Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 10 Apr 2005, 11:19 (Ref:1274571)   #51
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Looks like I was the only one who was totally underwhelmed by what I saw on Motors! Watching Seat Cupras now - small grid too - but some entertaining racing!
Old 10 Apr 2005, 13:36 (Ref:1274712)   #52
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Second race better - good dice between Collard and Neal for second place - just desperate for more cars so we have two or three battles to watch throughout the race... I fear I am repeating myself
Old 10 Apr 2005, 13:39 (Ref:1274716)   #53
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Agreed...though even then I still don't think we saw all the battles with just 9 runners!

As for the WTCC race I just saw, may aswell just have been 8 cars...from a TV perspective anyway...I'm sure it looked awesome to those who are there - they've gotta sack those race directors!
Old 10 Apr 2005, 13:44 (Ref:1274718)   #54
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Take the BTCC's superb TV coverage and style of circuits (ie not huge great GP tracks) and add the WTCC's huge numbers of cars, superstar drivers and large crowds and we would have something huge. Hopefully something can be done to improve the WTCC coverage.
Old 10 Apr 2005, 14:07 (Ref:1274726)   #55
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
DNFing doesn't appear to count with the top 10 reversal (quite rightly IMO)...so only the top 9 (whole finishing pack) will be flipped for race 3...

So Williams' Lexus is on pole! Then the youngens (Hines, Pickford, Smith) in their Seat's & Vauxhall's to follow. Muller will start 9th.
Old 10 Apr 2005, 14:55 (Ref:1274734)   #56
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickstart
BTCC has just moved a hundred miles away from what the spectators and the drivers want as I think they should be spectacular 400bhp plus rear wheel drive cars without driver aids.
But even putting that aside 11 or 12 cars out at Donington is an absolute joke. With MG going bust I hardly think that bodes well for West Surrey's entries.
I was a huge fan of the BTCC in the late 80's-90s watching everthing from the spectacular RS500s on TV to the super touring cars in the flesh.

Since the new regs came into force my interest has dwindled and I am absolutly shocked that there were only '11 or 12 cars' at Donnington.

Edit:- Just saw the start of race one on ITV and it looks pathetic.

With that number of cars I'm suprised the championship is still going!

The current BTCC/WTCC machines are relatively 'slow and unspectacular so you desperatly need a field of 20+ cars to generate any kind excitement, to enthuse the spectators and get them off their backsides and down to the tracks.

I 'was' considering going to Oulton Park this year but with a field of less than 15 you can forget it.

I'll be going to Silverstone in May to watch the FIA GT's and am looking forward to seeing a big field of WTCC cars also.

IMO, the BTCC needs to adopt the S2000 regs NEXT YEAR or it is finnished.

I suppose it is too much to expect the BTCC to adopt some regs that actually produce some exciting cars.

Last edited by JAG; 10 Apr 2005 at 14:57.
Old 10 Apr 2005, 15:01 (Ref:1274737)   #57
MPPIX
Rookie

England
Leeds
MPPIX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi this is my first post (be gentle!!)

Some pics (out of 760 taken) are online here

Mark
Old 10 Apr 2005, 15:09 (Ref:1274741)   #58
Vicki
Veteran

England
Stoke
Vicki should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridVicki should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, I'm recording the races, and support stuff. Just watched race 2, and is my hearing on the blink or did I hear [insert name of lead commentator on Motors here] say the Plato incident was going to be reported to the "Clark"? I still think the racing is good, even with few cars. Oh, and I don't post in here much, so have faith, my knowledge will improve!
Old 10 Apr 2005, 15:43 (Ref:1274752)   #59
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
More likely to be the Clerk, Vicki
Old 10 Apr 2005, 15:51 (Ref:1274754)   #60
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Nice load of pictures there MPPIX.

FF...insert name - Ben Edwards.

Race three....good again. Didn't realise before today that they'd removed the Seat teams handicapped...been fun hearing Plato whine about it, and suffer accordingly - however, he's probably right...it's not fair.

Team Halfords an excellent one-two, and they were racing for it, excellent. Matt Neal surely leaves with the championship lead...excellent.

In an interview inbetween, Alan Gow defending the small grid saying more teams due for Thruxton who didn't get their finances sorted...well, we'll see.
Old 10 Apr 2005, 16:09 (Ref:1274773)   #61
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
GA should get a car out there, Arena might, and second WSR and HPI Lexus entries are possible, but even if all of those come off, 16 is a feeble total for what's meant to be the pinnacle of British motorsport. Maybe some 'Gow-fare' is required to help teams fund tehir efforts, especialyla s there should be plenty of cars available to buy second-hand?

