Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 23 Oct 2012, 18:40 (Ref:3156627)   #1
Greg Cozier
Racer

Barbados
Barbados
Greg Cozier should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you could re-invent RallyCross, what would you change?

Is the heat system too complicated?

Are races too short or too long?

What format? Qualifying Friday night, racing Saturday night OK?

Anything else that would make it better to watch?
Old 23 Oct 2012, 19:07 (Ref:3156641)   #2
yesnomaybe
Racer

yesnomaybe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
removal of the joker lap, it just splits the battles up, i'd prefer to see the fastest cars close together for the race duration, simplification/almalgamation of the classes
Old 23 Oct 2012, 19:08 (Ref:3156642)   #3
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Clive Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Cozier View Post
Qualifying Friday night, racing Saturday night OK?
Errrm.... It's dark at night, and the cars don't have fully functioning lights. How would a), the spectators see the cars, and b), the drivers see where they were going?
Old 23 Oct 2012, 19:24 (Ref:3156647)   #4
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesnomaybe View Post
removal of the joker lap, it just splits the battles up, i'd prefer to see the fastest cars close together for the race duration, simplification/almalgamation of the classes
That's about it really.
Old 23 Oct 2012, 19:48 (Ref:3156658)   #5
Greg Cozier
Racer

Barbados
Barbados
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive Brown View Post
Errrm.... It's dark at night, and the cars don't have fully functioning lights. How would a), the spectators see the cars, and b), the drivers see where they were going?
Flood-lit track like NASCAR and US ovals. We've done it several times before, quite easy to do with mobile genset/light towers like used on work sites.
Old 23 Oct 2012, 19:59 (Ref:3156662)   #6
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Clive Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Flood-lit track like NASCAR and US ovals. We've done it several times before, quite easy to do with mobile genset/light towers like used on work sites.
I thought you might say that, but who is going to fund all that kit in a branch of motorsport that to be frank, barely has a pot in which to urinate?
Old 23 Oct 2012, 20:02 (Ref:3156664)   #7
Mad Mark Watson
Racer

England
barnard castle
Mad Mark Watson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
rallycross at Rockingham ! thats what i would like to see !
Old 23 Oct 2012, 20:55 (Ref:3156690)   #8
rallycrossnl
Racer

Netherlands
rallycrossnl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I might have a few teensy weensy adjustments to suggest .
Most are in the ERC2013 topic.

Rewrite the stupid rules. We all know there's loads of errors in there.
Re-install the clerck of the course and race director in their position.
Restrict the power and the sphere of influence of the 'meeting of the stewards'. We all know that's needed.
Get a promotor in that has a good track record in car sports, let them promote. No take over, just to the publicity side of the sport for the whole of Europa. Yes, Europa, W(orld)RX is just a funny thought for a once a year race of champions between ERC/GRC/ S(outh america)RC A(sia)RX etc.
They also will have to bring in the experts that get all the ERC drivers bigger sponsors/contracts/travelmoney/team outfitting money. Not just say, hé, you will be on telly in (fill in some obscure far away country) and that will bring your sponsor gazillions. Guide them, help them, bring in the big bucks.
Line up the future, with good support classes, a young drivers academy.
And they better have a good plan and the full contacts and contracts before they want drivers and tracks to signup. No, Oh yeah it will be on telly, euh somewhere, not known to us yet...'.

Jokerlap, hmm on some tracks it works. I'd say let the drivers have a vote, per track. It did change a lot of runs outcome, it takes tactics, it did cost a few cars.. , it brought some great images etc.

Night/evening race under floodlights. Blyton has it, Marshall (Detroit) has it. Could be fun, for the WRX race of champions event to broadcast live in the right countries at primetime.

So yes, the cars run on part dirt part tarmac tracks but it needs a 2013(and 14/15/16.....) update at the office end of it
Old 23 Oct 2012, 21:53 (Ref:3156717)   #9
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Formula A, Formula B, Formula C. Minicross.

