Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 5 Apr 2013, 07:34 (Ref:3229410)   #101
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've thought about that to, short time between the races and he also is a permanent driver. Though, he has another car, Skoda Fabia Mk1, used last year by PG and Rådström
Old 5 Apr 2013, 09:04 (Ref:3229429)   #102
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
And also remember the basis fo that car are Jernbergs, and he ran for a year in GRC
Old 5 Apr 2013, 11:51 (Ref:3229474)   #103
rx-guru
Veteran

European Union
Western Lower Rhine area of Germany
rx-guru should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfades View Post
I've thought about that to, short time between the races and he also is a permanent driver. Though, he has another car, Skoda Fabia Mk1, used last year by PG and Rådström
Didn't forget this one, but my source (close to him) claims no, nevertheless. Time will tell.
Old 5 Apr 2013, 12:34 (Ref:3229497)   #104
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes it will
Old 10 Apr 2013, 08:04 (Ref:3231856)   #105
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Pastrana/Menzies team launch video...

http://youtu.be/bnYhtv6COI0
Old 24 Apr 2013, 09:53 (Ref:3238801)   #106
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Seems the talk I heard in the paddock at Round 1 of the British Championship was spot on...

...great to see Prodrive getting involved with rallycross.
Old 24 Apr 2013, 11:05 (Ref:3238836)   #107
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Forgive the double post, but I can't edit my old post. Official press release from Prodrive here:

http://www.prodrive.com/p_releases.html?id=380

Interesting to read they are sticking with the 1.6 powerplant. The lightweight package worked well for the Mtechnologies Xsara last year though, so could be a competitive car?
Old 24 Apr 2013, 12:14 (Ref:3238855)   #108
USRallycross
Racer

United States
Minnesota (the True North)
USRallycross should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Should be good for rallycross if they can develop this to a viable option - especially as the MINI shape doesnt change as often as Ford's and Citroen's so less expense.

Very interested to see how it goes.

Mark
Old 24 Apr 2013, 13:52 (Ref:3238899)   #109
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Prodrive is joining - amazing!

Who built the DS3?
Old 24 Apr 2013, 13:54 (Ref:3238901)   #110
Lizardfolk
Rookie

Taiwan
Lizardfolk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rallycross seems to be seriously gaining momentum. Nice to see a motorsport growing although personally I'd like to see the races be longer
Old 24 Apr 2013, 14:36 (Ref:3238919)   #111
rx-guru
Veteran

European Union
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
Forgive the double post, but I can't edit my old post. Official press release from Prodrive here:

http://www.prodrive.com/p_releases.html?id=380

Interesting to read they are sticking with the 1.6 powerplant. The lightweight package worked well for the Mtechnologies Xsara last year though, so could be a competitive car?
The Xsara of Laboulle had a 1.7+ litre engine (one can have up to 1764cc for to race with 90kgs less than the other SuperCars) and it was raining in Dreux, which gave him some extra advantage. Think that a true 1.6 will never be on par with those up to 2058cc engines. If it was 150+kgs less it would maybe another story...
Old 24 Apr 2013, 15:32 (Ref:3238939)   #112
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by rx-guru View Post
The Xsara of Laboulle had a 1.7+ litre engine (one can have up to 1764cc for to race with 90kgs less than the other SuperCars) and it was raining in Dreux, which gave him some extra advantage. Think that a true 1.6 will never be on par with those up to 2058cc engines. If it was 150+kgs less it would maybe another story...
Yeah, fair points Guru. I have read in a few places that the MINI WRC test mule was clocked lapping Lydden a second or so off the front running Supercars at the British round (anyone know if thats fact or not?) but, like Dreux, that was on a wet circuit...

...to be honest I think the Countryman is a hideous looking rally car, plus I'm not overly enamoured with Liam. I've long been a fan of Prodrive though and its great to see another manufacture taking interest, so for those reasons I hope the car does well.
Old 24 Apr 2013, 16:51 (Ref:3238966)   #113
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
If the 1.7L has advantages against the 2L why didn't M Technologies put the 1.7L engine in the Albatec Peugeots?
Old 24 Apr 2013, 17:43 (Ref:3238971)   #114
rx-guru
Veteran

European Union
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
If the 1.7L has advantages against the 2L why didn't M Technologies put the 1.7L engine in the Albatec Peugeots?
Who claimed it has?
Old 24 Apr 2013, 18:16 (Ref:3238978)   #115
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rx-guru View Post
Who claimed it has?
Not claiming but wondering:

Quote:
If MTechnologies was more than satisfied with the 1.7L I assume they would keep that engine.

Shame they use the Countryman.
Old 24 Apr 2013, 21:08 (Ref:3239045)   #116
rs 200
Racer

rs 200 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That mini is one ugly looking car , that 1.6 will never have the torque of the 2.0l 200 nm down ,great news prodrive on the game but sure they could have picked a better pr person to drive it ,sorry but he will never get my vote .
would like to see m-sport come into it then maybe a few more manufactures will follow ,but I can only see this happen if global / x games comes to uk .
And a place for that would be great to see brands back again .
Old 25 Apr 2013, 06:36 (Ref:3239157)   #117
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Does anyone really know why Doran seems to keep getting these sort of deal?

