Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 20 Apr 2009, 16:13 (Ref:2445661)   #51
MikeH
Racer

Scotland
Perth
MikeH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There seems to be no mention of Plato in that press release quite deliberately. To me that says they don't know yet as he's probably still looking for the funding for another RML car.
#68 - 2009 SMRC Scottish Legends Championship.
Old 20 Apr 2009, 16:39 (Ref:2445672)   #52
NendoShisu
Racer

England
LUTON
NendoShisu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by medius View Post
Fantastic news. Autosport's article says Plato is unconfirmed for Thruxton.
So does that mean that RML are going the rest of the season with Jackson it said he signed a deal
Old 21 Apr 2009, 08:29 (Ref:2446119)   #53
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Really looking forward to the weekend, not been to BTCC much in the past few years and not been to Thruxton for ages either. Hope Plato is out, as said earlier in this thread be good to see four champions racing.
Old 21 Apr 2009, 11:51 (Ref:2446246)   #54
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
This is brilliant news. I assume by this:

“On top of that, there’s the potential to compare myself against someone of Jason’s calibre in identical machinery"

That Plato is also going to be running as well?
Old 21 Apr 2009, 11:55 (Ref:2446249)   #55
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I hope he does mean that Plato will be driving, and not that he wants to compare his results to Plato's performance at Brands.
Old 21 Apr 2009, 15:23 (Ref:2446383)   #56
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Its very good news that Mat Jackson will be out at Thruxton, but the release is deliberately vague and leaves several questions unanswered.

o Is Mat Jackson confirmed for the entire season, or is Thruxton a one-off.

o Will Jason Plato be back in the car again ?

o Can RML run a two car BTCC campaign simultaneously with their WTCC programme.
Old 21 Apr 2009, 15:40 (Ref:2446394)   #57
gregc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedford
gregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jason Hughes to miss Thruxton - his knee is still flaky after the op. Better news that they're starting prep work on a second car though - I know they're never going to challenge at the front but they're a good bunch.

Don't know why but I have a nasty feeling that Owy won't be there as well
Old 22 Apr 2009, 13:31 (Ref:2447001)   #58
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
stedevil has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanner monkey View Post
I dont think it was sheds fault he was twatted by a bmw within 50 yards of the start of the 1st race! This also compramises the 2nd race if you dnf
The civic crawling to the pits with a puncture was regarding how they for years have struggled to make the tires last, sometimes to the point of getting non contact related punctures.

BTW, can anyone explain to me how come RML is not in the "Built their own car" championship?
Old 22 Apr 2009, 14:04 (Ref:2447021)   #59
gregc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedford
gregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by stedevil View Post
BTW, can anyone explain to me how come RML is not in the "Built their own car" championship?
Yes - they haven't entered it! Someone asked Alan Gow on the official site just before Brands.

Edited to add... Looks like my pessimism about O'Neill was unfounded - http://btcc.net/html/generalnews_detail.php?id=1390
Old 22 Apr 2009, 15:32 (Ref:2447082)   #60
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As nice a guy and decent a driver as Paul is - top 6?
Old 22 Apr 2009, 15:51 (Ref:2447095)   #61
gregc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedford
I had the same reaction - but he has got a point about what Andy Jordan managed last year. Top 6 in the last race if he gets lucky with the reversed grid? That's possible I reckon.
Old 22 Apr 2009, 17:07 (Ref:2447149)   #62
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Because they don't want to be?

Just because they are eligible doesn't mean they have to enter. Why pay the entry fee for a full season when they didn't know if they would actually be at more than one meeting.
Old 22 Apr 2009, 18:15 (Ref:2447196)   #63
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
I wasn't aware it costed extra money. I just assumed that if you where racing and you had built the car yourself, you would be eligible. If that is not the case, it becomes a lot more understandable. To bad, because with both Jackson and Plato would potentially be the only real competition to VXR in that category.
Old 22 Apr 2009, 18:41 (Ref:2447223)   #64
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
To bad, because with both Jackson and Plato would potentially be the only real competition to VXR in that category.
That is probably the exact reason why RML would not enter it or have been told not to by GM. They sure wouldn't want them to beat their bigger funded works team.
Old 22 Apr 2009, 19:20 (Ref:2447253)   #65
Icebaby
Veteran

Icebaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just a thought but do RML only have 1 Chevy as they sold the other two to Vaulkard which means no car for Plato as Jackson in or am i mistaken and they had two left from WTCC 08?

I am suprised no one is taking up the option on the third RAC BMW which is a winning car?
Old 22 Apr 2009, 19:22 (Ref:2447255)   #66
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icebaby View Post
Just a thought but do RML only have 1 Chevy as they sold the other two to Vaulkard which means no car for Plato as Jackson in or am i mistaken and they had two left from WTCC 08?

