Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 Nov 2009, 01:23 (Ref:2587494)   #26
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I did find one place that said 5.5km, but there's no diagram to go with it to try and verify anything.

Was there anything printed on the masterplan that I might have missed?

I also realize, if the track is 5.5km, or thereabouts, that start/finish straight will be VERY long; I mean, it looks like about a quarter of the total lap distance.
Old 23 Nov 2009, 01:29 (Ref:2587497)   #27
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Whoever said I liked baseball? I think watching paint dry is more interesting.
I have to agree. A good, high quality gloss, put on with the right brush, on top of a suitable undercoat, takes some beating.
Old 27 Mar 2010, 14:19 (Ref:2661035)   #28
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In the light of Bernie's talk of a USA round, can I bump this and suggest that, looking at Google Earth, it looks like the circuit isn't that well in progress, and may not happen. Perhaps Bernie's talk of the street race in New York is a bit of a hurry-up ...
Old 27 Mar 2010, 14:24 (Ref:2661037)   #29
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Google Earth's images aren't exactly live, though, are they?
Old 27 Mar 2010, 14:31 (Ref:2661042)   #30
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Of course.
Old 27 Mar 2010, 16:33 (Ref:2661080)   #31
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
3 months lag...
Old 27 Mar 2010, 18:24 (Ref:2661129)   #32
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster View Post
In the light of Bernie's talk of a USA round, can I bump this and suggest that, looking at Google Earth, it looks like the circuit isn't that well in progress, and may not happen. Perhaps Bernie's talk of the street race in New York is a bit of a hurry-up ...
Maybe if he was actually pushing for a GP in New York. Bernie is pushing for a USGP like Raikkonen was with an F1 seat last year. Pay me the money, or bugger off.

No one has the money to pay him.
Old 27 Mar 2010, 18:45 (Ref:2661153)   #33
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
The Indian government is completely sensible and correct not to funnel tonnes of public funds into Bernie's back pocket. As for the track, I will wait and see as you never really know until it exists as a finished product you see some races on it. From the layout map thing, it looks remarkably uninspiring (although it doesn't scream evil at you).

Do we have any confirmation on how long it is?
Old 27 Mar 2010, 21:31 (Ref:2661248)   #34
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
5.5km is what I heard.
Old 27 Mar 2010, 22:11 (Ref:2661264)   #35
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Rumour has it that the entire operation is being overseen by a Mr Simon Gillett. Rumour also has it that he has plans to put a tunnel under the Taj Mahal.
Where will the tunnel lead to?
Old 30 Mar 2010, 13:46 (Ref:2663503)   #36
mjolnir
Racer

Australia
Sydney
mjolnir should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Where will the tunnel lead to?
that's actually the pit exit...
Old 30 Mar 2010, 13:54 (Ref:2663509)   #37
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjolnir View Post
that's actually the pit exit...
The Taj Mahal is over 150 miles away, that's a very long tunnel, I mean pit exit.
Old 30 Mar 2010, 15:50 (Ref:2663591)   #38
nea
Racer

England
Saltaire, UK
nea should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The Taj Mahal is over 150 miles away, that's a very long tunnel, I mean pit exit.
Just more of it to flood...
Old 30 Mar 2010, 16:01 (Ref:2663595)   #39
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ_HCR32 View Post
I think that is the best place for it. I cant see it happening and having worked in India the past 18 months i cant see anybody being particularly interested in paying the usual GP ticket prices...+ Indian govt has already stated that Motorsport-F1 is not a sport and not eligible for govt assistance meaning it has to be built with private money...+ there are so many better places to be having a GP
Rather to my surprise, I find myself in complete agreement with the Indian Government.

Like the UK's premier league footie, F1 is a business and the money needs to come from those who are going to benefit from it.

Of course, it may well be that some governments feel that there is tourist trade/prestige to be garnered from F1 and decide to support it on that basis but it's not because it is a sport.

Regards

Jim
Old 30 Mar 2010, 18:20 (Ref:2663661)   #40
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by nea View Post
Just more of it to flood...
Oh dear god.
Old 30 Mar 2010, 23:41 (Ref:2663901)   #41
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW View Post
Rather to my surprise, I find myself in complete agreement with the Indian Government.

