Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 10 Oct 2014, 09:00 (Ref:3462873)   #426
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Hmm, indifferent to that. Post-LM break still 2.5 months, now no sea freight (reduced shipping rate, the reason given for long breaks last two years) to US round presumably and out of the non-Euro rounds, Interlagos was arguably the most interesting venue.
Old 10 Oct 2014, 09:11 (Ref:3462879)   #427
Alex Langheck
Racer

Alex Langheck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Still can't understand the large break post Le Mans. You have this massive interest for LM, and then tell people, media, etc...er come back at the end of August in Germany were the show reconvenes......

I'm still not sure they fully understand how to run a World Championship; we know it takes a while and small steps are needed. I just hope they'll knock the 'winter series' on the head.
Old 10 Oct 2014, 10:08 (Ref:3462893)   #428
lms
Veteran

lms should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
but where is Road Atlanta?????

(just kidding)

overall a good calendar, but they should really replace bahrain with something else. (Abu dhabi would do). I really hope the arabs pay a ton of cash for the Wec to race on that shitty track.
Old 10 Oct 2014, 10:21 (Ref:3462898)   #429
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
32 entry gap seems lower than before, wasn't it 35?

Reduced summer break lol, as if two and half months isn't time enough to make everyone forget the championship still exists... again... and axing sea transport while still giving excuses for format via lowering costs.

Even as mere shadow of it's big sister I do kinda like Nurburgring GP loop, and I've said for ages they need to go to important traditional markets (not only for manufacturers but also privateers) so I'm very much okay with that move, but otherwise and away from Le Mans the calendar is again about as interesting as washing my socks.

They're obviously gonna run the AsLMS separately every weekend as well again and let it rot.

Last edited by Deleted; 10 Oct 2014 at 10:27.
Old 10 Oct 2014, 11:18 (Ref:3462918)   #430
August
Rookie

Finland
August should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creep89 View Post
Audi__Sport: @FIAWEC have announced that 1000 kilometers @nuerburgring_de on 30 August will replace Brazil in the 2015 WEC calendar. #welcomchallenges

1000km Nürburgring instead of Brazil!

edit: The whole calendar can be found at DSC: http://www.dailysportscar.com/2014/1...l-dropped.html
1000km or more generic 6h?
Old 10 Oct 2014, 11:23 (Ref:3462921)   #431
Pontlieue
Racer

Pontlieue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPontlieue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why is there a 32 car entry cap at all? Is it for logistics? Or limited space in pit lane?

Anyway, for whatever reason it exists, it could make some problems for 2015. With at least 10 full-time LMP1 expected, maybe up to 13, there's limited space for the other classes. GTE Pro is expected to stagnate at 6 entries, but there should be some growth in LMP2. Time to get rid of the GTE Am class in WEC?
Old 10 Oct 2014, 12:26 (Ref:3462937)   #432
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
1000km or more generic 6h?
For "historic reasons" Spa ILMC in 2011 was called Spa 1000km even though it was a 6 hour race, I'm sure they're gonna do the same for this one. Unfortunately. That or just turn it into the standardized "6 Hours of Nurburgring"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontlieue View Post
Why is there a 32 car entry cap at all? Is it for logistics? Or limited space in pit lane?

Anyway, for whatever reason it exists, it could make some problems for 2015. With at least 10 full-time LMP1 expected, maybe up to 13, there's limited space for the other classes. GTE Pro is expected to stagnate at 6 entries, but there should be some growth in LMP2. Time to get rid of the GTE Am class in WEC?
It's mainly for Le Mans entry cap, the other reasons are mostly excuses.

Yeah GTE-AM should be killed off finally... not that it's gonna happen in the "everybody wins" environment
Old 10 Oct 2014, 12:28 (Ref:3462940)   #433
Giba
Racer

United Kingdom
Leeds
Giba should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontlieue View Post
On the DSC link posted earlier, Neveu says for "logisitical and presentation reasons" but also I would think that any more than mid 30's and it limits the number of non-wec runners at le mans to very little.

EDIT: Too slow

Last edited by Giba; 10 Oct 2014 at 12:29. Reason: too slow replying
Old 10 Oct 2014, 14:18 (Ref:3462974)   #434
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Glad the abysmal idea of a Winter series has been put on hold. Hope it never happens.

A bit disappointed that Montreal didn't get a round and Interlagos was dropped. Interlagos is a much more interesting track than the Nuburgring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagVanisher View Post
A good change, but they'll just race the GP part of the course instead of the Nordschleife for obvious "safety" reasons.
Seeing 30 cars go around a 25 km circuit wouldn't be very exciting. And of course safety plays a part in this! P1s are devastatingly fast and we've seen in the past the damage that can be done to both car and driver.

As for people complaining about the name (whether it's 1000km or 6h), does it really matter? The important thing is more racing is provided with the 6h format.
Old 10 Oct 2014, 14:37 (Ref:3462979)   #435
Deleted
Veteran

Really, even watching some 20 year old Toyota Corolla circulating Nordschleife alone is exciting. And WTCC thinks it is gonna be exciting with a field of similar size, even if for 2x3 laps. Of course, their cars are all eglible for Grade 3 circuits, unlike LMPs, so it's not like WEC could race there even if they wanted. Well except for GTEs.

