Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 8 Mar 2001, 18:11 (Ref:69409)   #1
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Regazzoni and Tavoni speak out on the state of F1

This article was taken from Crash.net and I found it interesting in its content and directness.

Former F1 driver Clay Regazzoni has said that Max Mosley should resign after the death of marshal Graham Beveridge at the Australian Grand Prix.

Regazzoni told the Italian newspaper Gazzetta dello Sport: "When Mosley says that his engineers have made mistakes in calculating the progress the cars have made this year, he should have the courage to resign, but I don't think he will do it, look how many accidents there have been this year, even in private test sessions."

"Everybody knew that with the whole Bridgestone-Michelin rivalry times would have decreased considerably. We should be worried; thinking that in Spain (with) the electronic aids (traction control) the cars' speeds will increase significantly. In corners, cars will be able to go even faster and be more dangerous. What a great idea! What they should do is replace the carbon brakes with steel ones, go back to manual drives and reduce the power," suggested the former Ferrari driver.

He added: "Villeneuve should be punished for what he did in Melbourne, and Barrichello also should be penalised for what he did to Frentzen. They take too many risks. In these last few years a lot has been done to protect drivers, but very little for those who are on the outside of the track. The priority now should be for these people."

"I am really surprised that (Jackie) Stewart, who as a driver had been always very conscientious about safety (he founded the Grand Prix Drivers' Association), has made such bland proposals."

Ferrari's ex-Sporting Director, Romolo Tavoni continued: "Mosley is too preoccupied with his elections, and is saying a lot of stupid things. If race marshals' positions should be distanced from the track, then the same should surely apply for fire marshals and medics?"

"Why don't we make them arrive on the scene of an incident two or three minutes later and let's see what happens. Let's ask Berger where he would be today if officials at Imola wouldn't have arrived in seconds."

"Race marshals are irreplaceable. They are people who carry a lot of responsibilities and in many years as Monza's racetrack director, I have constantly relied on their advice. Sadly, (the person) who makes these propositions is not taking into account the reality of things. Mosley talks about putting light signals to help the drivers, yet I believe Villeneuve was able to see (Ralf) Schumacher, but he crashed into him anyway."

"The truth is that Mosley should assume his responsibilities and not wash his hands like he has done recently with (Kimi) Raikkonen. Otherwise he should carry on doing something else."

I think that both gentlemen are correct in their statements. It is nothing new on the subject of competition, safety, and regulations concerning F1. When will there be change in the way that things are done and in the leadership of F1?
Old 8 Mar 2001, 18:34 (Ref:69414)   #2
Dino IV
Veteran

MagnetON
NL
Dino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good quotes, KC. Both men are right indeed. Mosley has failed in every aspect of his work, even in his own intentions: slower and safer. Only thing he's finished now is the safety-tub and even that is two years overdue, coz it should have been instigated right after Schumacher's crash in '99. The cars are dynamically very unsafe, the rules don't exclude cheating from the sport and the tracks cannot guarantee the safety of its marshalls and crowds. Time's up, Max.

He won't leave though; even worse he'll be reelected by that NSA-parliament of the FIA, with oldies whose first car probably was a T-ford and their sense of speed developed accordingly.

Time for revolution then. I nominate John Barnard as chairman of an alternative organizing body.

Cheers,
Dino

PS: How old is Romano Tavoni? Ain't he that Ferrari sporting director that Jean Behra (while frustratingly driving for the unreliable Scuderia) hit with a fist and left the team? He must be a hundred years old or something ..