Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 18 Jun 2009, 01:12 (Ref:2485619)   #1
trahsub
Racer

United States
Long Island, NY
trahsub should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Petit Le Mans, where to stay

My buddy and I are planning on making the trip down to ATL for this year's race and I was curious where people typically stay? I know camping is popular but we are flying and don't want to deal with packing gear.

I guess I'd ask if there is any nightlife in the Road Atlanta area, and if so, what town is the best bet to have some fun at night while still being relatively close (30 miles) to the track?
Old 18 Jun 2009, 01:33 (Ref:2485627)   #2
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by trahsub View Post
My buddy and I are planning on making the trip down to ATL for this year's race and I was curious where people typically stay? I know camping is popular but we are flying and don't want to deal with packing gear.

I guess I'd ask if there is any nightlife in the Road Atlanta area, and if so, what town is the best bet to have some fun at night while still being relatively close (30 miles) to the track?
I would say make arrangements to camp! There is some good camping (and nightlife) at the track. In 2000 I flew to Sebring with camping gear and rented a car and then went shopping for whatever food and such I needed. Don't know if that is possible now with the rules regarding airline luggage weight limits, but it is defiantly worth exploring.
Old 18 Jun 2009, 03:40 (Ref:2485657)   #3
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
also, what day would most say is the best to arrive? Thinking about trying to get don there but need to rent a car (broke college student without one) and trying to estimate my costs. definitely thinking camping's the only way to go for me.
Old 18 Jun 2009, 03:51 (Ref:2485659)   #4
Flyin Ryan
Veteran

United States
Carolina del Norte
Flyin Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

If you want any nightlife (and aren't going to camp at the track) you're going to have to stay south in Atlanta. Not much in Braselton.
Old 18 Jun 2009, 04:22 (Ref:2485664)   #5
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I would advise against camping in a tent as it is a little cold at night. Get in Wednesday night and enjoy Thursday at the track as the paddock is open and the evening practice is a must. There is no night life I know of except in Atlanta. If you want decent accomodations for a reasonable price Commerce is good. The Best Western is where I stay. It is about 20 mi. north and the hotels have a large variety of restaurants right by them. You can stay in Gainesville which is a little closer but the hotels tend to cost a little more and there are some rougher areas IMO.
Old 18 Jun 2009, 08:22 (Ref:2485753)   #6
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan View Post
I would advise against camping in a tent as it is a little cold at night.
I've stayed in a tent the last two years at PLM. I don't think it's gotten below 60F at night, which is hardly what one would call too cold at night. Even if there is a cold spell, something called Sleeping bags should keep you warm easily down into the 30's, if you are prepared.
Old 18 Jun 2009, 09:14 (Ref:2485778)   #7
jc_nl
Racer

Netherlands
Dedemsvaart
jc_nl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
An other option would be to rent a (small) rv, that way you have transportation to and from the track, and a comfortable place to stay in, way better then a tent.

That what we will be doing again this year (although our trip won't start in Atalanta but in New York :P), it worked realy well for us the 2007 race, it is an option that should be considerd IMO.
Old 18 Jun 2009, 13:32 (Ref:2485915)   #8
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan View Post
I would advise against camping in a tent as it is a little cold at night. Get in Wednesday night and enjoy Thursday at the track as the paddock is open and the evening practice is a must. There is no night life I know of except in Atlanta. If you want decent accomodations for a reasonable price Commerce is good. The Best Western is where I stay. It is about 20 mi. north and the hotels have a large variety of restaurants right by them. You can stay in Gainesville which is a little closer but the hotels tend to cost a little more and there are some rougher areas IMO.

You're from Canada and you think Atlanta is cold?

There can be a temp swing from day to night, and over the years there have been some colder nights for sure, but it's much nicer to camp in the cool than in the hot muggy nights.
Old 18 Jun 2009, 13:35 (Ref:2485917)   #9
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
also, what day would most say is the best to arrive? Thinking about trying to get don there but need to rent a car (broke college student without one) and trying to estimate my costs. definitely thinking camping's the only way to go for me.
To get a good camping spot I usually get there wednesday evening or Thursday morning. There are showers at the track too (some nicer than others). I usually just bring all the food and drink that I need and depending on the heat i sometimes have to make an ice run. But staying at the track is reasonable - much cheaper than hotels plus you can bring a grill and do all your cooking and save money that way.
Old 18 Jun 2009, 14:47 (Ref:2485942)   #10
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
come stay with the turn 4 crew if you want.
athens is about 45 minutes (33 miles) through the "countryside" from the track. it is a college town with more bars per square mile than the FrenchQuarter in NewOrleans and lots AND LOTS of hot (mostly college aged) women. i was borned&raised here and still reside here, but i've camped for the last 9 PLMs. not sure of the hotel rates, but you could find one within stumblin' distances of the nightlife. still, athens is a short drive. i know Commerce, Winder and Braselton have very little if no nightlife, but i am unsure of Gainesville. Hot 'lanta has great night life if you are looking to pay lots of money for drinks and a cab as well as interstates to and from the track.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
You're from Canada and you think Atlanta is cold?
my sentiments, exactly...
september/october in North GA is actually quite pleasent...cool nights and "not too" hot days. bring a long sleeve shirt and your tank top
and rain gear, too!
Old 18 Jun 2009, 16:05 (Ref:2485970)   #11
trahsub
Racer

United States
Long Island, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
come stay with the turn 4 crew if you want.
athens is about 45 minutes (33 miles) through the "countryside" from the track. it is a college town with more bars per square mile than the FrenchQuarter in NewOrleans and lots AND LOTS of hot (mostly college aged) women. i was borned&raised here and still reside here, but i've camped for the last 9 PLMs. not sure of the hotel rates, but you could find one within stumblin' distances of the nightlife. still, athens is a short drive.
Now that's what I'm talking about! I will defintiely consider Athens, and that town did pop up in my search.
Old 18 Jun 2009, 16:11 (Ref:2485974)   #12
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Only losers camp in turn 4... oh wait.