Easy really
Old 23 Oct 2012, 22:21 (Ref:3156733)   #10
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rid of the joker lap. Definitely.

Get rallycross back on the BBC.
Old 23 Oct 2012, 22:37 (Ref:3156738)   #11
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
leonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridleonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1. Ditch the joker lap.
2. Run on Saturday nights like stock cars to build up public following.
3. End complex class structure.
4. Seed the heats for close racing. Then fastest cars get in the A final, slowest in the Z final. Simple rules that everyone understands.
5. Meetings all year round for clubmen.
Old 23 Oct 2012, 23:22 (Ref:3156754)   #12
USRallycross
Racer

United States
Minnesota (the True North)
USRallycross should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe this is more focused on Barbados?

More time of the stars on track - One of the proposals I do like in the IMG is the amount of time you will see the big names on track. Fans pay good money and should see their favorites as much as possible

More power - open up the restrictor so the cars are more difficult to handle

Driver Introductions - create more of a brand around the drivers/cars so they are known faces

Mix of surfaces - good mix of surfaces and be smart where you add the loose vs. the tarmac. Some great ERC tracks to learn from

Mark
Fat Yellow Pig
Old 23 Oct 2012, 23:42 (Ref:3156765)   #13
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesnomaybe View Post
And this...More power - open up the restrictor so the cars are more difficult to handle!

Simple. Let's not over complicate things!
Old 24 Oct 2012, 07:29 (Ref:3156867)   #14
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
AndyS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Get rid of the joker lap. Come up with an easy to understand class structure that caters for drivers on all budgets and ensures a good variety of cars, not three classes like the ERC where the cars increasingly look all the same.
Old 24 Oct 2012, 09:05 (Ref:3156893)   #15
Janneman
Rookie

Netherlands
Janneman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
- A different format for the Jokerlap. Get rid of it or that it may only be used from the second lap.

- One clerck of the couse for all events

- a promotor for all events, one that doesn't interfere with how rallycross is done

- al least 30% gravel and that gravel is gravel and not the normal track with some dirt on it...

- go back to a one-day event, way to much doing nothing now
Old 24 Oct 2012, 09:59 (Ref:3156913)   #16
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Repeating points that have already been made, but my suggestions:

- Ditch the joker (or alternatively, if it has to stay, then restrict its use as Janneman has suggested).

- Simplification of classes.

- One independent clerk for the whole season.

- Proper gravel sections: not just dirty tarmac!
Old 24 Oct 2012, 10:32 (Ref:3156932)   #17
Greg Cozier
Racer

Barbados
Barbados
I am shocked at how many people don't like the joker lap.

I first saw it working at Lydden Hill and found it confusing at first but once I understood it I thought it was a stroke of genius. I would agree that the main effect is to create passing opportunities on a circuit that is tight and has limited passing opportunities and therefore is not always necessary. Vaucluse Raceway is huge, it would not be strictly necessary and the one rallycross event we had there was no joker and the drivers were all happy (and not confused).

There would be 8 classes:
Supercar
Super 2000
Super 1600
Classic GT
Classic 2000
Classic 1600
Swifts
600 buggies (for juniors like Autograss)

Qualifying would be Friday evening and racing Saturday afternoon/night. It is very hot here and even hotter sitting in a race car. Also leaves Sunday for a big pirate ship prize-giving party cruise.

None of our track is 'paved' in the traditional circuit sense. It is mostly sealed in various forms so there is no rutting and no dust to speak of but that is by different treatments of the aggregate.

I find the heat system to be total confusion. I'm thinking we'd run qualification as three laps from a 10-sec staggered start grid of no more than 5 cars so everyone had clear track with the fastest lap counting. Heats would be as GRC with the fastest two from each heat going towards a single final of six cars.

