Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 14 Aug 2002, 18:52 (Ref:357847)   #1
Peter Scillitoe
Racer

North Korea
Peoples Democratic Republic of Medway
Peter Scillitoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brands Hatch Toca Tour: 25/26 August 2002

In between worrying about how to wash my Probans, and whether to wear gloves or not, I thought it was time somebody started this thread. So, who is down to marshal this meeting?
Old 15 Aug 2002, 08:37 (Ref:358174)   #2
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
for my sins - probably - both days
(in dirty 3 year old Probans with religious (ie holey) gloves that are not worn continuously)

At least with TOCA theres plenty of time for lunch and an early finish to Sunday.
Old 15 Aug 2002, 08:40 (Ref:358175)   #3
pinki
Racer

United Kingdom
Kent, England
pinki should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll be there Peter, it also looks like I'm doing the test day on the Saturday as well, Mrs Pinki will be happy.

Got my paperwork yesterday and it looks like the banks will be sensibly manned even though the Sunday looks to be a very boring day.
Old 15 Aug 2002, 12:55 (Ref:358317)   #4
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
Well, for our sins, we'll be spectating on the Sunday (hoping to visit some of the posts, subject to my pusher!!!!!) and suffering the corporate hosilities on the Monday, curtesy of John B&Q (good fellow!).

And as we are staying at the Thistle overnight, who's up for a drink at the Kentagon after Sunday's events?

Steve & Jackie Tarrant
Old 15 Aug 2002, 13:55 (Ref:358350)   #5
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Yo dudes (and dudesses) I'm there Sunday and Monday. No gloves, nice probans freshly washed and ironed, red trainers suitably polished to clash with flags, dodgy Silverstone GP cap, black glasses (standard issue to all Observers these days, especially old uns like me) and a white stick so I can beat Plato...Arghhhhh, he's not there is he, he's in bl**dy Ascar causing havoc nowadays!
Old 15 Aug 2002, 13:55 (Ref:358351)   #6
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
ps: how long before Richard reads this and replies? *sniggers*
Old 15 Aug 2002, 16:05 (Ref:358424)   #7
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
Always up for a beer after a Toca day. Well, after any day actually.

See you in the bar Steve.

Alasdair
Old 15 Aug 2002, 16:24 (Ref:358433)   #8
Peter Scillitoe
Racer

North Korea
Peoples Democratic Republic of Medway
Peter Scillitoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Tarrant
And as we are staying at the Thistle overnight, who's up for a drink at the Kentagon after Sunday's events?
Looking forward to it.
Old 15 Aug 2002, 18:17 (Ref:358522)   #9
wiggles
Rookie

wiggles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yup, i'll be there both days. First TOCA meeting as a marshal!

According to the BARC correspondence I got yesterday, it looks like there will be a good turnout from the boys and girls in orange.
Old 15 Aug 2002, 19:32 (Ref:358585)   #10
spanner
Veteran

United Kingdom
Mid Beds, "The UK's rubbish dump"
spanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep, down for both days, still drying out from the last one here at Knockhill,just hope that its a bit drier next time
Old 15 Aug 2002, 22:32 (Ref:358753)   #11
manicmarshal
Racer

manicmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well last years BTCC at brands was very wet, so i wouldn't bank on it being drier than knockhill!!! I should be there but unfortunately have now been rota'd on to work (grrr!)might make it for a spectate on Monday afternoon.

me (aka soozw on other forums)
Old 16 Aug 2002, 06:55 (Ref:358856)   #12
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Hi Sooz and a big welcome to ten-tenths!
Old 19 Aug 2002, 12:48 (Ref:361185)   #13
Teletubby
Veteran

England
Hampshire
Teletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTeletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'll be there crewing the Medical car for both days.
Old 27 Aug 2002, 07:16 (Ref:366412)   #14
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Good to see you again Martin. Wasn't yesterday bloody cold!!!
Old 27 Aug 2002, 09:03 (Ref:366445)   #15
pinki
Racer

United Kingdom
Kent, England
Well I don't know about the rest of you but I thought yesterdays feature race was a peach. I haven't seen racing like that since the good ol' days.

