Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 11 Oct 2016, 01:00 (Ref:3679107)   #76
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
Im fully aware of why out of touch people call it an entertainment car

Its because of a belief that it is called out to create entertainment when a race may have got slow or to produce a close finish.

However We did not see that happen on the weekend when there was an ideal opportunity with debris in the chase.

Thus i stand by my comment that people who use that term "entertainment car" are probably a bit out of touch with the series or crotchety old men.
Please read post #63 and tell me why I am out of touch?
Old 11 Oct 2016, 01:02 (Ref:3679109)   #77
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
Please read post #63 and tell me why I am out of touch?
I already have.

however to be clear. Races that finish under local yellows is not about entertainment, Its about racing. Which is what the competitors are there to do. The entertainment is a side issue to racing
Old 11 Oct 2016, 01:11 (Ref:3679112)   #78
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I already have.
We saw a safety car for when Rick Kelly hit the wall at Forrest's Elbow.

The safety car boards were displayed post haste without any reasonable time for the use of waved double yellow flags to allow Rick to get out of the wall under his own steam.

When then saw a car left in perhaps the most dangerous and exposed position in any race track in Australia because deploying the Safety Car would have most likely seen the race finish behind the Safety Car.
Old 11 Oct 2016, 01:20 (Ref:3679114)   #79
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
We saw a safety car for when Rick Kelly hit the wall at Forrest's Elbow.

The safety car boards were displayed post haste without any reasonable time for the use of waved double yellow flags to allow Rick to get out of the wall under his own steam.

When then saw a car left in perhaps the most dangerous and exposed position in any race track in Australia because deploying the Safety Car would have most likely seen the race finish behind the Safety Car.

sorry, your point there? Not sure how it relates to safety car, are you suggesting that rick Kelly incident safety car was for entertainment?

But i agree they went quickly on that one, but hardly entertainment
Old 11 Oct 2016, 01:30 (Ref:3679120)   #80
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The concern I have with the car in the sand at the chase is that no cars reduced their speed through the double waved yellow.
Old 11 Oct 2016, 01:37 (Ref:3679126)   #81
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
The concern I have with the car in the sand at the chase is that no cars reduced their speed through the double waved yellow.
Agreed - but this also seems to be the case in F1 and other series having similar occurances.
Old 11 Oct 2016, 02:25 (Ref:3679139)   #82
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
Davisons lap times showed slower laps in the last sector for the last two laps as did SVG

Now whincup on the other hand
Old 11 Oct 2016, 03:06 (Ref:3679155)   #83
Compromised
Veteran

Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Because the race was safely managed under double waved yellows, as MANY classes around the world would do in the last 2 laps of a race.
So we've learnt nothing from losing Jules bianchi then?

Yeah this race finished safely...this time. What if someone had brake failure? What if anything really? Is it worth risking it for a race finish? Why not just run NASCAR green white chequers in that situation?
Old 11 Oct 2016, 03:11 (Ref:3679161)   #84
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compromised View Post
Bianchi was a bit of a special case, wet conditions, recovery vehicle on track, open cockpit, individual not driving to the conditions.

You can't really single out Supercars for this when this type of practice is quite common in many series around the world.
Old 11 Oct 2016, 03:21 (Ref:3679164)   #85
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Bianchi was a bit of a special case, wet conditions, recovery vehicle on track, open cockpit, individual not driving to the conditions.

You can't really single out Supercars for this when this type of practice is quite common in many series around the world.
Detonating an engine at 300 kph and losing control on its fluids could have been ugly.
Old 11 Oct 2016, 03:23 (Ref:3679166)   #86
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:

Yeah this race finished safely...this time. What if someone had brake failure? What if anything really? Is it worth risking it for a race finish? Why not just run NASCAR green white chequers in that situation?
Really Bianchi? thats what you have? Supercars are so far ahead of F1 when it comes to safety if that's your argument. We call a SC for every time a support vehicle goes on the track

As for green white, why? we can do local yellows. Cant do that in NASCAR

We managed to run multiple support categories on the weekend using local yellows with often amatuer drivers
Old 11 Oct 2016, 04:21 (Ref:3679182)   #87
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The technology now exists to do Code 60 or Virtual Safety Car.The introduction of a Safety Car can change a race from a sporting contest to a raffle.It is like resetting the score at 0-0 in a football match when a player goes off injured.At one time it was necessary for safety compared to sending trucks out to pick up cars while the race continued at full speed.F1 and WEC have moved away from Safety Cars and it is time for Supercars to do the same.
Old 11 Oct 2016, 04:26 (Ref:3679186)   #88
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
The technology now exists to do Code 60 or Virtual Safety Car.The introduction of a Safety Car can change a race from a sporting contest to a raffle.It is like resetting the score at 0-0 in a football match when a player goes off injured.At one time it was necessary for safety compared to sending trucks out to pick up cars while the race continued at full speed.F1 and WEC have moved away from Safety Cars and it is time for Supercars to do the same.
Off you go then - go buy all the gear necessary and provide to Supercars as a profitable aside.

