Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 14 Jul 2007, 18:44 (Ref:1963211)   #26
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
Plato was half a second slower than Turner.

With 36kg of ballast on board..

Chilton's car was 2kg underweight.
Old 14 Jul 2007, 19:52 (Ref:1963246)   #27
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I am not sure you will be seeing Miss Leggate tomorrow after she put her car in the tyre wall right under my nose at the old hairpin during qualifying. The car has quite a lot of front damage.
Old 14 Jul 2007, 21:34 (Ref:1963275)   #28
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjones
I am not sure you will be seeing Miss Leggate tomorrow after she put her car in the tyre wall right under my nose at the old hairpin during qualifying. The car has quite a lot of front damage.
The camera's rarely go that far back anyway, so I'm not sure it makes a difference
Old 14 Jul 2007, 21:37 (Ref:1963277)   #29
Steevp
Racer

England
Cambridge
Steevp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjones
She picked up 3 points for taking Matt Allison off during practise too.. bad weekend for Fiona.
Old 14 Jul 2007, 23:22 (Ref:1963333)   #30
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
If Gio has his engine woes sorted by tomorrow, I imagine he'll carve his way through the pack pretty quickly. And Plato is only a few cars ahead. Could we finally get to see the two title protaganists go door-handle to door-handle?
Old 15 Jul 2007, 09:48 (Ref:1963478)   #31
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Great first race, some good driving in horrendous rain. Win for Shedden, 2nd for Adam Jones well earned, and a brilliant run from the back for Neal for 3rd!
Old 15 Jul 2007, 14:50 (Ref:1963636)   #32
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hell of a weekend for Jason Plato, championship wise.
Old 15 Jul 2007, 15:23 (Ref:1963658)   #33
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yeh didn't see that double coming at all.

What on earth was Chilton up to in the 1st race !
Old 15 Jul 2007, 16:25 (Ref:1963710)   #34
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend
What on earth was Chilton up to in the 1st race !
Starring in an am-dram production of Bambi on Ice, it appeared.

I do feel sorry for Tom this year. Things just aren't going very well.
Old 15 Jul 2007, 16:55 (Ref:1963720)   #35
UNiiQU3
Rookie

United Kingdom
Cheshire
UNiiQU3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well im glad I only went on the saturday looking at how wet it was today! Although the racing was top quality from a spectators point of view.

Also I met John Surtees while I was there, seems he has a relation who races in F-BMW, is it his son or other relation?

Last edited by UNiiQU3; 15 Jul 2007 at 16:58.
Old 15 Jul 2007, 17:17 (Ref:1963730)   #36
gregc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedford
gregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just back from a very soggy Donington, some really entertaining stuff despite the weather though. Good, clean scraps right through the field too. I was surprised at Plato's pace, especially after his moaning a week or two ago about the car being too slow. Looks like the Seat boys have managed to find some extra performance at last. Vauxhalls very disappointing, BMWs likewise (I thought Donington was supposed to suit them) and the Civics continue to impress. Shedden beating Neal again is interesting, he's starting to look like the no.1 at Dynamics...

Really chuffed for Adam Jones, great drive in race 1.

Oh - and Henry Surtees is indeed John's son.
Old 15 Jul 2007, 18:14 (Ref:1963751)   #37
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Been home about hour, I think I have just about dried out now. That was one wet day. A good result for Adam Jones, I thought Mike Jordan was on for a win in Race 3. Let's hope the weather is better at Snetterton in 2 weeks time.
Old 15 Jul 2007, 18:21 (Ref:1963758)   #38
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
People must have been watching different races to me.

All I saw was three largely very dull BTCC races, the second one was ok with the Neal and Plato battle, though for me sitting at Craners / Old Hairpin, the racing was largely very stale.

Its odd, as wet races usually = much excitement, but I saw none of that really.

To top it all, the event scheduling was controlled by some lunatic, who decided to postpone or red flag all the early races, then bring lunch forward by two hours, so then we had a clear track with no rain falling for well over an hour with no track action, its almost like they were waiting for the torrential rain to start again before sending cars out (only to get red flagged and sent back to parc fermé).

Once again, the Clio's saved the day at the 11th hour at the end, by far the most entertaining thing of the day, I for one will think twice about spending £25 plus extras again trackside.

Last edited by Sodemo; 15 Jul 2007 at 18:27.
Old 15 Jul 2007, 18:42 (Ref:1963765)   #39
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo
To top it all, the event scheduling was controlled by some lunatic, who decided to postpone or red flag all the early races, then bring lunch forward by two hours, so then we had a clear track with no rain falling for well over an hour with no track action, its almost like they were waiting for the torrential rain to start again before sending cars out (only to get red flagged and sent back to parc fermé).
I think that may have been something to with live TV, so you can thank ITV for that one. Even the rain was pretty bad they could have raced on through it IMO.
Old 15 Jul 2007, 18:52 (Ref:1963768)   #40
gregc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedford
gregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo
People must have been watching different races to me.

