Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 10 Oct 2019, 21:17 (Ref:3933187)   #5151
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Just to get you all in tthe Bathurst mood, this is an old clip but still I find it amusing.... Darryl Waltrip being taken for a ride round the track by Jason Bright with DW's amusing commentary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLkLtBkUVuo&t=1s

He talks of TV not showing the elevation up the mountain.... to clarify that with numbers, the top of the mountain is 172 metres higher than pitlane.

Last edited by E.B; 10 Oct 2019 at 21:25.
Old 10 Oct 2019, 22:21 (Ref:3933193)   #5152
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Mentioning Bathurst ...

Looks like all of the broadcast qualifying sessions or on YouTube in full.

I've just watched a few minutes of the first one and the weather looks fantastic and views just spectacular.

First one here - the others should be linked I would guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pmv717Cv4gE

Fabulous to see it - especially for those stuck in the UK as Autumn settles in for its stint.
Old 11 Oct 2019, 13:23 (Ref:3933281)   #5153
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Dyson's Electric Car Plans Scrapped

Cordless vacuum cleaner manufacturer James Dyson (referred to by Sniff Petrol as a 'Dust Magnate'!) has cancelled his plans to build an electric vehicle.
More information here: https://garagewire.co.uk/news/dyson-...0car%20project
Old 11 Oct 2019, 13:24 (Ref:3933283)   #5154
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes, that sucks.
Old 11 Oct 2019, 13:31 (Ref:3933285)   #5155
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Cordless vacuum cleaner manufacturer James Dyson (referred to by Sniff Petrol as a 'Dust Magnate'!) has cancelled his plans to build an electric vehicle.
A shame.

I thought he was looking good to create another Aston Martin like brand.

Presumably he spotted that possibility too.
Old 11 Oct 2019, 13:37 (Ref:3933288)   #5156
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Why would he succeed over and above what Tesla and the main stream manufacturers are able to achieve. Perhaps it wasn't as easy to build it and make money as he thought?

I am actually more interested to see what Jo Bamford can achieve with hydrogen vehicles now he seems to have succeeded in buying Wrightbus.
Old 11 Oct 2019, 14:00 (Ref:3933292)   #5157
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
I think you will find the ambience of just about anywhere is better than Brighton these days, Gerard!
Long time ago when I were but a lad my paternal Grandmother retired to Brighton after Grandfather died. She took an interesting flat on one of those big old arced terraces up between the sea and the Downs.

Later her sister, an interesting lady who had been an officer in the Army Nursing Corps in India and never married, also moved to Brighton and took a flat at the end of the terrace. A few years later the basement flat in her building became available and my grandmother, having been a keen gardener before the move to the flat, swapped to the new basement flat - which made it much easier to visit both of them on the same day trip.

In their later lives we lived only an hour away and I couple of my school pals attended Sussex University so for a while I had decent reasons to head down to Brighton and enjoy some parts of what it then had to offer.

That was a long time ago.

The friends graduated (or left) the Uni, the elderly sister both passed away. Other people we knew also moved on and I moved further way as well.

Revisiting, briefly, about 20 years ago was something of a disappointment. I can't imagine that experience would be different today.
Old 11 Oct 2019, 14:10 (Ref:3933294)   #5158
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=grantp;3933193]Mentioning Bathurst ...

Looks like all of the broadcast qualifying sessions or on YouTube in full.

Going to be a busy Sunday morning!

Bathurst live on BT Sport from 1am, then swapping to Sky F1 to watch the qualifying (if it happens) @ 2am, then back to Bathurst until the GP starts @ 6-10, then have a shower before heading off to work @ Mallory (Time Attack), Monday will be for sleeping!

Oh the life we lead
Old 11 Oct 2019, 14:59 (Ref:3933302)   #5159
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Agree about Dyson cancelling his EV project. Think he needed a Chinese Partner to share the cost but didn’t find one? With mainstream manufacturers ramping up introduction of new models, perhaps a bit late to the party..... Meanwhile, Rivian in the US have received massive funding from Ford MoCo and Amazon, and the latter has ordered a huge fleet of electric vans from them. So it is possible to attract investment with the right product!