Like the UK's premier league footie, F1 is a business and the money needs to come from those who are going to benefit from it.

Of course, it may well be that some governments feel that there is tourist trade/prestige to be garnered from F1 and decide to support it on that basis but it's not because it is a sport.

Regards

Jim
That's right I'm with you on that.
Old 23 Sep 2010, 08:06 (Ref:2763395)   #42
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So with all the chaos around the Commonwealth games, I wonder if Bernie is happy about his back to turn his back on traditional venues in his attempt to take F1 to places who dont care about F1
Old 23 Sep 2010, 08:27 (Ref:2763411)   #43
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
So with all the chaos around the Commonwealth games, I wonder if Bernie is happy about his back to turn his back on traditional venues in his attempt to take F1 to places who dont care about F1
Quite.

I'm thinking of the proverbial drinking session, scheduled to take place in a building devoted to the manufacture of malt based alcoholic beverages.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 23 Sep 2010, 10:12 (Ref:2763445)   #44
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
cool story bro alert - the company i work for is currently in the middle of a project involving the construction of a factory in a city in india. the story has been exactly the same as the commonwealth games venues. it will be ready. you must send the equipment for installation. we will finish the factory in 3 weeks. but it takes 4 weeks for the concrete to cure adequately in good weather let alone the middle of the monsoon. there are people working 24 hours a day. there is clearly no-one at the site. and so on.

bearing in mind they have been working through the monsoon at the circuit site it would be inappropriate to compare the circuit progress with say, koreas progress at the number of months before the event is due to take place. but if i were bernie i'd be sending people there with 4 months to go to do some serious analysis of the project and making sure everything is on track according to an external organisations expectations rather than the local contractors...
Old 24 Sep 2010, 06:30 (Ref:2763838)   #45
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
A good point, which I think that begs the question, is the Indian Grand Prix necessary?
Old 24 Sep 2010, 07:09 (Ref:2763845)   #46
RF_Racer
Veteran

RF_Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
India was a big mistake. The country lacks the experience and infrastructure to host a world class event. Just look at the mess they are making of the commonwealth games.
Old 24 Sep 2010, 07:58 (Ref:2763859)   #47
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by RF_Racer View Post
India was a big mistake. The country lacks the experience and infrastructure to host a world class event. Just look at the mess they are making of the commonwealth games.
South Korea appears to be in the balance, so what is the point? Global domination by F1; the empire on which the sun never sets?
Old 24 Sep 2010, 09:39 (Ref:2763907)   #48
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
A good point, which I think that begs the question, is the Indian Grand Prix necessary?
well if you imagine india was say, in the middle of the european countries, perhaps somewhere like switzerland, you would say yes, it's a smart place to be because people from the surrounding countries will travel in and stay in the local area.

sadly it's not, it's in a generally poorer area of the world where an awful lot of people live in conditions europeans wouldn't allow their pets to live in. bernie or whoever thinking that the general fans can afford to do the same from surrounding countries is just daft. the vips with the money can afford to go elsewhere with more prestige or better facilities. it's the same arrogance involved with the organisation of big sporting events like the world cup, commonwealth games and olympic games.

that said, it's important to branch out, encourage tourism and show the world that these places are open for business and available for everyone, not just the gap year backpackers. i'm just not sure overpriveleged sporting events are the way to do that.
Old 24 Sep 2010, 09:54 (Ref:2763917)   #49
Wims
Veteran

Norway
Wims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are more than 2x the amount of people living in India compared to the whole of europe. Of course its an important location for a race. And even tho the majority of the people in India are poor, with over 1 billion inhabitants, im sure you'd be able to find enough rich people to fill up a formula one venue :P
Old 24 Sep 2010, 09:54 (Ref:2763918)   #50
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
India is a highly populated country with enormous potential but it has huge extremes of poverty and the infrastructure problems are immense.

I know this from prsonal experience on the ground there.
The recent Commonwealth games criticism is valid and should not come as a surprise. Incompetence and corruption seem endemic.

How that will affect the project remains to be seen.