All I saw was three largely very dull BTCC races, the second one was ok with the Neal and Plato battle, though for me sitting at Craners / Old Hairpin, the racing was largely very stale.

Its odd, as wet races usually = much excitement, but I saw none of that really.
Well, I watched race 1 at Craners and there wasn't much excitement, but races 2 and 3 offered plenty of action at the chicane - maybe I got lucky with where I was watching.

Agreed on the scheduling - according to one of the guys in the paddock the Clios were rescheduled for safety reasons, but I suspect the real reason was to make sure the ITV schedule wasn't disrupted.
Old 15 Jul 2007, 19:30 (Ref:1963792)   #41
Alan
Racer

United Kingdom
Rotherham, South Yorkshire, UK
Alan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Overall given the conditions I thought it was a good meeting - my only gripe is the lack of any traffic management. It took me longer to complete the last couple of miles than it did to get from Sheffield.
Old 15 Jul 2007, 19:36 (Ref:1963798)   #42
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The BTCC races loooked pretty good on TV, with plenty of overtaking and relatively few crashes considering the conditions. Great to see Adam Jones getting a big result in race one.
Old 15 Jul 2007, 19:44 (Ref:1963802)   #43
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregc
Looks like the Seat boys have managed to find some extra performance at last. Vauxhalls very disappointing, BMWs likewise (I thought Donington was supposed to suit them).
Had we had a dry meeting, I imagine the Seats would have floundered, and the BMWs excelled as expected. However, as the races were conducted in near-biblical conditions, it's no surprise that the rear-wheel drive Beemers suffered.
Old 15 Jul 2007, 19:51 (Ref:1963811)   #44
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This time last year - Me included - would have been complaining about bad driving - Plato was a prat - Neal was an idiot etc, etc.

Considering the conditions, Donington is difficult in the wet at the best of times, I thought (on the TV) it was pretty good.

Mind you, I watched the Superbikes at Oulton afterwards. Now that was something different
Old 15 Jul 2007, 19:55 (Ref:1963815)   #45
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Plato in particular has cleaned up his act this year. He seems to have adopted Matt Neal's successful title-winning gameplan of staying out of bother and finishing every race in a points paying position.
Old 15 Jul 2007, 20:04 (Ref:1963821)   #46
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
I hate to do this but I fear I must have a rant about TV.

As a number of posters have already pointed out, various races were postponed and the scheduled generally messed about with at short notice, but noticeably all the BTCC races started on time. I realise the conditions were terrible, I should know, I was stood in it, but at times it seemed farcical. After the Clio race got moved there was no reason why BTCC race 2 couldn't have started 15-20 mins earlier to relieve what was clearly going to be an ever more over-running timetable. Same story with race 3 - BMW's get called off and we sit for an hour waiting for the next race to start. Although it was never explicitly said it pretty obvious that live TV was calling the shorts.

As I've said, I realise it was difficult circumstances but this isn't the first time it's happened and not always because of the weather, and won't be the last.
Old 15 Jul 2007, 20:09 (Ref:1963824)   #47
reggiev
Rookie

England
reggiev should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
donington on sea

i have just about dried out from marshalling today, i was at the old hairpin. I thought the 2 days were fantastic. The weather did upset things today but plenty of hard work from the dedicated crew at the old hairpin to try and get rid of the newly formed swimming pool the racing went ahead after the torrential downpour. Just to bring home the dangers of our chosen hobby, in the porsche race the marshall post (No 9) took a direct hit from one of the entrants at some rediculous speed, thankfully no injuries to the marshalls that were stood at the post at the time and the driver thankfully was just shook up. The concrete wall infront of the post was moved back about a metre as was the post itself. All in all a great weekend ruined by our great british weather.
Old 15 Jul 2007, 20:14 (Ref:1963827)   #48
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
The driving standards today where spot on, IIRC I don't think we had a safety car in either race 2 or 3.

Having said that Mr Stringfollow nearly managed to crash the safety car on the sighting lap before race 3 at Schwantz Cerver, for me it was save of the day !!!
Old 15 Jul 2007, 20:20 (Ref:1963835)   #49
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
I think that Cayenne's at it's limit most the time. Would hate to pay for the tyres on that.

As for the TV, surely leaving an hour is slight overkill on the scheduling part. Perhaps they could have shortened the races like Oulton Park.
Old 15 Jul 2007, 20:25 (Ref:1963840)   #50
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend
I think that Cayenne's at it's limit most the time. Would hate to pay for the tyres on that.
It wasn't the Cayenne this time it was the 911.