At least the racing was pretty good, the third race seemed action-packed with loads of duelling between the top few cars, and the new cars generally having the upper hand over the SEATs and MG. Great weekend for Matt Neal and Rob Collard in particualr, while Turkington and Plato will just have to hope for better next time.
Old 10 Apr 2005, 17:00 (Ref:1274808)   #62
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Missed the final race sadly - was doing some gardening - did the reverse grid work its magic?
Old 10 Apr 2005, 17:06 (Ref:1274819)   #63
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It did. Although the pole Lexus pulled into the pits at the end of the warm up lap. Plato got in the lead and held everyone up for a few laps. Everyone got past, but it was fun watching them do it.
Old 10 Apr 2005, 17:11 (Ref:1274823)   #64
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Will try and watch out for it if it is repeated later
Old 10 Apr 2005, 17:36 (Ref:1274858)   #65
Vicki
Veteran

England
Stoke
Vicki should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridVicki should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Sowman
More likely to be the Clerk, Vicki
So, was it just my hearing then?
Old 10 Apr 2005, 17:48 (Ref:1274867)   #66
Coops
Rookie

United Kingdom
Coops should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
its a shame that the SCV8 Championship never got off the ground and killed off the BTCC. 12 car grids! what a load of rubish and these cars dont even go as fast as ma road car.

SCV8. REAR WHEEL DRIVE, 600BHP! COME ON!!!!!
Old 10 Apr 2005, 18:02 (Ref:1274876)   #67
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Someone will eventually work out that regardless of the individual vehicle rules, Touring Cars and Sports Cars need to be team sports, not manufacturers. Two makes in Aussie V8s doesn't hurt the grids, and virtually nothing but Porsches wasn't a problem in Group C, and i remember great battles between hordes of Sierras. Make something simple, sell them on to the teams at a sensible price and you'll get a good, long lasting championship. How about awarding manufacturers points to the first 6 cars for each make for a start?
Old 10 Apr 2005, 18:06 (Ref:1274878)   #68
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrariFanatic
So, was it just my hearing then?
Well, clerk and Clark are pronounced in exactly the same way...
Old 10 Apr 2005, 18:27 (Ref:1274891)   #69
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just back, 3 good and enjoyable races today but WE NEED more cars. I just hope there are few more at Thruxton in 3 weeks time. Pictures later.
Old 10 Apr 2005, 19:04 (Ref:1274925)   #70
runnyhunny
Racer

runnyhunny should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't see any technical or sporting issues with the BTCC. Today's racing, considering the number of cars, was superb. I thought it was better than the WTCC, and they had about three times the number of cars!

There is no need to 'change to S2000'. Since the start of 2004, S2000 cars have been permitted to race in the BTCC. The current 'BTC Touring' and 'S2000' cars are not significantly slower than the spaceship-technology Super Touring machines (you only notice if you look at the laptimes - there is no difference trackside).

I suspect there are various political issues with the BTCC. And if I were a manufacturer, I'd be mightily unimpressed with the total lack of coherent and organised promotion by TOCA, the teams, and the circuits. They need to take a long hard look at their marketing.

There will always be a problem with manufacturer teams coming and going. It's pretty much the same in GTs, F1, WRC etc. TOCA should ensure we have quality privateer entries. I'd have no problem with a gridfull of Dynamics-esque teams.
Old 10 Apr 2005, 19:38 (Ref:1274954)   #71
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm seriously impressed. 12 cars. Wow.
Old 10 Apr 2005, 19:40 (Ref:1274955)   #72
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Sorry. I just find this really sad. 12 cars in the premier Touring Car ategory. Its not difficult. Lower the cost by reducing the technical requirement.

At the end of the day, its not outright speed, its competition.
Old 10 Apr 2005, 19:49 (Ref:1274964)   #73
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As was mentioned in another thread, if the BTCC do not want to adopt the S2000 regs why not adopt some kind of 'stock' car regs with tuned production cars.
Old 10 Apr 2005, 20:13 (Ref:1274977)   #74
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It looks like S2000 cars can't race on an even keel though - SEAT didn't show the kind of pace we could've expected this weekend, GA had no success with their Alfa last year, and running a BMW isn't an option because it's front-wheel drive. Even Dynamics, who are very well-funded by independent standards, opted to build their Integras to BTC regulations. It does seem like Plato's complaints about their car being overweight due to the rules were justified.
Old 10 Apr 2005, 20:19 (Ref:1274982)   #75
tonyp
Rookie

tonyp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't understand why Renault & BMW have got such big support races and have nothing in main event.