Meanwhile, on the subject of our old cars, we now have ‘Dual-Sided Dieless Forming’ being pioneered by Nissan. As long as you have original plans or a part to scan, replacements can be formed by a pair of robots. It’s in CCW, but YouTube vid here- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiQQPb7MV4k
Old 11 Oct 2019, 15:14 (Ref:3933308)   #5160
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
The friends graduated (or left) the Uni, the elderly sister both passed away. Other people we knew also moved on and I moved further way as well.

Speaking of old friends, one of the things that I really admire about one of my sons is his seemingly effortless ability to maintain friendships that he has made during his 46 years.

His best man at his wedding 20 odd years ago was a friendship kindled during his time at infant school in the 70s; he recently returned the favour by being his best man. He is also still in touch with a couple of others from that school, as well as primary and secondary schools.

When he went to Bath University, he became a part of a close-knit group of 5 male students who all started that semester. At the end of the first semester, they all moved out of the halls of residence, and rented a farmhouse that was conveniently situated bang opposite the gates to the university, where they all stayed in what appears to be perfect harmony.

It must be have been good, because even now, more than 20 years later, the 5 meet up individually throughout the year plus every October they join up together in Wales, where each year they spend a long weekend walking the coast, starting from near Chester and working their way down south - I think that they will be well into their sixties by the time they reach Cardiff. Each year they seem to spend less and less time walking, but hours spent in the pubs they come to increases.

He also keeps in touch with old work colleagues that he has worked alongside since he left university.
Old 11 Oct 2019, 15:23 (Ref:3933313)   #5161
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I still see/ in touch with people i joined the RN with in 1982. And next weekend i am off to Dartmouth for a blokes weekend with 8 people i was at BRNC with in 1989/90.
Old 11 Oct 2019, 15:43 (Ref:3933323)   #5162
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Yes, that sucks.
Old 11 Oct 2019, 16:33 (Ref:3933333)   #5163
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
So, E.B, any links to Bathurst stream? Decidedly lacking in the Race thread but guess all you locals get it on telly......
Edit, found the YouTube channel! Live timing, anyone?

Last edited by Mike Bell; 11 Oct 2019 at 16:40.
Old 11 Oct 2019, 16:54 (Ref:3933336)   #5164
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.supercars.com/live-timing/

That might work.
Old 11 Oct 2019, 16:56 (Ref:3933337)   #5165
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Agree about Dyson cancelling his EV project. Think he needed a Chinese Partner to share the cost but didn’t find one? With mainstream manufacturers ramping up introduction of new models, perhaps a bit late to the party..... Meanwhile, Rivian in the US have received massive funding from Ford MoCo and Amazon, and the latter has ordered a huge fleet of electric vans from them. So it is possible to attract investment with the right product!

Meanwhile, on the subject of our old cars, we now have ‘Dual-Sided Dieless Forming’ being pioneered by Nissan. As long as you have original plans or a part to scan, replacements can be formed by a pair of robots. It’s in CCW, but YouTube vid here- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiQQPb7MV4k
James Dyson has recently donated a large sum of money to our old school for a science & engineering centre, so all is not lost!
Old 11 Oct 2019, 18:17 (Ref:3933344)   #5166
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
I still see/ in touch with people i joined the RN with in 1982. And next weekend i am off to Dartmouth for a blokes weekend with 8 people i was at BRNC with in 1989/90.

Yeah, must admit that I'm still in touch with mates I went to school with from 61 when I joined grammar school - fortunately only lost one of my four closest mates.

And my race partner is a guy I met when I joined my local Car Club in 73 - after which I soon started co-driving for him in his 998 Imp on stage events. Several other friends form those dyas at the car club.

