Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 18 Aug 2013, 16:26 (Ref:3291356)   #1
AUTOLEGEND
Racer

United States
Atlanta, Georgia
AUTOLEGEND should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What are the types of various stock cars.

In sports car racing, it is easy to distinguish various cars by the rule books they are built for....GTE, GT3, LMP1....ect ect.

But what are the various formulas for stock cars and how are they governed?

I'm guessing it is overly sponsored based because this is what i gather thus far.

Big 3.
Sprint Cup - Sprint Cup Car
Nationwide - Nationwide car
Camping World Truck Series - Camping World Truck

But what about the rest?

What are the cars that compete in these?

K&N Pro East & West Series
Canadian Tire Series
Automobile Racing Club of America - ARCA
Champion Auto Racing - CRA
American Speed Association - ASA
Old 18 Aug 2013, 18:18 (Ref:3291411)   #2
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
'Noty quite sure of the question or of your understanding. Sponsors of the series (which as you stated above, also name the series) do not establish the rules for the cars; the sanctioning bodies do.

jimclark
Old 18 Aug 2013, 19:22 (Ref:3291426)   #3
AUTOLEGEND
Racer

United States
Atlanta, Georgia
AUTOLEGEND should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimclark View Post
'Noty quite sure of the question or of your understanding. Sponsors of the series (which as you stated above, also name the series) do not establish the rules for the cars; the sanctioning bodies do.
I found ASA calls their cars Super late Models. What are the cars in ARCA called and the other series i mentioned?
Old 18 Aug 2013, 19:28 (Ref:3291430)   #4
jimclark
Veteran

United States
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Not a big "stock car" fan so I'm not up on what they're called.

'Suggest you go to the individual sites for your answers.

'Curious, what does it matter what they're called...more important is the rules they have to build and run by...

edit: will be sending you a pm.

Last edited by jimclark; 18 Aug 2013 at 19:37.

jimclark
Old 18 Aug 2013, 21:12 (Ref:3291474)   #5
Nick Woodbury
Veteran

United States
New England
Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!
Simple really.

From the lowest type of Stock Car you have the local short track Late Models. However there are two types of Late Model; Super Late Model (Pro Stock) and your basic Late Model.

Pictured here is Chase Elliot's Super Late Model.

And Pictured here is Brian Hoar driving a Basic Late Model

The main differences for each type of Late Model being engine size and power output, tire size and width among a few other minor discrepancies. Most Basic Late Model stock cars around North America are required to use sealed Ford/Chevy Crate motors (~350-400hp) based on their touring series regulations or their local track's rulebook.

Basic Late Models usually run an incredibly thin tire (Around 8"in.) and the manufacture varies between Goodyear, Hoosier, and American Racer.
Super Late Models run a much wider tire increasing the contact patch, whilst the engine is much more powerful (~650hp).

Next you have the old Generation 4 NASCAR Cup/Nationwide cars currently used by the K&N series and the ARCA series.

Pictured here are some K&N Cars rounding a bend.

Pictured Here is the start of an ARCA Race.

Although both of these series use the exact same chassis and bodies they both have their minor differences.

ARCA Cars have a much higher power output from the motor (~850hp Unrestricted) but use a much larger rear spoiler (about +5-10" in.) as compared to the K&N cars.

Whilst the K&N Series uses a 5.4L V8 with an output of ~650hp Unrestricted with a much smaller rear spoiler.

Next up is the Nationwide Series. They departed from the old Gen. 4 Bodies full time for the start of the 2011 Season and introduced their own updated car.

Chassis: Steel tube frame with safety roll cage, must be NASCAR standards.
Engine Displacement: 5.8 L (5,800 cc) (358 in³) Pushrod V8.
Transmission: 4 Speed Manual.
Weight: 3,200 lb (1,451 kg) Minimum (without driver); 3,400 lb (1,542 kg)
Power Output: 650–700 hp .
Torque: 520 ft-lb.

As for the cream of the crop, the Spring Cup; they replaced their Generation 5 Car of Tomorrow body with the new Generation 6 bodies for the start of the 2013 Nascar Season.