As for 1000kms, the real upside of it is the strategic element it gives for lower classes = fueling according to pace of the LMP1.

And the winter series...
http://racer.com/latest-stories/item...ns-put-on-hold

"Everyone agreed that it's a good idea; I haven't met anybody in the paddock who said it's a bad idea," said Neveu
Old 10 Oct 2014, 14:52 (Ref:3462986)   #436
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
For "historic reasons" Spa ILMC in 2011 was called Spa 1000km even though it was a 6 hour race, I'm sure they're gonna do the same for this one. Unfortunately. That or just turn it into the standardized "6 Hours of Nurburgring"
Indeedy. With all the lovely titles

27/28 March : Prologue Castellet
12 April : 6 Hours of Silverstone
02 May : 6 Hours of Spa
31 May : Tests Le Mans
13/14 June : 24h du Mans
30 August : 6 Hours of Nurburging
19 September : 6 Hours of Circuit of the Americas ( Lone Star le Mans)
11 October : 6 Hours of Fuji
1 November: 6 Hours of Shanghai
21 November : 6 Hours of Bahrain
Old 10 Oct 2014, 15:02 (Ref:3462990)   #437
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I routinely ignore the "Six Hours of" portion. I see Silverstone, Spa, Le Mans, Nurburging, Circuit of the Americas etc. and I love it.

Even the short course at Nurburgring is fine with me. Prefer the Nordschliefe--I would if were attending (or maybe not---Way to much to walk in only six hours) but re4asonably, given the need to keep the race both exceedingly safe and well-covered for television/web ... the GP course makes sense. It's not like it's Bahrain.

I Hope they figure out the post-Le Mans break. I really hope they move to a winter series, starting in September or October when most other series are wrapping up and running through until Le Mans in June--suddenly a two -month break is no problem.

Whatever. I am pretty much as glad as can be to see another race in a civilized, inhabited, historically sports-car oriented region, and glad there will be a 2015 season. Imagine being left with nothing but TUSC?!
Old 10 Oct 2014, 15:04 (Ref:3462991)   #438
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Really, even watching some 20 year old Toyota Corolla circulating Nordschleife alone is exciting. And WTCC thinks it is gonna be exciting with a field of similar size, even if for 2x3 laps. Of course, their cars are all eglible for Grade 3 circuits, unlike LMPs, so it's not like WEC could race there even if they wanted. Well except for GTEs.
The WTCC also has cars which run at the same pace. In WEC, the P1s would blast off, followed by the lower classes, all separated. The length of the circuit would basically eliminate the "multi-class" component of sports car racing. That's just my reasoning. To each their own though.

Quote:
As for 1000kms, the real upside of it is the strategic element it gives for lower classes = fueling according to pace of the LMP1.
Can't the same be said for a 6h format?

Quote:
And the winter series...
http://racer.com/latest-stories/item...ns-put-on-hold

"Everyone agreed that it's a good idea; I haven't met anybody in the paddock who said it's a bad idea," said Neveu
I'm just a fan that has a particular opinion on the matter, just like everyone else on here. There have been many occasions where the decisions made by a governing body/competitors of a championship didn't go as initially planned. If it works, great, but until then I think it's an abysmal idea.
Old 10 Oct 2014, 15:09 (Ref:3462994)   #439
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamus View Post
Can't the same be said for a 6h format?
No because in 6h they don't have to care about the pace of the top class as they are always going to finish the race at the same time. You never know at what time 1000kms is gonna finish exactly (unless cautions, weather, slow pace etc extend it to 6 hour limit) so LMP2s and GTs have to calculate when the P1 or whoever on top is gonna reach the required the lap number, and make their strategy accordingly

Anyway I also hate the winter schedule, but it's not like the current concept is great either.
Old 10 Oct 2014, 15:22 (Ref:3462998)   #440
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Interesting. I've always viewed it differently.

If the distance is fixed (1000km), then the number of laps is also fixed. The only variable factors are the pace of the leader and yellow periods. The yellow periods won't have much of an affect.
If the race is timed, then the number of laps is unknown. The pace of the leader will determine how many laps will be completed and yellow periods can really limit the number of laps. I've always considered this scenario as the one that creates more strategy.
Old 10 Oct 2014, 15:48 (Ref:3463007)   #441
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Interesting. I've always viewed it differently.

If the distance is fixed (1000km), then the number of laps is also fixed. The only variable factors are the pace of the leader and yellow periods. The yellow periods won't have much of an affect.
If the race is timed, then the number of laps is unknown. The pace of the leader will determine how many laps will be completed and yellow periods can really limit the number of laps. I've always considered this scenario as the one that creates more strategy.
The lap number of 1000km is fixed, but the lower classes obviously don't fuel according to that because they are never going to reach that lap count. So they have to calculate what's going to be the lap count for them when the 1000km is reached by top class, whenever that may be (which again can alter not only because of the pace of the leader (who can also fall back or retire or whatever) and cautions, but weather and things like that)).