Interestingly, never really kept in touch for long with anyone I met through work....
Old 11 Oct 2019, 23:47 (Ref:3933379)   #5167
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmaz223 View Post
Thats the one I was going to suggest. Let me know if it is geo blocked....

There is also a live text update / text commentary. One of the supercars website
https://www.supercars.com/news/champ...bathurst-1000/

and one on https://www.speedcafe.com/2019/10/12...bathurst-1000/
Old 12 Oct 2019, 00:24 (Ref:3933381)   #5168
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Just heard one of the best analogies of what Bathurst is like, coming from one of the two American drivers. They had just done their first ever familiarisation laps in a road car, and when asked what it was like I think it was Rossi that described it as like trying to drink water out of a firehose!!
They are a bit in awe of the place.
Old 12 Oct 2019, 02:54 (Ref:3933388)   #5169
delcomb
Rookie

Canada
Chatham, Ontario
delcomb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddelcomb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
I think it was Rossi that described it as like trying to drink water out of a firehose!!.
To be clear, it was Hinchcliffe that said that. And he is Canadian, not American Good to see them respecting the place. I couldn't believe how steep downhill it was after Skyline when I was there in 2016.
Old 12 Oct 2019, 03:13 (Ref:3933389)   #5170
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by delcomb View Post
To be clear, it was Hinchcliffe that said that. And he is Canadian, not American Good to see them respecting the place. I couldn't believe how steep downhill it was after Skyline when I was there in 2016.
Thanks for clarifying.

As I mentioned previously from pitlane to Skyline is an elevation change of 174 metres (I said 172m earlier but apparently it is 174 metres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
So, E.B, any links to Bathurst stream? Decidedly lacking in the Race thread but guess all you locals get it on telly......
Not sure if this is the link you have Mike, but....

Friend in Europe says this link is streaming in full. (I cant check as it is geo-blocked to me in Aus.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFHT9Sg_e1U

Yes we have all day today and tomorrow on FTA and cable.

Qualifying Top Ten Shootout is on at 5.05pm here (that is 7:05am in the UK I think)

Last edited by E.B; 12 Oct 2019 at 03:22. Reason: Added UK time of Shootout for info.
Old 12 Oct 2019, 07:50 (Ref:3933422)   #5171
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In case anyone didn't pick it up, Bathurst full race on BT Sports 1 at 00:30 tomorrow.
Old 12 Oct 2019, 09:07 (Ref:3933440)   #5172
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
In case anyone didn't pick it up, Bathurst full race on BT Sports 1 at 00:30 tomorrow.
Cheers. Don’t subscribe to it unfortunately!
Old 12 Oct 2019, 09:17 (Ref:3933446)   #5173
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
I said 172m earlier but apparently it is 174 metres.
I cant check as it is geo-blocked to me in Aus.
Good to be accurate Chris, two meters or mètres can make a difference… sometimes!I didn't check the link having to attend a bad show but may be you could use a VPN.
Old 12 Oct 2019, 09:19 (Ref:3933448)   #5174
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Just thinking as I am passing through Spain . Anyone heard from Gordon . I’ve got nice hotel tonight all for 30 euros . Happy days .
Still here Iain, enjoying the sun and don't go on the internet when we are out and about. Been making a few films for various groups and been exploring "deserted villages" however I do pop back on 10ths to make sure you old boys are still alive and kicking !!! Back to Blighty in a weeks time to enjoy the weather and the doom n gloom that appears to be going on according to the news However if we are allowed out of the UK we will be back for. Dec & Jan as usual
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 12 Oct 2019, 09:29 (Ref:3933451)   #5175
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
I didn't check the link having to attend a bad show but may be you could use a VPN.
I dont need a stream for myself, just trying to help you Euro people out.... Our TV Coverage starts at 7:30am through to 6:30PM. Today was similar! Showing all the supports plus other Bathurst stuff live from pitlane.

My cable TV provider has had a 24/7 Bathurst channel all week.
Closed Thread