Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 6 Mar 2012, 10:26 (Ref:3035852)   #1
BigCat132
Rookie

England
BigCat132 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A thankyou after a press release

I am not new to ten tenths, but I am new to posting on it, the reason for my sudden posting will become clear. Although I follow with some interest the historic and national racing forums, I tend to leave ranting and ramblings to those who clearly have more time on their hands and not a wife who has a list of jobs that a retired husband can do.
The reason for my sudden registration and indeed this post, is to pose a question. I was somewhat stunned to read a press release last week in respect of Masters and the changes happening there, in particular the appointment of another ‘International Clerk’ for them. I also noticed that their long standing clerk who posts in this forum as JohnGee has changed his signature on this forum and now does not make reference to Masters. Now, it is common knowledge that John suffered greatly last year with his health and many of us were very sad to see and hear of what happened while he was due to be at the Nurburgring and personally for me it was sad not to see him at Spa, I am not just saying this for the benefit of this post, but I would be surprised to find anyone who did not have a good word to say about John, even when I came before him on the wrong side of an infringement (I will not say where or indeed when) he was a gentleman and there are not enough of those types anymore I fear.
However, this is not an advertisement for him, it is trying to understand, that whilst I’m sure that the rest will do John good and he should continue on the path of recovery, I cannot help but find myself asking the question that in the press release, no mention was made to him in respect of the reason he is now no longer with Masters? I would expect that, surely, if the reasons are because of his health, then the decent thing to do would have been to make reference to this, or indeed more importantly at least give thanks for his service in the past, however, there was no mention of him, nor any notion of thanks to him in the press release I received from them and quite frankly, the notice is written as if the new race director has come along as a savour? Did we need one? The reason why I enjoy racing with Masters is that they have an understanding in respect of how we old timers like to race and I think John fitted in well with that at Masters, I hope the new chap fits the same way of thinking.
My reasons for this post is not to cause embarrassment to anyone, particularly to John or Masters (though I think that the latter of the two may now feel slightly red faced) and I apologise if this does strike a nerve, however I had a telephone conversation with a fellow competitor last night discussing the forthcoming season, our plans etc and after an awkward dodging of the subject, when I brought it up he stated ‘I was thinking the same thing’
No doubt John will see this and if I have offended him in anyway all I will say is please John forgive me but I do feel that I need to say what I have said and unfortunately, I do not have contact details for you otherwise I would have dropped you a mail beforehand. What I will say is that regardless of the reason for the change, I cannot speak for all John as I never spoke to all, but I will say that on behalf of the few drivers I have now spoken to I would like to thank you for your hard work over the years with Masters (and indeed the HSCC ) and I, along with those others, wish you all the very best in the future whatever you decide to do with it and we hope to see you soon.

Kind Regards
Old 6 Mar 2012, 10:44 (Ref:3035869)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I believe the old git has been kicked upstairs. He's a Steward at the Masters opening meeting at Oulton Park next week. Meanwhile I understand Claire Smith (of recently acquired race license fame) will be the CoC.

I stand to be corrected on this but if you look at

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=131129 all may be revealed.

Welcome to the forum.
Old 6 Mar 2012, 15:31 (Ref:3036035)   #3
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Welcome to the forum.

Mr Mallett is correct, I have got a race licence but was trying to keep it quiet!!...no seriously, I am clerking the Oulton Park meeting with MSVR and also am due to be at Brands Hatch with MSVR at the end of May.

ta C
Old 6 Mar 2012, 15:46 (Ref:3036044)   #4
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a fantastic post for a man so dedicated to his work as CoC,I totally agree with you,but I feel this is [hopefully] just an oversight on Masters behalf.

Claire,a r e y o u reeeeeally Clerking at Brands? I know who your SC driver is
Old 6 Mar 2012, 16:27 (Ref:3036079)   #5
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Thank you BigCat132 (I'm guessing that you drive a Jaguar?) for your very kind words, which have left me speechless – I thought that the Clerk of the Course was ‘the person you loved to hate’!. It’s better if I respond, rather than than leave things ‘hanging in the air’ and possibly creating the wrong impression.