Please keep the ideas coming, I'm writing the regs now.
Old 24 Oct 2012, 10:45 (Ref:3156939)   #18
rallycrossnl
Racer

Netherlands
Quote:
Also leaves Sunday for a big pirate ship prize-giving party cruise.
IMG clearly missed out on that one, arrr
Old 24 Oct 2012, 10:56 (Ref:3156947)   #19
Janneman
Rookie

Netherlands
Janneman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I am shocked at how many people don't like the joker lap.

I first saw it working at Lydden Hill Super 1600
Lydden is the perfect sample of how a joker should NOT be used (or placed in a circuit). Even before the first corner the starting group is split in 2 and the angle is out regarding spectacle. That's why I suggest to change the rules and the first lap is without using the Jokerlap.
Old 24 Oct 2012, 11:23 (Ref:3156959)   #20
rallycrossnl
Racer

Netherlands
I think that's very smart.
While the tracks were there, the mandatory jokerlap were build 'at the best possible place', i.e. without rebuilding the entire track, to limited costs at the limited space of the tracks grounds. Although at Lydden and other tracks where this is practiced, it takes pressure of the first corner crowdiness.
Old 24 Oct 2012, 11:41 (Ref:3156963)   #21
Greg Cozier
Racer

Barbados
Barbados
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janneman View Post
Lydden is the perfect sample of how a joker should NOT be used (or placed in a circuit). Even before the first corner the starting group is split in 2 and the angle is out regarding spectacle. That's why I suggest to change the rules and the first lap is without using the Jokerlap.

That makes perfect sense. 5 car grids, 6 lap races, no joker for anyone on the first lap.
Old 24 Oct 2012, 11:47 (Ref:3156968)   #22
stuart107
Racer

England
Faversham
stuart107 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonidas View Post
1. Ditch the joker lap.
2. Run on Saturday nights like stock cars to build up public following.
3. End complex class structure.
4. Seed the heats for close racing. Then fastest cars get in the A final, slowest in the Z final. Simple rules that everyone understands.
5. Meetings all year round for clubmen.
I have thought something similar to a couple of your points for a while now.

I think you need to keep a Class structure though, but maybe simplify it. Drivers like to race for trophies at the end of the year!

1. The main area I would like to see tried is the race day format.

Free practice
Timed Qualifying
1st heats - based on qualifying times (mixed classes)
2nd heats - based on times from 1st heats (mixed classes)
3rd heats - based on times from 2nd heats (mixed classes)
Finals - Run in classes with grids determined by total of best two times in the heats.

This way, cars/drivers of similar speeds will always run together through the heats, so from a spectators point of view, the action on track will be much closer. You would also have full grids of cars throughout the heats, which may result in less races being needed, which would also help with event timing issues. Finals run in classes so that class championship points can be awarded.

2. Regarding the joker lap, as a driver I like it. It adds some strategy to the races. But, I can see where it can confuse spectators and on the basis that the above model is to promote closer racing, I'd have to say it needs to be ditched.

3. I'd also like to see a much better championship website that isn't so biased to just one or two Supercar drivers. One that has regular updates and maybe has features on drivers throughout ALL classes.
Old 24 Oct 2012, 12:04 (Ref:3156977)   #23
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
AndyS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

There would be 8 classes:
Supercar
Super 2000
Super 1600
Classic GT
Classic 2000
Classic 1600
Swifts
600 buggies (for juniors like Autograss)
Don't forget the Super National's (unlimited 2WD), one of the most interesting and varied classes.
Old 24 Oct 2012, 14:35 (Ref:3157038)   #24
Greg Cozier
Racer

Barbados
Barbados
Why would the ERC differentiate between FWD and RWD cars? I.e., why is the 2000 class not for all 2ltr cars rather than just RWD?
Old 24 Oct 2012, 14:57 (Ref:3157048)   #25
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Greg, really, you honestly dont need 8 bloody classes!

You might have an idea where you are, but that is what we have now, all lowly subscribed and all struggling.

Back to drawing board mate