In 6h it doesn't technically matter how many laps there are in their class, assuming they know how much fuel they burn per normal lap they can just look at the clock to see how much time there is left in the race and make the pitstops accordingly. AND they don't have to care about the pace of the lead class, only their own.

Last edited by Deleted; 10 Oct 2014 at 15:55.
Old 10 Oct 2014, 16:05 (Ref:3463010)   #442
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
So the leader's pace affects fixed distance races more while yellow periods affect timed races more. Different strategy but there still is strategy.
Old 10 Oct 2014, 17:07 (Ref:3463030)   #443
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker
Why don't they make it the 8 hour of Nurburgring?
Old 10 Oct 2014, 17:15 (Ref:3463037)   #444
David Land
Veteran

United States
Franklin, Indiana
David Land has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Dropping Brazil for Nurburgring?

I am confused, is this the World Endurance Championship or the European Le Mans Series?

Now there is officially 1/2 of the schedule that takes place in Europe, which isn't really a bad thing, unless you look at the weakness of the last four races on the calender. COTA is an acceptable race, but finishing the season with a one-two punch of China and Barhain? Color me unimpressed.

The western side of the globe now has one, ONE, ACO sanctioned race. The WEC really should have rounds in the North Eastern US, the Far Western US, and Canada in addition to their southern round at COTA. It is getting painfully obvious that the FIA's anti-American attitude is unfortunately seeping into this championship.

This schedule to me feels like a 'follow the money' venture much more than a legitimate 'world' championship. I am sure they will be in Sochi in a few years.
Old 10 Oct 2014, 17:20 (Ref:3463039)   #445
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Land View Post

I am confused, is this the World Endurance Championship or the European Le Mans Series?

Now there is officially 1/2 of the schedule that takes place in Europe, which isn't really a bad thing, unless you look at the weakness of the last four races on the calender. COTA is an acceptable race, but finishing the season with a one-two punch of China and Barhain? Color me unimpressed.

The western side of the globe now has one, ONE, ACO sanctioned race. The WEC really should have rounds in the North Eastern US, the Far Western US, and Canada in addition to their southern round at COTA. It is getting painfully obvious that the FIA's anti-American attitude is unfortunately seeping into this championship.

This schedule to me feels like a 'follow the money' venture much more than a legitimate 'world' championship. I am sure they will be in Sochi in a few years.
According to the press release, neither the FIA nor the promoters wanted to hold the Interlagos race in November again, and the August date was impossible due to scheduled renovation work at the track (and when I say "renovation" I mean "demolishing and rebuilding the pit+paddock complex").
Old 10 Oct 2014, 17:30 (Ref:3463043)   #446
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Quote:

The fact that the WEC did not have a German round up until next year was absurd to begin with, all three of the current LMP1 competitors are based in Germany!

So this addition makes massive sense and, as said above, is mostly due to Interlagos not being feasible next year. The same applies to Montreal where renovations are going on as well.

Looking at how the entries split up, I'd say that one race in NA seems appropriate to me.
Old 10 Oct 2014, 17:42 (Ref:3463047)   #447
August
Rookie

Finland
August should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post
Looking at how the entries split up, I'd say that one race in NA seems appropriate to me.
Yet, with more NA races there might be more American entries... But yeah, might.
Old 10 Oct 2014, 18:08 (Ref:3463059)   #448
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
FIA's anti-American attitude is unfortunately seeping into this championship.

If that's the case, there should be no more discussions regarding the prototype class in TUSC.

And I agree that the WEC wants to have rounds that has the money. Of course, that's how the way it is not just the WEC, but motorsports in general.
Old 10 Oct 2014, 18:08 (Ref:3463060)   #449
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
The reality is that there currently isn’t enough money in the WEC to afford running a longer schedule. As John Dagys reports:

Quote:
The 2015 calendar, released Friday, again features eight rounds, after the majority of manufacturers and teams elected against expansion given the current economic conditions.

“If we add one race, we know it would immediately impact the budget for the teams, so we have to be careful and take into consideration not only the top manufacturers but also the rest of the grid,” Neveu said.

“At this moment, eight [rounds] looks to be a good compromise between the paddock, the promoter and the FIA.”
Montreal is unavailable in 2015 as the circuit is doing modifications to keep F1 happy but is interested in a race from 2017 on.
Old 10 Oct 2014, 19:07 (Ref:3463070)   #450
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
So the leader's pace affects fixed distance races more while yellow periods affect timed races more. Different strategy but there still is strategy.
Yellow periods affect both... well whatever, it's nitpicking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
According to the press release, neither the FIA nor the promoters wanted to hold the Interlagos race in November again, and the August date was impossible due to scheduled renovation work at the track (and when I say "renovation" I mean "demolishing and rebuilding the pit+paddock complex").
Or if we are more cynical, the alleged organizational disputes between the FIA/ACO and Fittipaldi's gang might also play some part in this and perhaps when it comes time to roll out 2016 schedule's bunch of generic 6 hour events around same dates mr Neveu says something along the lines of "the championship is absolutely full now and due to our continuing efforts at cost cuttings as well as stabilizing the existing events we were not able to make room for Interlagos anymore, however we will keep in contact"