Just to set the scene as it were (and for those unaware of the facts), I suffered a stroke whilst at the Nurburgring last year. I survived, thanks to the prompt action of Claire and the medical team in Germany but four weeks in the stroke unit in Koblenz is not something I care to dwell on (I still don’t speak German!). I’m recovering well (but far too slowly!) and the support that I’ve received has been tremendous. My speech is recovering, my eyesight is improving and, best of all, I’m just driving again!!!! However, my mobility is still a bit difficult and my ability to ‘multi task’ needs a bit of work but I’m vain enough to care that my face hasn’t ‘dropped’ and I look normal, (or at least, as normal as I ever did!).

That leads us on to 2012. Although Masters have been very supportive of Claires qualification as a Clerk of the Course and she has been able to clerk at meetings around Europe, Masters felt that they needed an International Clerk due to their many European meetings. It would have been good if Claire (who incidentally may share my surname but we’re not related!) could have continued, with my support, because I believe she has the makings of a very good clerk and shares the Masters culture. However the path to her International licence.is still some way off and life must go on, hence the contents of the press release. Also, until my continued recovery is more stable, I can’t yet take the risk of a relapse and another spell in a foreign hospital!

I fully intend to be back with Masters (unless my successor makes a better job of it than I did) but the support of you and others may be very fundimental in allowing that to happen. Thank you again.
Old 6 Mar 2012, 18:16 (Ref:3036128)   #6
LAK
Racer

LAK should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLAK should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good lord John, I had no idea. I was aware fom this forum that you had been unwell but was not aware of the extent or seriousness of your illness. It is fantastic that you well on the road to recovery - from someone who's brother suffered the same before he was 40 I understand how long it can take but great news that you are seeing good progress. Jason and I send our very best wishes and a big hug from me too. I'm sure it not be long before you're back we're you should be - guiding us all with wonderful humour, fairness and a bucket load of common sense!
Old 6 Mar 2012, 19:24 (Ref:3036150)   #7
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Very kind and thank you Louise and Jason. I hope that you bring your gorgeous little Fiat Abarth to the HRDC races at Snetterton in May (I had one as a road car for my 21st) and I'm sure the sight of that will aid my recovery!
Old 6 Mar 2012, 19:27 (Ref:3036152)   #8
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It probably would John,just dont ask Lack to give you a lap!
Old 6 Mar 2012, 21:27 (Ref:3036191)   #9
The Flagman
Racer

The Flagman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello John

Following our recent exchange I'm pleased to see that, just for once, I wasn't talking tosh. I know you are impatient about your rehab but nature just won't be hurried. There'll be a welcome when you're ready.

David M
Old 6 Mar 2012, 21:54 (Ref:3036202)   #10
dikko
Veteran

United Kingdom
Herts
dikko should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And from me John, hope your recovery goes well.

At least it's not 'Nein, not bratvurst unt cabbage again!!'
Old 6 Mar 2012, 22:18 (Ref:3036209)   #11
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

OK Dave - so I admit that you weren't talking tosh

Dikko - You have very accurate knowledge of the menu at Koblenz hospital

Seriously, thank you both for your kind wishes
Old 7 Mar 2012, 09:00 (Ref:3036387)   #12
BigCat132
Rookie

England
BigCat132 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dear John,

There is no need to thank me, the purpose of this entry was to in fact, thank you, which is what I believe should have been done in the first place. Whilst I agree that as a driver I should not be at the ready to defend the 'gestapo' I believe you are more a Schindler than an SS officer (although, I have been on your list for the wrong reason before). John I am delighted to hear that your progress is in the right direction and I look forward to the day when you are back with us and , as already highlighted by those before, guiding us with that dry sense of humour that only some of us will understand, In the meantime I shall content myself in the knowledge that you are in safe hands as are we all with Claire (I better state that) and as long as you are not discarded by those who should know better, we shall see you very soon god willing.

Kind regards
Old 7 Mar 2012, 12:28 (Ref:3036485)   #13
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngee View Post
Thank you BigCat132 (I'm guessing that you drive a Jaguar?) for your very kind words, which have left me speechless
And then he types one of his longest posts ever!

A load of us have kept in touch with John following the 'Nurburgring incident' and what we have to realise is that he is one of those (and at his age he should know better!) who still wants to run before he can walk. Although he doesn't say so, it is no secret that John had suffered a stroke a year or so before the last one and although there is no evidence that there is any connection, there are some of us who felt that he tried to do too much too early. So, I for one am pleased that he is taking a more considered approach to his recovery this time, even though his impatience is there for all to see in his post!