How on earth can this happen? the kid ether crashes into everyone or bails completely as he has in the first two rounds of stuff this year!

I just don't get it really, I could understand them going with someone like Timur, Holte, Lysen etc, but not Doran, for me he simply isn't a great advert for rallycross, or a great person to be involved with as a sponsor or team.

Other than the fact he is a bit loud and talks the talk a fair bit and somehow is sponsored by a company that promotes "athletes!!!!!". I guess thats enough.
Old 25 Apr 2013, 07:56 (Ref:3239178)   #118
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunder
Does anyone really know why Doran seems to keep getting these sort of deal?
Have to admit I asked the very same question myself.

I personally think he is a good driver, as he has moments where he seems to be absolutely flying, its just the personality and attitude that puts me off him. As has been said, I don't think he presents a good image for rallycross, nor for any driver (sorry, should I say "athlete"?) who wants to win racing fans over.

Perhaps his biggest qualification is that he is the only young (sorry Procter and Scott! ) UK driver in the Supercars competeting in Europe at present? Perhaps thats why they've gone for him?
Old 25 Apr 2013, 08:29 (Ref:3239190)   #119
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Well yes he is British as are Prodrive, and you can see they are maybe trying to get into the market

But its hardly a big market is it! They might sell one or two cars!

And of course they have a lot of tech tog et rid of as MINI are not really competing as a works team in WRC anymore
Old 25 Apr 2013, 12:01 (Ref:3239254)   #120
USRallycross
Racer

United States
Minnesota (the True North)
USRallycross should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The answer is obvious. Money. Ever dealt with Dave Richards? If you think Prodrive is funding all of this give me a call because I have a bridge to sell you!

Mark
Old 25 Apr 2013, 12:13 (Ref:3239259)   #121
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
I didnt believe he was funding anything, they make a shed load still out of selling Subaru nWRC parts, as do Msport with Ford

Part of the reaon Peugeot never sold much over here with the 206 despite it obviously being e good WRC car was that there was no spares backup and they would have to have an engineer present!

Fair play to them then, never kew they were that rich, maybe they need to get rid of a few quid!
Old 25 Apr 2013, 13:13 (Ref:3239274)   #122
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
I didnt believe he was funding anything, they make a shed load still out of selling Subaru nWRC parts, as do Msport with Ford
I await correction from those more in the know (which is quite likely to be most of you!), but I don't think Prodrive are as involved with Subaru these days. As far as I'm aware the vast majority of spare parts they had onsite were sold to Subaru WRC Spares a few years back.

I think Prodrive may still run WRC Imprezas for customers though?
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
And of course they have a lot of tech tog et rid of as MINI are not really competing as a works team in WRC anymore
Prodrive were talking about running their own team in 2013, but that all seems to have gone very quiet. Perhaps Sordo departing was the nail in the coffin for that idea? The MINI doesn't seem to have attracted many privateers either so, as you say, rallycross offers a way to make use of all the tech.
Old 25 Apr 2013, 15:31 (Ref:3239321)   #123
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I await correction from those more in the know (which is quite likely to be most of you!), but I don't think Prodrive are as involved with Subaru these days. As far as I'm aware the vast majority of spare parts they had onsite were sold to Subaru WRC Spares a few years back.
There are still a lot of people running group N imprezas - and Prodrive still provide the backup for those as far as I know?

Quote:
The MINI doesn't seem to have attracted many privateers either so,
I guess the MINI is more expensive to buy/run than the Fiesta? Also the lack of works cars means that there aren't the numbers available trickling down to other teams - with the Fiestas and Citroens the works teams run it for a year, the junior team runs it for a year and then it's sold off to whoever (over simplified massively but you get the idea ). If you're not getting that progression of new build works cars every year there simply aren't the 'old' cars out there for people to use?
Old 25 Apr 2013, 16:29 (Ref:3239333)   #124
Minicross424
Veteran

United Kingdom
Ashford Kent
Minicross424 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Have to admit I asked the very same question myself.

Perhaps his biggest qualification is that he is the only young (sorry Procter and Scott! ) UK driver in the Supercars competeting in Europe at present? Perhaps thats why they've gone for him?
Well there is Binks of course.
Lets not beat about the bush he was going to win the GP untill the C4 decided to hang a right and push him into the tyres.
Old 25 Apr 2013, 16:53 (Ref:3239340)   #125
rx-guru
Veteran

European Union
Quote:
Originally Posted by USRallycross View Post
The answer is obvious. Money. Ever dealt with Dave Richards? If you think Prodrive is funding all of this give me a call because I have a bridge to sell you!

Mark
I bet you're right. Block has bought a car from M-Sport, Doran a car from Prodrive. What else?