Chassis: Steel tube frame with safety roll cage, must meet NASCAR standards.
Engine Displacement: 5.86 L (5,860 cc) (358 in³) Pushrod V8.
Transmission: 4 Speed Manual.
Weight: 3,200 lb (1,451 kg) (without driver, fuel); 3,400 lb (1,542 kg) (with driver, fuel).
Power Output: ~865 hp (645 kW) unrestricted; 445 hp (332 kW) with restrictor plate (2007).
Torque: 530 ft-lb

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Nick Woodbury; 18 Aug 2013 at 21:23.
Old 20 Aug 2013, 01:34 (Ref:3291911)   #6
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Pictured here is Chase Elliot's Super Late Model.

Good kid.

And good info, Nick. That about sums it up...
Old 21 Aug 2013, 00:02 (Ref:3292205)   #7
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yup, good work Nick. The only thing I can think of we left out is dirt late model stock cars that run in various series from amatuer to pro:

Oh, I think Hooters Pro Cup or USAR or whatever is still around? Maybe?

On another note, does anyone remember what the series was called in the '90s that ran the little 4-bangers? There were Sunfires, Cavaliers, Foci, etc

Last edited by JHamilton; 21 Aug 2013 at 00:08.
Old 21 Aug 2013, 02:59 (Ref:3292237)   #8
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
On another note, does anyone remember what the series was called in the '90s that ran the little 4-bangers? There were Sunfires, Cavaliers, Foci, etc
Oh boy..... Was it Baby Grand,? (no, I know not necessarily so...)

I remember enjoyin' 'em on whatever channel it was...

'Not knowin' anybody, but fer some reason I wuz an Ed (?) Berrier fan....

jimclark
Old 21 Aug 2013, 10:56 (Ref:3292345)   #9
jim199
Rookie

Australia
jim199 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
It was called the Goody's Dash.
Old 21 Aug 2013, 14:43 (Ref:3292424)   #10
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
^Seeing the Dash series on the high banks was just really odd to me.

Now the first years of the Busch series with the V6s, I was a little partial to those, given in the late 90s I did own an 86 Monte Carlo that was pretty much the car they used. Well, motor wise. My suspension was just a little softer, I believe. Couch on wheels.
Old 21 Aug 2013, 15:57 (Ref:3292438)   #11
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Clive Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim199 View Post
It was called the Goody's Dash.
The series started a lot earlier than that.... I saw it at Daytona in 1983 when it was called the Darlington Dash. Much better alliteration back in those days!

These little cars were, to be frank, a little underwhelming on the Superspeedway, much as the Cup cars with the plate are today.
Old 21 Aug 2013, 16:20 (Ref:3292439)   #12
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hey, everybody is right! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISCARS_Dash_Touring_Series

I remember it as Goody's Dash, but it was (or is) pretty good on short tracks.
Old 21 Aug 2013, 16:24 (Ref:3292441)   #13
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
Now the first years of the Busch series with the V6s, I was a little partial to those, given in the late 90s I did own an 86 Monte Carlo that was pretty much the car they used. Well, motor wise. My suspension was just a little softer, I believe. Couch on wheels.
The V6 Busch cars sounded horrific.

Your Monte... was a little rough round the edges. I would have traded it in a heartbeat with my ****ing Cavalier.
Old 21 Nov 2013, 22:54 (Ref:3334976)   #14
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Autolegend:

If you have time and want to find some interesting info, sit down by your computer for a few hundred hours whilst typing in:

NASCAR-- grand national, late model, modified stock cars history.

Then do the similar thing such as:

USAC-- stock cars
ARCA--stock cars
ASA--stock cars
West coast-- stock car racing.

You will find out, eventual how it got to where it is, but also how interesting it once was.
Old 21 Nov 2013, 23:03 (Ref:3334978)   #15
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Good kid.

And good info, Nick. That about sums it up...
Thats our boy Fieldo! Gonna be fun watching his future.
Old 22 Nov 2013, 11:41 (Ref:3335166)   #16
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
R.Lee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here is about the best answer to your question. Comes from ESPN:

http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/cup...vious-cup-cars

Enlarge the picture of the first picture and it gives a great illistration. Hope this helps.
Old 22 Nov 2013, 12:43 (Ref:3335183)   #17
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I quite liked the Gen 4. The Gen 6 is tolerable.
Old 22 Nov 2013, 17:06 (Ref:3335260)   #18
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
I quite liked the Gen 4. The Gen 6 is tolerable.
I prefer Gen 1 and 2 cars. These were basically "stock" cars. With each successive generation, the cars became less and less "stock" Went from "stock" to "stock-appearing" to, with the COT Brick, nothing even closely resembling "stock". Gen 6 brings it back to "stock-appearing."
Old 22 Nov 2013, 22:07 (Ref:3335390)   #19
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Lee View Post
I prefer Gen 1 and 2 cars. These were basically "stock" cars. With each successive generation, the cars became less and less "stock" Went from "stock" to "stock-appearing" to, with the COT Brick, nothing even closely resembling "stock". Gen 6 brings it back to "stock-appearing."
One can pretty much divide them to pre-'72 and post '72.