John, we all want you to make a full recovery, so do what it takes, even though your presence will not be felt at the moment, in your old capacity!
Old 7 Mar 2012, 14:55 (Ref:3036538)   #14
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat132 View Post
Dear John,

..........I shall content myself in the knowledge that you are in safe hands as are we all with Claire (I better state that) ..........

Kind regards

You all are?...ha ha...I didnt know there was more than one of you?

Just to confirm, though as I said I am at OP and Brands, I do not know what the plans are in respect of the other meetings that Masters have, That will be up to the new Race Director for them, I have stated that I am happy to provide support where needed if needed..but it may be good timing because I do want to do some driving this year also

Ta
C
Old 7 Mar 2012, 14:57 (Ref:3036539)   #15
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

Thank you 'Uncle John'. I can't go on thanking all the people on here who have sent messages, cards and made phone calls..... but I will because it's cheered me up no end and not left me feeling isolated and forgotten.
I'm not good at taking advice (as Claire will confirm ) but things are getting better slowly and I'm really looking forward to Oulton Park on Friday week. I MAY even take a sedate little drive down to the Masters track day at Goodwood on Saturday.
Like General Mac Arthur (one for you history buffs) "I shall return"
Old 7 Mar 2012, 15:03 (Ref:3036542)   #16
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Like General Mac Arthur (one for you history buffs) "I shall return"
Hmm, I thought that was bad pennies!.

I recall the 360 last year when I had the pleasure of handing a bottle of bubbly to Claire, and a book signed by Jerry K and myself to John. He looked somewhat crestfallen. That said, I look forward to being able to return to the default setting and providing bubbly refreshment to John as well.

As an aside John, I've tried the standing on one leg and touching my nose thing. It's not just you that can't do it.
Old 7 Mar 2012, 15:31 (Ref:3036551)   #17
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I recall the 360 last year when I had the pleasure of handing a bottle of bubbly to Claire, and a book signed by Jerry K and myself to John. He looked somewhat crestfallen.
I hope that I didn't Peter. I can assure you that the book was a much more appropriate gift .
Old 7 Mar 2012, 15:40 (Ref:3036555)   #18
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Lol.

I understood your position matey. Glad you enjoyed it though.
Old 9 Mar 2012, 07:58 (Ref:3037392)   #19
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
John,

I knew you had been ill but had no idea with what.

All the best wishes for a speedy and full recovery.

Roger
Old 9 Mar 2012, 08:23 (Ref:3037398)   #20
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerwills View Post
John,

I knew you had been ill but had no idea with what.

All the best wishes for a speedy and full recovery.

Roger
Yep, well put Roger.

From me as well John.
Old 9 Mar 2012, 08:43 (Ref:3037404)   #21
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

Thank you both very much.

Roger - I'm sure that you're already working out what you think you can get away with in my absence
Old 9 Mar 2012, 19:47 (Ref:3037654)   #22
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Thank you both very much.

Roger - I'm sure that you're already working out what you think you can get away with in my absence

Old 11 Mar 2012, 13:42 (Ref:3038303)   #23
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
I for one am glad he has been moved upstairs.Not sure if I will be racing in any Masters events this year but at least I know I will not be picked on in the drivers breefing.
I have only got to know John recently but have come across him many times over the years as C of C for 750,HSCC and of corse Masters. This was all before we were 10/10th friends.Some years ago me and my son Stewart were racing Karts at our local track Blackbush and blow me down he turned up there as well as a Steward.
I shall never forget a couple of years ago we were having problems with the Galaxie at Brands and after working half the night I went to see John cap in hand to ask if I could give the car a run round the track before racing started in the morning.He was outside the contol tower have one one of those awfull cigerette things when I gingerly approached him with the story.
Straight away fag extinguished he shot upstaires ,on the radio to all staff,marshalls recovery crew ect ect and I was allowed out just before 9am to do a couple of laps.
Stay with us John we luv you.
Old 11 Mar 2012, 18:05 (Ref:3038395)   #24
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

Thank you Delta. The real reason for my temporary absence is that, since you are not doing any Masters races this year, I'll have nobody to take the p*** out of at the drivers briefings.
Old 11 Mar 2012, 18:30 (Ref:3038405)   #25
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Never mind John,there'll be plenty of other's I'm sure.