I am suprised no one is taking up the option on the third RAC BMW which is a winning car?
They had a spare car as well and thus 4 to sell. So that would mean they have 2 left unless somebody bought another one in "secret".
Old 22 Apr 2009, 19:23 (Ref:2447256)   #67
Icebaby
Veteran

Icebaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
They had a spare car as well and thus 4 to sell. So that would mean they have 2 left unless somebody bought another one in "secret".
Cheers for the info
Old 22 Apr 2009, 19:33 (Ref:2447261)   #68
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Wonder how much weather will play a part over the weekend, forecast keeps changing. Metcheck originally earlier today showed rain on Saturday afternoon but it now looks dry, but does suggest rain all day Sunday. Could make for interesting racing!
Old 22 Apr 2009, 20:30 (Ref:2447320)   #69
Spanner monkey
Racer

England
Norwich
Spanner monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Vaulkard has only leased a car of RML & they have an option on a 2nd car. That was said by an Engineer from Tempus at Brands
Old 22 Apr 2009, 20:36 (Ref:2447327)   #70
Spanner monkey
Racer

England
Norwich
Spanner monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The civic crawling to the pits with a puncture was regarding how they for years have struggled to make the tires last, sometimes to the point of getting non contact related punctures.
Apart from gordons (Gio also punctured without contact & T.O.C)2 punctures at thruxton last year i dont thin TD had any non contact related puctures last year looking at results.
Thruxton is difficult to judge as dunlop make a special tyre for the thruxton round so as tyres are limited in numbers so are testing days for thruxton
Old 22 Apr 2009, 21:21 (Ref:2447357)   #71
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Entry List (Unofficial) for Thruxton

#DriverTeamCarGraphic
1Fabrizio GiovanardiVX RacingVauxhall Vectra
2Mat JacksonRay Mallock Ltd.Chevrolet Lacetti
3Jason PlatoTeam SilverlineChevrolet Lacetti
4Colin TurkingtonTeam RACBMW 320i
5Matt NealVX RacingVauxhall Vectra
9Adam JonesCartridge World Carbon ZeroSEAT Leon
10Tom ChiltonTeam AonFord Focus
11Rob CollardAirwaves BMWBMW 320i
12Jonathan AdamAirwaves BMWBMW 320i
15Martyn BellSunshine.co.uk/TechspeedHonda Integra
16Nick LeasonTeam AFM RacingBMW 120d
17Harry VaulkhardTempus SportChevrolet Lacetti
20Alan MorrisonTeam AonFord Focus
27Liam McMillanMaxtremeSEAT Toledo
29Paul O'NeillSunshine.co.uk/TechspeedHonda Integra
35James ThompsonTeam DynamicsHonda Civic
44Stephen JelleyTeam RACBMW 320i
50John GeorgeTH Motorsport with JAGHonda Integra
55Dave PinkneyTeam DynamicsHonda Civic
63Martin JohnsonBoulevard Team RacingVauxhall Astra
77Andrew JordanVX RacingVauxhall Vectra
85Dan EavesCartridge World Carbon ZeroSEAT Leon

Car graphics courtesy of AndyBlackmoreDesign | SpotterGuides.com

Last edited by Hazard; 23 Apr 2009 at 16:41.
Old 23 Apr 2009, 01:19 (Ref:2447460)   #72
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanner monkey View Post
Apart from gordons (Gio also punctured without contact & T.O.C)2 punctures at thruxton last year i dont thin TD had any non contact related puctures last year looking at results.
Thruxton is difficult to judge as dunlop make a special tyre for the thruxton round so as tyres are limited in numbers so are testing days for thruxton
I think I remember Matt getting numerous punctures as well the year before.
Wasn't aware that Thruxton comes with special tires though, might indeed have something to do with the punctures.
But in any case the main issue was that TDs civics in general seems to chew up their tires and drop considerably in pace towards the end, more so than most other FWD brands.
Old 23 Apr 2009, 06:32 (Ref:2447562)   #73
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Wasn't aware that Thruxton comes with special tires though, might indeed have something to do with the punctures.
But in any case the main issue was that TDs civics in general seems to chew up their tires and drop considerably in pace towards the end, more so than most other FWD brands.
The tyres are different at Thruxton to those used at all other rounds. This is based on the high degredation due to kerbs and high speed loading at the track.

Could the TD Civic tyre wear be due to driver's preferred setup? Maybe this year's drivers might be set up in a kinder configuration.
IIRC, Mike Jordan used to regularly set his car up in a manner that would be quick early on, but admitted that it would suffer through the tyres late in the race. The TD Civics have maybe suffered through similar set-up configurations, if they have suffered abnormal tyre degredation at all?
Old 23 Apr 2009, 07:47 (Ref:2447595)   #74
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!

Thruxton (and beyond?) guide now online @ www.spotterguides.com
Old 23 Apr 2009, 11:59 (Ref:2447758)   #75
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Could the TD Civic tyre wear be due to driver's preferred setup? Maybe this year's drivers might be set up in a kinder configuration.
That is definitly a factor yes. But generally also, the more aggressive settings you have, the quicker you go as well. The trick is to find what settings and what changes are needed to the car itself to enable you to go both fast but also for long. Volvo C30 had exactly the same problem first half of the season in STCC 2008, but during the summer break they managed to fix things on the car to lower the tire degradation problem. They still were as quick as before so it's wasn't just less aggressive tire settings.

However if you buy a BMW, they already did all that development work, and "all" a team has to do is get the settings optimal. That's why I'm a bit sad they reduced the S2000 spec weight for the sequ BMW with 20kg in BTCC. It makes it very very hard for a team to develop their own competitive FWD car in BTCC.

Tags
btcc, thruxton