The last, that I know of, NASCAR stocker built off of a body in white, was a 1972 Torino built for Bobby Unser to run at Riverside.

After that they slowly moved to full tube-frame imitations.

PS-- There was a genuine seventies Grand-Am Pontiac built. (I.e. Pontiac engine) I am not sure of the chassis though.
Old 23 Nov 2013, 01:30 (Ref:3335468)   #20
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Riebe View Post
One can pretty much divide them to pre-'72 and post '72.

The last, that I know of, NASCAR stocker built off of a body in white, was a 1972 Torino built for Bobby Unser to run at Riverside.

After that they slowly moved to full tube-frame imitations.

PS-- There was a genuine seventies Grand-Am Pontiac built. (I.e. Pontiac engine) I am not sure of the chassis though.
No, the "body in white" build lasted through the 70s. I believe what you are thinking of is the last car built by Holman & Moody, the Torino built to run at Riverside. It was a 73, not a 72 model. That car is in a museum somewhere now. Saw it in an old issue of Stock Car Racing magazine.
Old 23 Nov 2013, 05:51 (Ref:3335521)   #21
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Lee View Post
No, the "body in white" build lasted through the 70s. I believe what you are thinking of is the last car built by Holman & Moody, the Torino built to run at Riverside. It was a 73, not a 72 model. That car is in a museum somewhere now. Saw it in an old issue of Stock Car Racing magazine.

I double checked and he car was raced in Jan. 1973 but it was built in 1972 and was called a '72.

H & M were not on good terms with NASCAR and the car was not built for just that race but they saw no reason to go to Daytona and be miserable so that was their last race.

Up to that point Fords and Mopars were still running on Ford or Mopar chassis, although not all Ford chassis were a body on white type of build, but the Chevy that won in 1971 was a Chevy body on a Ford chassis.

The AMC Matador ran on a H&M chassis.
Old 23 Nov 2013, 11:07 (Ref:3335616)   #22
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Riebe View Post
I double checked and he car was raced in Jan. 1973 but it was built in 1972 and was called a '72.

H & M were not on good terms with NASCAR and the car was not built for just that race but they saw no reason to go to Daytona and be miserable so that was their last race.

Up to that point Fords and Mopars were still running on Ford or Mopar chassis, although not all Ford chassis were a body on white type of build, but the Chevy that won in 1971 was a Chevy body on a Ford chassis.

The AMC Matador ran on a H&M chassis.
That was pretty much the end for Holman & Moody. What really killed them was Ford's exit from factory support in racing, after the 1970 season. Throughout the 60s the WERE Ford Motor Company Racing! I always liked that team, list of drivers read like the Hall of Fame. John Holman and Ralph Moody did not get along well in the last couple of years either. It was a sad, inglourious end, to one of the most storied teams in NASCAR.

Last edited by R.Lee; 23 Nov 2013 at 11:08. Reason: correction
Old 23 Nov 2013, 15:20 (Ref:3335681)   #23
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Neat link there, R. Lee. I prefer the Gen 3, because that is what i grew up with but the Gen 2 was the greatest. It was during the last "real" factory support, where Detroit was actually building cars for the track, and selling street versions of them. Now they are all same, less the badges and light decals.

I did notice the #9 is on their twice.
Old 23 Nov 2013, 17:26 (Ref:3335716)   #24
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
Quote:
Neat link there, R. Lee. I prefer the Gen 3, because that is what i grew up with but the Gen 2 was the greatest. It was during the last "real" factory support, where Detroit was actually building cars for the track, and selling street versions of them. Now they are all same, less the badges and light decals.

I did notice the #9 is on their twice.
I have to agree, Gen 2 (along with Gen 1, for me) is the greatest, they're what I grew up with!
Old 23 Nov 2013, 18:39 (Ref:3335740)   #25
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
For me Gen 4.