I think the last time this got all discussed you needed between $300k-$500k to do it.

I've been a supplier to them in the past - have fun
Old 11 Oct 2016, 05:26 (Ref:3679206)   #89
Compromised
Veteran

Quote:
Really Bianchi? thats what you have? Supercars are so far ahead of F1 when it comes to safety if that's your argument. We call a SC for every time a support vehicle goes on the track

As for green white, why? we can do local yellows. Cant do that in NASCAR
IMO throwing out yellows isn't ideal as you lose a overtaking opportunity. Green white at least let's you race the whole track green.

And as for Supercars being safer than f1, not sure on that. You say every time a support vehicle is on track Supercars call a SC. Why not when marshalls run on the track?

Also the support vehicle was not on track when bianchi hit it, it was in a run off zone, similar to where Todds Nissan was parked....you getting where this is going?
Old 11 Oct 2016, 05:42 (Ref:3679213)   #90
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Also the support vehicle was not on track when bianchi hit it, it was in a run off zone, similar to where Todds Nissan was parked....you getting where this is going?
Repeating it doesn't change it from an apples to oranges comparison.
Old 11 Oct 2016, 05:43 (Ref:3679214)   #91
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
And as for Supercars being safer than f1, not sure on that. You say every time a support vehicle is on track Supercars call a SC. Why not when marshalls run on the track?
I will bet my left agate that the Marshal either asked for permission first or was directed by Race Control onto the track and would have been "covered" by a local Yella
Old 11 Oct 2016, 05:49 (Ref:3679215)   #92
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 275 GTB-4 View Post
I will bet my left agate that the Marshal either asked for permission first or was directed by Race Control onto the track and would have been "covered" by a local Yella
I guess people know where the cars are but still when I saw him run out it got my attention...
Old 11 Oct 2016, 05:51 (Ref:3679216)   #93
Compromised
Veteran

Quote:
Repeating it doesn't change it from an apples to oranges comparison.
Apples to oranges?

Large object in usually clear run off.

Local yellows.

Fairly quick section.

The only real difference I see is the outcome thankfully.
Old 11 Oct 2016, 06:12 (Ref:3679219)   #94
Mixer
Veteran

Dry track, with no chance of aquaplaning.
Neither vehicle an open wheel car, or a piece of heavy equipment
Old 11 Oct 2016, 06:41 (Ref:3679223)   #95
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 275 GTB-4 View Post
Correct on all counts, except it was double yellows.
Old 11 Oct 2016, 06:47 (Ref:3679224)   #96
Compromised
Veteran

Ah ok so it's about the conditions, fair enough. Yeah no rain you're right there, that negates a lot of risk. Yellows were out, that makes things safer too. Supercar weighs less than the crane bianchi hit, less weight less impact so safer again.

But...

Conditions were good, so how did Kelly end up in the sand?

Yellows were out, but as peckstar has said, if you look at sector times some drivers seemed to slow for the yellow, others not.

So effectively the conditions are the same and in reality the yellows aren't out because some drivers are ignoring them.

Sound safe?

Look I do agree with you, in theory. Problem is in reality some drivers feel above yellow flags and there in lies the problem, not necessarily with the rules themselves.
Old 11 Oct 2016, 08:57 (Ref:3679241)   #97
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Off you go then - go buy all the gear necessary and provide to Supercars as a profitable aside.

I think the last time this got all discussed you needed between $300k-$500k to do it.

I've been a supplier to them in the past - have fun
As usual complete nonsense.Every car has a pit lane speed limiter.Every car sends data such as speed,rpm,gears etc back to TV network when asked.We have all seen this stuff on telecasts.They just send this same data to race control.Watch a WEC race- the race director does a 10 second countdown for cars to get to 60 and another one at the end of the end of the caution period.
Send me the cheque for $500K.
Old 11 Oct 2016, 09:21 (Ref:3679246)   #98
Mixer
Veteran

Not even close, a hopeless oversimplification of what is required.
Old 11 Oct 2016, 10:13 (Ref:3679253)   #99
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Seems to me that yellows are now taken to mean simply "no passing"

I was taught that yellows mean caution, slow down AND no passing

I didn't see Whincup do the first two...

He was intent on gapping the field to negate the 15sec penalty.

What if by blasting past the yellow at warp speed (whilst Willy D obeyed the flags and slowed down) Whincup was able to get sufficient gap to still win despite the penalty?

Now THAT would have been interesting for the stewards!
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19
Old 11 Oct 2016, 10:20 (Ref:3679254)   #100
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Wouldn't it be up to CAMS to fund that??

Maybe they can put the money into Code 60's instead of Formula 4...