1 racing. On the other hand, the F1 drivers would probably find it difficult to adapt to Nascar. At least that is my opinion.
Old 11 Jul 2003, 06:25 (Ref:658531)   #5
Stephenw
Rookie

Stephenw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Certainly the ovals; I think the NASCAR ovals are an entirely different breed of racing then what an F1 driver is used to...and the only resipe for success is experience...

But I got the impression that Montoya was being polite about the road course Chevy...because let's be honest; those beasts on a road course are clumsy and slow compared to an F1 car...heck just look at the difference in lap times...if I rememnber correctly it was like 1:17 versus 1:37-ish!!!
Old 11 Jul 2003, 08:30 (Ref:658574)   #6
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Jeff Gordon is a tremendously skilled athlete, and I have no doubt that he could've reached the top in CART if not F1, had he got a drive when he was looking for one. Taht's what made him switch to NASCAR and storm to the top in unprecedented time. The same basically goes for Tony Stewart.

People who think driving round in a circle is easy really need to rethink it. Racing that close, with three cars abreast icnhes from a wall, with a constantly-duelling 43-car field together for up to 500 miles, planning pit strategies around the yellows along the way, is as challenging as F1 in my view.

NASCAR is at an intereting phase though,a s there seem to be a lot of non-Americans looking to get in, as Christian Fitipaldi and Hideo Fukuyama have done. Toyota's entry plan has also caused consternation among traditionalists. They have seen CART's quick evolution away from a largely-US field, and the changes in the IRL in the last 2 years. How would NASCAR fans react if (purely hypothetically) someone like David Coulthard attempted the series, or, worse, someone who tried and failed to get into F1 or CART?

Jeff Gordon in F1 would be popular, although I think it's now too late. Kurt Busch tested a ChampCar recently and was within 4 seconds of a 51 second best lap, not bad for a first attempt. he could be the opne to make it across. A lot of NASCAR guys started out as frustrated open-wheelers
Old 11 Jul 2003, 14:34 (Ref:658833)   #7
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by danieljboys

The question is: how would somebody like Kurt Busch or Dale Jr. fair in a Formula 1 car? These guys have plied their trades purely in ovals and might have difficulty turning their hand to circuit racing.
Kurt Busch had a drive in Michel Jordain Jr.'s ChampCar earlier this year (or was it last year?) and he was quite impressive apparantly, and it seemed like he loved the drive.

It would be very interesting to see someone like Dale Jr. that hasn't really had much road course experience how they would go in a F1 or a ChampCar race. jeff Gordon is very special driver though.

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 11 Jul 2003, 14:46 (Ref:658845)   #8
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe it would be catastrophic for Dale jr in a F1 car. Road racing isn't his thing at all and in an F1 car I have my doubts. I agree though on Jeff Gordon, he has special talent that could have made him a candidate for F1 but it is probably too late now. I read somewhere that Ford early on selected Robby Gordon rather than Jeff Gordon to bring along in the IRL series. What a big mistake.
Old 11 Jul 2003, 15:24 (Ref:658888)   #9
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if Jef gordon was given a year to test and race with williams or Mercedes or even renault, he would be a race winner the following season. easy.
now GOrdon might not have the time, and for sure not land in a top flight team. as well the set up for one season in F1 will take one full year of testing, and that means 2 years away from nascar and the spotlight

Tags
jpm