Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 14 Apr 2004, 22:02 (Ref:939865)   #26
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The come-back of the GTs in 1993 was an excellent solution for LM 24 Hours.
Filling the grid with most of prototypes is difficult and the GTs which are less expensive can do so.
Old 15 Apr 2004, 14:09 (Ref:940499)   #27
Mopar
Racer

Mopar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You are all mentalists! I dont see people complaining about "back in the day" when 956s and 962s dominated the Group C fields. Wake up everyone no one is coming out with proper big budget LMP cars yet, why cull the infant GT class? If you kill it the Pro-am nature of gt will be lost for good!
Old 15 Apr 2004, 14:29 (Ref:940527)   #28
LC2guy
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
LC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Difference being the 956/962 had a chance at overall victory." Back in the day " of 956 & 962 will never receive a complaint on this forum ( IMHO ) as you didn't get passed by 5 or 6 of them on your way to work every morning. The GT class is far from infant, when it started there was variety, but now, all you need to do is buy an off the shelf Porsche and Le Mans beckons. As for No-one coming out with Big Bucks LMP , its not really surprising , when you've got a better chance of getting invited to Le Mans with a Porker ( 20% of this years field for christs sake ) than with a car that is only permitted to race in 2 series outside the 24 hours. You can enter your GT in any number of series / events . Unless the top class receives some favouritism then what is the incentive for fledgeling GT teams to move up the ladder ? As i have said before, i love GT cars, but LMP Prototypes are on a completely different, higher plain than roadspec cars, and the Greatest race on earth should have as many of them as possible. All the best from this Mentalist !!!
Old 15 Apr 2004, 15:44 (Ref:940577)   #29
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I still disagree with your point. And for me, the crux of the problem remains with the ACO's selection process. If the ACO invited the strongest field of prototypes then that would be great. There are 19 LMP1 cars on the entry list, but they are no where near the best 19 LMP1 cars out there. I maintain that the 24 Hours of Le Mans should feature the cream of the crop in terms of race teams and cars for each class. If this were done, then I would be very happy. 19 LMP1's and 7 LMP2's is a good number of prototypes. More than enough to satisfy me. It's just too bad that it's not the best of the best.

Le Mans is about multi-class racing and so are the LMES and ALMS. Prototypes haven't been able to maintain their own series. So just let that thought go and embrace what we have.
Old 15 Apr 2004, 15:58 (Ref:940590)   #30
Mopar
Racer

Mopar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GT class is a class that many manufactures (such as TVR) view as a stepping stone into further projects. GT class is not a problem! i think its more of an issue of dare i say it people taking issue with porsche's dominance. i feel that if the BMWs, unresricted TVRs and Callaways were to race gt spec racing would be better