Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 5 Apr 2001, 20:20 (Ref:77852)   #1
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Next team to reach Ferrari and McLaren?

Williams seems to be the team currently closest to Ferrari and McLaren. But do you think this is only temporary or will Williams really threat the empire of Ferrari and McLaren at the rest of the season? Or maybe any other team, BAR, Jordan?

Last edited by JMeissner; 5 Apr 2001 at 20:22.
Old 5 Apr 2001, 20:31 (Ref:77857)   #2
Maximum F1
Racer

Maximum F1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Williams will certainly be fast but i think now that Ferrari have had their wake up call and McLaren are back in Europe due to unveil many improvements in Imola they will leave williams behind again. Williams currently have less reliability than McLaren and Ferrari. Also, Ferrari have said that they have engine developments to be made in the future and i think once this happens Williams will definetly loose that 6km/h advantage.
--------------------------
Maximum F1
http://www.maximumf1.com
Old 5 Apr 2001, 20:46 (Ref:77868)   #3
Jeanburrasca81
Racer

Jeanburrasca81 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Even if it maybe early to say that Williams already have reduced the gap to zero it seems quite sure that they will be the next team to reach Ferrari an the top...I wonder when McLaren will catch Ferrari...lol.
Old 5 Apr 2001, 21:11 (Ref:77883)   #4
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would guess BAR will be up there next. Although I am not yet totally convinced that Williams performance in Brazil was simply a fluke, and will not be repeated in San Marino. Prost has been ahead of Williams on the timing sheet for the past few days in Magny-Cours. But, then it's just testing, isn't it?

BAR were well ahead of McLaren and Jordan in the last test at Silverstone, but for all I know that had to do with conditions, as it was raining off and on throughout the day.
Old 5 Apr 2001, 21:16 (Ref:77886)   #5
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Maximum F1
. Also, Ferrari have said that they have engine developments to be made in the future and i think once this happens Williams will definetly loose that 6km/h advantage.
--------------------------
Maximum F1
http://www.maximumf1.com
Sounds great, when will it be ?
Old 6 Apr 2001, 12:48 (Ref:78080)   #6
kuchi
Veteran

Colombia
Bogota, Colombia
kuchi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I think williams can get close to the top two teams of the last years, but they have a lot of ground to cover. The Macs and the Ferraris are making some changes, so we might think that the return to europe will make this teams stronger. Anyway Frank must be really satisfied, and he might be looking for 2002, that can be a great year for the team.
Old 6 Apr 2001, 16:05 (Ref:78128)   #7
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Ferrari usually uses 3 evolutions per season...
The 050 would be followed by the 050B and then the 050C.
i read off somewhere that the new evolution, with a greater power hike, is due to be out arnd the Canada GP. Perhaps, with the greater threats coming, they would bring it forward?

Furthermore, the current transmission they are using are rumoured to be from the F1-2000...and a new replacement is planned for just around mid season.
Old 6 Apr 2001, 16:14 (Ref:78133)   #8
Orange
Racer

Orange should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In the next couple of years, its going to be a three-way battle between Williams, Ferrari and BAR... I am hopefull that Honda will put out a real killer of an engine next year, and that their expertise in suspension and aero are going to put BAR up at the sharp end, and soon. I would also not be surprised if BAR became just plain Honda soon..... next year perhaps?? The big qestion mark in the whole face of the top end of F1 is Jaques Villneuve... Does he stay at BAR, go to Ferrari or go to McLaren?? also Mika and Michaels retirements could shift the balance of power.... either way, Williams is going to be the big winner.
Old 6 Apr 2001, 16:20 (Ref:78135)   #9
laxman
Racer

laxman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do you think we can have a three way battle in F1.That would be great.But generally it becomes a two way thing.Actually it more of one team leading,another playing catchup,and all the rest way back.A three way competition may be just what f1 needs at teh moment but i really doubt it will happen.
Old 6 Apr 2001, 18:07 (Ref:78169)   #10
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
I think Williams will be the biggest threat to the top two teams again - but a much bigger threat than they were last season. I'm expecting to see some BAR and Jordan up there, and judging by early-season form, Sauber could be a bit of a surprise at some races. I think it will be a much more open season than last year, with more opportunities for other teams and drivers to win.
Old 6 Apr 2001, 22:16 (Ref:78250)   #11
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Williams are the team to do it this year, and wouldn't be surprised to see them and Ferrari and McLaren on equal footings by the very end of the season. Jordan will be next with BAR pretty close. I think Sauber's early form will tail off as it always does. The tail-enders this season in my opinion will be either Jaguar or Prost - Minardi have new engine evolutions etc coming soon and the Renault in the back of the Benetton will get sorted.
Old 7 Apr 2001, 12:18 (Ref:78368)   #12
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay
I would guess BAR will be up there next. Although I am not yet totally convinced that Williams performance in Brazil was simply a fluke, and will not be repeated in San Marino. Prost has been ahead of Williams on the timing sheet for the past few days in Magny-Cours. But, then it's just testing, isn't it?
Jay, they must have fluked it at Melbourne & Sepang as well then, because they were much faster than BAR there too. And as you said testing is just testing. Prost were quick in preseason testing as well.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ralf's Girl
I think Williams will be the biggest threat to the top two teams again - but a much bigger threat than they were last season.
I agree RG, they will win races this year ultimately finish 3rd again, but very close to the Macs.

Quote:
Originally posted by Minardi fan
I think Williams are the team to do it this year, and wouldn't be surprised to see them and Ferrari and McLaren on equal footings by the very end of the season. Jordan will be next with BAR pretty close. I think Sauber's early form will tail off as it always does.
Your right MF, by the end of this year, expect Williams, Ralf, Montoya, BMW & Michelin to be right up there upsetting the final race for the championship.

Sauber unfortunately will fall off. The engine thay use is the final spec 200 Ferrari engine is'nt it? Therefore you would expect it to be closer know than at the end of the year. However, one more race like a Brazil, they have enough points to take the rest of the year off and still finish 6th
Old 7 Apr 2001, 23:21 (Ref:78493)   #13
Maximum F1
Racer

Maximum F1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not sure speed, I heard it from an ITV commentator and he didn't elaborate much. But they will definetly have to do something! Tinker with the cam shaft or something...IoI!
Old 8 Apr 2001, 02:22 (Ref:78529)   #14
Schumacher
Racer

Schumacher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It will certainly be the Williams.They have succeeded in closing the performance gap dramatically.There is still a gap mind you,but the Williams will be the next team to reach the top.

I do not see a future for BAR.That is more of a business enterprise rather than a racing team.As soon as JV leaves BAR,which will be soon,then BAR will be relegated to the wilderness.

Jordan Honda are the wild card and the joker in the pack.Highly unlikely that they would ever win the title but they should be winning races next year.The championship for Jordan would be tough with teams such as Ferrari,Mclaren and Williams showing no signs of any decline in performance to the level where they would be beaten by Jordan.

No chance for Prost.He should pack his bags and head for home.Unless he can nail the Honda engines when BAR get dumped.