Nightlife is an hour + drive from the track... it's in the sticks. I know it would be a pain, but I'd fly in and stop at one of the multitude of wally worlds along the way and pick up some cheap gear. Even after you buy a tent, sleeping bags, grill, and supplies, you'll still be less than $200 and save the hotel cost.

As said above, prepare for rain. Don't wear anything your not willing to leave behind.
Old 18 Jun 2009, 16:13 (Ref:2485975)   #13
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Now that's what I'm talking about! I will defintiely consider Athens, and that town did pop up in my search.
Athens is a great town, just be prepared for the barking... woof woof
Old 18 Jun 2009, 17:53 (Ref:2486026)   #14
trahsub
Racer

United States
Long Island, NY
What's the story with Duluth or Lawerenceville? They seem to be a little more direct to Road Atlanta and getting back to the airport in ATL. Is it about 30 mins to get to the track? Is one of these towns nicer to stay in than the other. I'd prefer not to stay in a rough part of Atlanta, but I have very limited knowledge of the metro.
Old 18 Jun 2009, 19:59 (Ref:2486079)   #15
prototype
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, Georgia
prototype should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you stay in the north part of Atlanta you will be fine. I live in Atlanta, so you can PM me if you would like. If you are just going to stay at a hotel, I would stay in one close to Braselton. Probably a little cheaper, and there is nothing for tourist to do in Duluth or Lawrenceville.

Things a tourist can do in Atlanta: (not a great tourist town)
Buckhead for the bars and clubs
Georgia Aquarium / Centennial Park / World of Coke
Atlanta Braves Game
Stone Mountain
High Musuem of Art
Fox Theatre
Old 18 Jun 2009, 20:42 (Ref:2486111)   #16
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
Quote:
What's the story with Duluth or Lawerenceville? They seem to be a little more direct to Road Atlanta and getting back to the airport in ATL. Is it about 30 mins to get to the track? Is one of these towns nicer to stay in than the other. I'd prefer not to stay in a rough part of Atlanta, but I have very limited knowledge of the metro.
They're suburbs. You won't be able to tell when you've left one and entered the other. 30-40 minutes (depending on how far off of 85 you are) is about right. There's some shady areas in each, but they're not bad. I agree with proto, if your staying outside Atl., stay closer to Braselton. Somewhere around the Mall of GA (I think that's Buford) would be good. FWIW, the nighlife in Atlanta is in Midtown and Virginia Highlands as they have closed most of the bars/clubs in Buckhead.
Old 18 Jun 2009, 21:47 (Ref:2486141)   #17
trahsub
Racer

United States
Long Island, NY
Thanks for the tips. Also, it turns out I have a ton going for PLM weekend, and while I really plan on being down there for the race, would a trip be worth it if one were to go to the track for just Thursday and Friday? I imagine the paddock will be a little easier to navigate and teams more approachable, and I'd catch practice and qualifying. But is it enough to justify the trip if I left Friday night?
Old 18 Jun 2009, 22:14 (Ref:2486158)   #18
CarolK
Racer

United States
Texas
CarolK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Thanks for the tips. Also, it turns out I have a ton going for PLM weekend, and while I really plan on being down there for the race, would a trip be worth it if one were to go to the track for just Thursday and Friday? I imagine the paddock will be a little easier to navigate and teams more approachable, and I'd catch practice and qualifying. But is it enough to justify the trip if I left Friday night?
The best part is the race. You might consider Sebring in March instead. FYI, I just added Thursday night to our existing reservations at the Best Western in Brasleton - can't get any closer or convenient so chances are there's still rooms available.

Carol
Old 19 Jun 2009, 15:35 (Ref:2486594)   #19
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
Only losers camp in turn 4... oh wait.
or is it turn 3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
Athens is a great town, just be prepared for the barking... woof woof
had to go there, didn't you?
buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....go away insect!

Ca-Cauh!
Old 19 Jun 2009, 15:42 (Ref:2486596)   #20
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
if you come all the way, you ought to stay for at least the first few hours of the race. the race day atmosphere has become more intense over the years and would be well worth sticking around.
however, thursday and friday are great with the support races and q'ing sessions (which have been awesome the last few years as well). yes, the paddock areas are a lot less crowded on t & f, but it would be worth it to stick around until at least 9 pm saturday.
if you've never been to RoadATL, you MAY feel satisfied after 2 days, which will justify the trip...but after the first two, you may find yourself wanting to stay, because it is a fantastic facility for the spectators.
Old 19 Jun 2009, 16:41 (Ref:2486615)   #21
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
if you come all the way, you ought to stay for at least the first few hours of the race. the race day atmosphere has become more intense over the years and would be well worth sticking around.
however, thursday and friday are great with the support races and q'ing sessions (which have been awesome the last few years as well). yes, the paddock areas are a lot less crowded on t & f, but it would be worth it to stick around until at least 9 pm saturday.
if you've never been to RoadATL, you MAY feel satisfied after 2 days, which will justify the trip...but after the first two, you may find yourself wanting to stay, because it is a fantastic facility for the spectators.
Agreed. Although my favorite part of the weekend is night practice, once you get there, you won't want to leave.