I was a little gutted to have missed the FFord race but I did see some of it from race control and I didn't get wet
Old 27 Aug 2002, 09:08 (Ref:366448)   #16
wiggles
Rookie

Yeah it was pretty good wasn't it? I got to watch it from the fire point at the bottom of post 6 and you really get a sense of speed and the 'thrill' of racing when the cars come hurtling down the hill from Druids.
Old 27 Aug 2002, 09:16 (Ref:366449)   #17
Teletubby
Veteran

England
Hampshire
Teletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTeletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nah Stephen, we turned the aircon off yesterday!

Feature race was bloody good though, I actually watched it from post 24.
Old 27 Aug 2002, 09:29 (Ref:366453)   #18
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Okay, so who was driving in the safety car this weekend then ? Gerry Mahoney again ? It looked like a rank amateur from where I was standing!

Does anyone know whatthe procedure would have been if he had been pushed off the track by the pack of touring cars which he suddenly pulled out the end of pitlane in front of ? With no lights and seemingly no warning he was there right in the middle of a pack of about 5 or 6 cars who were racing for the lead as they went down Paddock Hill Bend. I was told that the safety car had been banned from joining at that point for safety reasons and should have been joining from the bottom end of the middle paddock - is this correct ?
Old 27 Aug 2002, 09:57 (Ref:366464)   #19
wiggles
Rookie

Hmm... Isn't it up to race control to deceide when and where to release the safety car? Not the driver?
Old 27 Aug 2002, 10:25 (Ref:366478)   #20
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
I have no idea - that is why I'm asking - but, even if he had been told to pull onto the track, surely he should make sure it was safe to do so ? The way it arrived in the middle of that battle certainly was not safe and I had visions of it being pushed down Paddock Hill sideways by one of the leaders.

Another question - what exactly do the lights signify ? Should they be on when they enter a live race track or do they only come on once it is up to speed and no more cars are allowed to pass it ?
Old 27 Aug 2002, 11:22 (Ref:366511)   #21
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
On the subject of safety cars what's the proceedure for letting cars pass. During the feature race the SC picked up the Production leader (Simon) rather than the race leader. It then waited for the hazard to be cleared before letting the front 5 or 6 cars through to race round and join the back of the queue. Effectively that meant another 2 safety car laps while they caught up. Less of a problem at Brands but could have been much more at a longer track. Shouldn't the safety car allow those cars though earlier. That way racing can re-start as soon as possible after the hazard is cleared.
Old 27 Aug 2002, 11:41 (Ref:366526)   #22
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
At most meetings the safety car jojns the circuit along bottom straight or between posts 8 and 9. By doing so the drivers have more chance to see it and are of course going somewhat slower at that part of the circuit.

To my knowledge it should have the flashing lights on as it leaves the pit lane/joins the track. Once the circuit is clear the safety car does about half a lap with the lights out before pulling into the pit lane. As for waving the slower cars through, I believe it was done after the marshals had removed the obstruction from the track which is of course the safest way to do it. Once the circuit was clear then they were able to wave the back markers through and pick up the race leaders.

I have to be honest and say that I didn't think the safety car managed to pick up the leader on any occasion it was used over the weekend which in my opinion is pretty poor and a sad reflection of race control.
Old 27 Aug 2002, 11:42 (Ref:366528)   #23
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Red, good to see your website and that of ten-tenths on the B+Q cars!!!
Old 27 Aug 2002, 11:58 (Ref:366549)   #24
pinki
Racer

United Kingdom
Kent, England
I seriously thought I was going to have to write a report that went something like this .....

Safety Car made contact with Car 11 which caused both to spin, Car 12 then made contact with rear of Car 11 and all three came to rest in gravel trap. Requested Safety Car and Snatch Crews but told that the other one was collecting lunch for Race Control Staff

Seriously though, why is it that no one can run a Safety Car correctly at Brands, they seem to manage at all of the other circuits, answers on a postcard please !!!
Old 27 Aug 2002, 12:42 (Ref:366573)   #25
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Cos the people in charge are inept?